test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reason To Create A New Character

torchwood1968torchwood1968 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
I'm almost in the mood to create a new character. Anybody in 'the know' have a reason I should wait (wink wink) a few months?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    Recruitment events seem pretty common these days. There's been quite a few of them on a regular basis the past while. Sometimes they can be a good reason to create a new character given the additional rewards.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Delta_Recruitment

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Temporal_Agent_Recruitment

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Gamma_Recruitment

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Klingon_Recruitment

Also: if you don't have a Gorn yet what are you waiting for ? :)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    Besides waiting for a new TOS, Gamma, KDF, or Fed/Rom Delta if you don't have one of those, the Discovery version of the tutorial was fun, and the user interface and beam-out effects change to a discovery theme.

Otherwise, I create new characters when I think up a new theme, like my Terran Mirror defector flying a Paradox, or my Alien Scientist who uses Tholian ships and tech.

Note that if you have one character who is an X-recruit already there is no reason to create a second one. Delta is the only one with some faction-specific account unlock loot boxes, and they are the tiny episode completion ones. Just do a TFO instead.
  • torchwood1968torchwood1968 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Yep, I have all those covered. Hoping for something new on the horizon. Otherwise, it's just more of the same. Thank you
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Far as I know there really isn't any plans for a new recruitment event. So... really up to you.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    While there is no pressing reason to have more than one of anything except Delta, it is also true that there is no harm in having more than one, and the recruitments do have some nice rewards for the recruits themselves that are not available to the non-recruits, as long as you do the requirements for them on the new character.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    In my opinion, most of the rewards from recruitment events are interesting enough to create a new character. And if they are not, there's no need to worry about it.

So if you're playing with the idea of creating a new character, I'd just do it. You can always create yet another one if they do create new recruitment events (which is doubtful anyway).

Personally I find a new type of build, a specific theme (certain species, a particular ship), or an idea for an interesting bio much better reasons to create new characters. I wouldn't wait just because there may or may not be a recruitment event in the future.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    I had to create a new character after creating a previous new character and finding a cool little Easter egg in the DSC-era cadet names. Which is why one of my current toons is Capt. John Rutsey of the USS Snowdog.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    In my opinion, most of the rewards from recruitment events are interesting enough to create a new character. And if they are not, there's no need to worry about it.

So if you're playing with the idea of creating a new character, I'd just do it. You can always create yet another one if they do create new recruitment events (which is doubtful anyway).

Personally I find a new type of build, a specific theme (certain species, a particular ship), or an idea for an interesting bio much better reasons to create new characters. I wouldn't wait just because there may or may not be a recruitment event in the future.

Of course, sometimes a recruitment event can play into a theme or bio, which is admittedly not often, but it is great when it does :)

It is kind of a shame though that the Gamma recruit event is tied to the narrowest niche "faction" in the game which makes it bit of a dud (MMOPopulation charts do not show much (if any) spike like the other recruitments do).

Personally, the Gamma event is a sort of vacation from STO for me (I usually take up the slack with more ESO and either Secret World Legends or Champions Online), and a lot of people I have talked to do pretty much the same (though usually with other games as their fallbacks). What possessed them to make a faction of only a single genderlocked race (one that is also essentially a constructed bio-android weapon with nothing but pre-programmed skills for a background for an added helping of RP uselessness) I cannot fathom, especially since genderlocking is probably the number-one most hated thing when it comes to races in MMOs, but to each their own I suppose.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    When it comes to races PERIOD - I get that the team building Diablo 2 Resurrected were keeping to the original game as much as possible, but...I wouldn't have complained about opposing genders for the classes that actually have opposing gendered counterparts (which was basically every class except the Amazon).

Same issue with Path of Exile - the only elemental caster class (in fact, I think the only caster class at all) is female-only - or at least it was over a year ago when I looked in just long enough to see if the developers had decided to stop being idiots.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Usually I stick to a theme that's also lore accurate like a Romulan crew flying a Romulan ship with disruptor bean weapons and plasma torpedoes just like in the shows, Romulans using plasma beams on their ships is a STO invention,

Are go with a Cardassian theme with a full Cardassian crew in cardie uniforms and dlying Cardassian ships,

Most of these themes might not be very powerful but they at least feel authentic to Star Trek

Also I heard that STO devs are still working on Discovery Andorians.
This discussion has been closed.