test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

BLACK FRIDAY: THE FINAL FRONTIER

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
edited December 2022 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In one of our biggest Black Friday sales ever, you can save on Zen, in the Zen Store, in Mudd's Market, get two limited time bundles, and more!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11531333
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    75% off Mudd's, except bundles.
    What can i say, nothing tempting.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I checked the prices, most things I'm interested in are still far too expensive. Not least because most C-store bundles like the 11th anniversary one also contain a lot of stuff I'm just not interested in.

I understand that a lot of these things are also added to get the many newer players to spend money, but Cryptic should realise that for older players, buying another four expensive ships like the new bundle is unlikely to be a good deal. I simply already have a lot of stuff - even for a single new ship I'd have to look hard for a character to use it.
    Four ships? Most of them are going to be left unused, probably. Or four other ships are going to be used less often.

There's just a huge drop in marginal value for players who've been here a while and who already have a hard time using all the stuff they bought in the past. Each new purchase is going to be less useful already (that's true for everybody) - and that will only be moreso the case as the size of the potential purchase increases.

Again, I understand that there's a big number of newer players that you're catering too, that makes perfect sense. But please also consider the attractiveness of these bundles to veteran players.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,932 Arc User
    In one of our biggest Black Friday sales ever...
    Ever? Really? Looks awfully similar to previous years offerings. Who writes your blog posts?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • kestrel5kestrel5 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I checked the prices, most things I'm interested in are still far too expensive. Not least because most C-store bundles like the 11th anniversary one also contain a lot of stuff I'm just not interested in.

I understand that a lot of these things are also added to get the many newer players to spend money, but Cryptic should realise that for older players, buying another four expensive ships like the new bundle is unlikely to be a good deal. I simply already have a lot of stuff - even for a single new ship I'd have to look hard for a character to use it.
    Four ships? Most of them are going to be left unused, probably. Or four other ships are going to be used less often.

There's just a huge drop in marginal value for players who've been here a while and who already have a hard time using all the stuff they bought in the past. Each new purchase is going to be less useful already (that's true for everybody) - and that will only be moreso the case as the size of the potential purchase increases.

Again, I understand that there's a big number of newer players that you're catering too, that makes perfect sense. But please also consider the attractiveness of these bundles to veteran players.

I've been a lifetime player since beta 2009. There's only two items that interest me this Black Friday Sale, the Legendary Intel D-7 and Mirror Universe Bundle's Legendary Intel Dreadnought Cruiser.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Just the same old sales recycled. Nothing better in terms of discounts and no promos to drive sales on things like DOff packs, Promo packs, etc. The Lobi sale has already ended and we have had two meh ships in lock boxes over the last couple of months. Cryptic must really not want my money.

I would like the Legendary Vesta but I am not paying for a ton of junk I have no use for. I want the ship! I am not buying another crappy starter bundle aimed at new players when I have been playing this game for more than a decade! The D7 and 11th Anniversary bundles would be nice too. Just not enough of a discount.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, since the new Mudd's Bundle is only on sale and out to December 15th, at least is does not conflict with actual Christmas days. Two years ago Mudd's Bundles were 75% off around Christmas. Last year they released a new Mudd's Bundle that was at the 50% off until after Christmas thus preventing the other Bundles from a 75% sale lest it 'confuse' the Player Base. I will wait again until Christmas to see what happens.

This new EP or whatever who hails from the lucrative Korean game Market that's been around in the last couple of years seems to be more of a cheapskate even with record STO income intakes.

Mudd's now capped at 75% max down from the original 80% or 85% discounts when it first came out Lobi sales at 20% down from the 30% we had for a while. Zen Charge Bonus at 20% max down from the sliding scale to 25% (Champions current sliding is to 35%).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Call me cynical, but I see this as proof that many of the things people are pointing out (too much bloating of packs, too high prices) are resulting in lower-than-expected sales.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    I hope Cryptic/Gearbox can do something with the feedback provided. We need smaller bundles and options to select the things we find interesting from the larger, existing ones.

75% off of prices that were way too high to begin with and still will be considering a lot of the stuff is just not wanted by players... That doesn't become a better deal by adding some gambling items.

Items that were supposed to be and are eventually replaced by those same expensive packs anyway.....

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I hope Cryptic/Gearbox can do something with the feedback provided. We need smaller bundles and options to select the things we find interesting from the larger, existing ones.

75% off of prices that were way too high to begin with and still will be considering a lot of the stuff is just not wanted by players... That doesn't become a better deal by adding some gambling items.

Items that were supposed to be and are eventually replaced by those same expensive packs anyway.....

100% agree! A ships only version of the 11th Anniversary bundle would be nice as one example. The keys have no value to me if I can't sell or trade them. If there was another limited time Lobi promo ship bundle or a 50% off Lobi sale.. That might make it a little more tempting but there isn't.
    jcsww wrote: »

100% agree! A ships only version of the 11th Anniversary bundle would be nice as one example. The keys have no value to me if I can't sell or trade them. If there was another limited time Lobi promo ship bundle or a 50% off Lobi sale.. That might make it a little more tempting but there isn't.

Yup.

Although holo-Worf would be nice to have, I know I wouldn't use them because I consider it a bit strange to walk around with the holo version of an actual person (in-universe and real life).

Keys and lobi are one-time uses, so their value is limited. Give us an option to buy only the ships indeed.

• exiledhermit#3227 exiledhermit Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    I'm sure I'll come-off as entitled sounding, but I was curious about something. I have two buds that play STO too & they each bought some zen, I think both $50 amounts or $100 amounts or 1 of each, & I went "BIG" & spent $200 for the 27,000 zen including bonus since I had some extra cash. Interestingly enough they each received a follow-up email giving them some in-game Holo BOFF or BOFFs as appreciation for buying whereas I got zilch. I mean come-on Cryptic give a guy a bone for spending more lol. Maybe it is because I already have the appreciation gift, I think I have that Holo Leeta?
    I'm sure I'll come-off as entitled sounding, but I was curious about something. I have two buds that play STO too & they each bought some zen, I think both $50 amounts or $100 amounts or 1 of each, & I went "BIG" & spent $200 for the 27,000 zen including bonus since I had some extra cash. Interestingly enough they each received a follow-up email giving them some in-game Holo BOFF or BOFFs as appreciation for buying whereas I got zilch. I mean come-on Cryptic give a guy a bone for spending more lol. Maybe it is because I already have the appreciation gift, I think I have that Holo Leeta?

Things like these seem to be totally random, with little to no clear logic behind them.

I've probably spent thousands of Euro's on STO over the years and I've never been included in any sort of 'VIP'-promotion - while other people who claim to have never spent a single dollar did receive such promotional rewards.

At least, that was how things were with the special golden Ferengi ships. This is the first time I'm hearing something about a special Boff-promo though?

Things like these seem to be totally random, with little to no clear logic behind them.

I've probably spent thousands of Euro's on STO over the years and I've never been included in any sort of 'VIP'-promotion - while other people who claim to have never spent a single dollar did receive such promotional rewards.

At least, that was how things were with the special golden Ferengi ships. This is the first time I'm hearing something about a special Boff-promo though?

It might sound funny but I'd prefer the total randomness concept since spending double &/or quadruple more & getting no appreciation gift doesn't sit with me well when Cryptic is doing it. I had forgotten about that golden Ferengi ship till you mentioned it, I do remember it causing some controversary. Learned my lesson, don't spend or don't spend as much with Cryptic.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    If a Mudd sale could get a "premium" type single ship down to $35 or $40 I suspect that it might sell well enough to compete bottom-line wise with the ultrabloat packages they seem to only come out with nowadays for Mudd's.

For instance, I was sorely tempted to get the Legendary Bugship just for the ship itself (I have several faux-Vorta it would be perfect for) during the brief time the package could be gotten for about $40 because of both the intro discount and a zen sale happening together, even though the rest of the package would be useless since I don't run horneytoads, but the way it was packaged I was not sure I could even purchase it with a faux-Vorta or open the package far enough to get the ship if I did.
    If a Mudd sale could get a "premium" type single ship down to $35 or $40 I suspect that it might sell well enough to compete bottom-line wise with the ultrabloat packages they seem to only come out with nowadays for Mudd's.

For instance, I was sorely tempted to get the Legendary Bugship just for the ship itself (I have several faux-Vorta it would be perfect for) during the brief time the package could be gotten for about $40 because of both the intro discount and a zen sale happening together, even though the rest of the package would be useless since I don't run horneytoads, but the way it was packaged I was not sure I could even purchase it with a faux-Vorta or open the package far enough to get the ship if I did.

That Legendary Bug Ship is the only Captain's Bundle I have bought. I think Cryptic overvalues those level boosts & the Captain's Bundles are too expensive for what they offer. After your post I took a look at them a bit closer. One is only for Discovery toons, one is only for TOS toons, etc etc so I sort of see what you mean.
This discussion has been closed.