test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

5 man Raid content announced but Cryptic Give us 10 man/Lady Please!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Cryptic has announced a series of 5 man/lady content but considering this is Star Trek and we have Fleets where is the 10 person content? Some have come here saying well t his isnt 'WoW' this is true but then again folks theres many many games that have 'raiding content' either casually or hardcore.

Cryptic has said if the demand is there they'll add it but I carnt see why 10 person's cannot engage fully grouped up as a Fleet to complete hard content as well. Call me crazy but Fleets are a group who want to play together and Fleet Actions will add so many other random people and you cannot Q' your fleet and join.

Cryptic please consider adding 10 man Fleet exclusive raiding content it doesnt have to be major hardcore, t he rewards can be on par of the '5 man content that you consider raid' but please its something i'm sure quite a few people would love to experiance.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    We already have fleet actions

Really adding things that are not fleet actions is a mistake. Its usualy either one ship or a couple ships, or entire fleets of ships. Im not sure 5-man stuff makes much sense.
    edited January 2010
    I personally feel that 10man raids are restricting to much players in time and equipment.
    You can easily find 4 more players and enjoy the content than 9 more if you are not in a fleet.

Also there will be a lot of hazard with itembalancing, when 10man instances yield better equip than 5man.
    If oyu don't have raids larger than 5 man you don't need to balance the game around the 25% of players who actually will raid, so it's fairly easier to adjust content for equip around 5 man.

Nevertheless of course, more fleet actions with 30+ players would be fine.
    edited January 2010
    Gunfugue wrote:
    We already have fleet actions

Really adding things that are not fleet actions is a mistake. Its usualy either one ship or a couple ships, or entire fleets of ships. Im not sure 5-man stuff makes much sense.

Fleet Actions are not 'Fleet/Guild's they are randomly grouped up limited to groups of 5 people this is not what i'd call a 'raiding content'.

A game needs to cater for all the only alternative is let fleets/guilds Q the fleet for one so its fleet/guild exclusive but at the moment Cryptic have limited grouping to a max of 5. This is a step back not forward in MMO's IMO.

Whats wrong with catering for all? and why should it be all about the un-guilded fleetless people? surely its a good thing if Fleets/Guilds can complete content as a large group ?

Lets not also make the assumption that only 25% people will raid I think sometimes people need to remember that its probably a lot greater then 25%. Its definatly something i'm sure more people would love to see.
    edited January 2010
    I actually like how WoW does this one with the 10 and 25m versions of the same content. Maybe STO could have 5 and 10m content with different difficulty/rewards?
    edited January 2010
    I actually like how WoW does this one with the 10 and 25m versions of the same content. Maybe STO could have 5 and 10m content with different difficulty/rewards?

I was thinking th at too myself since STO scales dependant on people in team anyway.
    edited January 2010
    Honvik wrote: »
    Fleet Actions are not 'Fleet/Guild's they are randomly grouped up limited to groups of 5 people this is not what i'd call a 'raiding content'.

A game needs to cater for all the only alternative is let fleets/guilds Q the fleet for one so its fleet/guild exclusive but at the moment Cryptic have limited grouping to a max of 5. This is a step back not forward in MMO's IMO.

Whats wrong with catering for all? and why should it be all about the un-guilded fleetless people? surely its a good thing if Fleets/Guilds can complete content as a large group ?

Lets not also make the assumption that only 25% people will raid I think sometimes people need to remember that its probably a lot greater then 25%. Its definatly something i'm sure more people would love to see.

You can go to a different instance if you want to play with someone in it.

Ive never liked guild centric things in mmos. In my first mmo there were few guilds, with hundreds of people each, and the entire server was a community. Over time guilds get smaller and more exclusive and nobody plays with anybody outside of their guild and its just not very conducive to a server wide community.
    edited January 2010
    Gunfugue wrote:
    You can go to a different instance if you want to play with someone in it.

Ive never liked guild centric things in mmos. In my first mmo there were few guilds, with hundreds of people each, and the entire server was a community. Over time guilds get smaller and more exclusive and nobody plays with anybody outside of their guild and its just not very conducive to a server wide community.

? Well this is your choice its not like all Guilds are this way inclined. In fact a guild is a community too
    edited January 2010
    The heavy instancing in STO already fractures the overall sense of "community," in my opinion.
    edited January 2010
    Honvik wrote: »
    ? Well this is your choice its not like all Guilds are this way inclined. In fact a guild is a community too

A small community which mmo trends force to be the primary community in an mmo, as opposed to one that is a group within the community. Thus making the mmo less massive.
    edited January 2010
    Aracos79 wrote: »
    The heavy instancing in STO already fractures the overall sense of "community," in my opinion.

Eh, dunno there. Zone chat behaves like Trade from WOW anyway. And during the 'end game' you really only see folks in either the City hubs or the instances in WOW. And while leveling up, at least now, it's so desolate that until the later points you don't tend to see others that often anyway.

It's a valid opinion none-the-less, I personally don't perscribe to it is all :).
    edited January 2010
    I personally don't understand why there wouldn't be bigger content. 10Mans are perfect! In Beta, each instance had about 50 people in it, finding 9 others wouldn't be hard at all. The thing that makes me worry, is why bother joining Fleets/Guilds if everything is a on a small to single scale? There is no reason to really recruit as a Fleet since the second you get over 5 people in your Fleet, you will be unable to group with anyone else. The whole point of Fleets/Guilds is Teamwork, to overcome hard challenges and to see content. For all I care, leave the loot the same and allow us to group up with 10 Players so we can experience the strategy and positioning of the game's challenges.
    edited January 2010
    I think guild/fleet related instances could be epic (like a singularity that takes you back to wolf 359 - 10man). Patching 5 man fleets together through instancing isn't a horrible idea (wow uses this through its "find a dungeon/revamped lfg mode") but sometimes (like myself) you want to go it alone.

Personally, I'd like to see one massive instance where 500 ships duke it out with 500 other ships.
    edited January 2010
    Losbullitt wrote: »
    I think guild/fleet related instances could be epic (like a singularity that takes you back to wolf 359 - 10man). Patching 5 man fleets together through instancing isn't a horrible idea (wow uses this through its "find a dungeon/revamped lfg mode") but sometimes (like myself) you want to go it alone.

Personally, I'd like to see one massive instance where 500 ships duke it out with 500 other ships.

CAGE MATCH!!! I dont think the server hamsters can hold up captain!!

EDIT: to add more

I do love how STO has alot to offer with single players in mind, pvp, missions you name it! One of the reasons I've fallen in love with STO theres plenty to do singly and I am not forced into making groups, like WoW has the 3-5 Man Quest, in STO if there are people in the zone doing the same mission, we are just auto-grouped and I love that. For Endgame, there should be options for 10 Mans, with or without improved loot is pretty much a side detail, theres no better feeling than having your 10 guildies/friends take out that big bad boss while the content is fresh (yeah you can go back when the level cap is increase but its just not the same)
    edited January 2010
    I am in no way against solo / small group players getting to play the game how they want. I myself enjoy playing alone a lot of my time. However I would like the option to group up with 10 - ? players and participate in some difficult content that requires strategy of group members.

I came from 5 years playing wow where I went from full on soloer to leader of a raid guild during WOTLK. I really enjoyed places like Ulduar and even the new Naxx. The sense of working as a group really mattered and I would like to see that in STO.
    edited January 2010
    Totally agree, why cant STO be just like WoW, I mean like come on!
    edited January 2010
    Adalwulff wrote: »
    Totally agree, why cant STO be just like WoW, I mean like come on!

Facepalm....ENGAGE!

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

There are other MMOs with 10M or more Raids, LOTRO for example... Just because 10 people are grouped together doesn't mean its auto-WoW.
    edited January 2010
    problems with 10/25/40 man raids is bigger the raid,more of the slackers.
    i have no problems with inexperienced people,but with those that come raiding,but mostly they just scratch their nuts,with veins on their foreheads popping when they dont get purple pixel loot.

oh,and this IS NOT F****** WOW IN SPACE
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I don't really count 5-mans as "RAID"... That's just group play. Raid goes beyond the standard group...

We need 10 man and beyond. No more soloing Cubes. Let me take a fleet to those things!
    edited January 2010
    I'm pleased more have joined in this discussion.. :) Yes one thing I agree on is a motto ' Content for All ' :)
    edited January 2010
    schulz wrote: »
    problems with 10/25/40 man raids is bigger the raid,more of the slackers.
    i have no problems with inexperienced people,but with those that come raiding,but mostly they just scratch their nuts,with veins on their foreheads popping when they dont get purple pixel loot.

oh,and this IS NOT F****** WOW IN SPACE

25 and 40 yes there are slackers but again they will be slackers no matter what. Someone will always go AFK right at the boss fight "BRB DOG ON FIRE" with 10 Mans that isn't really the case, if one person is slacking, the enrage timer pops up and you get 1shotted. And even in 5 Mans, you get someone who put all their Skill Points in the Ensign Rank skills so they are slacking on damage and offer no utility.

No one said this was WoW in space. People are just using WoW to give examples of PvE Raid type encounters because thats the most common MMO on the market and people would have an easier time relating to it. You don't give an example to help people relate to it if no one has ever heard of it. It would be like trying to explain the Movie Titanic, "Its like Gone with The Wind, only without the War"
    edited January 2010
    reon wrote: »
    25 and 40 yes there are slackers but again they will be slackers no matter what. Someone will always go AFK right at the boss fight "BRB DOG ON FIRE" with 10 Mans that isn't really the case, if one person is slacking, the enrage timer pops up and you get 1shotted. And even in 5 Mans, you get someone who put all their Skill Points in the Ensign Rank skills so they are slacking on damage and offer no utility.

No one said this was WoW in space. People are just using WoW to give examples of PvE Raid type encounters because thats the most common MMO on the market and people would have an easier time relating to it. You don't give an example to help people relate to it if no one has ever heard of it. It would be like trying to explain the Movie Titanic, "Its like Gone with The Wind, only without the War"

This is very correct. I would find it very difficult to relate raids in terms of MMO's other than WoW simply because I havnt played any of the others long enough. Hence my 5 years with WoW. I certainly dont want this to be wow in space, hell I left that game and looked at Star Trek mainly because it was so different to Warcraft. Enough for me to go lifetime.

All im trying to say is that I enjoy challenging content for a group of 10+ players, I find that fun. I think a lot of the negatives towards raiding come from perceived elitist attitudes and this certainly is true in a few cases but many many raiding guilds are a group of close friends that like to work together in a game to complete difficult tasks.
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I don't really count 5-mans as "RAID"... That's just group play. Raid goes beyond the standard group...

We need 10 man and beyond. No more soloing Cubes. Let me take a fleet to those things!

That would be a perfect setting for Fleet Actions.

I still dislike the idea of Raids with 10/25/40 people.
    You will be forced to have a basic squad and filling the open spaces with friends, noobs and pro players.
    This haven't been done well in other games as player controlled loot will always be an issue for conflicts.

If loot in Raids would be distributed randomly on all players, I could live with it. Player controlled loot distribution is an absolut NoGo.
    edited February 2010

Correct. Variety and choice and two of the most important words in the MMO industry. More variety and choice = happier playerbase.

There are reasons for all different kinds of playstyle content including solo, group (5 man), random raid (fleet actions) and non-random raid (multiple 5 man groups manually created by the players)

Like you say, 5 man group content can be given an extra level of difficulty with appropriate rewards based on the risk, and then it becomes raid content.

Of course, it would be nicer to have specific scenarios for different types of playstyles, but we have to start somewhere. Creating a new difficulty level for existing content logically must be much easier to implement than having to write and create completely new scenarios.
    edited February 2010

That sounds like a pretty good way to go to me.
    edited February 2010
    Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post
    --
    That sounds like a pretty good way to go to me.

It doesn't need to have better items if you like to raid.

Different rewards result in a elitist culture and greedy behaviour which isn't fun for most people.

If you want to raid, fine, but please don't enter UbahPhatItems just because you get the fullgroup of 25 man with you.
    edited February 2010
    Well Tbh. Having Fleet/Guilds able to Q' for Fleet Actions would be a start and havign mroe then 5 in a team would be a help! Then the ML can dish out the loot. This would be a good stop gap for now surely?
This discussion has been closed.