test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you Believe in Bad Event Rewards?

anomalousxanomalousx Member Posts: 12 Arc User
Previous years got the Kobayashi and a Frigate this year is a kit module for turrets?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Not every event needs to give out a ship.

Also the playable Kobayashi Maru only tops out at T4. And the Elachi Frigate was an oddball that year to get outside of our usual 3 seasonal event ships per year.

Like ANY reward... it can be useful, but probably not for everyone. Look at it this way. Its an account unlock so any new alts have access to it as an option. Other than that... no one is under any obligation to use it. Can just get the account unlock and move on.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I'm doing the entire event only because it's a stepping stone toward getting two T6 ships at the end of the campaign. The individual event rewards don't really matter that much to me.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm doing the entire event only because it's a stepping stone toward getting two T6 ships at the end of the campaign. The individual event rewards don't really matter that much to me.

Good point. Even if you don't want the console, the event is part of getting a free lock box or promo pack ship, or 2 x T6 zen store ships of your choice. That's more than generous enough for me.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    No I don't.

Because if you believe the reward isn't worth the effort or your time, you're saving those things.

So you either get an interesting reward, or it's not interesting to you but then you don't need to concern yourself with it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited August 2022
    No I don't.

Because if you believe the reward isn't worth the effort or your time, you're saving those things.

So you either get an interesting reward, or it's not interesting to you but then you don't need to concern yourself with it.

Also a good point. I've skipped many events and red alerts where I didn't care about the reward. Cryptic doesn't promise to provide you with an event that you want to play every day of the year. If you don't want to play, don't. Get Game Pass and work through the 300+ games there, go crazy at GoG.com, whatever is fun for you.

• captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    In fact it's kinda nice when there is an event that you don't feel you HAVE to do and can take a break
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    No I don't.

Also a good point. I've skipped many events and red alerts where I didn't care about the reward. Cryptic doesn't promise to provide you with an event that you want to play every day of the year. If you don't want to play, don't. Get Game Pass and work through the 300+ games there, go crazy at GoG.com, whatever is fun for you.
    Agreed. There have been a large number of events I've skipped because I just didn't think the reward was all that - I've still got three or four Experimental Upgrade Tokens cooling their metaphorical heels in my Account Bank right now, I don't need more.

Meanwhile, I'm still climbing up the board on Fallout 76, trying to see how far I can make it in Fortnite without giving them any money, playing through Mass Effect Legendary Edition... I got stuff I can do, ya know?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Simple answer? No.

Expanded answer: There are plenty of rewards i think are "dumb" or "useless" for various personal reasons, but even then, I don't think they're BAD rewards. A) because they're free... or "Free" since you DO have to earn them and invest the time. Or, now that you can out right buy them, either from the event buyout or later on from mudd's.

Regardless of what i think or what issues i have with a reward, there are always going to be people that like them or find a way to make them useful. No matter how bad a reward might actually be, there are always going to be a few people that enjoy it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, and as usual when the Event was first announced the Blog had the usually expected error. It said the Kobayashi Ship was the prize.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Not every event needs to give out a ship.
    >
    > Also the playable Kobayashi Maru only tops out at T4. And the Elachi Frigate was an oddball that year to get outside of our usual 3 seasonal event ships per year.
    >
    > Like ANY reward... it can be useful, but probably not for everyone. Look at it this way. Its an account unlock so any new alts have access to it as an option. Other than that... no one is under any obligation to use it. Can just get the account unlock and move on.

We already got a bonus ship this year too. We got the Mirror Gagarin.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Not every event needs to give out a ship.
    >
    > Also the playable Kobayashi Maru only tops out at T4. And the Elachi Frigate was an oddball that year to get outside of our usual 3 seasonal event ships per year.
    >
    > Like ANY reward... it can be useful, but probably not for everyone. Look at it this way. Its an account unlock so any new alts have access to it as an option. Other than that... no one is under any obligation to use it. Can just get the account unlock and move on.

We already got a bonus ship this year too. We got the Mirror Gagarin.

And apparently there's another one coming 'relatively soon' too, according to the notes from the latest Ten Forward Weekly.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Some people do the events just to add something else to complete over time. The prize at the end is mostly a bonus.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    I don't believe there is bad events but i do believe that there are poor rewards for all the stuff we have to deal with just to get the reward. It is hard enough to play the game in the current situation things are in and unfortunately it is taking its toll on the game over all.

The worst thing is that it's not hard because the game requires skill or it's a difficult mission to complete. A STO event consist of repeating one incredibly easy and boring task a lot of times - it's not a very good system to pike interest in the game.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited August 2022
    sad. used to be my "go to" game. alas, i have found another to play in its place until either sufficient time passes and i find it fun again to play this game, or something earth shattering happens within it.

It's difficult for any content-based game to remain entertaining forever and for tens of thousands of hours. Even the low-content PVP games get replaced over time by the new shooty flavor of the year.

I've put 1,000+ hours into Fallout 4 (100% Steam achievements, woo!) but that is over 6 1/2 years, with long often year-plus breaks in between replays. There's no way I'd have as much fun playing it day in day out. It's also a game with hundreds of user mods, Foundry on steroids.

I'd recommend accepting that STO isn't going to remain as entertaining to you as when you first started. Try taking breaks, skipping events, etc. and playing more of other games. Come back when you start to miss it.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    At least it's not the transmuter wand. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    psymantis wrote: »
    At least it's not the transmuter wand. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that.

Probably doesn't fit with most peoples builds. Might work for a theme build if someone wanted to run around like a magic user. But for most things... its seasonal theme fluff that is situational. But I'm sure there's someone out there having fun with it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It all depends on how you read the Thread Subject. Is it:

Bad Event.....Rewards; or

Bad.....Event Rewards.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Aside from space barbie I have a strong dislike for the entire ground portion of the game, so imo kit modules are always bad rewards no matter how objectively good they might be in terms of performance. Same goes for armor too, unless it includes a costume unlock.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    My personal OCD requires me to earn every event reward, just in case… I have since Feb of 2012 when I joined… However, most (thinking close to 80%) of the event rewards I have never used on any toon… Bad rewards? Maybe not to everyone… Just not useful for me…

My hang up is that I am going to soon have an Event Campaign IV box and I still haven’t opened the EC III box! I just can’t decide which ship/option to get!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    crm14916 wrote: »
    My personal OCD requires me to earn every event reward, just in case… I have since Feb of 2012 when I joined… However, most (thinking close to 80%) of the event rewards I have never used on any toon… Bad rewards? Maybe not to everyone… Just not useful for me…

My hang up is that I am going to soon have an Event Campaign IV box and I still haven’t opened the EC III box! I just can’t decide which ship/option to get!

CM

I have a T6 token from...4?....years ago that I haven't spent yet. I'll make up my mind eventually :)
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    usually the bad event rewards end up working out ok for one of my alts. Might be bad for the main-of-the-moment but when starting a new alt and filling slots what was unappealing suddenly becomes useful
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    The REAL question should: What defines as a BAD event reward? Examples anyone?

It's more like is an event worth my TIME grinding for its reward? Some armor pieces are fun to have, but do not qualify to use on higher difficulties etc... Dilithium if bought out early is a plus
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    stark2k wrote: »
    The REAL question should: What defines as a BAD event reward? Examples anyone?

It's more like is an event worth my TIME grinding for its reward? Some armor pieces are fun to have, but do not qualify to use on higher difficulties etc... Dilithium if bought out early is a plus

Only the individual can define that and answer that for themselves. "One man's junk is another man's treasure."
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    stark2k wrote: »
    . Dilithium if bought out early is a plus

Before doing that, look at how much dil you could get with it from the exchange. On PC, 100 zen = 50,000 dil.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Since events are the primary driver of the game's 'user engagement' metric, event rewards that don't engage users are, by that definition at least, bad rewards.

But in this case, its a combined Event Reward in that the current Event also gives you progress towards receiving one of the following: A LockBox Ship/2 Free T6 Tokens/1500 Lobi

Thus there is effectively more than one reward being 'worked for' in game.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.