test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ten Forward Weekly 6/8/22

protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,026 Arc User
From: https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/v89x9h/ten_forward_weekly_6822/ Credit to: u/TheSajuukKhar/
  • Kael doesn't know exactly what broke the server yesterday. It was an object DB crash. One of the technical programmers who monitor such things over at Gearbox San Francisco sent out an email that just said "Holodeck is down, I'm investigating". Kael and one of STO's producers were laughing about the email because it didn't tell then what happened.
  • Kael took down notes about Reman Captain infiltrator trait not stacking with BOFF version, and Voyager's view screen being missing during the "Escalation" mission.
  • Kael will ask about being able to replay the tutorial rather then having to make a new character to see the revamps.
  • Kael is pushing for more colors to be unlocked for more item pieces. He recently learned its not as big a deal as he originally thought, but its still a process.
  • Cryptic wants to do the Protostar, but there issues where they have to make sure that Nick is OK with putting they're stuff in a rated T game.
  • Kael will make sure Thomas knows the Borg juggernaut textures are broken.
  • Console has gotten 3 red alert in 6 weeks because it was requested that they move some dates around on console, and if they just moved things around as is there would have been a big blank space no event section, and they wanted to make sure console players had something.
  • Blogs this week were a bit late due to him being in COVID quarantine for a few days, which prevented him from getting to his house to get his computer running.
  • Cryptic is looking at fleet projects as a potential way to help the dil issue, among other things. Not sure about what work has been done on them in the last couple weeks hes been gone, but it has been worked on.
  • Kael will ask about getting more badges added to Mirror Coalition uniform.
  • Consoles haven't gotten the dil vanity shield event because the prices of those shields was calculated based on the PC economy, and it would be unfair to console users to make them pay the same price. They are looking into getting it done though.
  • Next ship sale for the zen store is coming soonTM.
  • Cryptic is working on getting some new hair options soon.
  • One time purchases like the dil for vanity shields isn't a good way to bring the dilex down, and they need something more sustainable then that.
  • No ENT era stuff planned currently.
  • Kael thinks a chat suggested server wide diltihum donation event is an interesting idea.
  • Grudge pet coming soon Kael thinks
  • Kael isn't sure they will do a new battlezone any time soon. Trying to fine tune the Tzenkethi battlezone was a "monstrous" experience so players had fun with it, and they haven't really jumped back on the idea of BZ since.
  • Kael has repeatedly suggested that they remove injuries from the game since they serve no real purpose, but the decision isn't up to him.
  • Cryptic cant just up the alt cap because of server drain issues.
  • Kael will ask about Fed Orions in the next character meeting.
  • Cryptic has the intent to add the new Fed bridges as playable, Kael doesn't know when that will happen.
  • Klingons cant go onto ESD because the NPCs would attack/try to kill you.
  • Playable DSC Andorians is closer then any other playable race people mentioned tonight, but Kael has no exact date.
  • There is a pretty good chance cross faction teaming will come at some point. Cryptic is looking into it right now.
  • Terran arc goes through next anniversary(so two more releases/2-4 missions)
  • Keal has heard about the hull vanishing issue, and Cryptic is looking into it.
  • Kael took down notes on Korfez being bugged, and spawning more Vaadwaur then it should.
  • Kael believes the Shi'kar will completely morph into the new one if you have the old skin on when it get changed.
  • Kael doesn't think they will ever unlock all races/costumes for all factions/races because Cryptic has a number of people who are very protective of canon.
  • Stormfall is coming to console soon, but Kael can't be more specific then that.
  • Jeremy is looking at modifications to the higher tier crafting to make a possible dil sink.
  • Kael will pass along the request to have consumables stack higher then 20.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
«13

Comments

  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Console dilex is just high of half of PC on average. 125k dil per vanity shield, issue solved. Didn't even need an abacus.

    Stormfall seemed to cause a LOT of issues, we can wait.

    "Cryptic is looking into it" seems to be roughly equal to "taken under advisement" in terms of fob offs.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    - Blogs this week were a bit late due to him being in COVID quarantine for a few days, which prevented him from getting to his house to get his computer running.
    What? If he was in quarantine why wasn't he at his house in the first place? And ever heard of laptops?! To be honest we are many, many months past Covid-related issues being an excuse deserving of anything except mockery and eye-rolling.

    - Next ship sale for the zen store is coming soonTM.

    Wow. A game with an overwhelming commitment to FOMO-fueled sales (and selling ships over all else) is having another ship sale. Who would've guessed. :|

    - Kael doesn't know exactly what broke the server yesterday. It was an object DB crash. One of the technical programmers who monitor such things over at Gearbox San Francisco sent out an email that just said "Holodeck is down, I'm investigating". Kael and one of STO's producers were laughing about the email because it didn't tell then what happened.
    Kael finds poor communication funny? Oh the sheer, overwhelming, irony!

    I don't honestly know why he bothers. These Livestreams seem to be little more than repeated replies of:
    "I don't know"
    "Cryptic are looking into it"
    "pass along the request"
    "Coming sooner than you think"
    "Its coming but don't know when"
    "*enter excuse regarding why something can't be done here*"



    Agreed, these things are pretty much worthless. Same stuff every week, just more promises to 'look into' everything with no follow up. I am not sure why he even bothers.

    And yeah, Kael laughing at someone else's poor communication skills is the most insanely hilarious thing I have heard in a long time. Pot, Kettle, Black.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,129 Community Moderator
    edited June 2022
    Guys... can we not start another bashing session. There is information to discuss here.

    I saw the WIP shots of the Shi'kahr model on Facebook. Beautiful work. Makes her look like she'd fit right in with the Wolf 359 fleet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    *Enter Forumites to complain* "Cryptic doesn't communicate with us enough."

    *Cryptic does livestream to impart information, answer questions.*

    *Enter Forumites to complain some more* "I don't care for this information. I don't know why they bother."

    :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    We've never had an issue with the art department.

    The rest however....
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,894 Arc User
    Kael isn't sure they will do a new battlezone any time soon. Trying to fine tune the Tzenkethi battlezone was a "monstrous" experience so players had fun with it, and they haven't really jumped back on the idea of BZ since.

    The problem with the Tzenkethi zone is that progress will be instantly lost if no NPC ships remain to defend a point. Which is something that doesn't happen in all other battlezones. So, to be fair, they could just have used the same mechanics they used for all zones up until the creation of the Tzenkethi zone.

    Maybe, if creating new ones won't be on their schedule for a while, they could do something with the ones currently existing. Like a special mini boss event where you fight Undine in the Voth ground zone for example. Something different and unique that can attract players from all over the game.
    Kael has repeatedly suggested that they remove injuries from the game since they serve no real purpose, but the decision isn't up to him.

    I'd prefer it if they reworked this into something so that it becomes meaningful. Like, creating a mini-mission where you can (emphasis on can, nothing mandatory) walk the hull of your ship to help speed up repairs. This could be a reason to add some cool scenes similar to those in First Contact. Besides giving us more to do with EV suits.

    It would probably only work with a limited number of ships or at least faction-specific ones, but literally anything seems better than just cutting things from the game.

    There is a pretty good chance cross faction teaming will come at some point. Cryptic is looking into it right now.

    This is good news. It's long overdue in my opinion.

    Cross-faction armada's should be the next step, as that system has been neglected since its creation.
    Cryptic is working on getting some new hair options soon.

    Nice. More end-game options is always a good thing. ;)
    Hopefully they'll get around to adding some other tailor options too, like more alien horns or even detached parts.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Guys... can we not start another bashing session. There is information to discuss here.

    I saw the WIP shots of the Shi'kahr model on Facebook. Beautiful work. Makes her look like she'd fit right in with the Wolf 359 fleet.

    and where is this ship being placed? lobi? LB?

    The ship is already in the game. It's an update to the existing skin.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,129 Community Moderator
    No. The Shi'kahr itself is still a launch era model. And it will be a total replacement of the current Shi'kahr model that is already available to all, and thus, free. And I believe the Centaur is also launch era, but looks better with some of the newer hull materials. I could be wrong on the Centaur.

    Just because the ship got a Legendary doesn't mean all variants got updated.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No. The Shi'kahr itself is still a launch era model. And it will be a total replacement of the current Shi'kahr model that is already available to all, and thus, free. And I believe the Centaur is also launch era, but looks better with some of the newer hull materials. I could be wrong on the Centaur.

    Centaur got updated the same time the Excelsior did, if I remember correctly (since the Centaur is essentially an Excelsior kitbash of sorts).
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

    Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    *Enter Forumites to complain* "Cryptic doesn't communicate with us enough."

    *Cryptic does livestream to impart information, answer questions.*

    *Enter Forumites to complain some more* "I don't care for this information. I don't know why they bother."

    :unamused:

    *Enter condescending moderator to hand wave any concern anyone has that doesn't align with his own.*

    Coming out every week to just say the same things isn't passing on information and is a legitimate concern/complaint. We are constantly told something will be 'looked into' and that's the last we hear of it, we should just be happy with that?

    If you weren't so busy brushing aside anyone you personally disagree with, maybe you would understand the actual complaint. Or you can just continue to be dismissive and insulting until you devolve a thread into an argument you can then lock.. I guess that works too.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > - Blogs this week were a bit late due to him being in COVID quarantine for a few days, which prevented him from getting to his house to get his computer running.
    > What? If he was in quarantine why wasn't he at his house in the first place? And ever heard of laptops?! To be honest we are many, many months past Covid-related issues being an excuse deserving of anything except mockery and eye-rolling.
    >
    > - Next ship sale for the zen store is coming soonTM.
    > Wow. A game with an overwhelming commitment to FOMO-fueled sales (and selling ships over all else) is having another ship sale. Who would've guessed. :|
    >

    I imagine he came back from his trip and didn’t quarantine at home to protect his family.

    And the news today is rather boilerplate. I agree there is not much to get excited about. I am happy they are talking about cross-faction teaming. I think that will help a lot of newer players trying KDF.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Guys... can we not start another bashing session. There is information to discuss here.

    I saw the WIP shots of the Shi'kahr model on Facebook. Beautiful work. Makes her look like she'd fit right in with the Wolf 359 fleet.

    and where is this ship being placed? lobi? LB?

    The ship is already in the game. It's an update to the existing skin.

    didnt they revamp the skin when the legendary miranda was placed in the game?
    or better yet...didnt all those skins get a revamp then, that came with the legendary ship?

    No, we got a TOS skin and parts. Shikar was still 2010 mesh/skin.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    *Enter Forumites to complain* "Cryptic doesn't communicate with us enough."

    *Cryptic does livestream to impart information, answer questions.*

    *Enter Forumites to complain some more* "I don't care for this information. I don't know why they bother."

    :unamused:

    *Enter condescending moderator to hand wave any concern anyone has that doesn't align with his own.*

    Coming out every week to just say the same things isn't passing on information and is a legitimate concern/complaint. We are constantly told something will be 'looked into' and that's the last we hear of it, we should just be happy with that?

    If you weren't so busy brushing aside anyone you personally disagree with, maybe you would understand the actual complaint. Or you can just continue to be dismissive and insulting until you devolve a thread into an argument you can then lock.. I guess that works too.

    I condescend to the condescending. I apologize if you feel triggered.

    This was a Q&A Livestream. Participants asked questions. Kael answered to the best of his ability. So, the only information being imparted was what was asked about. If you feel a better job could've been done, then might I suggest you participate yourself next time and ask better questions. :smile:



    *Enter Forumites to complain* "Cryptic doesn't communicate with us enough."

    They Don't

    Maybe they don't. But when they DO, people still complain.

    *Cryptic does livestream to impart information, answer questions.*

    In this case it was just Kael

    And? It usually is "just Kael." What's your point?
    *Enter Forumites to complain some more* "I don't care for this information. I don't know why they bother."

    Because the info being imparted amounts to the same thing:"I don't know", "I'll pass that along", "That's coming sooner than you think but I don't know when" and my favorite, "I doubt they will do that because [Insert BS excuse that doesn't fly because the excuse has already been contradicted by another decision."

    As with above, if you want better responses, participate and ask better questions.
    :unamused:

    :unamused: indeed...

    Verily. :smile:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,519 Arc User
    I looked on Facebook... Didn't see the updated skin y'all are talking about... I might have missed it... Oh, then I rememberd there's an official website now for stuff like this... Oh, it's not there either! So, why not post pics on the official forums? Because it's on facebook? already tried...

    hmmm,
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,612 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    [*] Kael doesn't know exactly what broke the server yesterday. It was an object DB crash. One of the technical programmers who monitor such things over at Gearbox San Francisco sent out an email that just said "Holodeck is down, I'm investigating". Kael and one of STO's producers were laughing about the email because it didn't tell then what happened.

    A lot of the issues lately look like database problems so the crash being DB related is not surprising. Hopefully the problems are just rough spots caused by backend improvements settling in rather than it starting to come apart at the seams with all the new items added lately and cross-faction copies of things.
    [*] Kael will make sure Thomas knows the Borg juggernaut textures are broken.

    The Borg Juggernaut isn't the only thing with that kind of broken texture, all the stations in "Breakout at Rura Penthe" have broken "damaged" textures that look like one of the masks is on top instead of the intended texture (they start out looking fine before the station is damaged) similar to the bad patches on the Jugg, only instead of just patches it is all bad:
    dcz8w80mmovh.jpg
    [*] Kael isn't sure they will do a new battlezone any time soon. Trying to fine tune the Tzenkethi battlezone was a "monstrous" experience so players had fun with it, and they haven't really jumped back on the idea of BZ since.
    [*] One time purchases like the dil for vanity shields isn't a good way to bring the dilex down, and they need something more sustainable then that.

    The battlezones so far seem more like amusement parks than battlezones, they are full of static, discrete "rides" and do not feel anything like realistic tactical situations. Go to a "ride", do it until it ends (with victory turning the segment blue), go to the next, rinse and repeat until the end condition triggers the boss battle. The Dyson and Badlands zones disguise it best because of the alien nature of the zones makes those rides a little more plausible, but something with more subtle, rather than the in-your-face mechanics of the current ones, would be good.

    Using an abbreviated form of emergent storytelling with adaptive events in a battlezone would probably be a popular change from that worn out formula, some games do things like that already (Defiance did an early version of it before they changed hands and lost their way focusing more on lobby content for instance), and they tend to feel more alive.

    With those, instead of everything being an all-or-nothing checkmark on a fixed list to trigger the big boss battle, the parts interact with each other, like NPC units moving across the map going to conflict instead of appearing out of nowhere at each of the "rides", etc., so every cycle is different because random people coming and going doing different things means a different pattern of attacking the battlezone objectives.

    It could be used as a dil sink too if they did it on a quadrant or even server level, by using dil contributions to various efforts as part of the factors that influence the progression of the events in the quadrant (others could be which DSEs are played out, etc.), and it could end with some quadrant boss event or it could be something more subtle having to do with the economy or buffs or whatever.
    [*] Kael doesn't think they will ever unlock all races/costumes for all factions/races because Cryptic has a number of people who are very protective of canon.

    Unfortunately that protection of canon seems to only go as far as uniforms and not always which races are core for the factions. For instance, it is impossible to do a canon-accurate Dominion ship crew in the correct faction since they do not allow Vorta to be made in it and in DS9 all Dominion officers were Vorta (and doing faux-Vorta in other faction generators has its own problems, especially with things like the Gamma recruitment and the recent Legendary Dominion Captain Bundle, not to mention the everyday annoyances of having the wrong transporter SFX and whatnot.

    More hairs and more color choices in general are always welcome, though the crafting thing would have to be very carefully done or people will almost certainly be up in arms about double-dipping (anything crafted is usually done at T2 VR and upgraded with phoenix tokens, so that is a dil sink right there, and the high-level specialty stuff like crafted Omnibeams already take dil as part of their construction).

  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I looked on Facebook... Didn't see the updated skin y'all are talking about... I might have missed it... Oh, then I rememberd there's an official website now for stuff like this... Oh, it's not there either! So, why not post pics on the official forums? Because it's on facebook? already tried...

    hmmm,
    CM

    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,612 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I looked on Facebook... Didn't see the updated skin y'all are talking about... I might have missed it... Oh, then I rememberd there's an official website now for stuff like this... Oh, it's not there either! So, why not post pics on the official forums? Because it's on facebook? already tried...

    hmmm,
    CM


    Oh Barf 🤢

    I guess I will be dumping the ShiKahr as the main ship of one of my Delta Recruits and switching to something else. If I had wanted a TNG style ship for her I would have kitbashed one using the other, more TNG-like, parts that are already in the tailor kit for that ship.

    Why replace the ShiKahr outright instead of just adding it to the already existing styles and leave the original ShiKahr parts intact? Is this going to be the new thing, replacing instead of adding so people's existing ships get wrecked? Disgusting.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    *Enter Forumites to complain* "Cryptic doesn't communicate with us enough."

    They Don't

    Maybe they don't. But when they DO, people still complain.

    WHY do they complain? If Kael would actually pay attention to these forums, he would notice that the complaints are typically consistent about specific things that are not answered or even acknowledged. People have been asking questions that go ignored. They post bug reports in the bug report forum that go ignored for weeks, and when someone asks about it in the livestream, it's "I'll pass it along." WHY does HE have to pass it along, when it's posted where it's supposed to be posted so Cryptic can see it, but they don't even LOOK.

    People complain because they are getting fed up with jumping through the hoops Cryptic has establised, but to no noticable effect.

    It's like I said in that other thread. There is no action on Cryptic's part to find out WHY something is not well received by the players. We could even spell it out with mile-high dayglow letters and they would conveniently avert their eyes and just not see it.

    We see this pattern, and we're tired of it.
    *Cryptic does livestream to impart information, answer questions.*

    In this case it was just Kael

    And? It usually is "just Kael." What's your point?

    The point is half of the questions people ask he can't answer. It's "I don't know", "I'll pass it along", "It's coming but I don't know when". or he gives an excuse for why they won't do something in spite of something that has already been done already contridicting the excuse.

    And when we do have a live stream with actual devs, the topic is predetermined and they don't want to talk about anything else until the end, in which case, it's pretty much the same sort of responses, with the dev actually looking like a deer in the headlights.

    That's my point.
    *Enter Forumites to complain some more* "I don't care for this information. I don't know why they bother."

    Because the info being imparted amounts to the same thing:"I don't know", "I'll pass that along", "That's coming sooner than you think but I don't know when" and my favorite, "I doubt they will do that because [Insert BS excuse that doesn't fly because the excuse has already been contradicted by another decision."

    As with above, if you want better responses, participate and ask better questions.

    Or... Cryptic could actually answer the questions they are asked and address the issues that keep getting passed on to them...

    Wouldn't that be a novel idea?

    Sits, I'm talking about on the livestreams, not here on the forum. And let me make it clear, that I am also talking in response to the comments made about this particular livestream.

    Yeah, ok, devs don't come here and acknowledge many bugs that are reported (it does happen, though, I've seen it). That doesn't mean the reports aren't seen, and they aren't working on them. I understand that can be frustrating to many people, because they don't know whether they're being heard or not. Some folks, though, will go to the livestream and report a bug to Kael. He can immediately acknowledge them and they can then feel better about themselves, because they know that they were heard, and that maybe even something will be done soon. Why does he have to pass it along? Because someone reported it to him, and he doesn't know in that moment whether it's necessarily been reported in the forum or not. Either way, does it really matter? The important thing is that the bug is reported, and in the instance of the livestream the reporter knows they were heard. Still, it's best to report all bugs here in the forum anyway, because it's a better record keeper.

    Yeah, you're right. Half the questions he can't answer, because they're usually about upcoming content, which they don't talk about. When he responds, "I don't know," the man has been moving into his new house, then he went to Star Wars Celebration, then he was on Covid quarantine, so he hadn't had a real chance to get back in the loop with things. When he says, "I'll pass that along," it's in response to the bugs reported to him or suggestions made by livestream participants. When he says, "that's coming soon...," well, that's not an exact quote, but he's talking about stuff that he knows they've already revealed, but not sure when on the calendar it's coming out. Plus, pinning them down to stuff like this is just like nailing Jell-O to a tree anyway, because if something gets delayed for one reason or another the playerbase rages about being lied to, so safer not to commit to a timeframe until it's certain. As for the, "I doubt they'll do that because..." I believe was in response specifically to the opening up races/costumes to all Factions... yeah, you've got a point there. It does fly in the face of everything, when anyone can fly any ship on any faction.

    Yeah, livestreams with certain devs are predetermined. They are there to talk about a particular thing. They might not be prepared to take off topic questions. Sometimes questions are asked about things that particular dev doesn't deal with. This particular livestream, though, was a Q&A that was pretty much open to anything, and Kael did his best to try and answer as many questions as he could.

    As I said, Kael did answer questions he was asked during the livestream. Perhaps, if you'd like different questions answered, you could participate and ask them yourself. No shade intended. Just a friendly suggestion. :smile:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I looked on Facebook... Didn't see the updated skin y'all are talking about... I might have missed it... Oh, then I rememberd there's an official website now for stuff like this... Oh, it's not there either! So, why not post pics on the official forums? Because it's on facebook? already tried...

    hmmm,
    CM


    Oh Barf 🤢

    I guess I will be dumping the ShiKahr as the main ship of one of my Delta Recruits and switching to something else. If I had wanted a TNG style ship for her I would have kitbashed one using the other, more TNG-like, parts that are already in the tailor kit for that ship.

    Why replace the ShiKahr outright instead of just adding it to the already existing styles and leave the original ShiKahr parts intact? Is this going to be the new thing, replacing instead of adding so people's existing ships get wrecked? Disgusting.

    Well, I was rather partial to the original ShiKahr myself. I had hoped it would get a re-mastered skin, but not a complete redesign. Still, this is nice ship. I just wish it wasn't replacing the original ShiKahr.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,894 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @reyan01 said:
    > - Blogs this week were a bit late due to him being in COVID quarantine for a few days, which prevented him from getting to his house to get his computer running.
    > What? If he was in quarantine why wasn't he at his house in the first place? And ever heard of laptops?! To be honest we are many, many months past Covid-related issues being an excuse deserving of anything except mockery and eye-rolling.
    >
    > - Next ship sale for the zen store is coming soonTM.
    > Wow. A game with an overwhelming commitment to FOMO-fueled sales (and selling ships over all else) is having another ship sale. Who would've guessed. :|
    >

    I imagine he came back from his trip and didn’t quarantine at home to protect his family.

    And the news today is rather boilerplate. I agree there is not much to get excited about. I am happy they are talking about cross-faction teaming. I think that will help a lot of newer players trying KDF.

    I'm not sure it would help that much.

    Personally, I don't really care for the KDF faction. The story doesn't really appeal to me and while it can be fun to play as a warrior (or a Gorn scientist for example), the limitations that remain (Doffs, separated fleets that are less active than their FED counterparts) don't help.

    I have around 20 toons, but only one for the KDF (also only 1 Romulan and 1 JH).

    We do have a KDF fleet though, and I would probably be more interested in playing the faction if that fleet can co-operate with our Starfleet one through the Armada's.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,430 Community Moderator
    it doesnt? reports have been widespread about the terran uniforms (hell a lot of them at this rate beside the terran) and the TOS interior, and for some time. with no answers or fixes. hell, the terran one was reported back in what, 2018? 4 years. no progress or fixes. TOS interior? not as long, but still not addressed/fixed.

    frustrating is not even on the radar at this point. and those are but a couple examples. there are many more.

    Well, of course, it doesn't. Just because a particular bug hasn't been publically acknowledged, doesn't mean it has not been noted by the devs or isn't in the pipeline or even currently being looked into. A lack of evidence is not evidence.

    One thing mentioned during this stream, but didn't make it into these "Cliff's notes" is that there are only TWO character artists on STO. That's two artists to create all new playable races, to create all new armors/costumes, to create all new characters, and fix any bugs related to such. Consider that with your expectations.

    And yes, yes, I know the next thing will be, "well, hire more devs!" Seems a simple enough solution to those of us on the outside looking in, but if it really were so simple a thing, I'd imagine they'd have done that by now.



    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be fair, that's not an viable option for everyone. I mean, I know the core playerbase is in the US, but the livestreams generally take place at 12am or 1am in my time zone and its very rare I have the stamina (or, frankly, motivation) to stay up that late for livestreams where questions are, more often than not, met with non-answers.
    And, sadly, there isn't any other method of asking questions (or at least not one where an answer would be forthcoming).

    Fair enough. This conversation has inspired me to try something. Gotta run it up the flag pole first, though. More later, if it comes to anything.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,551 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Sits, I'm talking about on the livestreams, not here on the forum. And let me make it clear, that I am also talking in response to the comments made about this particular livestream.
    >
    > Yeah, ok, devs don't come here and acknowledge many bugs that are reported (it does happen, though, I've seen it). That doesn't mean the reports aren't seen, and they aren't working on them. I understand that can be frustrating to many people, because they don't know whether they're being heard or not. Some folks, though, will go to the livestream and report a bug to Kael. He can immediately acknowledge them and they can then feel better about themselves, because they know that they were heard, and that maybe even something will be done soon. Why does he have to pass it along? Because someone reported it to him, and he doesn't know in that moment whether it's necessarily been reported in the forum or not. Either way, does it really matter? The important thing is that the bug is reported, and in the instance of the livestream the reporter knows they were heard. Still, it's best to report all bugs here in the forum anyway, because it's a better record keeper.
    >
    > Yeah, you're right. Half the questions he can't answer, because they're usually about upcoming content, which they don't talk about. When he responds, "I don't know," the man has been moving into his new house, then he went to Star Wars Celebration, then he was on Covid quarantine, so he hadn't had a real chance to get back in the loop with things. When he says, "I'll pass that along," it's in response to the bugs reported to him or suggestions made by livestream participants. When he says, "that's coming soon...," well, that's not an exact quote, but he's talking about stuff that he knows they've already revealed, but not sure when on the calendar it's coming out. Plus, pinning them down to stuff like this is just like nailing Jell-O to a tree anyway, because if something gets delayed for one reason or another the playerbase rages about being lied to, so safer not to commit to a timeframe until it's certain. As for the, "I doubt they'll do that because..." I believe was in response specifically to the opening up races/costumes to all Factions... yeah, you've got a point there. It does fly in the face of everything, when anyone can fly any ship on any faction.
    >
    > Yeah, livestreams with certain devs are predetermined. They are there to talk about a particular thing. They might not be prepared to take off topic questions. Sometimes questions are asked about things that particular dev doesn't deal with. This particular livestream, though, was a Q&A that was pretty much open to anything, and Kael did his best to try and answer as many questions as he could.
    >
    > As I said, Kael did answer questions he was asked during the livestream. Perhaps, if you'd like different questions answered, you could participate and ask them yourself. No shade intended. Just a friendly suggestion. :smile:

    I have a suggestion: posting a thread in the forums for Ten Forward Weekly sessions from now on where people can ask their questions and the answers are provided there after the livestream is done without violating NDAs even if they are not the answers they want to hear.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    This official forum is no different to others, devs stop wanting to interact due to grouchy (diplomatic term) players.

    Why do you think these guys hide on Twitter, safe zone they can control better than here.

    The devs occasionally stick their heads round the door on the bug forum but I can understand their reticence on this board.

    Reddit is much, much worse. The mods are some of the worst on the entire platform on that sub.

    In any case the vaguery is what gets people rattled, along with the "no, but would you like to buy this ship, only 200 buckaroos worth of keys!"
This discussion has been closed.