test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(Bug Report) Discovery's Heavy Beams

ganellon111ganellon111 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Ticket: {#831100}

Hello,

i don't know if this is a dumb question but i think something is very wrong about the "Disruptor Wide Angle Heavy Beam Bank" from Discovery Rep.
The think is that it doesn't looks like a beam at all nor firing as a beam, much more like a cannon! is that the way it should be?

Also none of the skills are working with it, no BO or FAW, it can't be normal isn't it? - i mean, Discovery Rep. Tier VI costs so much only to have a weird alternate Heavy Beam that nobody knows what it is.

I tested it also with many other ships and different builds, nothing, always the same.

Below some screenshots, in the red circle is the thing that suppose to be a disruptor dual beam!

6qhv5nq2w3ep.jpg

5s1h3mowdx97.jpg

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    See this vid .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEgf2a_ciA

The Discovery in this vid is motionless so graphics are slightly different to your screen shots but the graphics are an emulation to that of the TV Show. with the advancement in FX the firing of the beams in the new trek shows are far superior to that of TOS TNG etc.
    As to your query regarding FAW and BO I can not answer that
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    eazzie wrote: »
    See this vid .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEgf2a_ciA

The Discovery in this vid is motionless so graphics are slightly different to your screen shots but the graphics are an emulation to that of the TV Show. with the advancement in FX the firing of the beams in the new trek shows are far superior to that of TOS TNG etc.
    As to your query regarding FAW and BO I can not answer that

Not superior, just different. Personally, I find the DSC pulse-beam effects from the show wimpy-looking and far inferior to any of the full beams from current or past productions, or even the WoK version of pulse beams effects-wise.

Those slow-firing pulse-beams actually do work with BO and FAW (unless there is a new bug I haven't seen yet), damage-wise (you can see it in the combat logs) but visually BO is such a small VFX change (the pulses seem to get a little thicker ... maybe) that it is almost impossible to see. FAW is visible if there is not a lot of other shots in the air, though the whole thing is so unimpressive it is easy to miss if your attention is focused on your primary target.
  • ganellon111ganellon111 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Yes i see it, thanks - but there is no wide angle dual heavy in the vid, only the normal dual beam and it's firing normally.
    Yes i see it, thanks - but there is no wide angle dual heavy in the vid, only the normal dual beam and it's firing normally.

That video does not show the DSC set to good effect, for that you need one that with actual combat, not just sniping at a single target. This one doesn't have the DBB either, but it shows that the DSC phasers in general do respond to FAW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuQltXI0FXk

The next one does have the DBB, and the person does use it with FAW (but not BO) though he triggers off a lot of stuff quickly so it kind of mixes with other effects at times. Also, note that FAW may restrict the beams to their normal arc, not the expanded one the same way that Scatter Fire does with cannons (I have been meaning to test that out but have not gotten around to it).

Also, as the person making the second video points out, you can tell when the DBB is firing because the pulses look a little heavier (though to me they still look wimpy compared to full beam effects):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_YfqJJ-HZM
  • ganellon111ganellon111 Member Posts: 7 Arc User

The next one does have the DBB, and the person does use it with FAW (but not BO) though he triggers off a lot of stuff quickly so it kind of mixes with other effects at times. Also, note that FAW may restrict the beams to their normal arc, not the expanded one the same way that Scatter Fire does with cannons (I have been meaning to test that out but have not gotten around to it).

Thanks for the video but unfortunately this is not the way my beams are firing, it would be nice to have them this way, mine as you can see at my pics above, firing very slowly and only from one side, somehow like the beam arrays in the first video and they do not getting any changes with BO or FAW, nothing at all.
    Thats why the support said that i have encountered a gameplay bug.

Btw. the beams in the 2nd video are not the disruptor ones, i dont know if that makes any differences.

Thanks for the video but unfortunately this is not the way my beams are firing, it would be nice to have them this way, mine as you can see at my pics above, firing very slowly and only from one side, somehow like the beam arrays in the first video and they do not getting any changes with BO or FAW, nothing at all.
    Thats why the support said that i have encountered a gameplay bug.

Btw. the beams in the 2nd video are not the disruptor ones, i dont know if that makes any differences.

Since disruptor is the second energy that is unlocked for DSC reputation (at T6) I often ran the phaser DBB until the disrupter one unlocked, and I have not noticed a lot of difference between the two except for the color, though if it is a new bug I probably would not have noticed it since I have been using other builds lately (I have been experimenting with DoTs mostly lately, which the DSC DBBs do not provide) and so have not used my characters with DSC builds much in the last month or two.