test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Forum Pros/Cons Compilation

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    I would of thought with the forum update, to do a straight migration of the old, a revamp of sub-catagories should of been done too. For instance remove the defunct (for a few years) sub-catagory relating to the foundry. It's not needed and those that do post there post in error or necro threads
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    not to push, but any updates on this or are we all just puffing smoke up you know where?
    is this never going to change or what?

thanks!!

Kael is taking everything we provide to those who would implement any changes. As Kael is currently in a real-world move of his household at the moment, we probably won't be hearing any updates on this anytime soon.

eazzie wrote: »
    I would of thought with the forum update, to do a straight migration of the old, a revamp of sub-catagories should of been done too. For instance remove the defunct (for a few years) sub-catagory relating to the foundry. It's not needed and those that do post there post in error or necro threads

We try not to remove anything from the forum, if possible, for legacy reasons.

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    not to push, but any updates on this or are we all just puffing smoke up you know where?
    is this never going to change or what?

thanks!!

With luck by the time Kael can use this we will have provided him with a TON of ammo.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Unless I missed it the mobile version doesnt have a new. Its impossible to tell which threads are old and which have new comments.

Is this about the forums only? What about the new website and all the problems with that? I know its not anywhere near as bad as the forums but its hardly professionally looking and full of missing pages we need.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    "4. Difficult to tell where one post ends and next begins."

Totally this. I'm tending to stick with reddit now because everything is just merging together here. I can't figure out who is saying what to whom.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Is this about the forums only? What about the new website and all the problems with that? I know its not anywhere near as bad as the forums but its hardly professionally looking and full of missing pages we need.

For sake of simplicity, we're trying to limit it to the forums alone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    okjd5ye98pod.jpg

here is an example of a well done forum. a well defined and located New topic button. a subscribe button so you can have the option of being notified of responses to the topic/subforum. Note that topics that have been read go from black font to grey. topics with the newest replies go to the top. Stickies are in their own section at the top.

suxi3w4foj61.jpg

posts are clearly defined, with multi-quote, quote and quick reply options

This forum supports uploading images from the device or from the web. the font controls are more robust, allowing size and color selection without the need for BBcode. the latest post column sows the poster, time and date. oh, and this forum has not changed drastically in about 7 years.. they follow the "it ain't broke, don't fix it philosophy.
    Spock.jpg

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    There is so much wrong with these new forums, fortunately I don't need to add anything.

I think the worst problem is the overall readability with how posts, sigs, quotes, etc are barely separate at all. I also dislike the colossal waste of space on actual monitors.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    Another con is that the screen goes bright white every time you change a page, in a dim room that is like a nuclear flash going off that is disturbing to other people in the room (not to mention fatiguing and even painful after a while to the person at the computer). Not everyone uses the forum only during the day, some do it at night with someone else sleeping in the same room for instance.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    Here is a con for ya. I opened a thread and got 13 notifications right now, I click on one of them and the rest is still there. On the old forum clicking on one and entering the thread would have resolved all those notifications. I really dislike this new forum... alot...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    It seems like I can leave comments but can't start a new topic because I was gonna report a bug
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Here is a con for ya. I opened a thread and got 13 notifications right now, I click on one of them and the rest is still there. On the old forum clicking on one and entering the thread would have resolved all those notifications. I really dislike this new forum... alot...

When you click on the Notifications menu, at the bottom you can Mark All Read.

lianthelia wrote: »
    It seems like I can leave comments but can't start a new topic because I was gonna report a bug

Depending upon how you are accessing the forum:

If through the new website: https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/ , then the New Post button is on the right-hand side above all the Quick Links as a rectangular blue button with a plus and labeled New Post.

If through the old Arc website, then you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and the New Post button is on the right-hand side as a round blue button with a plus, no label.

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User

When you click on the Notifications menu, at the bottom you can Mark All Read.

lianthelia wrote: »

Depending upon how you are accessing the forum:

If through the new website: https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/ , then the New Post button is on the right-hand side above all the Quick Links as a rectangular blue button with a plus and labeled New Post.

If through the old Arc website, then you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and the New Post button is on the right-hand side as a round blue button with a plus, no label.

Yeah thanks for that. However I didn't see that because I didn't scroll all the way down. Didn't had to do that with the older version either. I prefer the old version of the forum but I guess we wont go back on that.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • firebeard#3273 firebeard Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Knowing that Browsers use different rendering engines, it may be worthwhile to include which Browser you are using and your resolution - most websites are written for 1366x768, for speed. Also, whether or not you are using HWAccelleration. Designers must include optimizations for as many Browsers as possible or else the website will display incorrectly.
    "Victory is not determined by whose armies are strongest. It is determined by who is left standing." - Napoléon
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I truly cannot think of a single positive these forums have over the old forum. Today is the first day I've even attempted to use the forums since a few days after the migration. I think others have supplied all the "cons" I have with them as well so no need to dwell on that further.

Just decided that I'd give it an honest try and since I am being honest, I think this will be my last real visit for the foreseeable future. I'll hit the page up to see if I notice any changes but reading the forums now is a literal headache for me so any deep dive style forum use is simply not going to happen.

Which is kinda sad since I visited to old forums daily and looked thru loads of posts and topics. Now, I simply don't bother even looking. Kind of how my game time has been spent of late. Severe event burnout has kept me from playing the game in anything aside from a fleet management capacity for the last few months. I've skipped the last couple of events entirely just to maybe, hopefully, recover so I can be ready to finish off my Event Campaign starting next week. And I have a feeling that after that, it'll be another break from playing.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my $.02 in the hopes that sooner, rather than later, improvements will be made.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    1. There is too much space between lines of text. See, for example, the following screenshot, which was taken in Firefox:

https://i.imgur.com/PCsZzem.png

I was able to fix this problem for myself by adding a custom style sheet for this forum using the extension Stylus, but this doesn't fix it for anyone else.
    .Message.userContent * { margin-bottom: 0px !important; }
    .Message.userContent { margin-bottom: 24px !important; }

2. I can no longer filter by category (or subforum) in the search page. This used to be a feature of the advanced search page. Now, I can only filter by title, author, and date.

3. Announcements (or stickied threads) can overwhelm the regular threads. For example, if you go to "Star Trek Online General Discussion" right now, all the top threads are announcements. You have to scroll quite a bit to see a regular thread. I think announcements and regular threads should be distinguished either by color or separated into two sections by a line or other marker.

https://i.imgur.com/bCwqaN0.png
    https://i.imgur.com/onVxNFr.png
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Con: Post new discussion is ALL the way down the bottom of the page on mobile. I mean it's like they created extra internet space just to put it down there.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Con: In addition to all the other cons above, they didn't even counterbalance it by making it easy to find where to change your avatar - I had to change it through the damn launcher.

Like, you'd think there'd be a link to change it in your profile settings by clicking on the avatar box.
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    did something happen to the forums? looks like they tried to insert the older ones within the new pages, if that makes sense. but i cant adjust color. its grey and white. too bright again.
    Meanwhile, I'm seeing the old Vanilla forums. Weird.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    I'm talking with the guys and Kael right now. And yea... we're getting the look and everything back. Still a few kinks to work out but... my friends... we've come home. ;)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm talking with the guys and Kael right now. And yea... we're getting the look and everything back. Still a few kinks to work out but... my friends... we've come home. ;)
    Huzzah!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    520bc0.gif
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm talking with the guys and Kael right now. And yea... we're getting the look and everything back.

T95a.gif
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.