test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrade Shuttle craft

gerbil#9687 gerbil Member Posts: 18 Arc User
It looks like there was a whole other part of STO that used Shuttle craft but its been neglected for years and there are some good designs I'd like to use. I think the shuttles need to be turned into full star ships, I don't think anything else can be done with them.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    Shuttles aren't as capable as a full size starship. That is already reflected by their limited capabilities.

The problem is we have a lack of things to DO with said shuttles. We used to have Shuttle events that had shuttle versions of various TFOs like Fleet Alert. That one was pretty much the only 20 man that was likely to pop when it was around.

And I still want a TNG Type 6 available in game. Maybe even the Type 11 and Scout vessel from Insurrection.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Shuttles aren't as capable as a full size starship. That is already reflected by their limited capabilities.

The problem is we have a lack of things to DO with said shuttles. We used to have Shuttle events that had shuttle versions of various TFOs like Fleet Alert. That one was pretty much the only 20 man that was likely to pop when it was around.

And I still want a TNG Type 6 available in game. Maybe even the Type 11 and Scout vessel from Insurrection.

That scout ship could possibly count as very small starship (like the T'Pau) or a very large shuttle (it seemed bigger then a Runabout IIRC).

The others would be shuttles though and yeah it would be nice to get those even if there's only very little shuttle content.
    edited October 2022
    Well... here she is, with a Type 11 from the Enterprise.
    insurrection0226.jpg?ssl=1
    I think the main reason she looks bigger than a runabout, is that the cockpit viewports are more like that of a fighter, set up for a single seat configuration rather than the typical dual seat of shuttles and runabouts. So I'd say she's more comparable to a runabout or even a Captain's Yatch.

And for reference, that is not perspective. At this point in the encounter, the shuttle has attached to the underside of the Venture class Scout for boarding, so the two craft are physically connected to each other and Data tried to shake them loose.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gerbil#9687 gerbil Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I'm not thinking so much from an In universe perspective than simply wanting to use some shuttle craft in more parts of the game. If I thought we were getting some kind of shuttle overhaul that would be one thing but it just looks like they were abandoned so just giving them star ship stats would let players use them in-game again.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    Turning shuttles into full T6 starships would be a bit too much, in my opinion.

Of course they could come up with some excuse as to why a thing the size of a shuttle can be as powerful as a full starship - but then you can't escape the question: why isn't that same technology applied to actual starships then, making those even more powerful?

At best, they should be something like a T3 or T4 ship. Decent and better than what they are now, but not as good as an actual starship.

As for content: they should bring back missions like Shuttle Fleet Alert sometime. Those were quite fun to play and a welcome change to playing regular ship content.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Turning shuttles into full T6 starships would be a bit too much, in my opinion.

Of course they could come up with some excuse as to why a thing the size of a shuttle can be as powerful as a full starship - but then you can't escape the question: why isn't that same technology applied to actual starships then, making those even more powerful?

At best, they should be something like a T3 or T4 ship. Decent and better than what they are now, but not as good as an actual starship.

As for content: they should bring back missions like Shuttle Fleet Alert sometime. Those were quite fun to play and a welcome change to playing regular ship content.

maybe release Holo-projectors that just turn your ship into the desired shuttle craft? The Latnum exchange already has a bunch that change your character and ship and we may get a copy of one directly from the shuttle craft we unlock? I just want to use shuttles and T-1\4 ships in late game.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    They can keep the restricted weapon slots, and limited station counts (but they should all have two stations). Then expand all shuttle station ranks based on captain level, the way T6 ships do. That gives multiple shuttles in the game a niche to fill within their own niche: some are focused on tac, others are focused on sci, while most are focused on eng. And players will actually have something to do instead twiddling their thumbs while the weapons auto-fire.

Personally I also made so that all small craft have inherent pilot spec.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    What's funny is that some hangar pets which are based on flyable shuttlecraft are much, much stronger than those shuttlecraft. There are hangar shuttles with multiple forward and rear weapons, and a slew of abilities they can use, while every shuttle we've got access to is limited to 2 weapons, 3 consoles, and 1-2 abilities via boff stations.

On a semi-related note, my main character's shuttlecraft is a tholian widow fighter, and I've set up a full radiation build on it that can get it through patrols and normal TFO's pretty easily. Obviously it doesn't have the damage output or versatility of a starship, but for a shuttle it's pretty dang strong.
    edited October 2022
    The shuttles aren't the thing that got me thinking about it but they are probably the easiest to do something about if we want. Maybe we don't have to make them T-6 but maybe they can be made competitive enough that we could do something more with them than we can now?
    I think the biggest thing that can make shuttles viable again... is to just bring back the old Shuttle Event versions of things. Shuttle Fleet Alert was QUITE popular, and having 20 shuttles swarming large capital ships AND WINNING is always entertaining.

Frankly I used to listen to Star Fox music while flying around in my Aeon during that.

Shuttle combat can be hectic, but its also pretty fun when you're not the only shuttle.

Part of the fun of a shuttle is having to pick what to put on her. IMO a shuttle with the full Cardassian console set is interesting, but on the other hand a shuttle with the Point Defense console is also entertaining, and safer from hostile shuttles.

Decisions, decisions... silly combos on a shuttle.
    There's probably a reason they haven't done a shuttle event in a while. If we might be able to get some of this other content happening again that would be great but baring that, I really don't think there is a major issue just turning them in to starships. Isn't there some test server we can run experimental stuff through?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Your fun is not wrong, but I'd vote for shuttles staying shuttles and bringing back shuttle events.
    Your fun is not wrong, but I'd vote for shuttles staying shuttles and bringing back shuttle events.

Why did they stop doing shuttle events, were they that unpopular? I wouldn't have much of a problem if there was more to do with shuttles.
    Why did they stop doing shuttle events, were they that unpopular? I wouldn't have much of a problem if there was more to do with shuttles.

Not really sure. I could try asking about it though.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    Isn't there some test server we can run experimental stuff through?

There is the Tribble Test server for PC players and you can experiment with a variety of things. Once you're there go to Drozana Station and find the special console on the back wall across from the bank for access to things such as unlimited respecs, upgades, and ways to complete reputations. Access to Tribble is via a separate download on the game launcher.

https://arcgames.com/en/my/character/copy/sto

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Tribble_(server)

https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11237543-test-your-ship-builds-on-tribble%21
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If you did 'Atmospheric Assault' on Advanced during the Event you could clear over 300 Marks with the Daily Bonus. Perhaps they thought that was roo generous.

They may also have issues with people not being able to switch to the Shuttle. My current Main was one of my first Characters and when I started playing the Character again last year, even though I had a Delta Flyer it would not indicate that I had a Shuttle. Could not Beam up to the Shuttle, 'Atmospheric Assault' was grayed out and other things. When I added another Shuttle to my Roster (Aeon) everything cleared up. It's like the Delta Flyer, though in the Shuttle Section of my Roster, was being treated as a Starship.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.