test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thermal and overheating issues!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Thermal issues:
Here is the break down with thermal (overheating) related issues. First off like most of the new generation games, Star Trek online is using a higher amount of CPU, memory, and GPU power to play. What this means is since a larger percentage of your hardware is utilized so there is an increase the amount of heat is going to be generated from your system. CPUs and GPUs are designed by default to be capable of running at 100% for longer periods of time, and this is something software and hardware developers test for. So a system running at 100% is completely acceptable, and should not cause issues.

So with this information in mind here are the most common causes for over heating systems.

Dirty case:
You computer can accumulate a large amount of dust from prolonged use. Cleaning your case with compressed air cans (That are designed for cleaning computers; DO NOT USE A COMPRESSOR) on a regular basis can help keep your system healthy. Refrain from using any type of cloth, paper towel, or fluids to clean you system. Make sure you use antistatic devices any time when you open your case to reduce the risk of damaging your hardware.

Insufficient Cooling:

In many instances the fans that are provided with your computer are the bare minimum for cooling. This is especially true if you have added new hardware to your system (I.E. Aftermarket graphics cards, additional hard drives, additional memory), and most of the time the default cooling cannot make up for the increase in heat. These issues can be resolved by adding more fans, larger fans, or different types of cooling systems to your case. If modifying your cooling systems is not an option there are cases available on the retail market that can provide additional or different cooling options.

Over clocking your system:
Over clocking is a method that is used by many advanced computer users to attempt to access more of the systems performance power by pushing the components beyond the factory limits. When you over clock a system there is a dramatic increase in system heat as your components are working harder than intended. If this increase in heat is not accounted for when you over clock system this can lead to hardware failure or abnormal functionality. We do not support over clocking as it can produce unseen issues and failures. If you are experiencing issues with Star Trek online and your system is over clocked please reset your system to the factory defaults. With the system at the factory defaults try to reproduce the issue, and it no longer appears then over clocking may have been the culprit.

If none of these factors apply to your situation please feel free to contact our tech support department.

http://www.startrekonline.com/support
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I've been running a program called "Core Temp" that gives me load and temp of each core. It will display it on the gaming keyboard like my G15(to monitor load and temps in real time while gaming), and/or it shows both high and low temp since the last time you reset the high/lows. So, I reset it, play some STO, then when I exit, I can see the hottest each core got.

Not responsible for any damage use of this program may cause!!! (ok, there's the CYA)
    http://download.cnet.com/Core-Temp-32-bit/3000-12565_4-10794077.html?tag=mncol

This only gives CPU Cores, not GPU cores.
    edited January 2010
    For GPU core temps i can recommend RivaTuner.
    However i am not posting a link, as it is also an overclocking tool and can damage your hardware if used improperly.
    But if your really interested just search on google, at least you know it exists.
    edited January 2010
    and now for the budget solution to this:

My gaming rig is having this issue, my fix was to open the case up, take a 10 dollar Walmart small floor fan and have it blow outside air over the motherboard and CPU. This cooled my temps down by 20c when running the game at max settings and have not had this problem since. Is is a stop gap solution until I can get a new heatsink and fan for my CPU.
    edited January 2010
    Turning off PhysX and Post processing as well as turning on Vsync and typing in the command the developer provided that caps my fps at 100 has cut 10C off my rig while playing.
    edited January 2010
    Yup my 9800 gtx custom heatsink with 12 mm fan is OVER HEATING and its not in OC
    Smart doc was showing 102 c wtf this is the only game that gets it overheated ?
    edited January 2010
    ICRageman wrote:
    Yup my 9800 gtx custom heatsink with 12 mm fan is OVER HEATING and its not in OC

My GTX 260 is about 80 °C when playing STO. And the Card is overclocked. Heatsink is stock...

Custom heatsink? Maybe it is not mounted correctly?
    edited January 2010
    I have also experienced this issue, esp. since the last patch. My CPU seems to be fine but its maxing out my GPU and the fan runs like crazy.. heck, thats just from trying to sign in :/ Games that run our systems like this are BAD imo, plz fiz the issue (if possible)

Lt. Cdr. Phelissa
    edited January 2010
    My cpu AMD 6400 + with core temp was going 80 c the 2 core's .
    My cpu aint that great no more still dont get how that game can stress my system like that i have no probs running crysis all max video setting .
    I am shure it is the last patch that hase some thing to do with it .
    edited January 2010
    In case it helps someone: Its very difficult to get reasonable temperatures on my crossfired 5870s with them right next to each other, I have seen the same problem with older ATI and Nvidia boards. Watercooling of course solves this problem. (ordered some anyway to enable more overclocking but its taking ages) In the meantime I have simply seperated them into opposite slots. If you have a tri SLI or Quad SLI / Crossfire motherboard make sure the primary card is in the slot it has to be. Then if your board permits seat the other card a little further away and not so it obstructs the fan of the other.. I have a heavily modded case with improved airflow but even so with one 5870 blocking the fan of the other it was never going to be happy as there was no way for the air to flow to the cards fan or hardly between the boards at all. Now the fans are nice and quite and idle along at much lower rpm well even under significant loading. They never seem to go over 35ish now and I keep them on auto. Temps are always under 61 on the primary card and far less on the second. STO doesnt seem to use crossfire anyway so the second card is largely irrelevant for now.

It seems obvious but alot of people dont realise that you can simply get a longer SLI or Crossfire cable and seat one card further away if your board permits it. The benefits too cooling are pretty huge. The difference between your fans howling away and being irritating as hell (maybe even risking heat dmg to your boards) and a quiet cooler PC.

Sorry if it seems obvious but I have seen so many people sticking them next to each other even though they dont need too I thought I would mention it. If you do this on an EVGA X58 board for example you get 1/2 mm between the 2 cards and totally obsure one of the fans. No wonder they get hot!.
    edited January 2010
    I haven't had any issues really with this since I turned down a lot of the graphical options, but it is kind of awesome that it can cause these issues (the fact that the game is that intensive). I'm sorry for those that have had broken computers as a result however.

-avery
    edited January 2010
    EVGA Precison v1.9.0
    Nvidia GTX 260
    Core Clock: 576MHZ
    Shader Clock: 1242MHZ
    Memory Clock: 999MHZ
    Fan Speed: 100%
    GPU Fans: 2
    Case Fans: 3
    PCI Slot GPU Cooling System: 1

Hardware:

System Information
    Time of this report: 1/17/2010, 08:01:26
    Machine name: M4CHIN3
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: P5K SE/EPU
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/14/08 11:20:57 Ver: 08.00.12
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3328MB RAM
    Page File: 1440MB used, 5211MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_12603842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 2288 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 881 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: ASUS PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: ACI VW192
    Monitor Id: ACI19AE
    Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (60.262Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.9062 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.16.11.9062
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 8/17/2009 00:57:00, 7569920 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-46A2-11CF-9478-6B321EC2C535}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x05E2
    SubSys ID: 0x12603842
    Revision ID: 0x00A1

Star Trek Online Client Graphic Settings:
    Display Mode: Fullscreen
    Fullscreen Resolution: 1680x1050
    Fullscrenn Refresh Rate: 60Hz
    Brightness: 100%
    Aspect Ratio: Auto
    Monitor Vertical Sync: Off
    Half Resolution: Off
    Antialiasing: 4x
    Dynamic Lighting: On
    Lighting Quality: High
    Max lights per object: 5
    Max shadowed lights: 3
    Texture Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
    World texture quality: 100%
    Character texture quality: 100%
    World detail distance: 100%
    Terrain detail distance: 100%
    Character detail distance: 100%
    Show high detail objects: On
    Max physics debris objects: 100
    Postprocessing: On
    Visual fx quality: High
    Shadows: Off
    Bloom quality: High
    Bloom intensity: 100%
    Screen-space ambient occlusion: On
    Cinematic focus(depth of field): On
    Underwater view: Off
    Reflection quality: High
    Trouble Shooting Options:
    Framerate Stabilizer: Off
    Auto-stabilize framerate: Off
    Limit CPU usage when inactive: Off
    Multi-core rendering: On
    Use full detail character animations: On
    GPU-accelerated particles: On
    Reduced file streaming: On
    Software Cursor: Off

GPU Temperature reaches 104C after reaching the 5th spawn in the Eihress system the system then green screens and the computer will only respond to a cold reboot.

Conversely Sector Space and other Episodic areas only get the GPU temperature up to around 86C.
    edited January 2010
    If you can post links to pictures of your case together (front and side) and with the side off (to see air-flow) we can attempt to make recommendations on increasing the cooling of your computer.
    edited January 2010
    Ok, now cryptic is telling me how to build my rig. I have a coolermaster stacker case, nvidia edition. 4 120s in the side, one 120 on the top, 120s in front and back, zalman cpu cooler on phenom X4 955. 6 gigs mushkin ram and 2 8800GTX's. I can play any other game I choose maxed without my rig sounding like a 747 at the airport rdy to take off, and your telling us that our rigs are dirty or we need more fans? Fix your ****ing coding.:mad:
    edited January 2010
    If you don't want to utilize your graphics card to its maximum, turn down the graphics.

I have dual 9800GTX SLI, QX9650, 4GB OCZ Platinum RAM 1200W Thermaltake power supply and an Antec 900 case with a Scythe Ninja II heatsink and 2 additional Scythe Fans.

I have absolutely zero issues with heat, fan noise, or anything running maximum graphics 1680x1050.

I'm not saying that their code couldn't be improved, I am simply trying to get people to stop blaming their hardware issues on Cryptic. For example, there was a version of NVIDIA drivers where the fans would get stuck in "3d mode" and wouldn't slow down after exiting a game. TONS of people blame these issues on a "recent patch" of some random game.

If a game was released that pushed your system to its maximum, the fans would be spinning as fast as they can to keep cool, this is not a problem with the game but a limitation of your hardware.

The 8800 is a 3 year old card which is ancient compared with new cards...heck my 9800GTX is almost 2 years old now so it is obsolete too. Have you seen the new NVIDIA cards, apparently they need their own DEDICATED airflow otherwise they will overheat when fully utilized.

This is the PC world, you guys should be used to this sort of thing by now.

If you don't like it, play X-box (red ring of death?) or how about PS3 (dead CPU cores within 2-weeks?) or how about the Wii (Slow crappy graphics, choppy sequences?). Everything has its problems, be patient for new patches that might assist aging hardware, buy something that can handle the game without pushing your hardware to the limit, or turn down the graphics. Easy solution.
    edited January 2010
    ICRageman wrote:

Did you remember to put down enough (and not too much) thermal paste?
    edited January 2010
    How do I change my fan speed.

This is my video card ccc

http://img130.yfrog.com/i/startem.jpg/

what do i adjust?
    edited January 2010
    Ok, now cryptic is telling me how to build my rig. I have a coolermaster stacker case, nvidia edition. 4 120s in the side, one 120 on the top, 120s in front and back, zalman cpu cooler on phenom X4 955. 6 gigs mushkin ram and 2 8800GTX's. I can play any other game I choose maxed without my rig sounding like a 747 at the airport rdy to take off, and your telling us that our rigs are dirty or we need more fans? Fix your ****ing coding.:mad:

no *****

I have dual 80mm fans on my vid card a heat sink larger then a volkswagon with dual 80mm fans a hard drive fan and four case fans.

I dont think I can get any more cool are in the dam thing unless I put it in the frige. The ungodly amound of noise this thing gives off if so I never have to deal with BS like this.

Dont tell me how to build my rig, it runs @ 100% and never gets over 58c will being OC 17% with the vid OC @20 over and never hit more then 50c. I ran this game flat out for 16 hours last week and ever sinse 1/20 I cant even play for more then 20 minutes. YEA ITS MY PC
    edited January 2010
    Donnis wrote: »
    no *****
    I ran this game flat out for 16 hours last week and ever sinse 1/20 I cant even play for more then 20 minutes. YEA ITS MY PC

If it was bad code, it would affect all the computers it ran on, not just a few select people. Just saying.

Run OCCT or an equivalent benchmark that can peg your GPU at 100%. If STO runs hotter than OCCT then maybe you have a valid argument.
    edited January 2010
    Im running a evga Nividia 9800 GTX+ and its runnin around 125 to 130F. Is this an acceptable temp
    edited January 2010
    My System Stats

My Case http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4592/dscf0002.jpg

Phenom II 955 at 3.5ghz with stock voltage, can take 24 hour prime no problems, cooled with a Zalman 9700
    Sapphire Radeon 5850 stock
    8gigs ram
    SIX hard drives, totaling 5TB of space

I played STO yesterday with every option cranked to the max. Bloom, AAx8, AFx15, 1920x1200 res, post processing on, everything

The highest my videocard got was 70C, in a 80F room. Videocard highest it recorded in use was 90% activation, I pushed it as hard as I could, fan went up to 28%

My CPU was at 35C after a hour of playing, fanspeed was recorded at 1800RPM

My CPU idles at 29C and fan at 1400RPM, my GPU idles at 53C and 24% fan speed

The highest I have stressed my system was Prime + Furmark, which pushed CPU up to 40C, and GPU up to 76C, recorded 370watts drawn from the wall

Furmark alone draws 270watts from the wall, Crysis draws 350 watts from the wall, Mass Effect draws 330watts from the wall

The highest I have seen, to date recorded on my UPS was 267watts drawn from the wall on a ground mission, which means my computer baring the 85% effecency of my PSU is only taking 227watts to power my system

This game is peanuts to run, this game works my system very little, WoW worked my system harder then this game, pulling 290watts from the wall in cities etc

This game CANNOT work your card harder then furmark will

To those saying your systems are "fine" no they arn't

Also to those with aftermarket coolers, those aftermarket jobs may be fantastic for keeping the GPU cool, but your voltage phase modulators are MASSIVELY undercooled with aftermarket jobs, if your System keeps rebooting and your GPU and CPU is cool and you got a aftermarket cooling solution for your videocard, get a program like Everest and monitor the heat coming from your voltage modulators, I bet they are easily heading up to 100C+ with aftermarket jobs
    edited January 2010
    Sytek wrote:
    Im running a evga Nividia 9800 GTX+ and its runnin around 125 to 130F. Is this an acceptable temp

Yes it is, you are nowhere neat maxing out the thermal envelope for that videocard, thats around 55C, GPU's normally can take around 80C before problems
    edited January 2010
    Some of you guys act like your stuff doesn't stink and I think it's hilarious. I'm running a.. look at sig.. and I simply use RivaTuner. When I load up STO I go into the Low-level system tweaks and set the fan duty cycle to 100%. I run the game on max everything with no FPS cap and I peak at 68c.

Stop blaming STO. Your cooling is insufficient. Stop whining and fix it.

I can't believe that Cryptic's devs are having to resort to basic PC Support on these forums. PC maintenance is something everyone should know that owns a system and if you don't and you try to "build" your own system without any professional education then I suggest to start listening to the people who DO have an education in IT and drop the holier-than-thou act.
    edited January 2010
    No it is not my rig its the patch I have 2 different STO games installed one from fileplanet and one from steam , now there is a big difference playing the game under steam STO thus not heat up ???

edited January 2010
    Sulda wrote: »
    Some of you guys act like your stuff doesn't stink and I think it's hilarious. I'm running a.. look at sig.. and I simply use RivaTuner. When I load up STO I go into the Low-level system tweaks and set the fan duty cycle to 100%. I run the game on max everything with no FPS cap and I peak at 68c.

Stop blaming STO. Your cooling is insufficient. Stop whining and fix it.

I can't believe that Cryptic's devs are having to resort to basic PC Support on these forums. PC maintenance is something everyone should know that owns a system and if you don't and you try to "build" your own system without any professional education then I suggest to start listening to the people who DO have an education in IT and drop the holier-than-thou act.

Your system stinks m8 !!!!
    edited January 2010
    ICRageman wrote:
    No it is not my rig its the patch I have 2 different STO games installed one from fileplanet and one from steam , now there is a big difference playing the game under steam STO thus not heat up ???

You're completely missing the point! It doesn't matter if you're overheating on STO or Hello Kitty, if you're overheating then your cooling isn't sufficient. It doesn't matter why.
    edited January 2010
    ICRageman wrote:
    Your system stinks m8 !!!!

At least it's properly cooled.
    edited January 2010
    hate to tell some of you guys but if most of our rigs are only dieing on this game then guess what, it aint our cooling. Clean out my case is the best they can say? really?

No game i have ever played has made my 8800gtx go to the temps it has in STO, the /maxfps cap helped but now after todays patch after protracted periods it will overheat again aka like 4 hours of game time.

Ive built my own pc's for over 8 years now, i have 0 cooling issues with this case, card, ram and proccessor, till now. They need to fix this issue before the game goes live you cant simply say oh its our fault for X reason or for XX reason.

And no GPUs are not meant to run at 100% for the entire length of a game, they are ment to be able to go up to 100% to handle sudden graphic intense times then back to a stable temp. If a car runs in the red line for to long guess what it blows the motor no diff with this.

Im not even running 100% settings just nice decent settings as the game looks great without having to go to max that says something. And anyone who says we that are having this issue are just lazy criers with bad cooling.... think what itd be like to have this issue in only 1 game ever with nothing else coming close to these temps.
    edited January 2010
    JToney3449 wrote: »
    hate to tell some of you guys but if most of our rigs are only dieing on this game then guess what, it aint our cooling. Clean out my case is the best they can say? really?

No game i have ever played has made my 8800gtx go to the temps it has in STO, the /maxfps cap helped but now after todays patch after protracted periods it will overheat again aka like 4 hours of game time.

Ive built my own pc's for over 8 years now, i have 0 cooling issues with this case, card, ram and proccessor, till now. They need to fix this issue before the game goes live you cant simply say oh its our fault for X reason or for XX reason.

And no GPUs are not meant to run at 100% for the entire length of a game, they are ment to be able to go up to 100% to handle sudden graphic intense times then back to a stable temp. If a car runs in the red line for to long guess what it blows the motor no diff with this.

Im not even running 100% settings just nice decent settings as the game looks great without having to go to max that says something. And anyone who says we that are having this issue are just lazy criers with bad cooling.... think what itd be like to have this issue in only 1 game ever with nothing else coming close to these temps.

I'm running the game right now at a GPU core temp of 58c on a very overclocked GTX 260. In your own words.. that says something.
    edited January 2010
    I've got a Intel Q9550 as processor running at its default speed 2.83ghz, 4GB of Ram Corsair at 1333, a very nice Antec PSU and my Graphic card is a Asus GTX 280 (The first version).

My previous computer had a GeForce 7800gs. I never had overheating problem with it, even if the case was not for gaming solution. The thing is the 7800gs doesn't produce the same heat than the GTX280. Not at all.

The case I have with this new computer is nice, has medium to good airflow but again it's not really for gaming. 4 games cause the failsafe mode to kick-in on my GPU: Lords of the ring Online (Which it never did on my other computer), Call of Duty modern Warfare 2, Star Trek Online and Dragon Ages origins. What ? dragon Ages Origins ? I saw Temp with CODMW2 going up to 135 C for MCP and 90 C for the GPU. Before starting each one of these game I set the GPU fan to 100% in the NVidia Control Panel (With the Performance/System Monitoring TOol Add-ins installed). Even with that CODMW2 and STO cause the GPU failafe to kick-in. So just before Christmas I bought a 15$ solution at Wal-Mart. A small floor cooling fan. On this computer and even my previous one, the panel is never close, so I just put the cooling fan near the opened panel and blow air at low speed, not even medium or high and my GPU never goes beyond 65C and the MCP stays at 105 C. Cool solution.

Here's the thing, physics law can't be changed. The amount of air that is pulled or pushed into your case must at least be the same goes out. And there must always a constant flow of air in your case. Blowing air (ambient temp) in an opened case at a certain angle so the air is not always pushed back into the case is a simple and enough solution.

Yes it's true some coding might be needed, yeah like giving an option to set the AA to 16x but in fact behind the scene the game set it to 4x so the GPU computes less and produce less heat, but as someone said in some previous reply, this is the PC world, the best rig last only a few days. There a thousands CPU/RAM/GPU/Motherboard solution out there it would take many years to code something so everyone is happy at a certain point of time and at that time that hardware would be obsolete. If you want to play games that never overheat a system and on which the hardware never change sfor years, then go with a console and stop whinning about your PC.

I've never whinned about a game causing problem on any of my PCs, what I do is I look for solution on my own.
    edited January 2010
    unbelieveable only on a game forum could people be viewed as whiners etc when they are beta testing something and report a problem. and if you expect everyone to find their own solution/workaround to this issue id like to remind you most of us dont have the money to go build a new pc every time TRIBBLE like this happens thats why the game company should do their best to resolve the issue at its CORE!

Telling people to dust out our cases isnt a solution there are far to many people with this problem to simply be bad cooling for god sake. If your not going to help come up with a reasonable fix people just dont post let the people with issues actually post and get read by devs. Devs dont want to read 21 pages of trolling unuseful junk.

If you pay for a product it should work, when did things turn into oh ill just patch it down the line slap a bandaid on it in the mean time.
This discussion has been closed.