test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

All Previous Ship Costumes Missing

All customized ship costumes for all characters on my account created since 2010 disappeared and I was unable to create new ones. GM told me that the file that housed them went missing from my computer. Sure enough, when I looked, I found no such file. Since I don't engage in file alteration, I have no idea where the file went or why. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? If so, please post here to raise GM awareness. I lost hundreds of ship costumes created over thousands of hours. I think it's worth a look, especially if others have experienced this loss as well.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    All saved character uniforms and appearances are stored in the game's screenshots folder...presumably, ship costumes are as well - if that folder was moved or deleted, that would be why you lost the old ones, though you should be able to create new ones; THAT issue sounds like the folder can't be accessed, like it was somehow set to Read-only.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    /moved thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,003 Arc User
    THAT issue sounds like the folder can't be accessed, like it was somehow set to Read-only.​​
    Windows can be somewhat territorial over the "Program Files" folders and not allow *you* to save files there.
    A nice workaround is to make a "STO Screenshots" folder somewhere and make a symbolic link from where STO expects the "screenshots" folder to be, and point it to your preferred location.
    MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target

/D      Creates a directory symbolic link.  Default is a file
                    symbolic link.
            /H      Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
            /J      Creates a Directory Junction.
            Link    Specifies the new symbolic link name.
            Target  Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link
                    refers to.

So, opening the Command Line with Administrator privileges, and navigating to the STO folder that should have a "screenshots" folder, we use the following command:
    mklink /j screenshots "PATH_TO_DESTINATION_FOLDER"

Keep the quote marks or you'll fall foul of long/short path name errors.

Of course, the easier option would be to just move the STO install folder somewhere you have full control over, such as somewhere inside your "My Documents" or another hard disk entirely. And don't forget to make a new game shortcut to the "StarTrekOnline.exe".
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • michael0525michael0525 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Thanks. I created the screenshots folder in accordance with guidance provided by ARC so I can now save new costumes but it of course did nothing to retrieve any of the hundreds lost nor does it explai why they were lost or give me any assurance that they wont be again.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,003 Arc User
    ...did nothing to retrieve any of the hundreds lost nor does it explai why they were lost...
    The only thing I can think of would be uninstalling the game. Sometimes, games clear out their entire folder and delete everything; other games leave behind everything that wasn't there when it was installed.
    Other than that, I have no idea what could have happened.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    No, I didn’t uninstall it It has been on this computer since I first installed it on this machine when I bought it in 2016. I try not to open or edit game files for this very reason…
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game in accordance with ARC Support. Not only did it NOT retrieve my old ship costumes that had been lost, but this also deleted all that I had saved since... Bad...