test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another Day another Ship bundle...

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    As always: yes it is expensive, $150 for 3 ships (or stuff). However, compared to getting these through gamble boxes it is cheap - $150 for 3 account-unlocked ships vs. $200+ for 1 single-character ship.

Is it a good deal? Maybe, if you want the ship(s) and were tempted to go on a gamble box opening spree to get one.

Is Cryptic giving us what we asked for many times, a way to get the ships without gambling? Yes, though people would be happier if they also had the choice to buy single ships. Those would be at a higher price though, since Cryptic can more easily justify lost gamble box revenue by making you spend $150 for 3.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    Hasn't Cryptic done the recon ship before ? I am sure I already have that unlocked.

As for the three faction ships. They are some of the least used ships in the game... I can't imagine Cryptic is going to sell a ton of this pack. The Crossfield... has what THREE updated versions in game at this point... a refit, a Terran... and a legendary. The ship of the dead... haven't even seen Role players using it. The Romulan ship is also forgettable.

At some point Cryptic is going to drop another Mudd pack I'll have to buy. This isn't one of them. 4 so so ships... 2 of which already have superior legendries. (and I have to assume most of us that buy mudd packs also buy leg packs)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    I don't really care for any of the ships. Already have the Crossfield from the 10th pack and I hardly play the other factions so...

As for them releasing these ships in expensive packs: at least players now (should) have little reason to complain about gambling boxes.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    1800 Got Junk would charge less to haul this TRIBBLE away
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    As always: yes it is expensive, $150 for 3 ships (or stuff). However, compared to getting these through gamble boxes it is cheap - $150 for 3 account-unlocked ships vs. $200+ for 1 single-character ship.

Is it a good deal? Maybe, if you want the ship(s) and were tempted to go on a gamble box opening spree to get one.

Is Cryptic giving us what we asked for many times, a way to get the ships without gambling? Yes, though people would be happier if they also had the choice to buy single ships. Those would be at a higher price though, since Cryptic can more easily justify lost gamble box revenue by making you spend $150 for 3.

No. They can not justify these prices. At all.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    I guess i will be saving up for a bit longer.
    The barge of the dead is the only ship in there i find remotely interesting thus this pack is not good value for me.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited August 2022
    jozen#9312 wrote: »

That's subjective though. I think paying $180 a year every year for WoW or SWTOR or Elder Scrolls is too much but that's just me. I'd also never pay $1,000+ to attend one championship sportsbowl game while other people do every year. Their fun is not wrong.
    been so long since if cross checked cost. i take it that the 29500 zen is equal to $295 dollars?

A bit less since for $200 you get 23000 zen and $50 gets 5300 zen so just under $270 at normal zen prices. They do have 20% off sales on top of that now and then.

That's if you buy it list price which is madness for Mudds Market. The initial price is 50% off or $150 if you buy the zen right now.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My feelings on each ship:

JHRS: Why wasn't this just packaged with the JHSS as a 2 in 1 choice option for that bundle? The two ships are identical except for the seating. Complete waste of a Mudd Bundle slot if you ask me.

Crossfield: If I liked the Crossfield Class I'd be tempted to get this to use instead of the Legendary that I own just for the 4/3 weapons layout ... but I DON'T like the Crossfield so no thanks.

Sarcophagus: I would never use that hideous thing for any reason whatsoever.

Dhailkhina Warbird: It's an OK looking ship, doesn't blow me away but it's not hideous either. Trait looks interesting. Would only pick it up if it was bundled with other ships that I actually did want.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I was planning to get the Dhalkina with my event ship so this isn't bad for me, I can get the Dhilkina, sarchopagus, and maybe the bug ship or 50 keys (I have the legendary crossfield so no need for it) so for me I can get this pack and then free up my event prize for something else. over all this is something I'm keen for, just a pity it's in a pack
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

Their asking prices are completely arbitrary, and scarcity is artificial. Whether Cryptic sells 10 or a 1.000 copies of the same ship, the base costs to create the asset remain unchanged. And they can copy it as many times as they like. As such, every additional sale, at any price, means more profit at zero additional costs. In that light, demanding 3 times the price of a AAA game for assets created years ago seems more like daylight robbery to me.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    jozen#9312 wrote: »

Keep in mind, these are account-wide unlocks.

And Dave is correct in stating that those ships are already a lot cheaper than previously.

They can't lower the prices even more compared to boxed ships, or no one would buy those anymore. And whether you think that's a good thing or not, it would mean less revenue for the game and that would, in the end, be good for nobody here.

szim wrote: »

Their asking prices are completely arbitrary, and scarcity is artificial. Whether Cryptic sells 10 or a 1.000 copies of the same ship, the base costs to create the asset remain unchanged. And they can copy it as many times as they like. As such, every additional sale, at any price, means more profit at zero additional costs. In that light, demanding 3 times the price of a AAA game for assets created years ago seems more like daylight robbery to me.

Not totally arbitrary. And of course they could sell even more copies of this particular pack, but that wasn't necessarily true for the original packs these ships first appeared in. More exclusive can also mean more valuable to those considering getting those ships from a gamble box. That determined the price of the original items, and they have to avoid devaluing their gamble boxes too much.

Since these are all re-releases of products that were even more expensive as well as limited in the past, they cannot choose whatever price they like.

I can see why people think these asking prices are too high, I don't necessarily disagree with that. That's just the opinion of us as customers though, it doesn't mean they're arbitrary and that there is no justification for them.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I am very curious if any poor soul decides to buy one of these packs for the listing price of 600 dollars - would they refund it, because it's fun and "you are not supposed to buy them at this price" or is this simply a no-effort trap for some clumsy whale? pig-2.gif

I get that they need to make money, but I'd be ahsamed to put those prices up, unless any attempted purchase is denied with a Mudd-like quib and a disclaimer that you can only buy this stuff "on sale" when they unlock the purchase.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    > @angrytarg said:
    > I am very curious if any poor soul decides to buy one of these packs for the listing price of 600 dollars - would they refund it, because it's fun and "you are not supposed to buy them at this price" or is this simply a no-effort trap for some clumsy whale?
    >
    >
    > I get that they need to make money, but I'd be ahsamed to put those prices up, unless any attempted purchase is denied with a Mudd-like quib and a disclaimer that you can only buy this stuff "on sale" when they unlock the purchase.​​

Well the narrative that you will often hear on the forum is that Cryptic planned to only offer the Mudd’s content at the sale price, but because of fears of false advertising they were forced to also make it available at the “joke” price. But we were all there when it went down—and that is not how I remember it. I think they always intended to sell the things at full price.

Besides if Cryptic was worried about false advertising they would fix the blogs, and broken bridges. They would change the listing of the EV suit in the Vesta bundle, etc.

It is hard for a consumer to win a false advertising lawsuit if one actually happened anyway. An advertisement isn’t a legally binding contract:

https://thehustle.co/leonard-v-pepsi-harrier-jet-lawsuit/?utm_source=digg&amp
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I am very curious if any poor soul decides to buy one of these packs for the listing price of 600 dollars

I'm sure a couple people do, but anyone who does do that is probably well off enough that the price doesn't matter to them.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    qultuq wrote: »
    It is hard for a consumer to win a false advertising lawsuit if one actually happened anyway. An advertisement isn’t a legally binding contract:

https://thehustle.co/leonard-v-pepsi-harrier-jet-lawsuit/?utm_source=digg&amp

When Mudd's first launched the mentions of legal issues that I saw all referred to EU consumer protections laws, not US law. Idk the particulars of it, but Cryptic would need to obey the laws of every country it's offering the game in, not just US law.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I am very curious if any poor soul decides to buy one of these packs for the listing price of 600 dollars

I'm sure a couple people do, but anyone who does do that is probably well off enough that the price doesn't matter to them.

If Elon Musk started playing STO he'd probably buy all the things at the insane list prices. Why wait for a sale if there is no difference between $300 and $600 at your wealth level? Then have an assistant spend hours opening thousands of gamble boxes to get all of those ships.

Me, I'm cheap. I'd wait for a sale on zen to get that discount, then stack it with a sale on the ships. Or most of the time, spend $0 and skip it entirely. Then do the 5-event grind for the free ship.

Just because I understand the business reasons for Mudd's bundles doesn't mean I'm rushing to buy them :)
This discussion has been closed.