What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Speak ENGLITCH?

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    gnartron wrote: »
    Who cares the topic is about acronyms and and blatant hijacking of the english language for little to no purpose. Go ahead and cut my post up, you are missing the point.
    gnartron wrote: »
    so I'll just LOL this.

No, the point has become to mock you.

:rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    Oh, I'm gonna love these forums. It's the perfect storm event where the weather fronts of Trek geekery and nerdery will collide with gaming geekery and nerdery in a squall of nerdrage the likes of the Internets has never seen before.
    edited January 2010
    Gillwynd wrote: »
    fascism: (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Here's a small treatise for you, since you think you're all cute and smarmy with your forum etiquette now and what not. It's this thing called semantics and it was a loose and colloquial use of the word. Put simply, the OP in his first post requested that the mods lock but not delete his thread.

The stifling of opposition and criticism and a request to the governmental system (Cryptic), I would say, fits at least a large portion and commonly referred to definition of fascism.

To respond:

How is it helpful? Maybe if someone realizes they're being priggish and the like, they might chill out some.

How is it even close to accurate? See above.

So then, people who disable comments on youtube are fascists. Also, your response attempting to chill some people out (in other words trying to get them to stop saying what is on their mind) could in the same way be construed as a "stifling of opposition and criticism."

It's not really acceptable to go around labeling someone a terrorist or equating someone to Hitler. So why is it ok to label some random person as a fascist? It's very strong language and should not be used so frivolously. We're talking about a game.
    edited January 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Oh, I'm gonna love these forums. It's the perfect storm event where the weather fronts of Trek geekery and nerdery will collide with gaming geekery and nerdery in a squall of nerdrage the likes of the Internets has never seen before.

OH man I love the reply. But I laughed so hard when I saw the avatar. wow thats funny
    edited January 2010
    Banar wrote: »
    So then, people who disable comments on youtube are fascists. Also, your response attempting to chill some people out (in other words trying to get them to stop saying what is on their mind) could in the same way be construed as a "stifling of opposition and criticism."

It's not really acceptable do go around labeling someone a terrorist or equating someone to Hitler. So why is it ok to label some random person as a fascist? It's very strong language and should not be used so frivolously. We're talking about a game.

I'm just glad I didnt have to be the one to tell him..........
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to the world of online gaming

We use acronyms, abbreviations and spelling variations for common use terms and phrases.

Don't like it? Sorry to burst the bubble but these have been around since pretty much the dawn of online gaming, some hearken back as far as networked games of Doom multiplayer deathmatch.

STO is a game, a MMORPG and by extension it is going to have these spoken written and typed by its community of players. There is no changing it or stopping it. We're gamers. We are legion. As the pwnerer would say, you can deal with it or gtfo.
    edited January 2010
    Let's keep things focused on STO please.
This discussion has been closed.