test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will this system config be enough?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
I'm buying a new computer and I wanted to get everyone's opinion as to whether or not this computer would be able to run STO with everything maxed out. No sense spending a TRIBBLE ton of money if I can't play STO in top form! :P Here are the specs on what I'll be getting:

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
Memory FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Graphics card 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
Display 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Processor is lacking a little, so you might experience some lag, but otherwise it looks fine to me.e
    edited January 2010
    Mobile GPUs do often have issues with fill rate though.
    edited January 2010
    I run full-settings on my 9800M GTS with more than acceptable framerates at 1920x1200. Not sure where the 230 falls into the spectrum, though.

CPU actually looks fine to me. My lappy's got a Centrno2 dual-core at somewhere around that clockrate.
    edited January 2010
    My laptop is running a Nvidia GeForce GO 7600, @1440x900. Seemed to work ok for CB.
    edited January 2010
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
    go to that site. it requires you to download a plugin but it will assess your system and compare it with the system requirments. couple of faults such as saying your graphics card is not good enough when it clearly is but just doesnt have the right name etc. very useful tool

EDIT--- personally i dont think you will encounter nay problems provided you run your processor at 2.8ghz not 1.6. everything else seems more than adequate
    edited January 2010
    Tanadord wrote:
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
    go to that site. it requires you to download a plugin but it will assess your system and compare it with the system requirments. couple of faults such as saying your graphics card is not good enough when it clearly is but just doesnt have the right name etc. very useful tool

EDIT--- personally i dont think you will encounter nay problems provided you run your processor at 2.8ghz not 1.6. everything else seems more than adequate

I went to that site, and it told me I am fine, but it did not recognize my quad Intel Xeon CPU 5160 @ 3.00 GHz processors. Seemed to think I had some other single processor. So my guess is with those, I'll be much better than fine :) Thanks for the tip on the site!
    edited January 2010
    That system exceeds minimum system requirements and actually meets recommended system specifications in all areas except graphics. The GT 230M is a little better than the desktop NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 cards but my guess is you will have to use a lower resolution than 1920x1080p for high settings or turn off/lower some settings for max resolution. I bought almost the same laptop you are looking at except I have 6gb of ram and a 17.3" screen (1600x900).

Manufacturer NVIDIA
    Series GeForce GT 200M
    Codename N10P-GE
    Pipelines 48 - unified
    Core Speed * 500 MHz
    Shader Speed * 1100 MHz
    Memory Speed * 800 MHz
    Memory Bus Width 128 Bit
    Memory Type GDDR2, GDDR3
    Max. Amount of Memory 1024 MB
    Shared Memory no
    DirectX DirectX 10.1, Shader 4.1