test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Getting real tired of the constant disconnects

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
It seems like these days 9 out of 10 times you transfer maps, you get disconnected from the servers. What the hell is going on?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I wish I knew.

(This was initially a much longer post.)
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is a possibility that it's some sort of instability in the internet between your internet provider, and THEIR internet provider. Or between you and your provider. In either of those two cases, there's nothing Cryptic can do about it.

I would try troubleshooting potential problems within your home or between you and your provider, especially if you're having issues outside of the game as well.

I will say, while I do see them occasionally, I'm not seeing disconnects as frequently as you are implying.

I have experienced an uptick in disconnects earlier today while the rest of the internet was behaving rather well. Though, as you indicated, mileage may vary.
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is a possibility that it's some sort of instability in the internet between your internet provider, and THEIR internet provider. Or between you and your provider. In either of those two cases, there's nothing Cryptic can do about it.

I would try troubleshooting potential problems within your home or between you and your provider, especially if you're having issues outside of the game as well.

I will say, while I do see them occasionally, I'm not seeing disconnects as frequently as you are implying.

I didn't used to get disconnects this frequently, it's only been over the past couple of months and the rate has skyrocketed, especially with the Risa event.

considering nothing else has changed, I'm highly skeptical that it's anything to do with ISPs, and much more likely a problem with their servers not being able to handle the current player load.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I get the feeling Gearbox don't have the same arrangements with ISPs that Imperfect World did.

Rubberbanding everywhere, server derps in general and I'm on Xbox which is less busy.

Neverwinter does it too.

It's been this way since the new bosses rolled in.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    One way to reduce lag and rubberbanding is to reduce the wait timer on the server, and I suspect they did that. The downside is that any delay between the client and the server, or too many bad packets and resend requests, is likely to cause a timeout and the client connection gets dumped. And if your packets have to travel accross CDN borders (especially entering or exiting Akami) they are quite likely to get delayed.
  • Options
    ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    Yeah map transitions are extremely slow and it is a lottery regarding transferring to the other map without disconnecting. As I'm typing this 5 mins waiting for the splash screen to load me into Fleet Research Lab after transwarping

And disconnected, not transferred to the map on relog, and now transwarp is on cooldown.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    While I was on Risa last night, I had a disconnect. I have not had constant disconnects though.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    While I was on Risa last night, I had a disconnect. I have not had constant disconnects though.

You are lucky then; I get dumped almost four out of five map transfers.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Last night, had another disconnect during the Dance Party. Also, going to report bugs I am seeing during that in the bug reports section using the new format.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

Same here. I am noticing more disconnects that before and nothing has changed with my LAN or ISP.

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    You'd think after 12 years - the engine would never have so many "Map Transfer Failed" messages - but hey Cryptic...
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    You'd think after 12 years - the engine would never have so many "Map Transfer Failed" messages - but hey Cryptic...

I highly doubt that it is the engine, it seems more likely that it is the way their networks settings are set and possibly database issues delaying parts of the information transfer until it times out. Also, there is the CDN issue that has been going on in the US (and probably other parts of the world) for a while where for example things like packets entering or leaving Akami can be subject to relatively large delays which also cause timeouts that lead to getting dumped.

It is not an easy fix, ESO was having extreme problems with a similar issue for a while and only got it fixed in the last few years for instance (and it is starting to rear its ugly head again since the last big update). Fixing them is usually an ongoing problem since they tend to come back (like the ESO example).
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Disconnected again tonight during flying high. I restarted and the status was in progress, but I lost the credit for the 1 completed track so I needed to do 3 more.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Disconnected again tonight during flying high. I restarted and the status was in progress, but I lost the credit for the 1 completed track so I needed to do 3 more.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me, but during the Horga'hn Hunt. I got the favors (I think), but it didn't count for the daily progress, so I had to do Flying High afterwards to get that done.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    To be clear, I'm not getting disconnected during gameplay (haven't had that happen at all). It's only during map transitions/loading screens, and it seems to happen almost every single time nowadays.

Doing episodes to level a new character last night and in some of them you have to map transition 4-5 times in a single mission, and I would get disconnected every single time.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I had not experienced any disconnects recently. Today was the first one, and it was only one. And a bit of rubberbanding on ESD shortly after, but that's it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    To be clear, I'm not getting disconnected during gameplay (haven't had that happen at all). It's only during map transitions/loading screens, and it seems to happen almost every single time nowadays.

Doing episodes to level a new character last night and in some of them you have to map transition 4-5 times in a single mission, and I would get disconnected every single time.

That is mostly what happens to me too, drops during play rather than map changes have been very rare though they have increased somewhat lately, including the weird behavior that was similar to what davefenestrator mentioned.
  • Options
    darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Welcome to the old days we're events caused lag and disconnects. It's back.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    And now I'm getting this BS, can't even log in:
    greo3owcqv12.png

And yea, traceroute shows that akamaiedge address, and the trace/pings are timing out.

Get your TRIBBLE together guys.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    And now I'm getting this BS, can't even log in:
    greo3owcqv12.png

And yea, traceroute shows that akamaiedge address, and the trace/pings are timing out.

Get your TRIBBLE together guys.

Ehm, hadn't maintenance already started when you wrote that?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    vulcanmonkvulcanmonk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    The disconnects are so frequent, the game is almost unplayable. I lost connection 3 times during a TFO. Trying to search the exchange on ESD, disconnected 4x over a 10min period. Something strange is going on.
    Sacca Gavesaka, Fleet Admiral, Commanding
    BSG-Benne Gesserit Consortium
  • Options
    britcanuck#5122 britcanuck Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Obviously the vast majority of players are not to blame for server dropouts, so the 30-minute penalty for leaving a TFO in progress needs to be dropped. Had that happen to me recently.
This discussion has been closed.