test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On away teams, how do you use the BO's?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in The Academy
I hate the UI for the BO's. I can't seem to do anything I want with them.

1. Can you hotkey your BO's ground abilities? Some of them seem to be really dumb about how they use those abilities, I want to be able to assign their abilities to my keypress. I don't want to have to move my mouse over there and manually click on them.

2. How can you tell what you told your BO to target? I wanted my BO to target me, so that they would always just attack what I attack. But once you assign them a target, there's nothing indicating what their target is. Also, I couldn't seem to remove their target.

Does anyone have any tips on using your BO's effectively in ground combat? So far I end up just mashing the shoot key and not caring what they do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I hear ya. I kind of gave up trying to micro manage them. Now I just use them as fodder and try to stay in the back CCing (science capt). They stay alive pretty well, and I try to make my science BO a betazoid with good heals.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    okkay wrote: »
    1. Can you hotkey your BO's ground abilities? Some of them seem to be really dumb about how they use those abilities, I want to be able to assign their abilities to my keypress. I don't want to have to move my mouse over there and manually click on them.

Not that I've seen. Maybe the powers are in the powerlist (P) and you can hotbar them? Not sure though, and not ingame to check.
    okkay wrote: »
    2. How can you tell what you told your BO to target? I wanted my BO to target me, so that they would always just attack what I attack. But once you assign them a target, there's nothing indicating what their target is. Also, I couldn't seem to remove their target.

There is a UI indicator of a roman numeral (I, II, III, IV) that will appear next to a mob that denotes what an away team member has been told to target (they have corresponding numerals on the team list). As to clearing off orders, I believe you just right click the command button in question.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    aye is like a mini control apnel abover them i generally position them and hold them in place and pull the mobs to me and them , then see how the battle is going , make sure i have one with some sorta healing skill and they generally look after you.

And have to watch not to over agro as ell as if equip the BOs with assult guns sometimes they fire off aoes left right and centre, so generally i like to postion them around a corner, pull the mob and then take it from there.

I thikn cryptic also incoperated a pause feature so can maybe pause and reissue commands a bit like Dragons Age/ Baulders Gate style.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There are buttons above your away team members that say things like "Passive (don't attack)", "Target what I target", etc. I haven't really played around with those, but they seemed to work during open beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I run with:

Me (Security): One Expose Cone Attack, One Exploit Cone Attack
    Security BOF: Expose Attack
    Security BOF: Expose Attack
    Science BOF: Exploit Attack
    Engineering BOF: Exploit Attack

So I switch back and forth. Science (Med Tricorder) and Engineer (Shields) heal. Security team exposes the enemy, Science and Engineering occasionally (when the AI figures it out) finish things off. I adjust based on the situation. I try to equip the BOFs with AOE weapons as to maximize the fact there are four of them, but minimize the effects of them being stupid.

It tends to work itself out when your four normally clueless bridge officers just shoot -everybody- with their AOE phasers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Personally, I equip all my boffs with weapons that have an 'expose' special attack, my captain with two weapons with an 'exploit' special attack (preferably one single-target and one AoE) and have 'group attack my target' bound to a mouse button.

On away missions, I generally just let them do their thing, using the 'attack my target' button to focus fire on tough opponents, and taking advantage of any 'exposes' that my boffs cause, switching weapons as appropriate.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ^ I like that better than what I posted. So much so that I'm gonna start doing that. Heh.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    if you're alone on away missions you can stop time and enter your commands without stress...

There are some pet_commands available for use with the / bind command, e.g. for the "attack my target"

iirc /cmdlist gives you a list of all commands, look for those with "pet" in their name