test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help me build a drain boat

revanmike#1299 revanmike Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited November 2022 in The Shipyard
my normal build is a cruiser beam boat. But I want to do something different with my next toon. What are the best ways to make a drain build. PS I hate visual spam and dont want to use any consoles that add spam.

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Use both types of shield drain mines and shield drain pets on a carrier with a shield drain torpedo. A minelayer/torpedo/carrier hybrid built around shield drain is the way I used to go.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    use a sci ship. the secondary deflector can add a lot of drain.
    Spock.jpg

• finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    I don't know what ships etc. you have, but I sometimes use the Refracting Energy Shunt from the Gagarin, together with the Miracle Worker ability Overwhelm Power Regulators. With a decent DrainX score, you can suck mobs dry with those 2 alone. Under the line, drains are a nice toy to play around with, but not insanely powerful or anything.

On a totally different note, Revan and Vette in one thread! B)
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    To the OP,

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1215401/protonic-kool-aid-down-the-drain-cruiser/p1

The above is a link to a very old thread when autumnturning discusses an all turret Drain Build. A search of threads here using this username should also turn up another thread where he listed a Drain Build for an Ambassador class cruiser. I was intrigued enough at the time I posted a Drain Build for a Kamarag cruiser as well. While some of the gear may have been superceded by newer stuff now in the game, I'm responding to your request because these ought to still be viable ingame with a competent Captain using them.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Broadly speaking, you'll ideally want something with a lot of science console slots. Secondary Deflectors and Hangar bays are very helpful things to have as well(depending on budget).

Shipwise, this means ships like Multi-Mission Science Vessels or Science Dreadnoughts are generally the preferred platform, but the most important thing is that you're having fun with a ship you enjoy. (You CAN build drain ships out of full carriers, or even Science Cruisers, but they won't be as 'optimal'.)

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Skill:_Drain_Expertise
    This is a very helpful resource for looking at your options as you scroll down - it lists many of the consoles and equipment that interact and enhance Drain Expertise. It will be invaluable for hunting down universal consoles with drain boosts to cram into your non-science console slots.

The VAST majority of your drain stats is going to come from Fleet Research Lab consoles that come with 2xDrain modifiers(around 60 drain expertise per console slot).

Secondary Deflectors can be a good source of extra drain expertise and Deteriorating variants interact very well with a lot of drain abilities. With drain builds, more than any other, it's really important to min/max your drain expertise as high as possible.

Hangars are based on the caveat of having the Voth Rampart's Starship trait, Voth Carrier Synergies. Tactical Boff abilities(tactical team, firing modes, etc.) give all your fighters Aceton Mode.. which can completely disable entire groups by themselves while its active. However, as a lockbox ship, this may be prohibitively expensive, and without it the hangars don't really fulfill much purpose towards the explicit purpose of draining. (they're still useful for damage and point defense though).

For core systems, I typically end up running with the Terran Reputation Deflector and Warp Core. The deflector has around 60 drain and the 2-set provides an additional +20. Temporal Reputation Shield gives you another +30 Drain, and the Quantum Phase Engines from the "Stormbound" mission adds yet another +30 Drain when when in/exiting full impulse(15s).

In terms of other consoles, it will largely be up to build(weapon) preferences, but the Quantum Phase Converter from the Sunrise mission is another +40 drain expertise - and the weapon set synergizes quite well with drain builds.

There are various consumables and reputation/captain traits/abilities you can use for additional (temporary) boosts, but those are (mostly) covered in the above link.

Otherwise, it's largely up to you if you want run a kinetic, exotic, or energy weapon build. Just keep in mind, the weapons will take a backseat in priority to your drain stuff because of how demanding drain resists are to overcome in the game right now.
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    The VAST majority of your drain stats is going to come from Fleet Research Lab consoles that come with 2xDrain modifiers(around 60 drain expertise per console slot).

Wow, I never knew these existed. I guess I never scrolled down all the way in the console list, but just got the CtrlX/EPG one.
    After almost 13 years I'm still discovering new stuff. :*
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    I noticed that the upcoming breen set from Q's winter wonder land also has some interesting stats for drain builds.
    Specific values have still to be revealed, but it looks interesting.

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11531813
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.