test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for a fleet

stillettostilletto Member Posts: 2 Arc User
I am still new to the game (level 30 Romulan Alien - FED aligned). I am interested in joining a fleet, but need tons of help as the learning curve is steep. I usually play Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm EST (USA). I was wondering if anyone could help with invitations and/pre what to look for in a fleet? I appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Best Answers

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    Welcome to the forums, you should edit your post body and title to include the platform - [PC] [Xbox] [PS4] since there is no cross-play.

One thing to look for it a fleet: reasonable expectations before they will let you buy gear from the fleet stores.

Making fleet gear available requires "provisions" that are created by completing fleet projects, that cost credits and dilithium. So if you buy 3 x space beam arrays, 3 provisions get consumed in addition to what you pay to buy them.

So, it's reasonable for a fleet to ask you to put in (say) 50,000 dil before they let you use the fleet stores. What is not reasonable is if a fleet demands something like an additional 10,000 dil every week, or that you give them x% of all dil that you earn.

Other than that, some fleets want you to do group activities, but many are casual fleets where there is little or no grouping.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Something else to look for: How active are members of a fleet? I've been in Fleets where I never saw anyone else in the Fleet ingame. Some of this is due to people playing in different time zones. Some of it is also due to people simply wanting a shopping mall rather than a group of people to play STO with.

Which isn't a bad choice automatically. This game doesn't make you group up to play.

Some fleets focus on the social aspects of playing STO. People in this kind of fleet don't care if you're flying a Miranda class with all white gear, they just want someone to play STO with.

I've been playing STO since March of 2012 and this is the kind of fleet I like being in.

I'm guessing most players would rather a combination of the two. Access to Fleet-level gear AND someone to game with while using said gear.

OP, you're going to make mistakes when choosing a Fleet to be part of. Which is part of that learning curve you speak of. It isn't as steep as you think. And if your first experience as part of a Fleet is not what you think is what a Fleet in STO ought to be, then walk away as fast as you can. There are plenty of Fleets in STO. Sometimes you just have to try more than one to find that right fit you're looking for. STO is a really fun game. I think playing with Fleetmates makes it better.

EDIT: my ingame handle is @thunderfoot1007. Be glad to continue this discussion, or any other you might want to, ingame. I'll tell you everything I know about STO. It will be the best ninety seconds of your day. Promise. XD.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    ^ good points. Another thing: if you do walk away from a fleet, any fleet credit you earned from donations comes with you and can use used to buy things from the next fleet that you join.

For the fleets I'm in, sending a polite in-game email to fleet leaders has always gotten me a response, but sometimes delayed by a couple of days because not everyone logs in every day. So if you've been in a fleet for awhile and haven't had your rank increased, try sending an email.
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    Can't add more than those above lol, but if you need a fleet that's fairly casual, inbox me ingame @malazancommander
    We have a FED fleet (which is pretty much built up), and still working on our sister KDF fleet.

Answers

• stillettostilletto Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I am on PC. Also, I have not figured out how to message someone in game. It always acts like I am trying to message a stranger. I will try some more. Thanks again.
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    No worries. We play on PC as well.

Top right, click on:
    mail icon > Compose (top) >Add the handle of the person (ex.) @malazancommander
    Type message and send. You only need the handle. Otherwise, if you use one of the character names at the handle, you'll only be sending it to that person's specific character. So if someone doesn't use that character very often, it would be of a while before you hear back.