test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

when was the last time there was no event?

will#4752 will Member Posts: 58 Arc User
i was amazed and shocked to find console has no event running after red alert finished on tues. yes we still have the recruit but they always run behind whatever other event we have. as far back as i can remember we`ve had one event follow another sometimes bridged by a red alert but never any gaps. i mean at the minute we don`t even have an announcement for the next event let alone have one lol. still it got me to thinking when was the last time there was a gap? and if there wasn`t then why now?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    nuketfnuketf Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    There used to be 2 - 3 months of nothing, then the community complained that nothing was going on, so now, non-stop events.
    AKA, Beard of borg. Owner of the title "Should have left"
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    We've had an occasional break of a few days on PC. typically from Tuesday to Thursday when it happens.
  • Options
    will#4752 will Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    i`m astounded. we have another red alert for 2 weeks which, and get this, got announced before the one we just had. they announced these dates over a week ago, then immediately gave us an unannounced one week one lmao. and nobody bothered to tell us the difference hahaha. this is how you keep your player base, confuse them and keep em guessing all the while saying nothing lol. keeps us on our toes, sound tactics.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    It has happened once or twice since I started playing where there was a very short gap between two events -- usually a campaign and a seasonal event. But of late, they've taken to *overlapping* events to squeeze more of them in each year. For better or worse. On the one hand, there's always *something* to do, but on the other hand, there's *always* something to do.

People complain either way :) . Seriously, I have seen complaint threads about no event running that week.

The trick is to get over the Fear Of Missing Out and ignore the events you don't "need" to play. Already have enough ship tokens? Skip that 14-day red alert event. A 20-day event that is not part of the event campaign, for a gear set you don't care about? You can safely skip that too.

For the events you do complete, decide whether you really need more unrefined dil before doing any extra days.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    It has happened once or twice since I started playing where there was a very short gap between two events -- usually a campaign and a seasonal event. But of late, they've taken to *overlapping* events to squeeze more of them in each year. For better or worse. On the one hand, there's always *something* to do, but on the other hand, there's *always* something to do.

People complain either way :) . Seriously, I have seen complaint threads about no event running that week.

The trick is to get over the Fear Of Missing Out and ignore the events you don't "need" to play. Already have enough ship tokens? Skip that 14-day red alert event. A 20-day event that is not part of the event campaign, for a gear set you don't care about? You can safely skip that too.

For the events you do complete, decide whether you really need more unrefined dil before doing any extra days.

Yeah, I see people going "Oh there is a event, Cryptic are "forcing" me to do a event simply because there is one"

Nope, you make your own choice. No event is "required" none of the gear that is made available you "have" to have to complete a mission or particpate in TFOs etc. Everyone is a Nice to have or want, not a need.

Analyse yourself if you want the gear or not, or you want the bonus dilithium or not. If you really dont want the gear/bonus dilithium or like it, skip the event. Easy.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    It's unusual these days but I don't mind either way. I either get a break from the in game office work, or I get to leave a little earlier.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I think I have only played a third of the last years events
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    banshirbanshir Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    2013. 2014 was the start of non-stop events.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    reyan01 wrote: »
    foxman00 wrote: »

Yeah, I see people going "Oh there is a event, Cryptic are "forcing" me to do a event simply because there is one"

Nope, you make your own choice. No event is "required" none of the gear that is made available you "have" to have to complete a mission or particpate in TFOs etc. Everyone is a Nice to have or want, not a need.

Analyse yourself if you want the gear or not, or you want the bonus dilithium or not. If you really dont want the gear/bonus dilithium or like it, skip the event. Easy.

Except that's not how FOMO-driven events work. Okay, so they're not 'forcing' anyone to do them, that's true; however the whole point of these events is coerce or funnel players into a specific activity which they don't necessarily like, but feel like they have to put up with, in order to get a limited-time reward (they can also then reference predictably-high engagement numbers as "proof" that players actually like that activity).
    i dont think you can call them events anymore since its more like a daily routine. they have little to offer anymore aside from ships and LBs, so they create busy work for players.

Yep - can't possibly have a week where there's no FOMO pressure on players to log in and do a daily! That would be absolutely catastrophic. Apparently.

Yes, the point of the events is FOMO but that only works if you don't stop, think, and ask yourself if you really care.

Do you need another ship token? I have 11 in my account bank, there will always be more red alerts, and if some "ship token emergency" arrived (somehow?) then I could always spend zen.

For console players, the upcoming Kuumarke set is ground gear where many players hate its visuals, many players avoid ground combat outside of story episodes, and it's not part of the event campaign. Combine those and most players can skip it if they stop and think.

And the event-every-week pace can be useful if you feel like playing the TFOs anyway, you need some marks-of-your-choice, or you want to level some ship traits in the red alert.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Except that's not how FOMO-driven events work. Okay, so they're not 'forcing' anyone to do them, that's true; however the whole point of these events is coerce or funnel players into a specific activity which they don't necessarily like, but feel like they have to put up with, in order to get a limited-time reward

Some silly ground set, some console that does some odd niche thing, or whatever-the-hell-that-is?

What exactly am I supposed to "fear" missing out on?

(disclaimer: I've done very few "events" outside the Summer/Winter/Anniversary, for years now. Almost none of this stuff seemed worth the tedium of doing the same TFO 14 days in a row. I did do last year's meta-campaign, and finally got my hands on the T6 Connie I've wanted forever. But the thought of doing it again this year, for a ship from a list that I don't care about 90%+ of? Meh.)
  • Options
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Except that's not how FOMO-driven events work. Okay, so they're not 'forcing' anyone to do them, that's true; however the whole point of these events is coerce or funnel players into a specific activity which they don't necessarily like, but feel like they have to put up with, in order to get a limited-time reward

Some silly ground set, some console that does some odd niche thing, or whatever-the-hell-that-is?

(disclaimer: I've done very few "events" outside the Summer/Winter/Anniversary, for years now. Almost none of this stuff seemed worth the tedium of doing the same TFO 14 days in a row. I did do last year's meta-campaign, and finally got my hands on the T6 Connie I've wanted forever. But the thought of doing it again this year, for a ship from a list that I don't care about 90%+ of? Meh.)

:thumbsup: that's what I'm saying. If you learn to ignore the events you don't care about, half or more of the events might disappear from your to-do list.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator

You, personally, need not fear missing anything.

However, that doesn't change the fact that this (frankly sleazy) business model clearly works for them otherwise they wouldn't remain committed to it.

And what exactly is "sleazy" about a business model that provides events to play with free rewards for participation to players, who presumably enjoy playing said game?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    FOMO is manipulative, just like pricing items at 19.99 instead of 20.00, buy one get one free, flash sales, etc.

I wouldn't call it "sleazy" though. It's been the way commerce works since commerce was invented. I'm sure Roman street vendors warned you that they had a limited stock of (goods Y from region Z) that might not be replaced for months. STO is a for-profit business not a charity space program, and getting you to log in often is part of the business model.

That said, you can learn to add the .01 in you mind to see the real 20.00, learn that "missing out" isn't something to fear unless you really want the thing, etc. and you should try to do it because this kind of manipulation is everywhere.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    To me FOMO itself is not a really big deal, and trading time for otherwise expensive items is much more doable than spending that all-too-scarce cash to get them. And the event churn keeps things fresher than redoing static missions in pretty much the same order for every character (or at least it does as long as the mix contains new or at least well-shuffled tasks, if they stop making new event tasks and do nothing but recycle old ones that might get old after a while.

On top of that, events have become the way the devs introduce new permanent content, which isn't that different from other games which make an event out of yearly content drops, the difference is mainly that STO does it in little dribbles and dabs thorough the year instead of all at once. And the structure of the events means the new content gets used a lot during the event time, which if anything seems more a way of gaming the third-party rating systems than it is a "sleezy" way to take advantage of the playerbase.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User

You, personally, need not fear missing anything.

However, that doesn't change the fact that this (frankly sleazy) business model clearly works for them otherwise they wouldn't remain committed to it.

And what exactly is "sleazy" about a business model that provides events to play with free rewards for participation to players, who presumably enjoy playing said game?

When limited time events with unique rewards get employed to the extent they do I think it's only natural to get some push back against the (over) use of the model.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    That and the fact you can only complete them in either 2 or 3 weeks MINIMUM because there is a daily cap of ONE token out of 14 or 20 on the whole account.

I'd suggest allowing players to have a higher cap with some "restrictions", like "you can get another token for each character in a different faction".
    This could also help revitalize factions that aren't Fed a bit.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    yea even with a discount in mudd's you are forced to pay extra for the included tech upgrades
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    There should be fewer events. It won't hurt anyone if there isn't an event running for a week or two - but it would give a break to those who want to participate in events because they're not sure whether or not they'll ever use a certain reward. Which few people can probably in all honesty say they can predict with full certainty.

Besides that: continuously promoting one or two missions actually does have a negative impact on those who do wish to play and enjoy the game as well. It's not just a matter of 'hey, but if you don't want to play, no one is forcing you to and you can just go do something else'.
    This constant running of events and herding players towards a selection of missions means that all other queues are played less often. Just in the last hour for example I've queued multiple times for 5 to 7 different missions and every time it still takes between 10 and 15 minutes for any of those missions to start. And it's been like this for a while now.

Now, of course I have no evidence that this is really due to the event or that those missions would have filled up faster if there currently weren't an event running - but I doubt it has no impact whatsoever either. After all, event missions do launch very rapidly, showing there are plenty of people online and playing. It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that at least some of the people playing those event missions would otherwise be playing other queues.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    There should be fewer events. It won't hurt anyone if there isn't an event running for a week or two - but it would give a break to those who want to participate in events because they're not sure whether or not they'll ever use a certain reward. Which few people can probably in all honesty say they can predict with full certainty.

Besides that: continuously promoting one or two missions actually does have a negative impact on those who do wish to play and enjoy the game as well. It's not just a matter of 'hey, but if you don't want to play, no one is forcing you to and you can just go do something else'.
    This constant running of events and herding players towards a selection of missions means that all other queues are played less often. Just in the last hour for example I've queued multiple times for 5 to 7 different missions and every time it still takes between 10 and 15 minutes for any of those missions to start. And it's been like this for a while now.

Now, of course I have no evidence that this is really due to the event or that those missions would have filled up faster if there currently weren't an event running - but I doubt it has no impact whatsoever either. After all, event missions do launch very rapidly, showing there are plenty of people online and playing. It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that at least some of the people playing those event missions would otherwise be playing other queues.

It wouldn't help, especially if you are going for one of the less popular TFOs.

A few years ago Red Alerts were shut down on the same theory, that everyone was queuing up for them at the expense of the other ques (which is why they are only filler events now instead of on an DSE-like rotation). The thing is, after they were gone the other ques did not show a big change in waiting times, at most the top two or three TFOs shaved off a few minutes and the less popular ones were no different.

Even the double-dipping-reward random TFO thing didn't help much, and overall the waiting times actually seemed to get longer in a lot of cases (though still not quite as bad as ESO dungeon wait times). The only sure-fire thing that got any of the TFOs down to quick and reliable starts was when they started the continuous-roll of events with featured TFOs. It seems likely that the entire playerbase logs in every day to do a run of those even if they don't do anything else in the game that day, so the other ques are more or less the same whether there is an event running or not.
This discussion has been closed.