test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are El-Aurian the Time Lords of Star Trek Universe? Spoilers for The Power Of The Doctor Warning!!

ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
edited October 2022 in Ten Forward
After Watching second season of Star Trek Picard a line that Guinan said they can change how they look and change there appearance so could this mean they are actually the Star Trek's Version of the Time Lords from Dr Who. There is a Strong case for it Because the 14th Doctor is the10th Doctor. the reason why I make this case is because we got a different Guinan played by Ito Aghayere; but wait how dose Picard knew who she is well 24 Century Guinan showed him. Now there is a lot of Differences between the time Lords and El-Aurian of course one they can age differently plus they are more of a reputation of a race of listeners, this just my theory if anyone else wanna add or comment on it please join in.
May the Shwartz Be With You
CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Eh... from my knowledge of Time Lords, for the most part they cannot choose what form they regenerate into. And from what I've read, the return of David Tennant as The Doctor is meant to be a complicated issue with The Doctor's regeneration. Also the 14th Doctor is not going to be the return of the 10th Doctor. Each Doctor is different. So I highly doubt that we're getting 10th's personality back.

As for the El Aurians... they are still a rather big mystery. All we know so far is that they are an ancient race that rival the Q in power somehow, despite being what appears to be a corproeal species. My interpretation of the new actress who played a younger Guinan is that was really all it was, a younger Guinan. Yes we saw her in the 1800s with Mark Twain, portrayed Whoopie, but we also have to give the caviat that she's not as young as she was back in TNG, so it wouldn't have made sense for her to play a younger version of her character at this point. And the younger version of Guinan hadn't met Picard in the 1800s because of the altered timeline. No Enterprise to meet the Dividians, which in turn led to Picard meeting Guinan and Mark Twain.

Another thing we know about El Aurians is that they are sensitive to changes in the timeline, sometimes getting violently sick, but most of the time just aware that something... isn't right.

What I'm more interested in is that she seemed to run a bar named 10 Forward for centuries, one on Earth on Forward Street, and one on the Enterprise-D on the bow of the ship on Deck 10.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Apparently, some of the Time Lords could choose what they regenerated into to some degree.

For instance, Romana did a kind of body-fashion show (and changed several times on one regeneration "charge") when she regenerated (possibly rubbing it in the Doctor's face the fact that he couldn't, the incarnation she was leaving had that kind of borderline-nasty and aggressive sense of humor), finally selecting the blonde-haired and sweeter-tempered incarnation for the rest of her run with the fourth Doctor.

Also, there was some sort of Order which could produce potions that would force a regeneration into certain channels so traits could be selected (though probably not exact looks) in the "New Doctor Who" period.

As for Guinan, she said they could adjust their apparent age over time to some degree and she was pacing her friends from the Enterprise for a time, it might be that she saw some advantage to looking younger in the 20th/21st centuries but prefers the apparent age she was in TNG.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    I thought the Watchers of S2 of Star Trek: Picard according to some people are like the Time Lords from Doctor Who. I don't think the El-Aurians are the Time Lords. Then again I am not into Dr. Who as it is so I can't really give a definitive answer about this topic.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Eh... from my knowledge of Time Lords, for the most part they cannot choose what form they regenerate into.
    Indeed. The Second Doctor had a forced regeneration and was given the opportunity to choose his appearance.
    Romana was trying on a few bodies at the beginning of 'Destiny of the Daleks' and it's certainly hinted at in some of the Doctor's visits to Gallifrey that Time Lords can choose their appearance when their body just 'wears out' instead of being mutilated, blasted, or some other such accident.
    And from what I've read, the return of David Tennant as The Doctor is meant to be a complicated issue with The Doctor's regeneration. Also the 14th Doctor is not going to be the return of the 10th Doctor. Each Doctor is different. So I highly doubt that we're getting 10th's personality back.
    Well, we've probably all seen the end of "The Power of the Doctor" by now, and I was expecting Ncuti Gatwa to be telling the story of something that happened to him 'a long time ago'.
    Instead, we were surprised to find out that Gatwa isn't going to be the 14th Doctor.
    However, I don't think we should have been too surprised. The Tenth Doctor was exterminated mid-story at the end of the 2009 series and regenerated into himself. The Vanity!
    Now, this Doctor has returned himself to the fore for a third time. THE VANITY!!!

Anyway, getting back to the El-Aurians, they're long-lived and time-sensitive. These are traits more common to other species within the Doctor Who mythos - perhaps the Tharils?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    edited November 2022
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I thought the Watchers of S2 of Star Trek: Picard according to some people are like the Time Lords from Doctor Who. I don't think the El-Aurians are the Time Lords. Then again I am not into Dr. Who as it is so I can't really give a definitive answer about this topic.

Dr. Who suffers from some of the same inconsistency between older and newer versions problem that Star Trek does (though nowhere near as bad), so comparisons depend to some extent on exactly which versions you are doing the comparison with.

The Watcher concept changed between TOS and PIC. For instance, in Assignment Earth not all agents were called "Supervisor", Gary Seven was called that because he was the new Earth station chief (in CIA terms) while "201" and "347" were just regular agents.

Their mysterious benefactors were in some ways the opposite of the Federation, they were more like the Preservers (in fact could have been them) and secretly helped civilizations past the danger points every civilization faces in their struggle to the stars, not primarily just time cops like PIC (perhaps inadvertently) implies, though they did have time travel or at least time scanning of some sort because they were quite familiar with the 23rd century when Enterprise accidentally intercepted Gary Seven in the 1960s.

El-Aurians are not good time travelers, doing it apparently makes them somewhat sick and disoriented for a while which would not make them very good at rapid response to anything involving it. On the other hand, they have a sort of quantum sense which gives them a feel for dimensional phenomenon and disturbances in the flow of time similar to that of a Time Lord even though they are not exactly great at the travelling part.
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    I am not saying that the EL-Aurians are the Time Lords that they are like the Time Lords hence Regeneration but with the Doctor from Doctor who he might not be able control his Regeneration cyical unlike humm... The El-Aurians,and there roles are different like you guys said the Trek Universe as the Travellers the Guardian of time but when the Doctor Regeneration back to the 10th form into his 14th he was freaking out because he kept going I know these Teeth and I know these Face and kept going What What WHAT! So he is going to be a different Doctor yes but in the same body as the 10th that became the 14th. So El-Aurians are like the Time Lords hence the Regeneration but they can control it much better then the Time Lords can
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    ryuranger wrote: »
    I am not saying that the EL-Aurians are the Time Lords that they are like the Time Lords hence Regeneration but with the Doctor from Doctor who he might not be able control his Regeneration cyical unlike humm... The El-Aurians,and there roles are different like you guys said the Trek Universe as the Travellers the Guardian of time but when the Doctor Regeneration back to the 10th form into his 14th he was freaking out because he kept going I know these Teeth and I know these Face and kept going What What WHAT! So he is going to be a different Doctor yes but in the same body as the 10th that became the 14th. So El-Aurians are like the Time Lords hence the Regeneration but they can control it much better then the Time Lords can

I don't think I'd say El-Aurians can regenerate, at least not in the same way Time Lords can, since, as far as we know at least, El-Aurians can only alter their age, not every cell in their body.
    Other differences between them are that El-Aurians are mostly peaceful while Time Lords seem to breed renegades pretty regularly like the Master, the Monk, the Rani and the Eleven, also they have the tyrannical leaders like Morbius and Rassilon.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Soran was an El-Aurian who tried to genocide an entire species just so he could be deliriously happy. That is definitely not 'peaceful'.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited November 2022
    Soran seemed to be the exception to the norm though, while the Time Lords seem to have a lot of them (though to be fair, their origins were spread out in time and only clump together like that because they travel to important times from those distant points in it). Even before the timewar, the majority of the Time Lords seemed to be either somewhat neurotic and indecisive (and all too often obsessed with inane minutia), or haughtily megalomaniac and almost fanatic in their focus on their goals, with very little in between.

Romana, like the Doctor, was one of the exceptions to that and even she had to shed a lot of the pre-conceived notional baggage before she came to terms with who she really was (and could not even complete that without her time for regeneration happening). I suspect the madness of staring into the abyss of the Untempered Schism as part of their initiation rites leaves a stain on their inner being that many (even the more normal seeming ones) never completely get out.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
    The reason why I made this theory is the different actor that played Guniun in Star Trek Picard Season 2, and made me think could they alter there looks as well so they can blend in to the crowed more of any race they in counter. Its why I came up with this theory and with David Tennet is back as the 14th Doctor it helped my argument about the two. Look at the saiyans in Dragon Ball Super one War like in Universe 7 the other peaceful and protectors of the peace so they can be the same race from different universes just different roles.
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
    Considering Picard had no problem identifying her... I think its just implied that that is a younger Guinan and not some different regeneration style look.

Not like Whoopie could play a younger version of her character anymore. And honestly it was a better choice to cast someone younger for that particular role than try to do the whole digital de-aging that they tried in Mandalorian with Luke. While they did a good job with Q, it was only for a moment.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Considering Picard had no problem identifying her... I think its just implied that that is a younger Guinan and not some different regeneration style look.

Not like Whoopie could play a younger version of her character anymore. And honestly it was a better choice to cast someone younger for that particular role than try to do the whole digital de-aging that they tried in Mandalorian with Luke. While they did a good job with Q, it was only for a moment.

You forget get one thing Picard is from the Future and so Picard could actually see a picture of her during that time in early 21st century remember that Guinan her self as long life-spans and if she kept her Whoopie look with digital aging like you said people can put two to two together its a far fetch thing but think about it. They are incardinto on the planet they are studying; so its safe to say she can change how she looks either way of regeneration like the Time Lords in Dr Who or some sort of metamorphosis thats natural to her race.
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
    Picard also MET Guinan in the 1800s during their mission dealing with the Devidians and their time travel shenanigans. So in theory its not that she changed her full physical appearance, she just tweaked her age to blend in better into the early 21st Century. In universe that probably is what young Guinan looked like the entire time. Out of universe it is a different actress portraying a character we all know and love.

We have to accept that there are things we have to just ignore for the sake of the story. The fact that the actress doesn't look like Whoopie is one of them. IMO she did a great job, and maybe even had Woopie around for some pointers, but having a different actor rather than digital de-aging was the best solution for the situation.

All we know of El Aurians is that they are a LONG lived, corporeal species with some kind of connection to time, since they are affected by changes in the timeline. And they seem to have some kind of rivalry with the Q, a non corporeal species. Hell apparently the two fought each other or something in the distant past. I wouldn't be surprised if the El Aurians as a whole are on the brink of evolving into energy beings or something at this point.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    If casting a new actor when the old actor is, well, old is "regeneration", then Humans are Time Lords - in the '09 movie, Chris Pine did not look like Bill Shatner. (Timeline, schmimeline - it's still James Tiberius Kirk, so by your reasoning they should be physically identical.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    If casting a new actor when the old actor is, well, old is "regeneration", then Humans are Time Lords - in the '09 movie, Chris Pine did not look like Bill Shatner. (Timeline, schmimeline - it's still James Tiberius Kirk, so by your reasoning they should be physically identical.)
    We need to look into other Franchises like Arrow verse for an example Crises on Infant Earths Special we have many Actors that played Clark Kent the Actor from Smallville the Actor played Ray Plamire and Clark in Superman Returns every Reality you can have Different Actors but played the Same Character like DCEU Flash meets up with Arrowvers Flash. same formula gose with Star Trek's Kelvin Timeline/Prime Timeline.
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

Sometimes it's necessary to recast a role, because the character is far, far younger than the actor who played it previously. That has nothing to do with timelines, or regeneration, or any other such silliness. El-Aurians have an innate ability to tell if timelines have shifted, but they can neither time-travel nor regenerate, any more than Jim Kirk regenerated from Bill Shatner to Paul Wesley for the SNW episode "Quality of Mercy".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    The Reason I came up with this theory is from the Star Trek Doctor Who Crossover where the 11th Doctor and Guinan were talking and they seem to know whats going more then anything and we do know from Dr Who the time Lords like the El-Aurians have great understanding of time its one of the reasons why Dalaks try to eradicate the Time Lords because they can undo what ever assimilation the Dalakes did. it can be understandable when recasting a role like with Spock or Kirk or even Pike ( prefer SNW Pike then the Cage) That the Actors have passed on like Jeffery Hunter and Lenard Nemoy or they are to old and Fluffy like William Shanter same with recasting the entire original series actors! In the first episode of Season 2 of Picard where Guinan said to Picard we can change our appearance to look much older then we are; that was suppose to be a through away line to explain her age because of Whoppie's Age and in the third episode we got a different actress playing Guinan and it accord to me why not do Digital aging on Whoppie like they did with Mark in the Mandaloran That's where it hit me they might have something smiller ablates like the Doctor if not the same in order to blend in society.
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    I feel like the Q Continuum is much closer to Timelords, they even dress the part.
    The "Dr. Who"/Trek crossovers (there have been two, one set during TOS and the other TNG) were in the comic books. It's harder to get further away from main continuity while still having Star Trek involved. It's like arguing that Khan and his people were mutants, because there were two Trek/X-Men crossovers (the first being memorable for Spock nerve-pinching Wolverine, and the confusion when someone called out for "Dr. McCoy" with both Bones and Beast responding, while the second had a running gag about how much Prof X looked like Picard).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    I read the novel Planet X. But it does come across as a sequel. Turns out its a sequel to a comic book crossover that takes place right after First Contact. Apparently the Enterprise-E didn't get back to the 24th Century immediately. They got swept up in events involving Kang the Conqueror. However for the X-Men, the events of Planet X takes place shortly after that, whereas for the crew of the Enterprise, it's been a year.

Also apparently in Planet X, they determined Nightcrawler's power is similar to Warp Drive, since when he pops back into existence he's covered in Verteron Particles, which are indicitve of Subspace Travel. I think Shadowcat would have joined Starfleet if she had the choice. lol