test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Basic PvP Patch, will result in great improvement with very little effort

vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
edited January 12 in PvP Gameplay
Hello,

It have been some time since my last post in this forum, and i have been thinking, posting about PvP is maybe not as fruitless as i thought so, specially thanks baddmoonrizin who assured me he takes feedback about pvp seriously and after playing pvp for a long time i think i have some feedback, where pvp stands, how can it be improved and made more accessible.

First of all, pvp is miraculously not in as bad state as many who don't play it claim it to be, usually such players say thing which do not correspond to reality because they never bothered to learn how-to so they come up with ridiculous theories on why the fault isn't theirs but the game needs to be redesigned completely. However there is legitimate feedback that the gab between new pvp players and old whales is too big to overcome, if someone is actually interested in starting pvp, he hits a massive wall and many give up.

What i am going to do in this post as a many-years-pvp player is discuss what in my opinion the actually problems and then offer simple/easy solutions.

Problem #1 New players hit a wall against many years veterans, some give up, few stay but the struggle is real.

I like to suggest the following solutions to this problem:

Catch-up accessible items, maybe through the phoenix box system but less effective

Some of the must-haves PvP items:
rhytmic rumbles (inferior budged version) - its only 50% effective.
Invincible (inferior budged version) - only last for 4 seconds, healing is half as good.
Superweapon ingeniunty (inferior budged version) - increases the duration of beam overload for 2.5 seconds.
Acquiring the expensive version of these traits should upgrade and replace the "inferior budged versions" so its impossible to use two copies of them.

Problem #2 is the endeavour system which is a massive wall for new players.
The solution i am going to propose is very simple - to up to 50% of the total levels, you can complete endevours all day long without having to wait 24 hours to reset, when you complete the 3, they are simply available again. For players who go to work and do not have the time for this, offer level-up tokens for zen. Both methods only go as far as 50% of the total levels, after this to keep fair with those who have patiently build their levels throughout the years, they will have 24hours lock as normal.

Problem #3 large number of players are actually unaware that the pvp zones exist.
When i pop my map, i can see the more important locations being shown as names, for examples Sol system, Risa, Drozana. But the pvp locations are among the non-shown ones. It doesn't hurt show them as well, and in bold red add "PvP zone" This will bring awareness. You cannot make a choice if you are not even aware it exist.

And finally, this have been an idea of mine for some time and i really like it, its called a PvP patrol.
What is PvP patrol ?
It is randomly generated patrol system on the map, with randomly generated name for example "H3331S1"
The zone theme in it is also randomly generated from existing maps. It is very basic and simple, its limited to 2 players 1fed and 1kdf,
The map is a mix between a "mini ker'rat" and a "romulan patrol scenario", the map is defeated when 5 borg waves are defeated, in the meanwhile the 2 players may or may not interact/fight with each other, the map also doesn't say who wins or who loses. The main object of the map is the defeat of the borg waves, the reason for this is some players are trolls and make unkillable zombie ships, but even without the zombie ships some 1v1 battles can really last forever, to avoid such annoying scenarios the object of the randomly generated map is the defeat the waves and then you auto warp out. You can enter new one to repeat again. The Borg waves should have enough shield/hull so they don't burn like paper.
The randomly generated patrol-system is generated once per day, on different location, so every day there is a new theme/patrol that is visible on the map for example (PvP patrol H3331S1) as the other important places.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2023
    -
    Post edited by vanhyo on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Edited my feedback to keep up with the pilot revamp.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    These ideas might sound simple but they are really not from a programming point of view. "Invincible (inferior budged version) - only last for 4 seconds, healing is half as good." so there will be a 2nd trait that make you Invincible, what happens if the players fits both versions? How do all the different interactions and lockouts work if you have both versions?

"Problem #2 is the endeavour system which is a massive wall for new players.
    The solution i am going to propose is very simple - to up to 50% of the total levels"

The idea and solution are simple when you describe them but the implantation to pull that off is rather complicated and will require a heavy programming investment. Which is the core problem. It doesn't make sense for the devs to put in such a heavy programming investment to fix PvP when such a tiny amount of the player base do PvP. The cost to benefit ratio don't add up.
  • Options
    The total population of STO is very small tiny one, a quality pvp will result in healthier total population.

I dont even know how you know how much dev time it takes to code these things, are you a STO dev ?
  • Options
    vanhyo wrote: »
    The total population of STO is very small tiny one, a quality pvp will result in healthier total population.

I dont even know how you know how much dev time it takes to code these things, are you a STO dev ?
    I am not a dev but have enough background and training in programming to know the ideas you have sound simple but are not simple to program and will require a lot of development time.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    The total population of STO is a very small, tiny one...

What facts are you basing this statement on?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    STO is more medium sized rather then small or tiny I would say if we are talking about MMO's. If we expand into to include other popular online games outside of MMO's then in comparison STO is small.
  • Options

I was reading some statistics, the numbers dont look good.

What do you expect anyway, when the end goal of this game is the space barbie changing customs in drozana ?

Its so easy to create a solid meaningful endgame for both PvErs and PvPers that can keep you playing all night, even with a small team and the resources already available.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I was reading some statistics, the numbers don't look good.

Can you please share your sources? So I can look at them? Websites. New articles. Stuff like that. I've been playing this game since March 2012. In all this time, Cryptic has been pretty silent about the actual numbers of players this game has. Unless it benefitted them directly.

Using Steam in support of your statement is not a good idea. There are a lot of players (myself included) who don't access this game through Steam. Why subscribe to a game launcher so I can open...another game launcher?

Having been here since March of 2012, I can state with certainty these forums are daily inundated with threads about Star Trek Online's impending demise. Because reasons.

As to the 'simple' solution: I used to mod a game called, Star Trek:Armada II. The biggest mod I did is called, "The A2 Physics Project". All I did was change how the ships moved in the game. So their movement looked more like it does in the series and films. It took nearly two years of daily work(which sucked all my free time away) to get such a 'simple' change made. Without causing the game to CTD. without introducing new errors and bugs. The files, there is more than one version, are available still on Game Front as downloads.

Granted, I am not formally trained in computer languages or coding. But the point here is: With a game as old as this one is, which has the typical coding which looks like spaghetti on a good day, there are really no, "one shot - one kill" solutions to any of this game's many detracting issues.
    Post edited by thunderfoot#5163 on
  • Options
    If a good idea/gameplay can keep you all night playing and then theorizing how to get better at it, then it spreads and sells like hot bread.

but you can also sell re-colored ship skins for 200$ a bundle, till nobody cares.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    @vanhyo
    Ignoring my questions does not mean they're not valid.
    Neither does attempting to change the subject.
    I am now quite curious about your sources.
    I am equally curious about your coding expertise.

If your points are valid, then they are valid and should be easily provable. Even to someone like me.
    Post edited by thunderfoot#5163 on
  • Options
    oredshirt#7209 oredshirt Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Everything you said is wrong

-luke skywalker
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.