test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re-Engineering

toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
Why is it a year after it was said that Re-engineering was going to be addressed. We are still dealing with the Slot Machine mechanic NO ONE likes and does nothing but waste our resources. Want a X mod to cost X materials, fine, but don't make me waste 10 times that amount of stuff to get the mod I want. This needs fixed ASAP. And yes I would gladly skip a content drop with new missions or TFO's to get some fixes in the game especially this one. It's time Cryptic either focuses on fixes alone, or brings on a team to do nothing but fixes. One or the other but SOMETHING needs to be done.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I guess I'm showing my STO age, but I'm still happy that we are allowed to re-engineer at all. I remember the dark days of 2014.

I'd rather they fixed the gear that can't be re-engineered at all before they deal with the slot machine.

Also, I apparently missed the livestream or whatever where they said they would change the slot machine mechanic. Can someone with better search skills than mine find it?
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    If they can't find some way to monetize it, the priority becomes zero.

It's all about money now. Might as well be EA or Activision/Blizzard running this game.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    it could be far worse. anyone remember needing the borg wigits that only dropped from fleet actions, and you had to need on? had to have those to get the omega gear, which at the time was the best in game.you could literally play 100 tfos and never getthe thing
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    nixie50 wrote: »
    it could be far worse. anyone remember needing the borg wigits that only dropped from fleet actions, and you had to need on? had to have those to get the omega gear, which at the time was the best in game.you could literally play 100 tfos and never getthe thing

I also remember 2012 crafting where nothing could be upgraded. Upgrades didn't arrive until 2014 with Delta Rising. I think all gear was bound to character back then too, not just the old TFO gear.

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Why is it a year after it was said that Re-engineering was going to be addressed. We are still dealing with the Slot Machine mechanic NO ONE likes and does nothing but waste our resources. Want a X mod to cost X materials, fine, but don't make me waste 10 times that amount of stuff to get the mod I want. This needs fixed ASAP. And yes I would gladly skip a content drop with new missions or TFO's to get some fixes in the game especially this one. It's time Cryptic either focuses on fixes alone, or brings on a team to do nothing but fixes. One or the other but SOMETHING needs to be done.

You know I've heard people say that alot over the years, but when a patch rolls around that's nothing but bug fixes and no new content for awhile, they still end up complaining about it. If you truly mean what you say, you would be the first.

As for the re-engineering thing, I've wanted to see some changes made to it for awhile along with the crafting system itself. Be glad the initial version of it never made it to holodeck from tribble. It used to be on tribble that you could try to roll an acc mod off your weapon only for the system to still give you an acc mod, thus the roll essentially eating your resources and giving you nothing new. That's why initially they upped the costs slightly but made it so that you can't get the mod you just rolled off. So rolling off an acc means you can't get acc again for that roll.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    proteus#8097 proteus Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    Admiralty dil nerf, Phoenix upgrade nerf, tier 5 Reputation dil changes.....I wonder what's next.

As they appear to be on a relentless mission to reduce the dilithium ore available to earn and getting players to spend what refined dil they've amassed, sadly I doubt changing the re-engineering costs in favour of the player is high on their list of priorities.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Admiralty dil nerf, Phoenix upgrade nerf, tier 5 Reputation dil changes.....I wonder what's next.

As they appear to be on a relentless mission to reduce the dilithium ore available to earn and getting players to spend what refined dil they've amassed, sadly I doubt changing the re-engineering costs in favour of the player is high on their list of priorities.

If you disliked all of those changes it might help to realize that there is a horde of F2P players asking Cryptic to fix the dil exchange so they can trade dil for zen. Since this is a dil oversupply issue, removing sources and hopefully adding sinks is how those players' request can be granted.
  • Options
    proteus#8097 proteus Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    If you disliked all of those changes it might help to realize that there is a horde of F2P players asking Cryptic to fix the dil exchange so they can trade dil for zen. Since this is a dil oversupply issue, removing sources and hopefully adding sinks is how those players' request can be granted.
    I was merely making an observation, that's all, and suggesting that anything that reduces dil costs isn't likely to happen any time soon. These measures don't appear to have made a great deal of difference so far, but perhaps it'll take more time for the effect to filter through.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »

YES! And they were double length because the the Space and Ground portions were a single mission. For a while it was even longer because the Red Alert was added to beginning; that was back when the Red Alert was actually hard and very failable.

I ran that grind for both the Space and Ground MK XII Sets that gave the full visuals.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User

that is exactly correct. redue the AMOUNT of dil being introduced is a requirement to balancing the dilex. just look aout the window. the US cut way back on oil production, and gas prices went up.. supply and demand. same with Dilithium. reduce how much can be earned, the value goes up. Sadly, it's still incredibly easy to max out a daily refining quota
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Remembering the way it was, it was very difficult to understand and grind for resources for upgrading and crafting. There wasn't any re-engineering at all. So i'm pretty satisfied with the current system. Relieved in fact, those changes took away a huge grind, inventory slots, and bad luck out of the equation. Just happy it's there now, makes high level gear way more accessible to newer players.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I just wish EVERYTHING could be re-engineered.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Wait did they ever say they considered rerolling mods broken ?

Its working as intended as far as I understand. It is supposed to be a Dill sink. No offense but if anything they should increase the dill cost per roll. Its one of the few non fleet sinks we have that works. Its not supposed to be cheap to roll your perfect mod gear. Re rolling mods is hardly required... its a vanity/min max option that is supposed to cost you Dill.

Be very careful what you wish for. If it was up to me I would remove the gambling and just make it a set 50k dill per mod. That really is what Cryptic SHOULD do. In fact they have been looking for easy fixes... if any mods read this do me a favor and make sure someone there sees it cause its a good idea. Remove the gamble... let people select mods 50k per individual mod change. The DPS chasers will pay... the casuals that get upset at the gamble mechanic when the RNGuddha hatest them. Complainers on the forum will have nothing to be upset about, they can pay or ignore.
  • Options
    I'm not rolling in dil, and think 50k per mod is a bit steep, considering how many weapons, mod slots they have, and amount of equipment that can be re-engineered. I think it would make it even harder for new players to re-engineer their equipment. I don't like the 50k per mod idea. I'd be out of dil in just one gold weapon set. That's like 200k or more for just one weapon if you changed all the slots. Then times six, or more, weapons on a ship, waay too expensive.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    krisxr400 wrote: »
    I'm not rolling in dil, and think 50k per mod is a bit steep, considering how many weapons, mod slots they have, and amount of equipment that can be re-engineered. I think it would make it even harder for new players to re-engineer their equipment. I don't like the 50k per mod idea. I'd be out of dil in just one gold weapon set. That's like 200k or more for just one weapon if you changed all the slots. Then times six, or more, weapons on a ship, waay too expensive.

They could find a number. But its going to be more then the people complaining about the gamble mechanic are going to like.

Perhaps 50k is too much. On the other hand... Mod changing was never supposed to be the norm. We played this game for almost a decade where mods where fixed. Gear drops had value cause you might get the perfect mod bit of gear drop... some reputation bits that perhaps didn't have a great set where still great options cause they had a good mod mix. People would craft multiple weapons looking for good mod parts to upgrade... then get frustrated upgrading them when they would get one Meh mod. haha

50k ya that might be too steep. If they do remove the RNG though have no doubt its going to be north of 10k per mod, and perhaps 50% more for the gold mod or something. I mean 10k per standard mod and 15k for double mods... might actually be a good number. I don't know Cryptic has the metrics. They should probably just look now see what the "average" dill cost is for people doing RNG upgrades... take that average number round it off, and add 25% more.
  • Options
    That does sound a bit better. The random selection sometimes hits first try, which is nice. Other times it doesn't, which can be frustrating. And boy do I hear ya on the old system! Yes that was really frustrating, expensive, time, and resource consuming to be let down, not a good system. So now feels like a pleasure to craft and upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.