test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A nod to the California Class from Lower Decks...

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
Thomas Marrone @ Mission Chicago Retweeted
0zxlclk.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    How I think it should be released: C-Store with 3 variants (Eng focused with yellow markings, science focused with blue markings, and tactical focused with red markings) and an optional 3-pack bundle

How I expect it to be released: R&D Promo box

If they surprise us all and put it in the C-Store I'll get it day one, and I'll also make an account for my oldest son and buy it for him too, Lower Decks is the only Trek I've gotten him to watch so far and the California Class might get him interested in STO. If it's a Promo ship though there's no way I'm spending that kind of money just for the chance that it might get him interested in a game I play.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    How I think it should be released: C-Store with 3 variants (Eng focused with yellow markings, science focused with blue markings, and tactical focused with red markings) and an optional 3-pack bundle

How I expect it to be released: R&D Promo box

/sigh Sad but true
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    So the big news was just another ship to buy? I suppose that would be par for course. Anyone have any other info from Chicago?
    edited April 2022
    Here is something: Apparently the new episode will have the same voice actors and be on Mirror Pahvo.

There will be a new, new Fed tutorial with new Borg and Janeway.

And it will drop next month (May 10).

https://www.dailystartreknews.com/read/star-trek-online-is-set-to-infiltrate-the-mirror-universe-in-stormfall-starring-kate-mulgrew-and-mary-wiseman
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/tzbkun/star_trek_mission_chicago_sto_panel_wrapup/

Here is a summary of the panel from Reddit user “JRTD753.” I didn’t see anything interesting in it, but you might:

u/JRTD753 avatarJRTD753

Star Trek: Mission Chicago STO panel wrap-up.
    I arrived five minutes before the panel started as the Lyft driver didn't know the way. But it worked out! As I entered I actually headed up with Ambassador Kael himself on the escalator. I intorduced myself and we talked how enjoyed Chicago so far, asked me about living here, and talked Ten Forward. Then on with the show.

The panel was Kael, Amy (Kate Mulgrew's social media manager), Noah Averbach-Katz, and Thomas.

They opened with the Stormfall trailer.

Janeway is back. As is Noah. He'll play an Andorian who is part of the Terran rebellion. (I think I heard that last part right. There was a group behind me discussing if they wanted to stay and I couldn't hear Noah at this part).

The tutorial is revamped, and will now include Janeway providing voiceover and parts. They showed Captain Taggart getting assimilated like from First Contact.

Noah named his Andorian character. It is a mix of being named after his mom (who I think was in the crowd), and the first name given to him from the random character generator when he started playing STO. He hasn't been given the script for his voiceover yet, but he's super excited. He really loves that he can focus on just voice over work and not about standing on a mark or where the camera is. He hopes the character can be a bad guy in a world of bad-guys. Kael said that that is the great thing about the Mirror Universe--they can think through how these people grow up and live. And it really makes the writers think about what a good person in the Terran Empire would be like.

To that point Thomas talked about how the big inspirations for Mirror episodes have been Enterprise and DS9. This new mission is going to be a raid that takes both of those things and runs with them. In particular you're going to see how the Cardassians and the Andorians deal with the Mirror universe and the Terrans.

Noah chimed in and said, "More people for me to betray!" which got a laugh.

Amy said that one of the things they love is referring to Captains as Captains, even if they become Admirals. She said that they even think about that, and mention that when talking about Janeway.

Everyone was super excited when Amy brought Kate into STO--she started by reaching out to Kael and Thomas, who brought in others. Kael said that when Kate Mulgrew came in to record, they were scared because they had a ton of things to do--the tutorial, the Delta missions, and the two new missions. They were afraid she wouldn't want to do so much, and they'd run out of time. But she stayed and was a total pro, even when people called her "ma'am".

Amy loves how the game goes into designs for real people, going as far as saying Tilly and Kate looked badass.

Noah streams the game, and loves the help and comments he gets, especially since he's new to the game. He did not see the Doctor Cooper twist coming as he loved Cooper and felt betrayed.

Noah loves walking through the environments. He said Disco bridge is perfect as is DS9. He said he originally wanted to camp out.

Kael took this opportunity to mention he is aware of the person who protested on DS9 wanting Changelings. Noah said, "That tracks for the fanbase."

They discussed ships becoming canon. Thomas thanked the entire team.

They showed the new mirror ships. They said the ships were all based on some sort of canon or previously existing ship. They talked Warship Voyager and that episode being the inspiration for Mirror Voyager. They talked how Sisko gave the Terran Rebels plans for The Defiant. Kael didn't know if that was nice. Amy chimed in and said, "It's Sisko. He can live with it."

They remastered Assault on Terek Nor to have new visuals in keeping with the new DS9. The Leeta final boss fight has been changed to something else. I missed the title, so if someone else was there and heard it, I'd appreciate it.

Noah talked about a short film he's working on with Anthony Rapp. It will start filming in May. It is based on Type 1 diabetes and the struggle to get insulin.

Then there was Q&A

Someone asked about evil mirror us. There will be more of that. The next episode is called Blue Shift and you will see "a great deal" of yourself.

A follow up asked about episodes where we play other people, like Quark, the war criminal, or Mirror you. Kael joked and said, "Oh no /sto Reddit gets upset at this sometimes?" and pulled down his mask to show a shocked face as a joke. He said he understood the complaints, but as such it's a cool thing to do, that they don't want to overuse. Thomas agreed and said it gets them out of the box and has some cool technical challenges.

Someone asked if there will be a Pakled ship based on Lower Decks. The difficulty will be in integrating multiple parts and them making those different parts customizable in the tailor. They are figuring out how to do it, but it is a huge lift.

Someone asked if the Whale Probe will ever make an appearance. Kael says it is something they talk about probably more than any adult should. He also said the new Picard mention of Whale Probes made him laugh.

They showed a new video which included the option to bring pets on the bridge, and the California class from Lower Decks.

That was it. Then I talked to a couple of members here from the Reddit community, and Kael heard us. But I'm saving that for another post...
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    All the doom and gloom about it perhaps being in a "promo box" goes against what they've done with the Lower Decks stuff so far. They released the Parliament Class into the Infinity Box, and the Traits and Gear into the Lobi Store.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Everybody pretend we're not interested. That way it WON'T be a promo box.

If people would stop soiling their pantaloons at every ship announcement we'd have more c-store ships.

We have to condition THEM, not the other way around.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    All the doom and gloom about it perhaps being in a "promo box" goes against what they've done with the Lower Decks stuff so far.

Considering the California-class is the "starring ship" of Lower Decks, it actually makes sense that they make it really hard to get. Which is likely what CBS will tell them to do.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    All the doom and gloom about it perhaps being in a "promo box" goes against what they've done with the Lower Decks stuff so far.

Considering the California-class is the "starring ship" of Lower Decks, it actually makes sense that they make it really hard to get. Which is likely what CBS will tell them to do.

On the other hand the Callies are suppose to be bottom rung ships and not really that uncommon. Also I've heard of just one ship (type) being a lockbox/promo ship by CBS mandate and that was the Connie, everything else been Cryptic or PWE marketing division (and now probably Gearbox marketing division).
    edited April 2022
    All the doom and gloom about it perhaps being in a "promo box" goes against what they've done with the Lower Decks stuff so far. They released the Parliament Class into the Infinity Box, and the Traits and Gear into the Lobi Store.

The Parliament isn't as popular as the California class since the Cerritos is the hero ship, so it went into a Lockbox. Traits and gear always go into either a lockbox or the Lobi store, with Lobi being the more premium option since they are bound to character that way.

As the hero ship of Lower Decks the California Class is pretty much guaranteed to be in a promo box, if there was any realistic chance of it being C-Store then that's how the Parliament class would have been released. I really wish congress would ban loot box mechanics ...
    joshmaul wrote: »
    Which is likely what CBS will tell them to do.

They've said on the weekly livestream that CBS doesn't tell them how to release something. It's their own decision based on multiple factors, with one of the factors being how popular they think something will be (higher popularity means higher cost).
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Honestly I don't know how the Cali will be released. But I'm not going to rant and rave about possibilities. IMO she has an equal chance of being C-Store as she does being Lockbox or Promo. Hell... there's even a slim chance she'll be a seasonal event ship.

We just don't know.

And before someone slams me to say "yes we do because reasons"... please don't because the truth is we don't know. Until they actually announce ANYTHING, it is all speculation. And going all doom and gloom over how a ship is POSSIBLY going to be released doesn't really help anyone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I think the California Class will be the Summer Event Ship... maybe...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    I heard something about new bridges

For new content only at this time, there are currently no plans to make them usable by players due to the amount of work involved.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Looks like they had in one video a wipe of new bridges we are getting
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    But will the California-class explode during warp activation, like the trailer?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Looks like they had in one video a wipe of new bridges we are getting

A new bridge is appearing in the remastered 2409 Fed tutorial, but they've stated there are no plans to give it to players at this time.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2022
    They said the same thing with the remastered Bridge appeared for Klingons in Tutorial update, then later opened it up for Ship Interiors. If I recall correctly.

So perhaps this brings a little hope.
    0zxlclk.png
    strathkin wrote: »
    They said the same thing with the remastered Bridge appeared for Klingons in Tutorial update, then later opened it up for Ship Interiors. If I recall correctly.

So perhaps this brings a little hope.

True IIRC it was because of the interest shown by players they did the work to make it playable, so if enough interest is shown it's possible we'll get this bridge too.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    It would be very nice, if we got that yes!
    0zxlclk.png
  • darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    The USS discovery lockbox and the La Sirena promo pack starship. So it is safe to say that USS Cerritos will follow the same line.
    darthorici wrote: »
    The USS discovery lockbox and the La Sirena promo pack starship. So it is safe to say that USS Cerritos will follow the same line.

Summer Event you all forgetting the Summer Event.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.

Holiday event ships usually aren't from a playable faction, so I doubt it. They also stated on the livestream that the Eisenberg was a one time exception to the rule.
    eaY7Xxu.png

Holiday event ships usually aren't from a playable faction, so I doubt it. They also stated on the livestream that the Eisenberg was a one time exception to the rule.

I think the exeption to the rule started when you could fly all ships with all factions...

I think the exeption to the rule started when you could fly all ships with all factions...

They made it pretty clear on one of the Livestreams that the Eisenberg was the only time they planned on using a Federation ship for a holiday event reward.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User

They made it pretty clear on one of the Livestreams that the Eisenberg was the only time they planned on using a Federation ship for a holiday event reward.
    Pity - it would make for an outstanding opportunity for the Sons of None to put on a concert on Risa, featuring their cover of the ancient Earth classic California Dreamin'.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > They made it pretty clear on one of the Livestreams that the Eisenberg was the only time they planned on using a Federation ship for a holiday event reward.

Planned at the time of that stream, plans can change we all know this, as much as we know that the reason some ships are lockbox or promo isn't to be mean.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    As the hero ship of Lower Decks the California Class is pretty much guaranteed to be in a promo box, if there was any realistic chance of it being C-Store then that's how the Parliament class would have been released. I really wish congress would ban loot box mechanics ...
    I think we'll see two releases for the California class: first as a Promo ship, and then later as a legendary bundle with the usual tacked on fluff that no one really wants (level boost, single character unlocks of the STLD weapons and uniforms, etc.) It's the headlining ship of a show, there's no way it doesn't eventually get a legendary version.
  • moe#1896 moe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Being brand new to STO, I'm glad this ship will be introduced to the game.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    moe#1896 wrote: »
    Being brand new to STO, I'm glad this ship will be introduced to the game.

you won't be when you realize it'll be in a gambling box with a 0.1% drop rate.
This discussion has been closed.