test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starfleet - Excalibur Class

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I do have one question. How many crew members? It says it can hold up to 1,100 passengers in an emergency but nothing about crew compliment.
    edited May 2009
    I like the look of it and the capabilities, a Nice Federation starship. Now how about some Klingon ship designs please.
    edited May 2009
    I would like to place an order for a dozen.
    edited May 2009
    jakeeyes wrote: »
    Great design Az. I don't blame you for being disappointed. It would have been great to contribute to STO. You gotta admit, though, Cryptic has a pretty sweet design too!

Glad you liked it! :)

Yeah, I'm liking the Excalibur too (well expect the nacelle pylon location).
    jakeeyes wrote: »
    You just described the Constitution. She was an outclassed vessel by Star Trek V, but in the hands of a great Captain, she was terrifying!

So true. She's slightly larger than the Intrepid, so hope she performs just as valiently than the Voyager did. ;)
    Kathega wrote:
    Ohhh i like the name of your class... the last real british battleship. A name which should be in Trek like the in Star Trek realy famous USS(HMS) Hood. A beauty and a proud to her fleet in her days.....

Here here!
    I think that your ship design looks great. Keep your chin up mate!

Thanks! :D
    edited May 2009
    Awesome. And in true ST fashion. Keep em coming
    edited May 2009
    woot nice ship indeed.. this ship sounds like a tank class kind of ship or a healer
    edited May 2009
    I cant stand it, i want to play now.
    edited May 2009
    I like it, I want one, and I expect I'll get one.
    I'm not a fan of the Constitution class configuration, but it has all the capacities needed to serve the Corp of Engineers.
    edited May 2009
    47Wasps wrote: »
    I noticed that to,my guess is that most of the engineering hull is cargo bays.
    I actually kind of assumed that most of the engineering hull is engineering. :p
    Since we see that it has a forward shuttle bay on the saucer. I bet the whole central deck of the saucer is a combined shuttle and cargo bay. That would be the most efficient design.
    edited May 2009
    Wow, might have to change the class of the USS Regel now. I've been in love with the constitution lately. This looks like a worthy decendant.
    edited May 2009
    Interesting idea... and a sexy look as well. Assuming it is a class we can play in game (I still wanna hear about the availability of the Nebula and Galaxy classes) I wonder hoe easy it would be to upgrade it? My understanding is that Starfleet vessels come with a significant amount of unused space to begin with, so that labs or expansions can be installed by the crews. If thats so it would seem relativly easy to install more science labs and such as needed...
    edited May 2009
    Any guesses as to what level players will have to be in order to access this vessel? Hopefully not too long.
    edited May 2009
    leonide wrote: »
    now we just need a playable Excelsior class, and i will be perfectly happy. :D

You read my mind. Excelsior was the best design they ever came up with (the original one, not the one with that silly bulge in the bow from Generations).
    edited May 2009
    Powerhelm wrote: »
    Nice...I assume this means we'll be flying around in the 25th century and someone will be able to get the parts to make this look exactly like the old Constitution class ships...

Now lets see the Not-Excelsior but exactly like the Excelsior class....

Overall, still pretty disappointed in the seemingly total lack of originality in the starship classes in this game, they're all either copy and paste from Enterprise (Raptor, Romulan bird of prey seen in recent Gamespot screenshots) or one of the shows, or they're "current" versions of the exact same design that was deemed outdated (Constitution = Excalibur, Newbie ship = Miranda) or they're slightly altered from existing designs (NX-91001 = Sovereign, Oslo = Akira with a Norway Saucer section)

I like the look but it looks almost exactly like the Constitution class. I really hope they don't give us the ability to make these things look exactly like the old constitution class ships....if that's the case they might as well let me make the Defiant class look like an F-16...

Cryptic didn't design that :p Some guy designed that 40 years ago and Cryptic put nacelles and hull texture designed for more recent TNG movie ships on it :p

I have to admit, this doesn't bother me. I'm actually looking to zoom around in some known, traditional hulls. Just personal preference, though. You're certainly correct in that they're all recognizable.
    edited May 2009
    It looks like a cross between the galaxy and sovereign class ships. For instance, take the basic outline and configuration of the Enterprise-D and up grade the nacelles, deflector dish and saucer with components from the Enterprise-E. Not a bad layout, but it does look like "starfleet" is looking back to his older roots to make better ships. (Like Ford did with the latest body of the mustang) I'm still a fan of the new Arika class ship, that NX they're comming out with.
    edited May 2009
    love it!!!! we learned some interesitng mechanics to, being able to put your shields over enemy ships, trasporting repair crew to other ships and being able to hold down other ships. It sounds like a tank? or a tank/healer...anyway it looks great!!
    edited May 2009
    Also remember that the Enterprise used an energy beam to recharge the Farpoint space jellyfish.

yes, the energy beam weapon used was a phaser
    edited May 2009
    Does this mean that Mackenzie Calhoun gets his Excalibur destroyed (again) by 2391 if they're commissioning a new Excalibur class of ships?
    edited May 2009
    BTW, why does a ship commisioned in 2391 has a higer registry number than a ship comisioned in 2409? (the NX-91001)
    edited May 2009
    Absolutely beautiful! One of many I can't wait to command!
    edited May 2009
    Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you Cryptic, I knew you wouldn't forget about the old classics.

When I saw it, I audibly gasped. I am SO excited, almost makes me want to be Fed. Sounds like alt consideration :D
    edited May 2009
    A beautiful design! An absolute credit to its historic lineage.

I'm sure it will be an incredibly popular command choice - I know I can't wait to be assigned one. :)
    edited May 2009
    Powerhelm wrote: »
    Overall, still pretty disappointed in the seemingly total lack of originality in the starship classes in this game, they're all either copy and paste from Enterprise (Raptor, Romulan bird of prey seen in recent Gamespot screenshots) or one of the shows, or they're "current" versions of the exact same design that was deemed outdated (Constitution = Excalibur, Newbie ship = Miranda) or they're slightly altered from existing designs (NX-91001 = Sovereign, Oslo = Akira with a Norway Saucer section)

I like the look but it looks almost exactly like the Constitution class. I really hope they don't give us the ability to make these things look exactly like the old constitution class ships....if that's the case they might as well let me make the Defiant class look like an F-16...

Ok, so I know I'm going to be crucified for saying so, but I never really was a fan of the old constitution class ship, and as such, this update wasn't as fulfilling as I may have hoped. That being said, before I get killed, I WOULD like to thank Cryptic for giving us anything :) If nothing else the tidbits released in it's description are amazing!

Now that thats been said though, it does seem like they are just "recycling" old ship designs, as was stated by Powerhelm, which is a bit disappointing... :/

My only other concern though is the fact that it seems that while Cryptic is making an effort to break out of the "archetype" system, it would seem that it just isn't going to happen. Anyone that reads the information about this ship knows that while it CAN be a generalized ship, in any sort of PVP, based on the information we already have (which is sketchy so I could definitely be wrong) or fleet PVE, this ship will fulfill a "Healer" or "Buffer" role. :(

That all being said though, I REALLY appreciate the ship Cryptic, it's a sleek looking design! Thanks!

(PS, as much as I DO hate those Klingons, they do deserve some love once in a while :P I vote for the next one we see a Klingon ship again! :) either way though, thanks again!)
    edited May 2009
    Rekkert wrote: »
    BTW, why does a ship commisioned in 2391 has a higer registry number than a ship comisioned in 2409? (the NX-91001)

Simple, a ship is usually designated with a hull number before construction begins (at least in the US they do). Design issues, cost oversights and a other issues that plague new class construction probably delayed the actual production of the new ship. Hypothecally, if the Excalibur was an easy ship to design and construct versus a harder design of the NX-91001, then it might have taken longer to build the new Sovereign clone into a spaceworthy ship. As a result, we have an apparent contradiction in hull numbers.

It's unoriginal; however, I won't complain about that. It's an iconic look for many of the older Star Trek fans. It's so iconic that it might be heretical to say anything bad about it. :) I would still urge Cryptic to show something original in the next update though.
    edited May 2009
    BIg and bulky. I guess we need all types of ships. Eventually we'll figure out which one is missing.
    edited May 2009
    That thars one purtty ship :). Good to see something a bit retro. Does she have ventral phaser banks and an aft shuttle bay like the Connie? Hard to tell by the picture.

Geez I'm wondering now how a 25th century Galaxy class would look now :confused:
    edited May 2009
    Nasedo wrote: »
    woot nice ship indeed.. this ship sounds like a tank class kind of ship or a healer
    dwarner wrote: »
    You describe canon support operations but you turn around and deride the power transfer as a "healing beam." It's not. I would expect a power transfer beam to transfer power, not heal like a magic spell. It seems like a valid combat tactic to me. I think you're inferring too much from a brief description in the OP.

Mmm hmm, and where do you think that power's going to go? Into the shields, natch. Or the weapons, or the engines, in which case you're "buffing" instead of healing, but either way you're basically playing a priest or cleric from any of the hundreds of games that are based on Dungeons and Dragons. And I love D&D, and I regularly play those games, but they're not Star Trek!

The healer-tank-DPS trinity works well for a lot of games, but not for Star Trek. It just doesn't fit starship combat. If Cryptic goes with it, it'll be because they couldn't come up with anything better. And I'm not sure that they are, because this is the first real evidence I've seen that they're going in that direction, but I need a little reassurance here, because power transfer beams are not something we've seen in combat in Star Trek before, and it's something that just so happens to fit perfectly with what all of the other games do.

I expect Cryptic to make up a combat model that wil fit Star Trek, not the other way around. I expect that there will be some give-and-take from that, but in the end I expect to see Star Trek ship battles, and those don't have ships reinforcing each other's shields.
    edited May 2009
    hmm.. not for the gun ho type. my kind of wessel :)
    edited May 2009
    edited May 2009
    That is a pretty good looking ship- I guess this is going to be an "Engineering class" ship, with most of it's abilities.