test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is anyone else having really slow patches the last two weeks? FYI my ISP is CenturyLink

loopdoggloopdogg Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I know there has been gateway problems with CenturyLink in the past. Game play has been fine though just patching that has slowed to a crawl.
Post edited by rattler2 on

Answers

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Not that I am aware of. Could be any number of reasons, ranging from solar activity to something between you and the patch server.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I'm still having the same problem. Patches are only downloading at dial-up speeds. Am I the only one with this problem?
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    My patches have been the same speed as always, though map transfers have been taking longer than normal.

Regardless, good luck and hopefully you get the issue resolved.
  • Options
    Word on the grapevine is that Akami may be at it again, confusing normal MMO traffic with a DDoS attack, and thus throttling speeds going through some nodes between user and STO server.

So to explain, the internet is not like a straight connection from Point A (User) and Point B (Server). There's nodes the User has to go through to reach their destination.
    Its more like a city's streets, which each node being an intersection. Say you're driving down a main street, and you hit a red light.

Akami is acting as if they are controlling the stop lights, and if they detect an "unusually high" level of activity through nodes they are operating in... they will assume hostile intent and slow that node down in order to allow the owner to respond to the perceived attack.

Problem is... they have a hard time seeing the difference between hostile attack activity and normal MMO activity.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    have you tried a simple reboot of your modem? just for giggles?

Yes I did try that, several times.
  • Options
    I would just like to let everyone know that as of the patch last week it would seem they have fixed whatever gateway was slowing down my patching speeds to almost null. It only took them two and a half months, but better late than never I guess. Thank you to everyone who tried to help me with my issue.
  • Options
    Necromancy!
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*

Please check to see that the last post is not over 30 days old before posting.
This discussion has been closed.