test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

any theory's how we meet strange new world's crew in game?

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
i think its pretty clear somehow strange new world's missions will be coming at some point. anyone have some theory's on how that happens? we know time travel will be involved. but how do you think they come to us or we go to them. i think they are going to change the old star trek tutorial like they did bringing janeway in the tutorial
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    The Agents of Yesteryear starter quests haven't really seen an update since they released.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    The Agents of Yesteryear starter quests haven't really seen an update since they released.

I don't think it would be a good idea to change those (except maybe for improving the visuals a bit, though they are good enough for now) for two main reasons.

First, they have the voices of the TOS crew that they could get back then but cannot get anymore for the most part and it would be a serious slap in the face to TOS fans to eliminate those VOs. Second, AoY happens during the missing fourth or fifth season of the five year mission, more than a decade past SNW so it would not work without additional time travel in the AoY arc itself which seems unlikely to pull off without it feeling like contrived fan service.

The most likely scenario would be a separate SNW episode or arc similar to the way the Kelvin stuff is handled, with its own time incursion and unique wrapper plot instead of piggybacking on AoY. Some possibilities for that could be one of Burnham's "dominos" causing unforeseen effects which either pulls in the player's ship to SNW (or pulls Pike's ship forward) or necessitates a planned incursion of some sort to correct before it triggers some time disaster or whatever, that may or may not have anything to do with the "dominos".

The possibilities for bringing in SNW without disturbing AoY are practically endless, on the other hand there is not much that would be plausible if they try to integrate it into AoY.

Either way, it is probably at least a year or two off in the distance unless CBS has made a special effort to bring STO devs deep into the show's confidence so they know what will happen soon enough to have time to mirror it in the game to some extent (at the very least the kind of sneak peek they did with DSC, though it would probably require more than that considering the more complex nature of SNW).
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    maybe not a subfaction, but some sort of timey whimy shenanigans will occur
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    Maybe revamp city on the edge of never to be a multi mission time travel arc?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Or, and maybe I'm just crazy here, we don't actually meet any of the SNW crew, just get some more of the stuff from the show in-game.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    Or, and maybe I'm just crazy here, we don't actually meet any of the SNW crew, just get some more of the stuff from the show in-game.

I mean time travels an oooold trope anyway and I'd not object to some fun time travel shennagens.
  • whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    Time travel has become the most overused element in Star Trek. It's either something from the future going to the past, or in the case of Discovery, something from the past going to the future.

This is why I feel that giving STO a self-contained branch for each of the eras represented by the show. It gives each era solid representation, rather than just spending a few missions in it and then going to the post 2409 era.

I would personally rather play a SNW-era captain, forever locked in that era, even if the amount of episodic content is limited. This way, we can interact with potentially any character introduced in SNW. When the episodic missions are done, like I said, a meta-driven endgame would always be running autonomously with scenarios that may or may not play out, depending on what the players do. And if scenarios can continuously be added, rather than full-blown episodic missions, though occasionally a few of those might get added as well, especially as the show progresses through its run, so there would be in-game representation of the evolution of the state of the known galaxy in that era. Of course, there would be no PVP. That would be the price of having it self-contained. Essentially, all SNW characters would be faction 0 forever. They would NEVER belong to a faction. They would never leave the SNW sector space map. We'd get Strange New Worlds Online

Same treatment should be given to the 32nd century Discovery era. Its sector space map would be fleshed out using references from every 3rd and 4th season episode establishing the status and nature of planets and other visitable sites. And as that show continues to expand on the era, the sector space map would be fleshed out even more. Every episode should be referenced to identify scenarios for the metagame. We'd get Discovery Online.

Each era would get the solid representation it deserves. But like I said. It won't happen because there are not enough man hours available to make it so, even though it would be the ideal way to go, if they could.
    sounds like what you want is a star trek game with mass effect like story telling
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Hmmm probably a mission added to one of the Temporal arcs? I dunno. A what if scenario where the USS Defiant (TOS) doesn't respond to the Tholian distress call?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Time travel has become the most overused element in Star Trek. It's either something from the future going to the past, or in the case of Discovery, something from the past going to the future.

This is why I feel that giving STO a self-contained branch for each of the eras represented by the show. It gives each era solid representation, rather than just spending a few missions in it and then going to the post 2409 era.

I would personally rather play a SNW-era captain, forever locked in that era, even if the amount of episodic content is limited. This way, we can interact with potentially any character introduced in SNW. When the episodic missions are done, like I said, a meta-driven endgame would always be running autonomously with scenarios that may or may not play out, depending on what the players do. And if scenarios can continuously be added, rather than full-blown episodic missions, though occasionally a few of those might get added as well, especially as the show progresses through its run, so there would be in-game representation of the evolution of the state of the known galaxy in that era. Of course, there would be no PVP. That would be the price of having it self-contained. Essentially, all SNW characters would be faction 0 forever. They would NEVER belong to a faction. They would never leave the SNW sector space map. We'd get Strange New Worlds Online

Same treatment should be given to the 32nd century Discovery era. Its sector space map would be fleshed out using references from every 3rd and 4th season episode establishing the status and nature of planets and other visitable sites. And as that show continues to expand on the era, the sector space map would be fleshed out even more. Every episode should be referenced to identify scenarios for the metagame. We'd get Discovery Online.

Each era would get the solid representation it deserves. But like I said. It won't happen because there are not enough man hours available to make it so, even though it would be the ideal way to go, if they could.
    sounds like what you want is a star trek game with mass effect like story telling
    What they want is a tabletop roleplaying campaign. The limiting factor in this scenario isn't programming time - it's the fact that it requires server computers that have greater capabilities than the systems at JPL.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Honestly short of a holodeck scenario I'm not sure how to bring in SNW cast. I mean they could surprise us and we end up fighting alongside Captain Pike to preserve the timeline from temporal shenanigans from B'vat as we still have a section of the Klingon War arc still in revamp. But that would also depend on a lot of factors that could also delay their eventual return.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    Strange New Worlds based Ships, gear, and costumes... Yes.

Stunt casting for voice acting, shoehorning plots and yet another revamp of the tutorial... No.

Writing an original story and characters using Strange New Worlds elements... Yes.

Here's a thought;

Let's build a mystery;
    The Pike era USS Constitution shows up with all hands in current endgame year, yet there is no historical evidence of it having disappeared and quantum analysis clearly establishes that it is from our own reality/timeline. Who or what is responsible? The only clue is a feint techno-babble emission/particle trace in the vicinity in which The USS Constitution "arrived."

As the story progresses other ship classes from a variety of species/governments appear providing for in-story reasons for the release of new ships and gear over time.

This way we can still get the Farragut (I forget the class name), Gorn ships, etc., and the assorted doodads and fidgetywinks which have effects of a radically reduced visual component (I had to be That Guy, you know).

Then perhaps we wait until the latter quarter or third of the story arc to learn that Captain Pike and crew are investigating the same phenomenon in the past via a temporary quasitemporal link that allows short-term standard communications between the present and the past. Again, though, to add to the mystery, there is no historical evidence that Captain Pike or the Enterprise were ever involved in such an endeavor.

I even have an interesting solution to the mystery, but I wouldn't want to reveal that publicly, now, would I?

EDIT:
    Indeed, with the solution I have in mind, it would make sense for ships, gear, things, and stuff from any era to make an appearance. More story-based reason to makes the sales, you know?
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    One thing that could be interesting in an unexpected way is apparently, assuming they weren't simply messing with us, SNW's season 2 includes a Lower Deck's crossover episode. Which includes at least some of the voice actors appearing live action. some of this I can see working, like the guy who plays Boimler looks like Boimler in real life. And Jerry O'Connel IS Ransom. But one hopeful thought. If they are putting the LD characters in as live action, maybe possibly CBS/Viacom might actually approve some in game 3d models for them?

And honestly LD would be the easiest show to integrate into STO story arcs or simply one off missions. Their main schtick is "Second Contact Missions". Go see what has become of some of these places Kirk and Picard visited. Don't you all want to go and revist the Toga Party Planet that wanted to execute Wesley Crusher for stepping on the grass?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

Stunt casting for voice acting, shoehorning plots and yet another revamp of the tutorial... No.

Writing an original story and characters using Strange New Worlds elements... Yes.

Here's a thought;

Let's build a mystery;
    The Pike era USS Constitution shows up with all hands in current endgame year, yet there is no historical evidence of it having disappeared and quantum analysis clearly establishes that it is from our own reality/timeline. Who or what is responsible? The only clue is a feint techno-babble emission/particle trace in the vicinity in which The USS Constitution "arrived."

As the story progresses other ship classes from a variety of species/governments appear providing for in-story reasons for the release of new ships and gear over time.

This way we can still get the Farragut (I forget the class name), Gorn ships, etc., and the assorted doodads and fidgetywinks which have effects of a radically reduced visual component (I had to be That Guy, you know).

Then perhaps we wait until the latter quarter or third of the story arc to learn that Captain Pike and crew are investigating the same phenomenon in the past via a temporary quasitemporal link that allows short-term standard communications between the present and the past. Again, though, to add to the mystery, there is no historical evidence that Captain Pike or the Enterprise were ever involved in such an endeavor.

I even have an interesting solution to the mystery, but I wouldn't want to reveal that publicly, now, would I?

EDIT:
    Indeed, with the solution I have in mind, it would make sense for ships, gear, things, and stuff from any era to make an appearance. More story-based reason to makes the sales, you know?

Wasn't NCC-1700 USS Constitution seen in TOS which is set after Strange New Worlds and thus couldn't be thrown to 2409 and honestly Star Trek isn't Warhammer 40 000 so Star Fleet should have blue prints of older ships stored safely. No reason to build a storyline reason for those.

Now a temporal mystery could work (Hell if you got CBS on-board with it they could even make it double side where we one side in STO and another in SNW) but you'd have to be careful that it doesn't come off as an excuse to include SNW content in STO.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Honestly short of a holodeck scenario I'm not sure how to bring in SNW cast. I mean they could surprise us and we end up fighting alongside Captain Pike to preserve the timeline from temporal shenanigans from B'vat as we still have a section of the Klingon War arc still in revamp. But that would also depend on a lot of factors that could also delay their eventual return.

That's how I'd do it. the problem with the old Klingon War arc stuff is if they just brought it back they'd have to do new KDF or Romulan stuff to make up for starfleet having so much more content, so yeah best way to do it would be completely revampthe story arc, and make it one that sees some time travel to the SNW era
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Here's a thought;

Let's build a mystery;

EDIT:

Wasn't NCC-1700 USS Constitution seen in TOS which is set after Strange New Worlds and thus couldn't be thrown to 2409 and honestly Star Trek isn't Warhammer 40 000 so Star Fleet should have blue prints of older ships stored safely. No reason to build a storyline reason for those.

Now a temporal mystery could work (Hell if you got CBS on-board with it they could even make it double side where we one side in STO and another in SNW) but you'd have to be careful that it doesn't come off as an excuse to include SNW content in STO.

I could have been more clear about that.
    The reason that history doesn't record that the USS Constitution went missing, even for a little while, is because it didn't. Yet here it is in current year. That's the mystery. How can both things be true?

No, we don't need an in-game story reason to have all the things, but it does make it more interesting/fun than having to hunt down a random line in a lore blog that might someday have a link added to the forum. Eventually.

The reason I went with the USS Constitution is so that Strange New Worlds can proceed unimpeded by any story elements that may pop up in the game. It's a measure to prevent fans of both getting hot under the ring around the collar should things not proceed entirely according to plan.
This discussion has been closed.