test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Liberated Borg Opinon

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I don't have one so this is not about how they play or look or anything like that. This is just a fun, debate opinion thread about their impact in the Star Trek Universe.

So, where are they all coming from? I mean we all know its not really easy to 'liberate' a Borg drone. Maybe the Federation found a transport ship that was being assimilated and rescued a bunch of people? Or perhaps they are remnants of Hugh and his batch of Borg?

Relax folks I know its just a game, I just enjoy speculating the what ifs of how this could become part of cannon. :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I guess there were many disconnected borg ships drifting around after Admiral Janeway virussed the hell out of them...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    knotoc wrote: »
    I don't have one so this is not about how they play or look or anything like that. This is just a fun, debate opinion thread about their impact in the Star Trek Universe.

So, where are they all coming from? I mean we all know its not really easy to 'liberate' a Borg drone. Maybe the Federation found a transport ship that was being assimilated and rescued a bunch of people? Or perhaps they are remnants of Hugh and his batch of Borg?

Relax folks I know its just a game, I just enjoy speculating the what ifs of how this could become part of cannon. :)

It's gonna take more than a transport ship to account for all these numbers. Half of the people in game are liberated Borg. Maybe a borg maker got loose, was captured by a traveling circus barge, and the ringmaster charged people $239.99 to be changed into one, and then changed back..... and that traveling barge was called the U.S.S. Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Interesting source of speculation... I rolled one myself, but basically made him look like an ordinary human, so the only Borg aspects are his traits/skills. Since they let ya make a biography, I basically said my toon had just had assimilation begun on him when he was rescued by shipmates during the tutorial "attack". I figured since they've done it before at least twice that I can think of, to varying degrees, why not?

Since they let you write a biography; personally, the explanations some people might give (if they decide to bother) could be interesting... Mine hardly had any effort in it of course, I'm sure there's much better stuff out there. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just want a Borg with some specialization skills such as Soldier so that I can use a Gun or Covert so I can go Hand-to-hand Martial arts. other wise the Knlingons are going to eat me alive.... Not to mention useless in PvE as well :eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't say it's hard to liberate a Borg... what's hard is to rehabilitate, but even that varies depending on how long they've been Borg.

The Borg children on Voyager, for instance, weren't that hard since they weren't Borg for very long. Seven was tough, though, because she had been Borg for most of her life. In reality... any liberated Borg that's human probably wasn't Borg for very long, since most of those that find themselves before the Borg to get assimilated are adult Starfleet officers or ship crew.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, I twisted and bent my borgie into a Geordie-that-almost-turned-into-a-UV-creature with pale skin and then added red hair and all the blue veins showing. :)

Background? He materialized out of the character transporter this way. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well. It has been about 30 years, give or take, from the time of Voyager hasn't it? Starfleet has only gotten better against the Borg in that time. So, perhaps they've devoted some serious resources to the process of liberating Borg.

Instead of just leaving the drones to die after a battle, I'm guessing they try to save as many as they can.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Liberated Borg came a couple hours after the start of Head start...

If you have done the tutorial mission in the very beginning, you would know that your ship is under attack by the Borg.

It stands to reason that you must have been at least partially assimilated just before the tutorial and your ships doctor was able to help you.

As far into the future as this is taking place; there has been plenty of time to study what we know about the removal of Borg implants.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My personal fanon explanation? (Fanon of course being "stuff what is my personal pet idea that is in no way official")

I'm thinking that sometime post Voyager return, Starfleet mounted an assault/rescue mission on a world or two that the Borg had assimilated during some prior raid. It was possible given that the Borg were disrupted and disconnected; freeing maybe thousands of drones. (All of this would have had to occur before things started going south with the Klingons of course)

... of course I admit I mostly like that explanation because it would make a fantastic Star Trek movie, properly fleshed out of course. <. .>
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My liberated borg is a survivor of the last stand at the end of open beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you want a ..borgy looking borg, thats easy in the character creator.

now if you want 7 of 9..... :p no help there
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe its caused by the Tutorial mission. Whatever was making those borg act stupid is how so many of them were Liberated.

The question is, why were they all messed up like that? Drugs? Alcohol? Rock N Roll?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mine was 'liberated' from the C-store quadrant. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    personally i dont see the appeal. it wasnt worth the price of a lifetime sub, nor was the amazon preorder that compelling to me.

i did pay for the anual sub (as i can see myself playing at least that long) and the GS preorder for the Connistitution class .... blue phasers baby !!! but im sure even that wont last very long in the end
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    THORN74 wrote: »
    personally i dont see the appeal. it wasnt worth the price of a lifetime sub, nor was the amazon preorder that compelling to me.

i did pay for the anual sub (as i can see myself playing at least that long) and the GS preorder for the Connistitution class .... blue phasers baby !!! but im sure even that wont last very long in the end

Ditto.

Besides. Liberated Borg is just bad peoples.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I did roll a Borg but sadly did not write a biography for him.
    I suppose that since Voyager rescued Borg children, then it stands to reason that others may have too, or stole them to keep for experiments and they broke out.
    lol just a thought.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Keeryn wrote: »
    I did roll a Borg but sadly did not write a biography for him.
    I suppose that since Voyager rescued Borg children, then it stands to reason that others may have too, or stole them to keep for experiments and they broke out.
    lol just a thought.
    I'm imaginging one of them writing a book - I was a Borg Baby.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I mean we all know its not really easy to 'liberate' a Borg drone.
    so sayeth the "what's next" article:
    Khitomer Accord - Travel back in time and uncover and participate in the events that led to the release of old Borg you encountered in the Tutorial Episode.
    the tutorial borg coming from the past means they are severely disadvantaged technologically and probably cannot link to the new post-janeway borg collective. easy prey for borg liberators.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They all came from a colony of drug addicts. They basically assimilated a bunch of potheads, crackheads, speedpoppers ect and put them all on a cube. Their cube didn't function quite right and was found floating in space aimlessly. Rumor has it, it took more time to detox them than clear the borg implants. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    so sayeth the "what's next" article:

the tutorial borg coming from the past means they are severely disadvantaged technologically and probably cannot link to the new post-janeway borg collective. easy prey for borg liberators.

Actually, the Borg in all facets would happily assimilate the borg from the past. There has to be something else causing them from being able to connect. If you are trying to use One from the Voyager series as an example (The Borg that generated itself using the 29th Century technology) its a false comparison because he was created and existed outside of the collective. The Borg as an entity doesn't shun anything. They consume everything and make it Borg.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't see the apeal of playing a borg either...but hey...some folks do, go for it :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    stararmy wrote: »
    My liberated borg is a survivor of the last stand at the end of open beta.
    Same here star... My Borg's BIO...

Name: Vash Baylez
    Birth date (star date): March 29, 2377 (54238.6)
    Biography:
    Born in 2377 to Tesia and Vaylor Baylez, a Wyngari diplomat, Vash was assimilated by the Borg in 2384 during an attack on his home world. Vash was liberated from the Borg in 2409, during a deep strike incursion by the Borg into Sol Space. Shortly after his liberation, Vash demonstrated a unique set of tactical skills that assisted in the repulsion of the Borg invasion force. Determined to gain his experience and tactical knowledge, the Federation made certain provisional assurances to Vash in return for his service. The exact details of these assurances remain classified. Many of Vash’s fellow officers consider him to be cunning, intelligent, insightful, ruthless and authoritative. Vash does not shield his thoughts and can be abrasive during first contact with other individuals.

-saige-
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just like the eye-implants.

I mean..er...Assimilated at the end of open beta, outside a bar on Sol Station. Now he FIGHTS SPACECRIME.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    they should have followed the Star Trek: Destiny novels and left the Borg for DEAD. I thought that story was a very fitting end to the borg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PhiloPhi wrote:
    I'm imaginging one of them writing a book - I was a Borg Baby.

Or perhaps a book titled...

Drum roll please...

"Me are the Borg"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    3 Borg and a baby?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    THORN74 wrote: »
    they should have followed the Star Trek: Destiny novels and left the Borg for DEAD. I thought that story was a very fitting end to the borg
    I have not read the Destiny storyline... :(

But, according to what I read in the Path to 2409 backstory, the Federation did leave the Borg for dead (true for a time they concentrated on research and development for armaments and upgrades that would help in case of a borg attack)... But after not seeing or hearing from the Borg in quite a few years, starfleet, in their infinite wisdom, decided to stop investing so much time and effort into the Borg and closed shop... This made Annika (ex 7 of 9) extrememly upset, so upset that she resigned her position...
    Elsewhere in Starfleet, after more than two years with no reports of Borg activity in Federation space, Starfleet Command has decided to dismantle its Borg task force and use those resources elsewhere. “We can’t keep waiting for something that may never happen,” says Durant. “And most of our analysts now agree that Voyager dealt them a bigger blow in the Delta Quadrant than we initially believed.”

One Federation expert on the Borg who does not agree with Starfleet Command’s decision is former task force leader Annika Hansen, formerly known as Seven of Nine. She leaves her role with Starfleet in protest of the decision and accepts an offer to continue her research at the Daystrom Institute. When pressed by the Federation News Service for comment, the former Borg said “The Borg will return. If the Federation is not prepared, it will be their end.”

-saige-
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like the ability to play a Liberated Drone, the Borg Efficiency is having a slightly noticeable effect on ship functions and the Nanoprobes do seem to charge the personal shield a lot quicker.

The only down side I found is that the Borg parts are a bit… bulky, I suppose. I was expecting some “minor implant” features like Seven Of Nine’s “optic array” (or whatever the technical name is for it). Maybe even the star/web looking implant that pops out of Picard’s face in First Contact’s intro… Saying that I might of liked a laser pointer on my head lol :)

But as a few of you have said, I made mine look human. The only Borg effect is that his eyes are reflective and he has a "twitchy" stance.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My borg was assimilated during the first contact attack on sol space.

She survived onboard the enterprise-e after the other borg were wiped due to being in the jefreys tubing, where she was found and promptly taken to an institute for 'rehabilitation' :p

I wrote a very lengthy thing on my profile for it.
This discussion has been closed.