test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

windows 10

jameshejameshe Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited April 2022 in Federation Discussion
hi will sto work with windows 10 when it is larnch ?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hello jameshe.

So far, there's no indication that it won't. Though there might be a few startup issues the development team couldn't prepare for. But I'll bet it would get fixed quickly.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Best thing to do is wait tbh. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to anyone on win7 or 8.1.

So if your worried about compatibility with anything not just STO then it's best to wait upto 6 months after general release to make sure all companies have done what they need to do to get things running smoothly.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited May 2015
    I'll be upgrading from Win7 SP1 to Win10 this summer... Hopefully I'll be able to give some thoughts or feedback or whatever, about STO on Win 10...

Can't wait... :)
  • Options
    viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes sto runs on windows 10, i'm currently using the tech preview and haven't had any prob's running sto so far.
  • Options
    warfrogdudewarfrogdude Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jameshe wrote: »

Yes I have Windows 10 Home insider preview build 10074 as of this week.
    STO run's great on it.

You will be good to go.
    Also if you have windows 7 or 8.1 windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    +1 for running STO on the tech preview.

The only program I've come across that doesn't work on 10 so far is Oblytile.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jameshe wrote: »

I have STO running on 2 laptops running Windows 10 Tech Preview - one through Arc and one through Steam.

Both are working fine.

The only issues I have had are Windows 10 issues to do with graphics card drivers but I usually just have to re-install the Windows 8.1 drivers again, but this happens every now and then after some Windows updates.

On my older laptop I had to start STO in safe mode and change the DirectX to be version 9 instead of auto to ensure it worked, but that was the one issue I have had.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    windows 10? so, did they just decide to skip windows 9?

havent heard much on it, hope its not going to be like windows 8 in the way it works. i have win7, but might upgrade if it looks good.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    if windows 10 is the next step up from 7, then that helps, but i was looking at the directx 12 stuff coming, some of which really helps gamers out, especially in regards to the nividia and ati dual link up, making it possible to run of each on the same rig and the software limitations being lifted adding a significant increase to game perforamce where as before its what we got now.

thats all the general info i got on it a few months ago. im still cautious about it and wont buy it for a year out on the shelf at least when the price comes down a bit.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tenkari wrote: »
    windows 10? so, did they just decide to skip windows 9?

havent heard much on it, hope its not going to be like windows 8 in the way it works. i have win7, but might upgrade if it looks good.

Just checked and it might be due to coding issues. Some programs might search for Windows 9 to determine which version to run so people would have the Windows 95 or 98 version running instead of the Windows 9 version. The other reason is that Microsoft thinks the next version is so good that they skip Windows 9.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd wait as well. It's running fine on my Win 7 box. Win 10 will be a "free" upgrade for those running 7 thru 8.1. After that, I'm guessing your operating system will become a "service".

I'll be damned if I'm renting an OS. Hang onto those Windows 7 installation discs folks.

Now that I think of it, how well does STO run on Ubuntu?
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There's nothing stopping you from making a Win 10 bootable DVD or flash drive.

Apple's been doing the free OS upgrades for a while.

Linux users need to lose the Microsoft hate. Satya Nadella isn't Steve Ballmer.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Just checked and it might be due to coding issues. Some programs might search for Windows 9 to determine which version to run so people would have the Windows 95 or 98 version running instead of the Windows 9 version. The other reason is that Microsoft thinks the next version is so good that they skip Windows 9.

It is most likely this. A lot of industries are just full of ancient software kludged into modern environments. That stuff doesn't fly in the home software business, but it's all over the place in businesses from retail to insurance to hospitals to power plants.

Anyway, after I read the article about proprietary commercial software reading Windows 9 as Windows 9x, I actually tried a hack on a Windows 7 system and changed the string that supposedly caused the problem to "Windows 9 Professional". Sure enough, it caused the installer for an insurance comparison rating program one of my IT clients uses to place its desktop shortcut in c:\windows\desktop instead of c:\users\public\desktop.

That particular program requires a registry hack to run on Windows XP, and multiple registry hacks to run on windows 7, and multiple registry hacks and a DLL injection exploit to run on windows 8. And that's the most up to date version with a build date in December 2014.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    quintaris wrote: »
    Linux users need to lose the Microsoft hate. Satya Nadella isn't Steve Ballmer.

...and Windows users need to stop painting Linux users with a broad brush. My Linux use was a hobby, not a political statement.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    justinpicardjustinpicard Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My sto won't load past the startup title on my graded laptop......
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    Does STO have Administrator privalige?
  • Options
    mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I always thought they decided to skip 9 because, since 7 popularized the idea that only odd numbered windows are good, they realized they didn't have any way of making this one better than 8 so they figured they would let us know up-front that it would be a flop by going straight to the next even number.
  • Options
    jameshejameshe Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    hi there just wanted to know if STO will run on a i9 12th gen & DDR5 on windows 10 :)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.