test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cannot train up with Captain's skillpoints - STILL

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
My BOs are all ok I can train them no problem. However, I have 8.5 K Captain skillpoints to train with and I simply cannot accomplish this. I've tried doing this 1 digit at a time, 1 skill at a time, multiple skills at a time...on the bridge, in space, on the space station...doesn't matter. I am NOT Saurian, I am human.

"There was an error" is what I get and I'm pretty much hooped.
I would have hoped to have seen and mess around with tier 3 ships before everything gets erased, this is truly annoying and I hope it gets worked out before Tuesday at 6pm. Seems like this may prevent me from doing so. This is not a whine, this is a request from someone who's reported multiple bugs and spent many hours helping test the game as so many others have been doing. Difference is everyone tells me their skillpoints bug has been fixed. I've been reporting mine since before the last 3 patches.

Please help?
Simple as that.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I too still have this problem. Stuck at LTC with over 5k saved up. Same problems as OP. Nowhere I go can I spend them and no different combonation of spent points will work.
    edited January 2010
    Bumping this because I fear it's gonna stay like this until wipe.
    edited January 2010
    I think I am having the same issue its just manifesting in a different way. I was grade 7 LtC yesterday and I happened to look a my requirements for next rank and it said 3 grades spend 18700 more skill points. Today I hit grade 10 and it still says spend 18700 more skill points, I have spent every skill point I have both on my officer and on my BOffs and it still says spend 18700 more skill points.

It looks like the ranking up isnt updating when you spend skill points at least that is what I am seeing
    edited January 2010
    Well this is fabulous. NOT fixed yet. Yay.

Well congrats, I'm finally p'd off. No I'm not quitting. No this isn't a gamebreaker...but MAN!

I just hit Lieutenant Commander Rank 11...I would be a Commander now and enjoying messing about with my new tier 3 ship but I cannot train up the extra 9000 skill points I need to MAKE Commander.

Seriously...? This is like the kid who thinks he's getting an Xbox360 for Xmas but when he opens up the box it's just a pair of socks. Kid sits there stunned beyond words with a tear in his eye while the entire room laughs it's TRIBBLE off at his broken hearted realization. Nice.

Total points spent 9600/18718
    Points available 9118.....

SO after all this, my testing, my playing..1 day before wipe...I cannot have the next tier ship because of this annoying glitch. Lovely.

I'm so happy. Think I'll go give myself a broken glass TRIBBLE to celebrate.

Ya know, I've been pretty understanding but this just annoys me to no end.
    I know...QQ poor me...but you have to admit if this was you it would be a different story.
    Rant off.
    edited January 2010
    You gave them an hr from when you reported it on the forums. They need to find the bug in the code first , then try a fix, see if it works, then push it to live. It's a harder job than you think.

rest assured though, that the game wont go live without it getting fixed. They know that people will stop playing if it happens in live.
    edited January 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    You gave them an hr from when you reported it on the forums. They need to find the bug in the code first , then try a fix, see if it works, then push it to live. It's a harder job than you think.

rest assured though, that the game wont go live without it getting fixed. They know that people will stop playing if it happens in live.

True enough bro, my frustration is with the fact that I've been hollering about this since 3 patches ago. Even if I got the impression I was heard that would be fine but so far I feel ignored. That and the fact I was excited to have a tier 3 vessel for the last day and a half of open beta...because I AM a fan of this game. Just feels like a kick in the nuts...it doesn't kill you but it makes you feel bad for a little while. Guess that's just how the dice rolled this time. See you in game.
    edited January 2010
    DeLacey wrote:
    True enough bro, my frustration is with the fact that I've been hollering about this since 3 patches ago. Even if I got the impression I was heard that would be fine but so far I feel ignored. That and the fact I was excited to have a tier 3 vessel for the last day and a half of open beta...because I AM a fan of this game. Just feels like a kick in the nuts...it doesn't kill you but it makes you feel bad for a little while. Guess that's just how the dice rolled this time. See you in game.

I totally understand, however, you need to realize that there are dozens of systems hooked into the skillpoints. They need to go through each line of code for every system to find the error. It might be a few lines are missing, having been deleted from a previous pathc, or it might be one letter of code that is missing, from 1 system.

As i said, this game has millions of lines of code, they need to check through a ton of stuff before they can get it fixed. hell, for all we know, it could be a bug in your character that transferred from one patch to another. You might have had a bugged kit in one patch, took it over to a new patch, and it's error'd your character.

Things like these are what cryptic has to look for.
    edited January 2010
    Actually, I have this same bug, and I, along with several others, reported this 4-5 days ago. I'm also just at the commander/T3 stage, with around 7000 unspent skill points that I just cannot spend. It's been a real moodkiller for me in these last days of testing, especially considering my missions are getting harder, and my skills aren't keeping up.

For completeness sake, I reported this bug both in-game, and on the forums.
    edited January 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    I totally understand, however, you need to realize that there are dozens of systems hooked into the skillpoints. They need to go through each line of code for every system to find the error. It might be a few lines are missing, having been deleted from a previous pathc, or it might be one letter of code that is missing, from 1 system.

As i said, this game has millions of lines of code, they need to check through a ton of stuff before they can get it fixed. hell, for all we know, it could be a bug in your character that transferred from one patch to another. You might have had a bugged kit in one patch, took it over to a new patch, and it's error'd your character.

Things like these are what cryptic has to look for.

Assuming they have good structured code, they should know where about to look.

Given the amount of network issues and the seemingly randomness of the problem for me, I'd like to assume it is a network issue. Also the simplicity of the operation that is being performed usually means that when testing this in-house they would have seen an issue such as this, which again leads me to believe there is some issue with sending the data over a slower network.

I could be completely wrong however, like you said there are a multitude of things that could happen, and it would be almost impossible to check every combination of character builds and items.
    edited January 2010
    I assume you're trying to skill, getting an error and not just giving up there. I assume you're trying immediately again, and keep on doing this until it accepts the skill point? Taken me 5 times once, when it does happen to me I retry it once and it takes the second time most the time when it does happen to me.
    edited January 2010
    Katiandra wrote:
    I assume you're trying to skill, getting an error and not just giving up there. I assume you're trying immediately again, and keep on doing this until it accepts the skill point? Taken me 5 times once, when it does happen to me I retry it once and it takes the second time most the time when it does happen to me.

Yeah I just tried and repeatedly tried 30 - 50 times in a row. Sucks.
    edited January 2010
    T_H_I_S_

S_U_C_K_S_

:mad:
    edited January 2010
    Stuck with the same bug myself. Annoying for sure, just praying it doesn't carry over in to live. Tried from different machines and connections. I'm reluctant to believe it's network related anyway because it's an instant error, no latency to it at all.
    edited January 2010
    While I sympathize, you did your job as a tester and you found a bug... can't really complain about that in a beta. Just hit the report key, file it and move along. If we were in release, I would be right with you crying buckets.
    edited January 2010
    Go to your bridge, then train..

It only works for me there at the moment.
    edited January 2010
    v0dalus wrote: »
    While I sympathize, you did your job as a tester and you found a bug... can't really complain about that in a beta. Just hit the report key, file it and move along. If we were in release, I would be right with you crying buckets.

Well really I have nobody to blame for this but myself...because I was all excited over the end beta event and having a shiny big new tier 3 ship...at the end of the day it's not changing my life but would have been nice. In hindsight after how this has gone, I would have done better just waiting for the game to go live. I don't feel as if anything I reported made any difference.

Anyhow see you in game when it goes live.