test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Showstopper: Server drops and/or takes forever

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
For over a WEEK now, I have been completely unable to play STO.
I can understand there are server issues and this is only a beta but...

Even when in the game, if I even transition from one zone to another, whether from sector to sector, sector to system, or system to ground, it takes an exceedingly long time to load. When it does, finally, I either have no control of my ship (it drifts with little to no steering, and impulse/warp speeds do not matter), have no view of my ship at all (or my character if on the ground) for extended periods of time, or, I cannot see my ship AND I FALL IN SYSTEM SPACE!!!

When I cannot see my character it ~could~ take upwards of 10, 15, 20+ minutes before I do, or, most often the case, I get disconnected all together and have to relog in. When I'm in sector space, logging in isn't a huge deal. Seems to go nicely, but if I'm in system space I get kicked into sector space, which means I then have to attempt transitioning again, OR, if I'm DCed while on the ground (such as Starbase 1, or vulcan), it's just as bad as trying a transition.

Over all, to get from sector space to anywhere else, including all of the disconnect/reconnect issues, it could take me upwards of an HOUR to do something that should only take me a MINUTE at most.

As I have said, I have been in this hell for a week! My character has never been able to advance beyond level 7 because of all of the disconnects and poor transitions. It's not my connection because I can easily log into the other MMO games I have available to me without issue.

Head start is in a week and STO goes live not long after that. COME ON WITH THOSE SERVERS!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Oh... I should probably also mention...

I'm in the EST time zone and I'm playing the game in Windowed mode
    edited January 2010
    Ditto.

I have been having the same issues since I started playing OB and have made several posts about it.

The last couple of days I'd say it has improved but only slightly. I can acutally squeeze in half a mission or so before the game becomes completely unresponsive as noted above.

Someone please tell me how I can engage Cryptic with an official support ticket about this so I know my issue is getting attention since right now I will demand a refund of my pre-order from Steam since the game is unplayable.

I have tried all recommendations so far including running with zero firewall/anti-virus etc. I have NO problems with any other recent MMO game. The only problems I have are with THIS game. I get 60+ FPS according to the /showfps label.

I will keep looking for ways to get an official support ticket with Cryptic...

Frustrated.
    edited January 2010
    I have created an official support ticket about this through the website. As of now, no response or reply. Game is still unplayable...
    edited January 2010
    I didnt have this issue till i went to beam down to Chiron. Im on the mission Enemy of my friend. everything was find till i went to beam down to the planet. now i cant even log back into the charter becuase i was in the process of beaming down to the surface.
    edited January 2010
    This has been my experience all Open Beta (except for the first three days)...

Two nights ago, I attempted to visit the surface of Vulcan. Got to sirius, got to the vulcan system (though, when I got there my ship didn't load for 10 minutes and I fell strait down), then when to loaded into Vulcan itself. When I got to the planet, my character didn't load, half the NPCs were bodiless, and it remained that way for a solid 20 minutes (which is how long I bothered to wait for it). So, that's roughly half an hour just to get to the surface of Vulcan. Now... I exited the game and attempted to log back in. Each time I tried I ended up sitting on "Retrieving List of Maps..." (I tried 3 times).

Yesterday I logged in. First attempt stuck on "Retrieving List of Maps...". Second attempt I actually loaded right onto Vulcan surface! Yay. Looked around then decided to head out. Transported to my vessel then... stuck on loading the map from Vulcan ground to Vulcan system (By stuck, I mean I waited 5 minutes, then went to use the bathroom, then made myself some dinner... and ate it... and it was still on the load screen). I Shut the program down and attempted to log back in. Stuck on "Retrieving List of Maps...". Again, I attempted to relogin 3 times and got stuck at the maps EVERY time.

As of right this moment, I'm on my third attempt to log in and I've been sitting at it all while I've been typing this.
    edited January 2010
    Oh wait!
    Third attempt actually logged me in! I loaded right into the Vulcan system and clicked the button the leave into the Sirius syetem...

That was five minutes ago... still loading sirius...
    edited January 2010
    No issues in days, I'd say it's time to call your ISP.

High chance of a bad route from ISP to STO's co-location, your probably getting packet loss, especially if you travel through AT&T.
    edited January 2010
    weasul wrote: »
    No issues in days, I'd say it's time to call your ISP.

High chance of a bad route from ISP to STO's co-location, your probably getting packet loss, especially if you travel through AT&T.

Why only STO then and not CoH or Guildwars causing the same problems? If I were having issues with my ISP wouldn't it be causing issues with ALL MMOs and not just one? Nor does it explain why I wasn't having this serious an issue while in Closed Beta and only in open beta.
    edited January 2010
    OMG dude ..Chill out. You must really be loving this game a LOT to be complaining like this... IT is BETA...go outside and get some fresh air...
    edited January 2010
    I'm afraid you seem to have missed the point.

Just because Cryptic has more then 1 MMO and even if it is still at the same co-location, it does not mean it is all using bandwidth from 1 provider, they may be using an alternate supplier for their beta testing that may provide cheaper bandwidth then those providing currently for COH and Guildwars. It is something we do quite often in the Telecommunications Industry.

As for the comment in regards to your ISP, I am not saying your ISP itself is having an issue, however the route they may be passing the media through may be experiencing bad hops and dropping packets. I've noticed over the last week or so helping customers that AT&T in particular has been having some nasty issues in terms of packet loss, so if your ISP is passing through AT&T hops your going to have problems.

So by all means, it is very possible to experience these issues with only 1 game, I highly suggest calling them to see if they can give you some answers, without STO's DNS or IP it would be hard to do any kind of MTR Graph or tracert to get ideas.

You should note that this is a trend very common with ALL MMO's which are fixed slowly but surely as i have described above, eventually the routes will all get fixed and you won't have these issues.

If enough people are having a problem it won't be long until STO puts up a thread like AION had where people would list their ISP's and the issues they were experiencing.

I'd love to know where their servers are hosted but I haven't had enough time to dig just yet.
    edited January 2010
    weasul wrote: »
    I'm afraid you seem to have missed the point.

Just because Cryptic has more then 1 MMO and even if it is still at the same co-location, it does not mean it is all using bandwidth from 1 provider, they may be using an alternate supplier for their beta testing that may provide cheaper bandwidth then those providing currently for COH and Guildwars. It is something we do quite often in the Telecommunications Industry.

As for the comment in regards to your ISP, I am not saying your ISP itself is having an issue, however the route they may be passing the media through may be experiencing bad hops and dropping packets. I've noticed over the last week or so helping customers that AT&T in particular has been having some nasty issues in terms of packet loss, so if your ISP is passing through AT&T hops your going to have problems.

So by all means, it is very possible to experience these issues with only 1 game, I highly suggest calling them to see if they can give you some answers, without STO's DNS or IP it would be hard to do any kind of MTR Graph or tracert to get ideas.

You should note that this is a trend very common with ALL MMO's which are fixed slowly but surely as i have described above, eventually the routes will all get fixed and you won't have these issues.

If enough people are having a problem it won't be long until STO puts up a thread like AION had where people would list their ISP's and the issues they were experiencing.

I'd love to know where their servers are hosted but I haven't had enough time to dig just yet.

My ISP is comcast, not AT&T, but, perhaps it is them. If it is... little I can do, I guess. I attempting to reinstall the game. Maybe I have a bad file or something. Probably not the case, but it gives me something to try.
    edited January 2010
    Same issues again today after latest patch. Still no response to support ticket.
    edited January 2010
    Comcast always seems to have problems with MMOs, some work and others are TRIBBLE. BBJones, do you have Comcast as well?
    edited January 2010
    The load screen going into the Sol system freezes on me. I started a Klingon toon because I just can't get onto my Fed anymore. The Klingon side seems to work fine for me or atleast I CAN play it. So I don't see it being a connection problem on my end. I really hope this gets fixed.
    edited January 2010
    Comcast always seems to have problems with MMOs, some work and others are TRIBBLE. BBJones, do you have Comcast as well?

I have high speed cable through Shaw, BC Canada. I haven't had any online issues like this of any kind with anything else, games or otherwise.

Knowing more about the STO server/location etc would be helpful but again in my case, the game is almost playable for the first few minutes, then it just gets worse and worse until it is unplayable.

Also I've never had this issue with any other MMO.
    edited January 2010
    so very sad... went on again later tonight to get much better game response... I was actually able to complete the Una mission... but oh wait, no, it didnt' actually complete...

despite me fighting all the battles 5/5 kilingon patrols, getting the message end squence then the depart system message and clicking on it, I didn't get get credit for the mission... yay what fun... (yes that was sarcasm)
    edited January 2010
    Same here. I'm on the East Coast, in NJ.. this is a showstopper for me. I really hope this is fixable. The game is built around so many transitions.. anything like this10% - 30% drop rate is unplayable.
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, this has suddenly started happening to me all the time. When I beam up from a planet. When I warp to a new zone. When I enter a new system. Anytime there is an instance hand off basically.

I made another character and I have found that if I log into that one, then back out I can get on my main again. BTW: Cryptic can you PLEASE not throw us all the way out to the enter password screen? If I select logout this character it should put me to the character selection screen, not to the password screen.
    edited January 2010
    protie wrote: »

Thank you very much for pointing this out! I put my name on that thread.