test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

THE FALL OF THE OLD ONES!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,294 Community Moderator
edited November 2022 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Halloween Event returns next week on all platforms! Enjoy two Patrols to go along with the returning Halloween TFO!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11527833
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Excellent call to expand the event to include more playable things. I'm looking forward to trying the new Patrols.
  • dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    Hopefully this Will Not mess with our menus after the patch...
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    I wish they could mix up this event a bit per year, it doesn't always have to be the witches as the bosses, they could do vampires, werewolves, etc.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,993 Arc User
    The two new Patrols as options are nice to have, but they're very obviously just sequences from the TFO with the numbers of enemies cut down to something more manageable for the single-player & Boff.

My initial thoughts are that the Witches patrol worked quite nicely, but I feel the Skeletons might not have been reduced enough. Perhaps a few more days running it will change my mind...

As mentioned above, some variation on the enemies would be a welcome addition - vampires, werewolves, zombies, robot-zombies (again).

Whilst it's nice to have Hearts & Minds available again, there was a missed opportunity to have it count as part of the event too - even if just for 1 point of progress. There's been plenty of episodes of Trek that have wonderfully creepy premises and "Hearts and Minds" brings the episode "Impulse" to mind.
    Are the Old Ones the only Hallowe'en entry in the Trek canon? Certainly not - insane Vulcans, macroscopic viruses, protomorphic viruses, malfunctioning maintenance holograms, homicidal xenophobic Cardassians, Devidians, etc.

A couple of the missions that have been removed from the game could even be added back as Hallowe'en-themed missions to add to the list of things we can play.
    • Ghost Ship - Have Franklin Drake give the mission?
    • Shutdown - Again, Franklin Drake could give the mission.
    • Rapier - Perhaps this could be the Devidians instead of the Jem'Hadar causing the problems on the Rapier. Cleaning them out of the wormhole could result in meeting one of the Prophets and them offering their thanks - similar to the ending in "Tear of the Prophets".
    • State of Q - Surely Q is the ultimate Trickster and would love Hallowe'en. Here, we also have robot-zombies to contend with.
    • Mine trap - Star Trek's very own Vampires are the main foe here. This would need a little bit of reworking to turn it into a regular 5-man TFO.

Finally, could the Squire of Gothos perhaps be convinced to bring some haunted shenanigans to STO...?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I didn't participate in last year's event, so yesterday and today were my first times I played Cat's tale.

On the one hand, I like it. It is well designed. I also could feel useful on my melee toon again, simply standing near the candles and meleeing everything while using one of those very old kit modules for self-healing. I managed to do almost the entire mission solo - only to find out that the part with the skull and the Hags isn't soloable.

On the other hand, I didn't like it - because you need other players who also have to make themselves useful. I played the mission solo today because too many people were just shooting stuff without paying attention the other day. So I figured I might as well go alone, since those other players weren't really making themselves useful.

As noted, that wasn't possible, so I joined a team thereafter. This time, players were paying more attention than they were yesterday. Unfortunately, they were also luring skeletons away by aggroing them with player-duplication abilities and then through shooting all sorts of nicely coloured beams and creating volcanoes, probably hoping that something would be damaged eventually.

That was the case, but it also took five players longer to get past that phase than it took me on my own.

In conclusion:

These missions are enjoyable in that success requires more than the mindless 'press spacebar' that allows players to complete most of the other content. Missions like Cat's Tale bring back the best part of what ground content used to be about: positioning yourself in the right way to succeed, being in the right spot at the right time and actually paying attention to what needs to be done.
    These missions are, however, less enjoyable because they also remind me that the rest of (the ground part of) the game has been less engaging and 'challenging', resulting in very few people apparently still being able to do anything besides spamming powers and pressing spacebar.

I am, as a result, not sure whether we need more of this type of content, or less.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Ground content is not my best thing, so I wouldn't want to inflict that on a team. Rather, I did the two patrols instead. Once I figured out what to do it was much more enjoyable and quicker the second time around.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    I have greatly enjoyed the new ground patrols. I was able to follow the storyline of the TFO better. I am going to have to see if the Witches Brew one has a bug that causes a delay for when the marks window opens up. Twice I have had to wait until I got out of that patrol to collect marks and get progress for the event. This issue does not affect the first patrol. I will try again tonight. If it does it again I will make a bug report about it.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,496 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    I have been doing the "Cats Tale" so far. The only problem is that the VFX is so excessive with five people fighting that it is often impossible to see anything, which is especially bad when you cannot even see you are the one 'tagged' to trigger the special attack in the last room.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,993 Arc User
    ...when you cannot even see you are the one 'tagged' to trigger the special attack in the last room.
    You don't need to see - just listen and hear what the Old One is saying:
    "One of your comrades..." vs "You have been phase-shifted..."
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • coaldust#7044 coaldust Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    I do love the Old Ones event. The TFO last year and patrols this year are great fun!

Could we get a buff for the console though? It's very underwhelming. Maybe buff the damage based on EPG or CtrlX.
    "We've learned that friendship isn't always easy. But there's no doubt it's worth fighting for."
This discussion has been closed.