Install Arc
Options

Possible STO Retcon

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    For those of us who don't have Twitter or don't want to venture into Twitter, could a summary or screenshot of the tweet be provided?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,320 Community Moderator
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I think this might be one of the instances where STO will deviate from Canon, because in game the Ent-F is actually a newer ship, launched in 2409. By decommissioning her before the start of the game... any kind of retcon like that would require a LOT of work to replace dialog and everything. And as we don't know what the next Enterprise in canon will look like... we'd just be faced with yet another deep cut retcon in the futue. So I'm predicting no actual change IN STO to accomodate this. STILL begs the question... what happened to Ent-E?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Why even bother rebuilding the ship after the Bassen Rift if you're just going to decommission it 7 years later?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think this might be one of the instances where STO will deviate from Canon, because in game the Ent-F is actually a newer ship, launched in 2409. By decommissioning her before the start of the game... any kind of retcon like that would require a LOT of work to replace dialog and everything. And as we don't know what the next Enterprise in canon will look like... we'd just be faced with yet another deep cut retcon in the futue. So I'm predicting no actual change IN STO to accomodate this. STILL begs the question... what happened to Ent-E?

STO already has deviated with just more that what Picard has done to the history of the Odyssey Class 1701-F. In Picard S3 which takes place 7 or so years from the start of STO; Geordie LaForge is a Commodore (aka an Admiral level rank); but in this game in 2409 -2411, he's the Captain of the U.S.S Challenger.

And as for Worf, I have a feeling by the end of the first run streaming of Picard S3, hius history will be quite different than the history for him portrayed in STO.

At this point, STO is most definitely a non-canon, alternate timeline <--- And nothing at all wrong with that.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options

STO already has deviated with just more that what Picard has done to the history of the Odyssey Class 1701-F. In Picard S3 which takes place 7 or so years from the start of STO; Geordie LaForge is a Commodore (aka an Admiral level rank); but in this game in 2409 -2411, he's the Captain of the U.S.S Challenger.

And as for Worf, I have a feeling by the end of the first run streaming of Picard S3, hius history will be quite different than the history for him portrayed in STO.

At this point, STO is most definitely a non-canon, alternate timeline <--- And nothing at all wrong with that.

Pretty sure Commodore is the rank inbetween Captain and Admiral, Commodore is the Navy equivalent of a Brigadier so either Admiral or Captain could cover Commodore just fine without breaking Canon, it's not a big deal, just have to change some dialog and replace the word Captain with Commadore when referring to Geordi,

KDF Worf can be replaced by Rodek or any other House Mogh members,

As for Data anything related to Captain Data can now be transferred over to Brent Spiner's new character Attan Soong the human biological son of Noonian Soong.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    any kind of retcon like that would require a LOT of work to replace dialog and everything.

Isn't it only referred to as 'Enterprise' in dialog? Should be pretty easy to change it to the 1701-G whenever that gets introduced in a future show, though that would just be kicking the can down the road because eventually the new stuff WILL override STO in canon.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Retconning this would be simple enough - the 2410 launch was of the Yorktown refit, after the Odyssey-class was "compromised" as described. There you go.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    If they do follow through with shelving the F then its successors are going to need much longer lifespans or else the J will be in service a century earlier than it should be. It's so dumb their decision to do this.

It's too bad Midnight was so long ago or the change to the timeline could have rippled a new Enterprise into existence, I suppose we could have another time travel story to account for the bigger shifts, events can stay the same but people and ships get shuffled. We've got the Voyager-A in the kiddy's show messing with the game too.
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    This all seems to be assuming that the Ent F *will* be shelved, despite the trailer.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    If they do follow through with shelving the F then its successors are going to need much longer lifespans or else the J will be in service a century earlier than it should be. It's so dumb their decision to do this.

Agreed. Unfortunately the people behind most of the new series and the reboots that came before it seem to think that everything needs to be radically changed every season to keep things interesting.

JJ blowing up Romulus, Disco and the Klingons, Disco going to the 32nd century and completely upending the entire Federation, a new captain every season, Picard introducing alternate timelines just so they could kill off a significant portion of DS9 characters after having killed off many other TNG characters - and now Picard confirming that both the E and F are things of the past.

I don't know why, but it seems very hard for these writers to keep things a bit constant. Every season needs to contain some shocking revelation, destruction of entire worlds, radical cast changes, killing off of long-established characters or another drastic change that's seemingly only introduced to get the necessary attention on (social) media and blogs.

Then again, the fact that Starfleet has refitted, upgraded and completely changed its entire fleet two or three times and some ships even way more often than that, isn't exactly realistic either. But STO at least has the excuse that ships need to be sold to keep the game going. Tv-shows on the other hand... If the directors feel the need to basically start doing the same thing that this game needs to do (as it cannot simply choose to monetise its stories), it's saying a lot about these directors' confidence in their own stories - the content that's supposed to drive those shows.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This all seems to be assuming that the Ent F *will* be shelved, despite the trailer.

The 1701-F is apparently on it's way to it's decommissioning ceremony in that trailer, so it's not looking good. Now, I COULD see a situation where the events of Season 3 result in the decommissioning being canceled or postponed, but I kind of doubt that tbh.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023

The 1701-F is apparently on it's way to it's decommissioning ceremony in that trailer, so it's not looking good. Now, I COULD see a situation where the events of Season 3 result in the decommissioning being canceled or postponed, but I kind of doubt that tbh.

That's the possibility that I'm wondering about. (And praying for.)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    I don't know why, but it seems very hard for these writers to keep things a bit constant. Every season needs to contain some shocking revelation, destruction of entire worlds, radical cast changes, killing off of long-established characters or another drastic change that's seemingly only introduced to get the necessary attention on (social) media and blogs.

There is an old adage in superhero comics about bad writing that goes "If you cannot wow them, shock them". Usually, it refers to what happens when a writing team runs out of good ideas and starts flailing around trying to pull out of the slump by taking extreme measures to shake everything up, but NuTrek it pretty much started out that way.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2023

There is an old adage in superhero comics about bad writing that goes "If you cannot wow them, shock them". Usually, it refers to what happens when a writing team runs out of good ideas and starts flailing around trying to pull out of the slump by taking extreme measures to shake everything up, but NuTrek it pretty much started out that way.

They can also claim their edgy grimdark is "realism" as they put someone in a fridge or have them devoured by ants. Time to turn hero X into a junkie, alcoholic, abuser, secret member of Hydra, etc. to juice the ratings. Just killing them off and reviving them a bit later isn't shocking enough anymore. (Yes, I am cynical about the modern writing style, why do you ask?)
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    truewarper wrote: »
    My rule of thumb is that if it's in CBR, it's probably just rumor. They have a tendency to report a lot of "facts" that turn out not to be (my personal favorite was when Jon Kent turned out to be bi, and their "G@y Superman" reporting was based on the idea that DC was talking about Clark).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023

They can also claim their edgy grimdark is "realism" as they put someone in a fridge or have them devoured by ants. Time to turn hero X into a junkie, alcoholic, abuser, secret member of Hydra, etc. to juice the ratings. Just killing them off and reviving them a bit later isn't shocking enough anymore. (Yes, I am cynical about the modern writing style, why do you ask?)

Peter Parker and Ben Reilly usually seem to get the worst of it, Sins of the Past, One More Day, the Villain Paul marrying MJ, Ben Reilly's death and resurrection, Ben as Jackal, then Ben as Chasm,

Marvel Writers just really seem to hate my 2 favorite Spiders.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    truewarper wrote: »
    My rule of thumb is that if it's in CBR, it's probably just rumor. They have a tendency to report a lot of "facts" that turn out not to be (my personal favorite was when Jon Kent turned out to be bi, and their "G@y Superman" reporting was based on the idea that DC was talking about Clark).

Oh I know, but it was closest thing to find on short notice... :)

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options

Agreed. Unfortunately the people behind most of the new series and the reboots that came before it seem to think that everything needs to be radically changed every season to keep things interesting.

JJ blowing up Romulus, Disco and the Klingons, Disco going to the 32nd century and completely upending the entire Federation, a new captain every season, Picard introducing alternate timelines just so they could kill off a significant portion of DS9 characters after having killed off many other TNG characters - and now Picard confirming that both the E and F are things of the past.

Then again, the fact that Starfleet has refitted, upgraded and completely changed its entire fleet two or three times and some ships even way more often than that, isn't exactly realistic either. But STO at least has the excuse that ships need to be sold to keep the game going. Tv-shows on the other hand... If the directors feel the need to basically start doing the same thing that this game needs to do (as it cannot simply choose to monetise its stories), it's saying a lot about these directors' confidence in their own stories - the content that's supposed to drive those shows.

Any Project that JJ or Rian Johnson touches shouldn't be considered canon, look at what JJ did to both Star Trek and Star Wars, if something is so poorly written, then it shouldn't be canon, there I said it.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The flyby is 36 seconds into this trailer.

I dunno, doesn't look like a "decommissioning ceremony" to me...

Also, paradox, your opinion is noted and discarded. Please do not make statements of opinion as if they were statements of fact - it's my opinion, for instance, that Johnson directed the only good sequel-trilogy SW movie. Clearly your opinion varies, but neither one of us is stating a fact.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,320 Community Moderator
    It certainly read like an opinion to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️ But also seems off topic, so let's move on. 😊
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Also, paradox, your opinion is noted and discarded. Please do not make statements of opinion as if they were statements of fact - it's my opinion, for instance, that Johnson directed the only good sequel-trilogy SW movie. Clearly your opinion varies, but neither one of us is stating a fact.

Also recommissioning ships isn't something that never happens either. IRL the Iowa class Battleships were recommissioned twice and there only reason the third time isn't probably gonna happen is there's not really a role for them currently.

For all we know Starfleet did decommission the Enterprise (NCC-1701-F) in the early years of the 25th century but by 2409 they had such a need for ships that recommission the ENT-F was a better idea then waiting for a ENT-G to be designed and built.

there by a minor retcon that doesn't change anything in current STO I was able to bring to harmony with Picard at least on this matter.

As for why would Starfleet decommission the ENT-F only to do extensive refits to it later with purpose of extending its service life.

My headcanon would be that there was something wrong with first batch of Odyssey-class vessels, enough that Starfleet thought it was easier to just retire them rather then try to fix that, however with losses first from the Klingon War and then due events during STO Starfleet probably had a deficit of ships they needed to fill and a ship that could be fixed thru extensive refits would be fixed rather retired as it would be better use of the finite resources Starfleet had (and yes Starfleet doesn't have infinite resources).
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    spiritborn wrote: »

Also recommissioning ships isn't something that never happens either. IRL the Iowa class Battleships were recommissioned twice and there only reason the third time isn't probably gonna happen is there's not really a role for them currently.

For all we know Starfleet did decommission the Enterprise (NCC-1701-F) in the early years of the 25th century but by 2409 they had such a need for ships that recommission the ENT-F was a better idea then waiting for a ENT-G to be designed and built.

there by a minor retcon that doesn't change anything in current STO I was able to bring to harmony with Picard at least on this matter.

As for why would Starfleet decommission the ENT-F only to do extensive refits to it later with purpose of extending its service life.

My headcanon would be that there was something wrong with first batch of Odyssey-class vessels, enough that Starfleet thought it was easier to just retire them rather then try to fix that, however with losses first from the Klingon War and then due events during STO Starfleet probably had a deficit of ships they needed to fill and a ship that could be fixed thru extensive refits would be fixed rather retired as it would be better use of the finite resources Starfleet had (and yes Starfleet doesn't have infinite resources).

Also on top of the existing costly Klingon War, the threat of a Dominion War starting again on top of it might have been another VERY strong motivating factor.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

It's too bad Midnight was so long ago or the change to the timeline could have rippled a new Enterprise into existence, I suppose we could have another time travel story to account for the bigger shifts, events can stay the same but people and ships get shuffled. We've got the Voyager-A in the kiddy's show messing with the game too.

as far as I am concerned, Picard is alt history, with the timey wimey borg queen/whats her name shenanigans.

as far as the early deoms, well that just goes to show the writers don't know TRIBBLE about Navies of any kind.
    in the US Navy, the USS Blue Ridge has been in commission since 1970, The Nimitz since 75 and the Ohio since 1981

and starships don't have to deal with saltwater and corrosion. bonus Trivia, The oldest attack submarine is the cistodian of the cribbage board of Richard O'Kane, the greatest American sub commander, who skippered the Tang in WW2. as the oldest attack sub is decommissioned, it's moved to the next oldest. same with the Don't tread on me flag, which is flown on the oldest surface ship instead of the normal Jack flag.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled STO Rant
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    As for why would Starfleet decommission the ENT-F only to do extensive refits to it later with purpose of extending its service life...
    Presumably for the same reason NCC-1701 was in drydock for two and a half years being extensively refitted into the ship we saw in TMP.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited February 2023

Odd as it sounds, the reason the Iowa class Battleships are being completely retired now is not because there is no role for them, because there is one, the same one they were fulfilling during operations in the Middle East. What is happening is that their main gun barrels have worn to the point where they need replacing and there are none available to do that, and it would be too expensive to set up a factory and all the tooling to make new ones for so few ships.

On top of that, the stockpile of ammo has been depleted, and again, it is not cost effective to make more of it with so few of the Iowas left in service.

Starfleet ships would not have that problem with barrel wear or ammo supplies since they use energy weapons so they would be good for a very long time unless there were some vital major breakthroughs that could not (or would be impractical) to be refitted on the older ships. The biggest limiting factor would probably be metal fatigue in the hulls and frames, but the Structural Integrity Fields would probably stave off that problem for a very long time.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited February 2023

Odd as it sounds, the reason the Iowa class Battleships are being completely retired now is not because there is no role for them, because there is one, the same one they were fulfilling during operations in the Middle East. What is happening is that their main gun barrels have worn to the point where they need replacing and there are none available to do that, and it would be too expensive to set up a factory and all the tooling to make new ones for so few ships.

On top of that, the stockpile of ammo has been depleted, and again, it is not cost effective to make more of it with so few of the Iowas left in service.

Starfleet ships would not have that problem with barrel wear or ammo supplies since they use energy weapons so they would be good for a very long time unless there were some vital major breakthroughs that could not (or would be impractical) to be refitted on the older ships. The biggest limiting factor would probably be metal fatigue in the hulls and frames, but the Structural Integrity Fields would probably stave off that problem for a very long time.

Energy weapons would still have some wear due to waste heat (and we know heat is an issue as phaser coolant was a plot point in one episode), that said we do know that with proper maintenance and some refits ships can have 40+ years of active service life (ENT-nil was built and commissioned in the mid 2240s and destroyed in the mid 2280s though it was said she was nearing the end of her service life).

That's why I said there probably something wrong with first batch of the Odyssey-class since if the rumors are true those ships will have at most only half of that potential service life before being decommissioned.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Internally they have made perpetual retcons of the story over the last 13 years. It seems more significant because canon is having a direct effect on the STO universe, but making adjustments is nothing new. A score of tweaks to the continuity might make for a recruit event that would feel fresh and new and appeal to people outside the Palovian altaholic demographic.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    IIRC they're implied the ships get decomissioned because heavy damage taken in front line "flagship grade" service. leads to their receiving new stuff.
This discussion has been closed.