What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Path to 2409: 2388

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The one that controls Gamma Crateris will be the ruler. Admiral Taris should not forget securing this system. The military taking over, well there could be worse things like a supernova destroying your home planet :rolleyes: My little fleet works for the good of the Emipre. I will set up a blockade on Crateris and start controlling the transporter ships with the dilithium. None of the 3 applicants for rulership will get too much of it :cool: It will turn out as a non issue muhaha.

Vulcan logic failed this time eh? It was a devious plan to get rid of the Romulan threat I say! This wont be popular! The Federation should kick them out. So it will be much easier to invade them and take revenge, without risking a war with the feds. Wont happen thou I think ...

Klingons will come to our aid? lol who else knew that would happen?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Liking this update. It's a lot more interesting than a lot of the previous "Lives and times of Romulan 'higher ups'" he he he.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DeRhamme wrote: »
    The D'deridex class Warbird has an artificial singularity-drive for warp core
    We have the technology to do so,

Some one said "Good Job Cryptic staff and writers."
    I don't thank so.:mad:

Respectfully, it's not the same. The unique form of "wild" uncontrolled singularity/black hole specifically created by means of (Trek pseudo-science) red matter was shown to be very different from what we know of singularities, or singularity theory, even today.

By extension, an artificial, controlled (and standard-science) singularity harnessed as a power source is going to be, yet again, a very different beast.

As I've said here before, one of my current friends from childhood is one of the leading quantum physicists on the planet, We talk a fair bit about where certain "cutting edge" science-fictional ideas are in the real-world. He knows a _lot_ about the theory of singularities.

Short version? The red matter-induced singularity in the new Trek movie is very different from "garden variety" real-world singularity theory. And theoretical, artificial singularity engines? Something that contained and constrained would be even further removed from the red matter ruckus.

It would be like saying a .45 caliber bullet and a nuclear warhead are the same, simply because they're both, on some level, projectiles.

So cheer up, it all actually works if you allow it.

Cheers,

KOS
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Great read as usual, looks like they update more often or am i wrong? :)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Federation president makes a public appeal in an address to the Federation Council for the member worlds to remain calm and not ostracize Vulcan or anyone involved. "In this time of strife we need to remain united," President Nanietta Bacco says. "Assigning blame does not heal the injured, soothe the stricken or comfort the grieving."

Sure.
    It's okay that one of the major race int he Federation did nothing to save billions of live - women and children, old and young.
    Arrogant green-blooded hobgoblins, as Bones McCoy would say.

And Nero supposed to be the only "bad guy", heh.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I thought Worf was the Klingon ambassador to the Federation, not the other way around. I'm confused.
    This one confused me, too, because it was not clearly spelled out in previous updates. It can be inferred, however:

http://www.startrekonline.com/timeline/2385
    And Worf, son of Mogh, also resigns his commission to Starfleet. Worf believes that with the recent strains in relations between the Federation and the Klingons, he will best be of service in a diplomatic role. He returns to Qo’noS to take up the post of lead ambassador, and a few months later begins a tentative relationship with Grilka, the leader of a Klingon noble house whom he had met while serving on Deep Space 9.
    http://www.startrekonline.com/node/216 (emphasis mine)
    Federation diplomats are speaking to both sides trying to work out a peaceful solution, but some analysts predict that a full war will erupt within four years. Worf makes a personal appeal to his friend Chancellor Martok to end hostilities, but he admits that it will be a long process.

I don't understand the news about Vulcan. Spock did warn the Romulan Senate ahead of time, but I guess the news implied that Vulcan knew months in advance? Either way, it was Romulus that refused to receive aid, rather than Vulcan refusing to offer it.

http://www.startrekonline.com/timeline/2387
    On Stardate 64333.4, a Romulan Mining Guild ship observes the start of a chain of events that will forever change the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The star in the Hobus system, in the far reaches of Romulan space, begins to exhibit massive fluxuations of radiation. Days later, Ambassador Spock of the Federation appears before the Romulan Senate to warn them about the dangers of this star.

Spock believes that if the Hobus star goes supernova, it could create a reaction that would threaten much of the Romulan Empire, and he asks the Senate to coordinate with Vulcan to find a solution. After a lengthy debate, the Senate rejects Spock's plan.

Which leads me to believe that Romulus knew the dangers involved and they probably caused the incident by some kind of experimental research/development. They refused aid and then blamed Vulcan in order to conceal the truth and perhaps provide an excuse to conquer Vulcan. Regardless of the potential threat of physically losing Vulcan, the discreditation of Vulcan is a severe blow to the Federation.

ENT shows that the moral detachment (or arrogant 'superiority') of Vulcans directly influenced the creation of the Federation and Starfleet's Prime Directive (i.e., Starfleet General Order 1). The Temporal Cold War appeared, to me, to be a Romulan device to subvert the Federation by striking at Vulcan, either through discreditation or outright destruction. Star Trek Online seems to be setting the stage for this, which directly resulted in the events of the new movie.

Interesting continuity and plot twists, I must say. :) I only hope it doesn't become too Lost-esque in its complexity!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Another Great Read.

As far as the Vulcans are concerned. It must have been the Logical thing to do :D

Also quick question. If Spock caused the Black Hole in the STO time line
    and he went in to it a couple of mins after the big TRIBBLE ship but arrived 25
    years later. 2 questions spring to mind.

1) Is the Black Hole still near the remains of Romulas?

2) if it is entered all these years later would you not end up 1000's of years in what
    we would call the future in the other time line?

Ouchy time talk make brain hurt. :p

D.B.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Another great update! It's always a pleasure reading these -- Kestrel's work again, I presume?

I'm a fan.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    From what I've read of the Destiny series I am hoping the STO story takes place after the crazy Borg Invasion, either way it could mean alot of craziness for all factions to clean up after the 7000 Borg ships attack the quadrant. (if there's any connection)

Unfortunately, it looks as thought the Pocket Novels and STO will not be matching up to each other, as there is a ton of game content we have seen with the BORG in it. And we all know what Picard and Starfleet did to the BORG in the Destiny Series.

I know a lot of people complain and gripe about things that are in or not in the game or this and that. And it was not my intention to add to that chorus.

Lets just say that I am disheartened by the choice of not turning to the novel titans such as DiCandido, David, Mack, Bonno, Mangels, Garfield, Reeves-Stevens, and Bennet for storyline continuity, or for outright assistance. Such an opportunity lost IMO...
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DeRhamme wrote: »
    The D'deridex class Warbird has an artificial singularity-drive for warp core
    We have the technology to do so,

Some one said "Good Job Cryptic staff and writers."
    I don't thank so.:mad:

Do you have the tech to make a big enough singularity to stop a super sized super nova?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't understand the news about Vulcan. Spock did warn the Romulan Senate ahead of time, but I guess the news implied that Vulcan knew months in advance? Either way, it was Romulus that refused to receive aid, rather than Vulcan refusing to offer it.

Nero and Spock went to Vulcan to ask if they could use the red matter technology. The Vulcans refused to let the Romulans have it in fear that it may be used wrongfully.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Great update guys, keep em coming :)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Greetings Unbelievers!!!

The Klingon -Romulan War will precede as schedule.
    As you pink skin say: Remember the Alamo, well the Klingons remember Khittomer!!
    The Federation can do little about it, but try and be diplomatic.

"And, despite heavy pressure from hardliners on the Council, the chancellor ultimately refuses calls to retaliate against the Federation."

Martok understands that when war comes he wants it one sided. That means striking at the Romulans. Make a treaty with Orion and they give hell to the federation that they can not war with the Empire. So build ship which were lost in the Dominion War. To war with the federation is to become weak. Reserve your resources.

Gorn will have to be taught a lesson first, then the Romulans. Once secured The Federation will be focused on then.

As to Vulcan, the folly of the Romulans not taking aid sit ok with them, they are dispassionate so withdrawing ambassadors means nothing to them. However, it does bode that if and when the Klingons war into Romulan space, many of those factional Colonies will be ripe to remerge with the Vulcan Imperium

Notes:

Pacifica- According to the Star Trek: Titan novels, Pacifica is part of the Federation and home to a spacefaring aquatic civilization known as the Selkies.
    It is used a lot for meetings dealing with planets applications into the United Federation of Planets, Ambassador meetings and the likes. So it has extreme importance in the Federation.

Zaran II- Zaranites are a species of mammalian humanoids native to the planet Zaran II, the second planet of the Byrdica system. They are fluorine breathers, requiring them to wear gas masks and protective suits in Earth-like environments. By the 24th century, Zaranite weapons research continues to be a valuable asset to Starfleet.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Another great read, seems like the federation is not without turmoil and sin afterall. Things are really getting spicy in the alpha quadrant, if I was the dominion or another powerfull race out there. This would be the perfect time to conquer the alpha quadrant:D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also quick question. If Spock caused the Black Hole in the STO time line
    and he went in to it a couple of mins after the big TRIBBLE ship but arrived 25
    years later. 2 questions spring to mind.

1) Is the Black Hole still near the remains of Romulas?

2) if it is entered all these years later would you not end up 1000's of years in what
    we would call the future in the other time line?

Ouchy time talk make brain hurt. :p

D.B.

According to sensor reports recorded on Stardate 64471.6 by the USS Enterprise-E, the Hobus supernova was contained by a limited singularity, ending the threat to the quadrant. Starfleet believes that both the Jellyfish and the Narada were lost.

this is from 2387. I suppose it means a time limit. After the red matter's energy whatever is consummed the black hole destabilzes and disapears.

and also:

Ambassador Spock returns to Vulcan, where he meets with Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard. The two appeal to the Vulcan Science Academy to assist the Romulans with the crisis in the Hobus system, but the academy declines their request without comment. The two former Starfleet officers decide that they will make their own plans to deal with the situation.

Which I'd interpret as Spock and Picard sort of steal red matter from the Vulcan Science Academy and save the universe. Seems some of the vulcans are indeed guilty of passivity.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Another great read, seems like the federation is not without turmoil and sin afterall. Things are really getting spicy in the alpha quadrant, if I was the dominion or another powerfull race out there. This would be the perfect time to conquer the alpha quadrant:D

I would wait, for it going to destablize more, then strike, right now there heated feelings but a common threat will unite
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Worf son..... wonder if that is gonna play into the game :) I just love these tid bits.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hehe I want to read more!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nice entry I enjoyed it very much, thank you.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I personally never liked or trusted the Vulcans. I'd prefer to support the Romulans :)

In protest to this, I will not allow a Vulcan crew member on my senior staff. hehe :)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    insult the honor of a member of the House of Markok

You dare misspell our Chancellors name! we won't stand for this! ;)

Hehe anyway, nice update. I really like these IC storyline posts. Nice for some Klingon stuff to get tossed in there again :) Keep it up!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    StraboV2 wrote: »
    insult the honor of a member of the House of Markok

You dare misspell our Chancellors name! we won't stand for this! ;)

Great, now they have another reason to shoot at my little Medical ship. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aside from the misspelling and a few missing apostrophes this is great.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I really am enjoying the storyline, it is very smooth.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wow this is very interesting stuff indeed. Really looking forward to more details!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nice update. Has a lot of immediacy to it, given how it follows the movie.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It seems odd that Spock did not know of the Science Academy's plot to not help the Romulans, since it was his personal mission to facilitate the Vulcan-Romulan unification. Although not too many Vulcans liked the idea... so I can see why they would withhold this information from the Ambassador.

Stardate 65548.43, Worf's second son was born on July 19, 2388, 5:24pm!! XD
    Stardate 65776.64, October 11, 2388, 6:00am is when the story was put out by the FNN about the Vulcan's decit. =/
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Looks like Vulcan gets destroyed in THIS timeline too! :) I can see a Romulan Fleet descending on them now !
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    On Stardate 65776.64, the Federation News Network breaks a story that reports that the Vulcan Science Academy knew of the threat to Romulus but refused to take action to assist the Romulans before the destruction of their homeworld.

So much for unification :p
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    With all this conflict going on I hope the little side stories like the Holograms debate, the potential Borg threat, the status of Laas and the other changlings, or the rift between Odo and Alpha Jem'hadars, don't get swept under the rug. I still like hearing the small things about our other favorite characters.

Overall very informative Path, only 21 years to go. Oh and grats to Worf on the second son. I'm guessing Worf will have him in the KDF come 2409. Make dad proud.