test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When you reach a certain age...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
You will have likely had a job where you had to do work, and that work won't always go smoothly. You'll have people who depended on you for something and for one reason or another you couldn't meet the expectations on the first go-around.

You may even get lucky enough to have your own business, and then you'll realize that money can be a factor in what you can accomplish with that business.

After experiencing these things first-hand, you'll be a little more forgiving and patient when you see someone else having trouble... yes, even when they were supposed to be doing something for YOU... even if you paid them already.

You'll let a lot more slide :)

(at least, we can all hope so)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    agreen123 wrote: »
    You will have likely had a job where you had to do work, and that work won't always go smoothly. You'll have people who depended on you for something and for one reason or another you couldn't meet the expectations on the first go-around.

You may even get lucky enough to have your own business, and then you'll realize that money can be a factor in what you can accomplish with that business.

After experiencing these things first-hand, you'll be a little more forgiving and patient when you see someone else having trouble... yes, even when they were supposed to be doing something for YOU... even if you paid them already.

Sir you are correct......but...what happens if this isn't your first job, or even your second, what if it is your third job in 7 years, will you let things slide then?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Amen to that!

I had to go to Canada (Quebec) for a job I had to do on a computer system. I was younger and eager to show the company what I could do... so I told them I'd have it done in one day. They asked if I was sure and I was like... yeah no problem. So I get there read to do the job only to realize all too late that everything was in French. I don't speak French. Needless to say it wasn't done on time. I spent another day up there in a hotel without packing extra clothing. So... lesson learned. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010

This isnt my job its my hobby, i EXPECT to be entertained the way i paid to be!

Some moron the other day in a post compared my job to be as important as a garbage pickup worker... lmao

I wonder if he thinks his family is garbage when I'm the one treating them at the hospital.

Oh and in my line of work, mistakes can cost someone's life WHICH I CAN'T MAKE hence I AM NOT FORGIVING!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Some moron the other day in a post compared my job to be as important as a garbage pickup worker... lmao

I wonder if he thinks his family is garbage when I'm the one treating them at the hospital.

Oh and in my line of work, mistakes can cost someone's life WHICH I CAN'T MAKE hence I AM NOT FORGIVING!

But if nature, people and companies did not make mistakes, or things didn't go wrong, then you would not have a job in the first place.... so it seems a little hypocritical to expect there never to be a problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Jolly good for you!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah with age you learn a little patience and understanding in most cases. The downtime is annoying but some people are just losing it.

I think most of the rage going on in the forums is a mixture of MMO addiction and immature people just looking to vent.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lowery wrote:
    Yeah with age you learn a little patience and understanding in most cases. The downtime is annoying but some people are just losing it.

I think most of the rage going on in the forums is a mixture of MMO addiction and immature people just looking to vent.

I concur :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lowery wrote:

There is a difference between patience and blindly letting people walk all over you. If you want to call getting taken advantage of "patience" go right ahead but once people figure out you are weak and they can do whatever they want to you you truly are worthless.........
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i EXPECT to be entertained the way i paid to be!

Oh, I bet you say that to all the ladies...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sir you are correct......but...what happens if this isn't your first job, or even your second, what if it is your third job in 7 years, will you let things slide then?

It could take 20 years to get it right. MMO's aren't like building legos.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Sure, but the clock is ticking and my prime playing time is ****ing away at a rapid rate along with my patience. Yep, I've had bad days at work too, and had projects that just turned out to be excrutiating nightmares. I got my TRIBBLE handed to me, and deservedly so. So Cryptic TURN F'ING TOO and get the servers back up! :mad:

I'm not going to make excuses for these inevitable problems at a games launch, but I am going repeat what myself and others have said. This isn't Cryptic's first time out of the chute, and it's their second time using this engine for an MMO. I know that so I expect more and apparently so do a lot of other folks.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Envy much? (you know who) oh well im off to better pasture. Seems QQ and envy is common here.

Btw I'm not been hard on cryptic, but hey they had WEEKS preparing for this day, its 2010 people not 2004 with "brand new MMOs for the first time. Infact whats this? their 4th? 5th? MMO?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Agreed. Although...

I've had several jobs over the years where making a mistake and letting things slide could not be condoned, and I still have jobs where that is the case. That is, I train people on how to use software and when not doing that, I teach people how to write creatively. So if I tell one of my delegates the wrong thing, or advise them on a poor way to do something, that is simply not acceptable, and what is more, since I'm self employed, if I **** up, they'll never come back to me again; moreover, garnering a reputation for inaccuracy or letting things slide would be incredibly damaging. It's simply not an option for me.

Having said that, I'm aware that MMOs have problems at launch, which is inevitable when you release software that has to work on near-infinite combinations of PC components, so despite my job being demanding as far as standards go, I don't expect an MMO to match those standards, since it would be foolishly over-demanding to do so.

Al
  • Options
    edited January 2010

yeah someone in your line of work made a mistake which he and other so called experts missed and I discovered 5 months later so instead of being off work for 3 months and 2 operations I've been off for 10 had 7 ops 2 more to go amd another 5 to 7 months off so I am not forgiving of people in your line of work but this is a game, no-ones going to die or be crippled by a few bugs or some downtime.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chock wrote:
    Agreed. Although...

I've had several jobs over the years where making a mistake and letting things slide could not be condoned, and I still have jobs where that is the case. That is, I train people on how to use software and when not doing that, I teach people how to write creatively. So if I tell one of my delegates the wrong thing, or advise them on a poor way to do something, that is simply not acceptable, and what is more, since I'm self employed, if I **** up, they'll never come back to me again; moreover, garnering a reputation for inaccuracy or letting things slide would be incredibly damaging. It's simply not an option for me.

Having said that, I'm aware that MMOs have problems at launch, which is inevitable when you release software that has to work on near-infinite combinations of PC components, so despite my job being demanding as far as standards go, I don't expect an MMO to match those standards, since it would be foolishly over-demanding to do so.

Al

We're human, we make mistakes you can't be absolutely right all of the time. The trick is to learn from those mistakes so you don't make them again. :)
This discussion has been closed.