test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Risa, Where All Your Dreams Come True!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
edited August 2022 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Once again, the resort world of Risa opens up its beaches and its activities to visitors from all across the galaxy.

The weather-control engineers have been hard at work, making sure that you get a golden summer sky, and touch-ups bring new color and detail to your favorite bungalows.

In addition, there are a plethora of new rewards that you can earn this year by participating in all of the regularly-scheduled holiday activities!

Come to Risa on all platforms from June 30th at 8am PT to July 30th at 10am PT to get your hands on these new prizes!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11520163-risa,-where-all-your-dreams-come-true!
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    I guess this means the blog with ship stats etc will grace us with its presence tomorrow at the latest.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    I'm getting "Starship UK" vibes...

We're gonna be responsible for the wholesale slaughter of innocent space-faring creatures each and every time we blow up!!
    face-screaming-in-fear_1f631.png
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    No, you take them into pure scientific missions without the need for combat :) This should fix the problem completely.
  • Options
    quinnftw76#3498 quinnftw76 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I know that a return to Day/Night Cycles are impossible now because of certain short-sighted technical decisions. But this is my annual call to make RISA a permanently nighttime environment.
  • Options
    ...or just duplicate the entire Resort map and give us a choice of beaming down to the Day or the Night version.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • Options
    ...or just duplicate the entire Resort map and give us a choice of beaming down to the Day or the Night version.

This idea was already rejected with reasons given in a recent livestream.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    The thing to remember that if there truly was a easy, cheap and fast way to fix an issue like that there wouldn't be no good reason for Cryptic to not implement it, companies don't do anything because they hate you personally but rather more often then not something is harder then people who are on the outside think.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I'm getting "Starship UK" vibes...

We're gonna be responsible for the wholesale slaughter of innocent space-faring creatures each and every time we blow up!!
    face-screaming-in-fear_1f631.png

Honest I suspect this is a case of them joining us by their free will rather then UFP subjugating a known sentient species because they've not filled their hypocrisy quota yet.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Could you please add a designer who has not died years ago for the Risa beachwear division? I mean yeay, saved summer currency again. But come on. Its has become a joke by now.
  • Options
    chernobogxchernobogx Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Could you please add a designer who has not died years ago for the Risa beachwear division? I mean yeay, saved summer currency again. But come on. Its has become a joke by now.

I've been wanting more swimwear for males for years. Females can basically wear neon colored dental floss (pretty much anywhere in the galaxy it seems), but the best the guys get is shiny diapers. But hurray, we get more baseball stuff, again, instead. Maybe we'll get lucky next year.

That complaint aside, the updates to Risa look amazing. The improvements to the lighting and vegetation are stunning.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The funny thing is that there isn't even a baseball themed activity at Risa or anywhere in the game. It's just so random.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    I finally got to see it today! The new palm trees and boardwalk look nice! Thanks for the updates.
  • Options

Is that video available on YouTube or Twitch? Because I'd genuinely like to hear what they had to say on the matter.
  • Options

Is that video available on YouTube or Twitch? Because I'd genuinely like to hear what they had to say on the matter.

It's not currently on YouTube. It should be available on Twitch, but I know it's definitely on the Facebook page.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll look for it on Facebook or Twitch then.

It's not currently on YouTube. It should be available on Twitch, but I know it's definitely on the Facebook page.

• Options
    edited July 2022

According to a recent Ten Forward Weekly (Preview of Risa, available on Facebook), Scot Boyd indicated that he could do just that. Around the 24 minute mark, he says setting the time of day for the map is relatively easy, and he's willing to give a night version a chance, though he'd have to re-visit lighting so we're not surfing in the dark.

https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekOnlineGame/videos/5159206380823905

• Options

According to a recent Ten Forward Weekly (Preview of Risa, available on Facebook), Scot Boyd indicated that he could do just that. Around the 24 minute mark, he says setting the time of day for the map is relatively easy, and he's willing to give a night version a chance, though he'd have to re-visit lighting so we're not surfing in the dark.

No, that's not what he said he could do. He said that he could change the art for the map to represent a single time of day (for example, night time), but that they would not be doing multiple maps to represent different times of day that players could choose from to visit. That explanation is given around the 26 minute mark.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    You are correct. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, he can set the time of day on the main map, but not create multiple Risa Resort maps.

His concern about the race events at night aside, I, for one, would appreciate seeing a night-time Risa, even if it's an off-season mini-event or just a weekend. I doubt they'd do all that work for just a weekend, but it might be a good way to test it with players before committing the summer event to it.

It really underscores, though, the loss of the ability to have day/night cycles. I know it's long gone, and I'm not complaining, just lamenting.

Anyway, back to Risa. I've got some daytime fireworks to catch.

[Edited for clarity]

No, that's not what he said he could do. He said that he could change the art for the map to represent a single time of day (for example, night time), but that they would not be doing multiple maps to represent different times of day that players could choose from to visit. That explanation is given around the 26 minute mark.

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    First, I think it needs to be established what is different about day and night that makes players want one over the other.
    The only thing I can think of are accolades, and some are mutually exclusive, unless they have been altered. One I know of is you have to find pavel at night, and another you have to ask to work out with the klingon in the morning. Unless those time constraints are removed, you cannot do both in the same year.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    First, I think it needs to be established what is different about day and night that makes players want one over the other.
    The only thing I can think of are accolades, and some are mutually exclusive, unless they have been altered. One I know of is you have to find pavel at night, and another you have to ask to work out with the klingon in the morning. Unless those time constraints are removed, you cannot do both in the same year.

The time itself cycles as always, it is just the sun never moves so you cannot see it. Currently the only way to tell if it is night is to look for the fires to see if they are lit, if so, it is night no matter what it looks like, if not then it is day.
  • Options
    redwatchmanredwatchman Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    The event ended early preventing people from finishing it or buying out.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    The event ended early preventing people from finishing it or buying out.

That seems to happen with just about every event, not just Risa. I was there about two hours from its scheduled shutdown selling birds for marks so it couldn't have ended way early (there have been some that ended at least five or six hours early when there is maintenance scheduled for the last day for instance). I have learned the hard way that you cannot depend on the last day of anything longer than weekend events.
  • Options
    I find that events tend to end when maintenance starts rather than their scheduled end.
    If maintenance is over and servers are back online, yet there's still 2 hour of the event scheduled - it's almost always vanished!
This discussion has been closed.