test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Banner/Wallpaper After Dling from FP

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Hey folks,

After I downloaded the client from fileplanet, I noticed this banner/wallpaper that has set itself in the center of my screen. Its a nice Star Trek wallpaper-like picture that is 3 to 4 inches in height and around 12 to 15 inches in width.

I have checked to see if it is a wallpapper etc, also checked it as malware, adware , virus etc and nothing is removing it it. You cannot interact with it at all. It is not in your add and remove programs. I have uninstalled STO and that is not it.

I have a ticket in on this, but was hoping someone else had this issue and figured out a way to get rid of it.

Thanks
Bobby/Nuihc

Edit: I have run every malware test, virus scan etc that I could find and have uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times now. I am having no luck removing this banner from my display. The banner looks 100% official even though it is not and the only option it seems I have left now is to wipe my hard drive. It is really funny that this ting came on there when I started downloading this from FP and has been there ever since. Anyway, anyone have any new ideas on what to do? This thing has no properties or anything, it just looks like a picture, Going to try a SS and post that if I can.

EDIT2: Hey for for those that have followed this. I found the problem just now. It seems my 5 years had messed with my PC while I was in the captains rooms and he saw a banner from a website I was on and liked the Star Trek ships shooting at each other. To make a long story short I had been editting some pictures and making them into certain extensions on Firefox. My son just happened to click the mouse at the right moment and it created and saved an extension in firefox as an addon. I had looked at other FF possibilities and never thought to look at that since it looked like wallpaper. I got rid of the extension and everything is back to normal.

Thanks to those that tried to help.

Bobby/Nuich
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Nuich wrote:
    Hey folks,

After I downloaded the client from fileplanet, I noticed this banner/wallpaper that has set itself in the center of my screen. Its a nice Star Trek wallpaper-like picture that is 3 to 4 inches in height and around 12 to 15 inches in width.

I have checked to see if it is a wallpapper etc, also checked it as malware, adware , virus etc and nothing is removing it it. You cannot interact with it at all. It is not in your add and remove programs. I have uninstalled STO and that is not it.

I have a ticket in on this, but was hoping someone else had this issue and figured out a way to get rid of it.

Thanks
    Bobby/Nuihc

Try turning off your active desktop... then download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and Hijack This, run both.
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Definitely not something from us.