test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cosmetic Weapons When?

magusshadowmoonmagusshadowmoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
Can we please have cosmetic/vanity weapons already please! I cant believe we have not gotten this already.

I would love to have all my phasers look like my quantium phaser. I really want to make the Disco rep weapons look and sound like TNG phaser so I can use them with out hating them please! Etc. Etc.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    I'm pretty sure the devs have already rejected this idea.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User

That was my understanding as well.

This would be another possible dilithium sink, but I don't know if it would be worth the cost of writing all the software in the long run.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    We've been asking for it at least as long as I've been on the forums (2014) so: not any time soon.

Devs have rejected it even though we've suggested several different ways to have it make business sense (for example needing to destroy 1 lock box beam to give its visuals to another beam array). I'll keep saying "yes, please" in every new thread that appears but I have no hope of my Space Barbie prayers being answered :(
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    AmbassadorKael is working on an official explanation.

My understanding is that part of it goes all the way back to CBS saying no. And generally when the IP Holder says no... that tends to be the end of it. While they have changed their stance regarding endgame Connies, far as I know their stance on weapon visuals remains the same.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Let's just wait for the actual explanation, but FYI, this topic will soon be included in the FCT.
    GrWzQke.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    You know, if the reason they don't do this is IP holder issues, shouldn't they still be able to give players faction-specific visuals? Like, all federation players can make their energy weapons all look like phasers (of certain types). KDF can do disruptors. Romulans can do plasma. That sort of thing. It's not totally open-ended, but players can still make things fit certain unified visual themes.

While that would sound like a nice compromise there's the issue that technically Federation would have 3 visuals to other faction's 1 (TNG, TOS and DSC), yes I'm aware that TOS themed Romulan and Klingon weapons do exist but they're not that different and large part of the forum will riot if feds aren't intentionally excluded from updates like this so giving them even 1 more option then KDF and Romulans would only cause incurable forum drama for the remaining lifetime of the game.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    You know, if the reason they don't do this is IP holder issues, shouldn't they still be able to give players faction-specific visuals? Like, all federation players can make their energy weapons all look like phasers (of certain types). KDF can do disruptors. Romulans can do plasma. That sort of thing. It's not totally open-ended, but players can still make things fit certain unified visual themes.

While that would sound like a nice compromise there's the issue that technically Federation would have 3 visuals to other faction's 1 (TNG, TOS and DSC), yes I'm aware that TOS themed Romulan and Klingon weapons do exist but they're not that different and large part of the forum will riot if feds aren't intentionally excluded from updates like this so giving them even 1 more option then KDF and Romulans would only cause incurable forum drama for the remaining lifetime of the game.

I don't see a problem here the Federation has 3x or more ships then any of the other factions...

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
    I don't see a problem here the Federation has 3x or more ships then any of the other factions...

To be fair, Star Trek in general is a Fed centric franchise, so naturally the MOST material to work with... is Federation. The only time its not so focused on the Federation is the odd episode dealing with issues from other races like the Klingons or the Ferengi. Star Trek Picard was actually a glimpse at Civilian life in the Federation.

But overwhelmingly, the franchise is focused on the Federation and Starfleet. DS9 was really the only source of massive diversity, while still being mostly Fed Centric.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

To be fair, Star Trek in general is a Fed centric franchise, so naturally the MOST material to work with... is Federation. The only time its not so focused on the Federation is the odd episode dealing with issues from other races like the Klingons or the Ferengi. Star Trek Picard was actually a glimpse at Civilian life in the Federation.

But overwhelmingly, the franchise is focused on the Federation and Starfleet. DS9 was really the only source of massive diversity, while still being mostly Fed Centric.

Also, didn't an infographic a few years show that only ~30% of players had any non-Federation captains? It might have improved since then even if only from players making Klingon and Dominion recruitment alts. (It's a shame too, the Romulan and Klingon story episodes are very good.)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User

Have they also rejected or shown interest in the idea to allow players to disable visuals on one or a few beams for example?

Like, when you have 6 blueish coalition disruptor beams and one greenish beam from the Nausicaan set, can they add a feature that allows us to disable the one green beam?

I remember proposing this in one of the weapon customisation threads somewhere, but as that's already months ago, I don't remember if it was ever shared with Cryptic/answered/turned down.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Have they also rejected or shown interest in the idea to allow players to disable visuals on one or a few beams for example?

Like, when you have 6 blueish coalition disruptor beams and one greenish beam from the Nausicaan set, can they add a feature that allows us to disable the one green beam?

I remember proposing this in one of the weapon customisation threads somewhere, but as that's already months ago, I don't remember if it was ever shared with Cryptic/answered/turned down.

That's a good suggestion that I don't recall seeing before. Hiding the one lone mismatched beam from an event or reputation set would be nice.
    Then how do you know when it's firing?
    GrWzQke.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    If you put all beams on auto-fire, why wouldn't it be firing when you see the other weapons fire?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • magusshadowmoonmagusshadowmoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I dont buy the IP reason. Other wise they would have a problem with using Rom plasama weapons on a Fed ship etc. And we have Fed Capatins flying Rom/Kling ships and the othert way around.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    I find it hard to see why beam color, and even style to some degree, are even an issue in STO since in TOS, the show that started it all, used all three primary colors for the Enterprise's phasers. While they only used green once (and only seen from the ground in A Piece of the Action) they used red and blue beams more or less equally in the series.

The single-color stuff just was not a thing until the movies and TNG, though they briefly showed rotating-frequency phasers as shifting colors as the frequency shifted at one point (as shown in this shot from Memory Alpha):
    dkm0jc1xbjjt.png

Personally, I just consider the various weapon color variants in the same vein, that whatever frequency mix or other technique used to get the alternate effect produces the different color. It even makes a lot more sense than the kind of OCD that led to all phasers being changed to blue in the Remastered version of TOS.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    One of the big reasons given for not being able to change your visuals on weapons that I've always been told has been PVP but I've never accepted that, I mean we have green phasers, orange disruptors etc anyway
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I find it hard to see why beam color, and even style to some degree, are even an issue in STO since in TOS, the show that started it all, used all three primary colors for the Enterprise's phasers. While they only used green once (and only seen from the ground in A Piece of the Action) they used red and blue beams more or less equally in the series.

The single-color stuff just was not a thing until the movies and TNG, though they briefly showed rotating-frequency phasers as shifting colors as the frequency shifted at one point (as shown in this shot from Memory Alpha):

Personally, I just consider the various weapon color variants in the same vein, that whatever frequency mix or other technique used to get the alternate effect produces the different color. It even makes a lot more sense than the kind of OCD that led to all phasers being changed to blue in the Remastered version of TOS.

In addition, Strange New Worlds also has the Enterprise use red phasers when she had blue ones in DSC still.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    In addition, Strange New Worlds also has the Enterprise use red phasers when she had blue ones in DSC still.​​

Of which we have both versions already in game, Blue being the Advanced Phaser Array (standard on the DSC Connie) and Red being the Covert Phaser Array (from the lockbox).

The one thing we're missing is upgradable versions of the Torpedoes that the DSC Connie comes equipped with.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

That wasn't a complaint. The fact that feds have alot more of everything shouldn't be in the way to get more weapons cosmetics than other factions.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    True but there are people who would object to any additional systems if FED players were not intentionally excluded, even if said players account 2/3s of the player base.

Granted they've been less active since the Klingon Civil War arc ended but when that as current content you pretty much count go without a day without them complaining about each and every thing added to FED players (even when there was KDF version added as well) and also insulting FED players (as well as players like myself who play all factions).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It's the Alliance. There are no factions in the game but in name any more, and if it was technically possible the devs would remove them altogether.

Anyone who still pretends there is a faction war going on is just trolling.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Could shoot tribbles out of your torpedo bays to apply foundations on enemy ships. Then soak the tribble in romulan ale to make them combustible for the finishing touch.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I'd make all of my weapons look Tetryon regardless... Love the look of those, lol...

:wink:
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    If only there were Fleet and Reputation Stores and systems in which new projects could be undertaken to unlock new weapons for purchase like, for example, an Andorian Phaser Quad Cannon.

"But that cannon wouldn't be canon so it's not allowed!"

Hey, Deep Space Station K-7 and Sherman's Planet were never shown to exist in a green nebula, either, yet here we are.

I'm just saying it's possible to get such things done. The only reason not to do so is because someone has decided not to, even though there are simple ways with solid in-game reasons to do so. My suspicion is that sometimes "the IP holder said no," is merely an excuse.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Hey folks!

It's true that, once upon a time, CBS asked us to not allow cosmetic changes to weapons. That was waaaay back at the beginning of STO. Unfortunately, because of that request, weapons were built in a different way in STO than powers are built in CO. The way I've had it explained to me is that the FX for a weapon are tied to that weapon pretty specifically, so recolors and such would require a massive overhaul in the code, and changes to each individual weapon. It's not *impossible* (we had to make changes to every single ship in the game to make it possible for everyone to fly them, but there are more weapons then there are ships, I think), but it's not something that's gotten a lot of traction over the years, especially since CBS has never come back and said, "Ok, you can do that now."
    Hey folks!
    ... especially since CBS has never come back and said, "Ok, you can do that now."

Understood, but CBS has no reason to contact Cryptic about this, it is up to Cryptic to ask them.

I doubt they suddenly said "T6 Connie is OK" out of the blue, I expect that someone at Cryptic decided to ask them again and that time they finally said "yes."

This is now an FCT topic. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
This discussion has been closed.