test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Getting real tired of the constant disconnects

2»

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    Oh, and technically speaking, Akumai is not really timing out, even though the traceroute says they are. When that is happening, the security protocols are engaging and simply denying passage to the data packets attempting to get through. Like closing a queue if too many people have already passed the gate and not reopening it until enough have left the site.

So many people simply cannot wrap their head around the concept that connecting to a web-based service is not a matter of A to B, but rather A to Z and having to go through every letter in between. It doesn't matter how fast one's internet speed is on either end. It's all at the mercy of what lies between. I could be using a fiber connection, and so could the site at the end, but if the path routes through a node or nodes that are served by an ISP that has not brought its infrastructure current, then suddenly the actual speed drops to whatever that ISP allows. And that's just infrastructure. That does not include things like throttling and data blocking like what some security protocols like Akumai's software does.

Maybe oneday, when subspace communication gets cracked, we won't have to worry about any of this because connections can be direct. But we aren't there yet. And the more cyber criminals mess with businesses and financial institutions, the more things like Akumai become necessary and will be more common, so MMOs not dealing with the issue now will likely be dealing with them a little further down the road.

Seems you can't wrap your head around:

"If the security system is basically creating a denial of service situation for active players of the game its supposed to be protecting, maybe the game developers should be giving HIGHER priority to finding an actual solution to a major issue -- and perhaps others should stop defending said Devs lack of visible action on this issue."
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    This may or may not be related, but the game keeps crashing every few days- only today I had it happen 12 hours apart, each time in which I get a message from Dell SuportAssist saying my laptop has no hard drive installed...which I don't recall it needed in the past.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    jcsteele wrote: »
    This may or may not be related, but the game keeps crashing every few days- only today I had it happen 12 hours apart, each time in which I get a message from Dell SuportAssist saying my laptop has no hard drive installed...which I don't recall it needed in the past.

Whether it's an SSD (Solid State Drive); or a mechanical Hard Drive; yes, your PC needs a Hard Drive as it's what stores your software and other file data.

If there's a DELL error that pops up stating it detects no hard drive installed; that's not an STO error. It's an indication that some hardware installed in your system (the hard drive controller on the motherboard, or your hard drive itself) is starting to fail, or may need a drive update.

But if it starts to happen with more regularity, you probably will want to have a tech check out and run some in depth diagnostics because if it is the hard drive - you want to start backing up your essential data on it to a known good hard drive or thumb drive.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • will#4752 will Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    ever since the Heart of the Storm update on console, not the summer event as some people expect, we`ve been hit with constant lag and disconnects. the final straw before i had to say something was being booted off while doing the Horga`hn hunt and when i finally managed to get back on, all progress had been lost. i had to begin again BUT all the ones i`d previously done were missing. there was enough to get all 10 but if i`d disconnected further along i wouldn`t of been able to finish it. regardless in my previous years i`ve never once been booted from risa until this year where it`s happened three times already. we`ve always had a bit of lag during the summer event but this time it`s so bad, i sometimes get thrown around like a rag doll with the rubberbanding. the worrying thing is it`s not limited to risa, it`s everywhere and everything. i rubberband in the battle zones, in missions and social zones. delayed times in map transferring and omg even in menu`s. just to be clear too, the disconnects are not limited to risa either. this is not bloody normal and needs to be fixed, it`s almost all chat talks or should i say complains about. i love risa and look forward to it every year, even with it`s usual laggy bits but this year it`s a nightmare and about as far from fun as you can get. and please if any dev actually cares then let us know your at least aware and hopefully working on it.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    It's the rubberbanding that gets me.

I notice a lot of missions take much longer to load now to. Not overly keen on playing a lot of them again on my Delta as it is.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,242 Community Moderator
    /merged
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    I actually ran a System File Check and updated the hardware via SupprtAssist and while limiting my time ingame I've had no crashes so far, but the lag in load times and graphics persist.
This discussion has been closed.