test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Eye of the Storm

2»

Comments

• psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    Repetitive boss fight made even worse by a gimped character. At least the voice acting wasn't annoying this time. A couple of surprises but not many because the TFO is set after it and tells you the end in its description. The Emperor might have been a wow moment before if they'd revealed him at the end the previous episode. But you see him as you load up the game. I would have had Picard as the emperor. Although Data/Lore would have been cool with this storyline.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,388 Arc User
    > @leemwatson said:
    > I absolutely have enjoyed playing a 'baddie' version of myself, and folk have been asking for this 'creature-play' for YEARS guys, come on! It does not do anything permanent to your own character....
    >
    > Time-gates are a part of life, and in-game they 100% should exist.
    >
    > And Sci's are wickedly effective in this with the chain lighting.

Here's the thing about "creature/different character play": People do indeed ask for these when the previously NPC is interesting, but they expect a different and interesting gameplay, which STO doesn't provide, since it's the same gameplay, except even clunkier (with Neth Parr) or literally the same but weaker. And even, when you do something different, it doesn't mean it's gonna be good.
    I come from Warframe, where we have various types of gameplay and they're all considered inferior to the main one, with the "jetpack" being the worst. The playable co-op ships got some well-deserved flak at first but they got rapidly optimized and this is where the ultimate showdown with your nemesis happens, while also having unique resources and rewards, and recently, we got a typical TPS protagonist, but that's because he was very well-liked and his first appearance was during an system-wide invasion to precisely show how utterly OP the warframes are compared to everyone else. Plus his HUD is completely different and he now has his own unique mode with his own abilities. Same with the other main mode that is weaker but is made to work in tandem with the main one, while also having their own story that is taking an incredibly horrifying turn.

So what is the inquisitor? You but with a weaker build with the exact same gameplay and abilities as yours.

Timegates are indeed part of life... hence why you should have much fewer in a game, especially when said game asks you to play it at least 14 times with another daily timegate.

And again, compared to the turrets,dark matter and especially the exocomp squad of the other classes, sci inqui pales.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    it would be nice to have a real team partner in the mission, at the parts where having cover fire would be nice, but having 2 inquisitors would be weird
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    The only bug I got was when prime me beamed down with all the terrans instead of mirror me. Was a bit strange until I remembered mirror char is just a wrapping.

Science inq powers were well, I didn't notice them do anything so just shot me phaser rifle at the drones.

Overall, very satisfying mission but I'm disappointed we only got the one. STO needs to put more resources into single player story. The game is kind of dead in between the three content drops we get a year and one mission just isn't enough for a 4 month wait.
    edited September 2022
    Another thing bothering me is how
    Killy went from "I'll be Empress and no-one will stop me" to "Yes, Master Emperor, how may this servant assist you in your clearly insane goals?" OFF-SCREEN.
    It could have been interesting to have a mission or two where we're shown how she got broken and lost her ambitions, which could have also allowed us to see what the Emperor is capable of, instead of just seeing him being able to cast an (admittedly OHK) AoE that apparently sapped enough of his powers to tick him off and having a big bad ship that goes down way too easily.

All the way through this arc, I was hoping for
    her to have some character development, but instead, all that happened was that it's implied she stole Leeta's Lukari girlfriend/pet, almost killed the inquisitor... and that's it. Why bring an underdeveloped character back if it's not to give her some development other than "she was an evil ambitious schemer, then she was an evil fanatically blind lackey, and now she's an evil dead?
    Also, Pahvo got dropped so unceremoniously as well. For a canon planet that was featured several times, with implications that what the Terrans did may have affected it and even got its Mirror counterpart featured, just getting an ambiguous cutscene followed by a simple "Pahvo was lost, sad" mention is underwhelming as best.
    #TASforSTO
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    Can we get the uniform reward an account unlock? I really don't want to run the mission 12 times
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Another thing bothering me is how
    Killy went from "I'll be Empress and no-one will stop me" to "Yes, Master Emperor, how may this servant assist you in your clearly insane goals?" OFF-SCREEN.
    It could have been interesting to have a mission or two where we're shown how she got broken and lost her ambitions, which could have also allowed us to see what the Emperor is capable of, instead of just seeing him being able to cast an (admittedly OHK) AoE that apparently sapped enough of his powers to tick him off and having a big bad ship that goes down way too easily.

All the way through this arc, I was hoping for
    her to have some character development, but instead, all that happened was that it's implied she stole Leeta's Lukari girlfriend/pet, almost killed the inquisitor... and that's it. Why bring an underdeveloped character back if it's not to give her some development other than "she was an evil ambitious schemer, then she was an evil fanatically blind lackey, and now she's an evil dead?
    Also, Pahvo got dropped so unceremoniously as well. For a canon planet that was featured several times, with implications that what the Terrans did may have affected it and even got its Mirror counterpart featured, just getting an ambiguous cutscene followed by a simple "Pahvo was lost, sad" mention is underwhelming as best.
    Who says she did? You don't make your ambitions clear to the one you're planning a possible coup against unless you want to die in agony from having your skin flayed from your body. I mean, the Emperor's RIGHT THERE, of course she's going to act like a fully loyal toady.
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    Let's see how i can phrase this without too many spoilers:
    Given the nature of the Other and the guardians during the ground part of the mission i expected certain kit modules to do better.

However, the devs appear not to have given the "guardians" the same type as the Other thereby rendering modules which are supposed to be very effective against the type of "The other" ineffective.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited September 2022
    [spoiler]Even when said target is about to acquire a McGuffin to receive ungodly amounts of power that, for all you know is gonna make him permanently unstoppable? That's an incredibly stupid move. And that's not mentioning how Dumdum's interactions with with the "false goddess" during the fight makes it clear she's fully loyal to him. Heck, even when the Inqling points out how this is a bad move in secret, she goes "Are you questioning Glorious Leader?" instead of "Well, if it goes wrong, we'll take the Terran approach".[/spoiler]
    Edit: Really? The mobile version of the site still can't handle basic stuff and even blocks them from functioning? Well, have some fun nicknames, just in case.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    Have I missed something storywise? The opening cut scene of this arc with the person floating in space and the planet dissapears. Has that been addressed as to who it was and what happened to the planet yet?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Nope
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    edited September 2022
    > @grylak said:
    > Have I missed something storywise? The opening cut scene of this arc with the person floating in space and the planet dissapears. Has that been addressed as to who it was and what happened to the planet yet?

While you can piece together it was indeed the emperor using an imperfect ersatz of what he got his hands on in the latest episode, it was outright confirmed in the launch trailer where you see him removing the helmet of the EV suit to reveal his face.
    #TASforSTO
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    > @grylak said:
    > Have I missed something storywise? The opening cut scene of this arc with the person floating in space and the planet dissapears. Has that been addressed as to who it was and what happened to the planet yet?

While you can piece together it was indeed the emperor using an imperfect ersatz of what he got his hands on in the latest episode, it was outright confirmed in the launch trailer where you see him removing the helmet of the EV suit to reveal his face.

I prefer to avoid trailers to avoid spoilers so I learnt later that the EV suit person was the Emperor on Reddit. The helmet reveal moment would have been good as a flashback in the latest episode because to me it tied the story together. Maybe it's something to spot on another playthrough of the earlier episode.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    > @grylak said:

Ah, ok. I didn't watch the trailer. So I guess that cutscene was just showing he has planet killing ability, which is kinda pointless after this episode.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • frtizoidfrtizoid Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    This is my first posting. I have been playing for eight years and thoroughly enjoy the game but feel it necessary to interject some opinions. Regarding the new story line; Wil Wheaton, really?!. Well, I suppose there are some who find him endearing but a bad guy? Ok, so let's put that behind us. Much better him as a good guy and not some malevolent character. I believe that when last we saw him, he was off with the Traveler looking to explore the Universe. Right, I know he's Terran but much better, if you must, a good guy.

Now to the mission and not mentioning the fix to make it somewhat playable. This mission is really bad. The graphics are nice and story line could have been better but the actual defending of oneself is terrible. A poor opportunity for using tactics, weapons and kit modules. Just a lot of running around hoping to kill them before you "get it". Really not so much fun.

Speaking of which, how about some real story arcs again, with some better story lines, graphics and writing.

Finally, what happened to the Accolades? Especially, with regard to Endeavors. You should be giving out Accolades for maxing out each skill and then a ton when the thing is actually completed. Unless you're planing on extending each topic to infinity. While on that topic, it would be nice to be able to clean up or out the partially completed accolades that you guys decided to discontinue.
    edited September 2022
    One thing I just remembered is a certain line in Discovery S3 regarding Mirror Universe incursions in the Prime timeline.

Considering that according to livestreams, the devs still (hopelessly, imho) more or less try to make the game fit in the main canon, the outcome of this arc is already a foregone conclusion, unless there are some temporal shenanigans involved later.

As Wesley said, without realizing the possible implications: "time to s*****r the m*****!"
    #TASforSTO
This discussion has been closed.