test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ok, old man question(s) time lol...

2»

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    The wiki helps you with this as well: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Starship_Separation

But to summarize, there are 10 starships in the game that have a separation mechanic of some sort. However, the separation mechanic is a odd animal indeed, and the only case in which my previous suggesting falls a bit short:

All the consoles that would allow your ship to separate are ONLY available on the Tier 5 versions of the ship OR come with the purchase of the Tier 6 'Legendary' version.

That means in order to have a separating Tier 6 Galaxy-Class for example, you have to purchase the (otherwise obsolete!) Tier 5 Exploration Cruiser Retrofit AND the Andomeda Tier 6 version OR you have to purchase the Ross Legendary Exploration Cruiser to get it all in 'one' purchase - a purchase however which is incredibly expensive in actual money. It's part of a bundle with a asking price of 30.000 zen or roughly 300$.

Not all ships are that expensive, but you are looking at minimum at the purchase of two different ship variants (for example, the Tier 5 Oddyssey Operations Cruiser and one of the three Tier 6 Variants, priced without sale at 5500 Zen or 55$). Now, I personally love the separation mechanic for it's flair, but if one is absolutely honest, it's in-game value is lackluster. Separted ship parts are vastly inferior to other combat pets, are non-controllable and probably only die off-screen. Unless they receive a serious upgrade you have to think really hard if it's worth the investment. I for instance am playing this game since 2011. In all those years I have gotten almost all the Tier 5 and many Tier 6 ships in the game and rarely if ever did I spend actual money because there were giveaways, a working dilithium exchange, promotional codes, charity events or free ship tokens etc. - most of these opportunities do not exist any more, so you are indeed looking at a possible full price purchase here.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Wow, including the link you just provided, that was a very comprehensive summary of the ships that can separate from itself, thank you very much for that. It is sad that one has to go threw all of that (and buy) to get even one good T6 ship that can seperate like the Galaxy class or Prometheus can (for example), so it looks like I won't be getting any of them any time soon unfortunately. Ahhh well, I guess its time for me to put that down on my "wish list" for another date, and focus on something else for now... such as...

I sorta have a concept for a ship & character that I want to at least try and put together, but to do so I am going to have to get some more information about some things, and so it's question time yet again lol. I am thinking about making a pseudo "Rick & Morty" typer character concept, with Rick Sanchez as the captain, and his crew consisting of different variations of Morty. While Morty's per say seem to be fairly easy in a way, Rick's look is sorta throwing me off a bit; specifically the lab type trench coat he wears. So my first question is this... is there any clothes/costume pieces in the game that at least looks in passing like a lab/trench coat by chance? If so, what is it called, and where might I be able to find it?

Second question... I can invision if he had his way, Rick would have a Starship that while very powerful, functional, and dangerous, would look a bit... ugly, if not even steam punkish as well (btw, am I right in thinking that?). I really don't see him commanding a "pretty" ship like the Galaxy class for example lol. So, what ship(s) would you suggest that could fit the bill so to speak, not only in function & power, but appearance as well?

I was looking at the Fek'Ihri Gok'tad Carrier as to me at least, that's a fairly ugly ship, though quite dangerous (and the pets could be little "Morty's" too flying around, killing things lol), but as I can't seem to get that one in any shape or fashion, what would you all suggest instead? I was sorta thinking about a Science vessel (of course) that also had at least one hangar bay (for flying Morty's), but I am not sure. What do you all think?Oh, and what profession do you think Rick would have? Science or Engineer? I have yet to try out a Engineer, but I am not opposed to it, and it might be fun too with Rick always building things.

Anywho, thank you for your time, and please feel free to let me know any and all suggestions you might have, as I have been thinking about making such a character for a while now. :)

Peace...
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    There are some long coats in the Winter event store, I think one comes in white, I used a dark blue/violet for a character I imported from the World of Darkness tabletop stuff (though I am trying the mirror Coalition armor coat for that now). Someone did up a Gorn in one (or something like it) that I think was supposed to suggest The Lizard from Spiderman. You could also try the Coalition armor since it has a long coat. There could even be an actual lab coat somewhere, but if so, I don't know where.

I have no idea what Rick and Morty is like (I have never seen the cartoon), but if you are looking for a 'steampunk' look the best thing for that might be the Fek'Ihri Fe'rang since it looks a lot like a capsized Chinese junk. To me the Gok'tad isn't particularly ugly, just alien looking and rather reminiscent of a shadowtech destroyer from Babylon5, though the Kar-Fi skin for it does have a sort of whimsical steampunk vibe if you have it available (if you have a KDF character on your account the T5u Kar-Fi is available for free at level 61, which unlocks the skin for use on the Gok'tad).

The old Shi'kahr would have been great for the 'ugly functionality' part, but the recent total revamp has none of that personality to it. If you have the ship already then playing with that kitbash kit could make something else that might qualify though it is not exactly powerful.