test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game is not playable

haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User
This game has just gotten worse over time.

Constant lag, terrible rubber banding.

Items from ships constantly being removed.

Traits constantly being removed.

Ridiculous that we cannot skip cut scenes, requiring us to view them multiple times on multiple toons.

Requiring a purchase to improve a character.

Supported this game for years, started at Beta. This game has turned to junk from a greedy corporation.

Yet, they spend money and time to make a new Arc client and forum and website.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    With the bugs introduced from the latest update I am no longer going to be supporting this game financially.

(Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

I refuse to reward such practice with my hard earned cash
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Every time I think this dev team can't do any worse.. they prove me wrong.

This update has absolutely sucked. The lag has somewhat stabilized.. at least for me, but that's probably just because everyone else got so sick of the bugs that they just logged off.

I went to run some content with my fleet earlier today.. everything was so buggy we just all decided to go play something else instead.

All online games have problems, but this one is an absolute joke.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    You're not "required" to purchase anything to improve a character. The only thing I bought was the Agents of Yesterday pack, because I wanted those TOS-style ships. Everything else I got - everything else - was purchased only by expenditure of my time, which is kind of why I'm playing the game to begin with.

Incidentally, I'm also not experiencing "constant rubber-banding". Have you considered running a traceroute to try to nail down where the lag is occurring?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited May 2022
    jonsills wrote: »
    You're not "required" to purchase anything to improve a character. The only thing I bought was the Agents of Yesterday pack, because I wanted those TOS-style ships. Everything else I got - everything else - was purchased only by expenditure of my time, which is kind of why I'm playing the game to begin with.

Incidentally, I'm also not experiencing "constant rubber-banding". Have you considered running a traceroute to try to nail down where the lag is occurring?

Not sure what times you play.. but it was pretty laggy the day of, and the day after the update. This is fairly normal though, a large portion of the player base ignores the game until there is some actual new content to play then they all swarm back at once.

I have a great connection and almost never have lag in STO, but it was pretty laggy for me for the last couple days. Today though, it was back to normal.. totally smooth. Bugged to all hell.. but smooth.

:lol:
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Well the lag could be due to a lot of players logging in roughly the same time as we just had a content drop. I dunno about your experience but honestly I've not encountered any major bugs since they fixed that map transfer one.
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    I know I'm REALLY LOVING the keybinds on the ground tray for the boffs being greyed out and unusable. Cause having to manually click them from char side trays is awesome and doesn't get you killed at all. Ice that TRIBBLE cake with the AI for them being TRIBBLE and NOT dropping things like health gens when everyone is dying is also what you'd come to expect.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    While only a partial workaround, when you re-setup your ship and character, save it to Loadout Slot 1. It seems that the game is only seeing and loading from loadout 1. That at least allows you to keep one loadout fairly stable
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    While only a partial workaround, when you re-setup your ship and character, save it to Loadout Slot 1. It seems that the game is only seeing and loading from loadout 1. That at least allows you to keep one loadout fairly stable

That would explain why I have rarely been struck by the loadout issue bug that has plagued many people since I save to Loadout Slot 1 and not to any of the others.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    For me, personally, i stopped when cryptic clearly stopped caring about players and shifted gears to *ONLY* predatory monetizations. The only time i dropped money after that was when they did the Borg Lockboxes, as I am a HUGE fan of the Borg and wanted them to see that Borg content=money.

But yeah, since Kael said they weren't going to bother doing major bug fixes in a stream since that didn't make as much money as the game, I lost even more respect for the company. Granted, I know that the devs are "just doing their jobs" and a lot of them love the game, the IP, AND the players but at the end of the day, a lot of bad decisions are being made, a lot of players are upset, and nothing is being done since they don't really have the team to do anything about it. Period.

So all we're getting from here on out, according to the livestream, is lockbox fodder and the occasional story mission. I get it. Cryptic only wants fast and easy money with as little work put in as possible. But when they can't even host an event like the KDF recruitment event without bugs plaguing EVERY SINGLE MISSION, you would think they would put a little more effort into getting things to run smoothly. When you can't even reach an objective without being thrown 10-20 feet away, or when you can't beat a boss because you're stuck in a corpse pose and only capable of sliding away from them... You think they would do something to fix the game. Or, in the very least, make sure what little content they put out, runs smoothly.

How bad does it have to be before even the whales pull out? Given how bad the Star Wars MMO has been, i'm guessing it's a VERY low bar but yeah. If you have a thing that single-handedly keeps your company alive, again, admitted in their livestream, it would be safe to assume that every effort would be placed into keeping it well maintained and the players happy.
    But yeah, since Kael said they weren't going to bother doing major bug fixes in a stream since that didn't make as much money as the game...
    Well, that's a big ol' load of resequenced protein. Go read the patch notes for the past couple of days. Then read the patch notes for tomorrow.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User

We have nailed down where the lag is occurring. From STO. Just like all the times before. As you know lag sometimes only happens in some areas of the game or only with some items which is one of the reasons some people don't get lag while others do.

Its more the bugs and what feels like basic QA being missed that is what brother me the most at the moment.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Here's a couple of trace routes. I haven't had rubberbanding or game engine stalls this bad since I last used my old HDD hard drive back in November of last year and the issue with that drive is it just wasn't fast enough in certain areas of the game it would spike disk to 100%. My SSD has been good since switching, but since Tuesdays patch I've been getting rubberbanding and engine stalls as bad a pre SSD, however the disk is not spiking past a couple %. Memory is going to 59% and CPU below 30%.

I will say I am using a different ISP as I'm at my Dad's house for the long term and much further away from the router where on Map changes especially queuing for RTFO's its 70/30 chance of server time out and being disconnected. Something at my own address was rarer than an Epic Phoenix token.

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 12 ms 13 ms 11 ms exe2-core-2a-xe-033-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.156.17]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms eislou2-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.59.130]
    6 24 ms 21 ms 19 ms akamai.prolexic.com [195.66.224.31]
    7 24 ms 15 ms 20 ms po110.bs-a.sech-lon2.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.60.192]
    8 17 ms 16 ms 15 ms a72-52-1-189.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.189]
    9 17 ms 16 ms 19 ms ae120.access-a.sech-lon2.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.60.197]
    10 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms a72-52-63-6.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.63.6]
    11 110 ms 110 ms 108 ms a209-200-171-102.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.171.102]
    12 124 ms 114 ms 114 ms 198.49.243.237
    13 121 ms 110 ms 108 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\doyle>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 29 ms 12 ms 11 ms exe2-core-2a-xe-033-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.156.17]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 16 ms 21 ms 33 ms eislou2-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.59.130]
    6 25 ms 18 ms 19 ms akamai.prolexic.com [195.66.224.31]
    7 16 ms 16 ms 16 ms po110.bs-a.sech-lon2.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.60.192]
    8 17 ms 20 ms 18 ms a72-52-1-189.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.189]
    9 18 ms 19 ms 18 ms ae120.access-a.sech-lon2.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.60.197]
    10 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms a72-52-63-6.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.63.6]
    11 109 ms 113 ms 109 ms a209-200-171-102.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [209.200.171.102]
    12 128 ms 113 ms 109 ms 198.49.243.237
    13 110 ms 108 ms 109 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • firebeard#3273 firebeard Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I'm going chalk this up to DRM. Let's not forget that Gearbox is a wholly owned subsidiary of Embracer Group, who implement some of the most aggressive, invasive and persistent DRM. I say this because both my wife and I were effectively Lagg-free until we both updated to the new Client(s). Furthermore, our 'tracerts' return under 33ms across all Hops.

I did notice the address: .prolexic. which is the company who develops the DRM for THQ Nordic ..
    "Victory is not determined by whose armies are strongest. It is determined by who is left standing." - Napoléon
  • orinllhausorinllhaus Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Yea, the rubber banding is so bad at this point. Makes the game very unplayable. Dev stream a few days ago said they "fixed" it, which was funny seeing their stream even showing it.

Don't know what's changed, but this is one of those high priority items. With my work, if I had a customer keep needing to resend material because I lost it on my end... I'd have some really annoyed customers, demanding I fix it, possible breach of SLAs. Packet latency/rubber banding in the game is essentially that, you're dropping customer packets forcing resends to correct your predictive algorithms.

Please put some serious attention into this.
  • misterskimisterski Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    orinllhaus wrote: »
    Yea, the rubber banding is so bad at this point. Makes the game very unplayable. Dev stream a few days ago said they "fixed" it, which was funny seeing their stream even showing it.

Don't know what's changed, but this is one of those high priority items. With my work, if I had a customer keep needing to resend material because I lost it on my end... I'd have some really annoyed customers, demanding I fix it, possible breach of SLAs. Packet latency/rubber banding in the game is essentially that, you're dropping customer packets forcing resends to correct your predictive algorithms.

Please put some serious attention into this.

How do you know it's a problem on their end, though? It could be caused by any of the hops in the route between you and the game servers. It's possible the problem is out of their hands.
    Akamai Technologies again, hey? Yeah, it's a popular antiviral, with the unfortunate property of treating MMO traffic as if it's a DDoS attack and slowing it down. The ISP on Cryptic's end used that a while back; we all got the banding then. If that's at their ISP again, then there's something they can do, which mostly is complain to their ISP about it. If it's the next node in sequence, though, then they're stuck too.

Anything to be done about that, Kael?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • axel#7652 axel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Lagging and Rubber banding are no where as bad as they used to be. The Galactic Red Alert Mission used to real ramp those issues up. Lately it's not been so bad. A few issues with the introduction of "Red Shift', but still not bad.

Don't buy that TRIBBLE that it's your rig. When I complained about it years ago,they tried to run me around with that. Odd that I did nothing and after a few patches 'my rig fixed itself'.

One thing that I still use that I found that helped with many connection type issues is using a VPN. If one location starts to get buggy, then switch to another.

Server Time Outs is another issue. That's just annoying and as far as I know, didn't happen until Cryptic changed servers to save money. Usually, you get what you pay for.
  • live8evillive8evil Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    May 13th patch did absolutely nothing, same issues as before: lag + ship equipment and traits messed up. Workaround? Enough of these, please fix this bug already and don't make it worse with every update TY.
    edited May 2022
    live8evil wrote: »
    May 13th patch did absolutely nothing, same issues as before: lag + ship equipment and traits messed up. Workaround? Enough of these, please fix this bug already and don't make it worse with every update TY.

I am guessing the trait/loadout bug is a very complicated one, since it fixed it for me after the patch. It only seems to effect some players, while others are fine.

I did have to go back through all my characters and fix some stuff and re-save the load outs, but it's all working now. The biggest issue I see with loadouts is consumables, slotting those will completely break the load out. The work around I found was slot your consumables in your ship devices and then discard any remaining ones from your inventory as well as your bank. Save you loadout in both sector space as well as zone space (like around ESD) just to make sure.

As for the Lag, can't comment there because aside from an occasional little spike, I am not seeing it anymore. I did the first couple of days after the patch, but today it's been totally fine.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    I am in Glasgow and the rubber banding is somehwat of a problem.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    The lag this week is insane its like it was over year ago when they had us trace like crazy. In the end I think it is the game itself which is responsible because eventually they fixed it. There is no telling what old TRIBBLE they patched back into the game...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Well, that's a big ol' load of resequenced protein. Go read the patch notes for the past couple of days. Then read the patch notes for tomorrow.

Except that it's not because he DID say it in a live stream. And there is a BIG difference between Major bug fixes and them fixing a recurring bug that comes up two to five times a year. Patch notes are great and all but this game has way more issues that aren't being resolved. Minimal basic maintenance to keep something running and taking a break from adding new things to go back and fix numerous underlying issues can often sound alike but aren't.

Regardless of what you like to order from the replicators.

And, as others have stated, patch notes don't mean a thing if people are still having that bug afterward. Patch notes only tell you what they WANT to fix. The bugs that remain after a patch don't always seem to agree with that.
  • vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    you could skip cutscences when you press escape

but i agree the constant spilling of devices from my ship into my inventory is incredibly super annoying, i wouldn't mind if cryptic immediately stop anything they are going, borrow a massive credit from the bank, hire NASA, CIA, Google, Bill Gates and focus the entirety of their resources fixing this particular problem, yes i think its worth it.
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    My experience has been that since the event patch, playing this game has become an annoyance to say the least. Before the event patch my game play experience was the rare SNR maybe some lag but nothing as bad as it is now.

Today alone in one mission not only was there lag but the rubber banding was to the point where my character was bouncing all over the map and then the inevitable crash from a SNR which not only happened once but four times.

I also tested with another online game (don’t know if I can say the game in case I violate some forum rule) it’s in the survival zombie horror genre and the developers headquarters is in Croatia. That game is much harder on my pc than STO (just to load into the game takes two to three minutes for me) but no rubber banding, no SNR (save once a month ago) and barely any lag. I know the problems with sto isn’t from my end, all these problems started for me with the event patch.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Akamai Technologies again, hey? Yeah, it's a popular antiviral, with the unfortunate property of treating MMO traffic as if it's a DDoS attack and slowing it down. The ISP on Cryptic's end used that a while back; we all got the banding then. If that's at their ISP again, then there's something they can do, which mostly is complain to their ISP about it. If it's the next node in sequence, though, then they're stuck too.

Anything to be done about that, Kael?
    Not sure why you are blaming Akamai there? While not brilliant those numbers are well in acceptable limits and shouldn’t be causing any lag or rubber banding. There is nothing for Kael to do there as those numbers are good enough. As much as I dislike Akamai its not fair to blame them for this.

The problem was server wide from the servers. Taken from Ten Forward Weekly

• “Server instability and rubber banding issues from the content drop was due to a partition issue, and should be mostly fixed by now. If you're still having issues contact support.”
  • haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    vanhyo wrote: »
    you could skip cutscences when you press escape

but i agree the constant spilling of devices from my ship into my inventory is incredibly super annoying, i wouldn't mind if cryptic immediately stop anything they are going, borrow a massive credit from the bank, hire NASA, CIA, Google, Bill Gates and focus the entirety of their resources fixing this particular problem, yes i think its worth it.

Does not work
This discussion has been closed.