test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NEW Starship Trait: Scientific Bulwark

dannon#6463 dannon Member Posts: 21 Arc User
Attack pattern Beta does NOT trigger the new starship trait, Scientific Bulwark. The STO website said both Omega and Beta would trigger it; Omega does, Beta does not. It's also nearly impossible to achieve 5 stacks, let alone maintain; lucky if you can somewhat maintain 2 (maybe 3) stacks at any given point. Honestly, trait description should be redone with the description: 3 stacks of Bulwark are achievable.

Comments

• anubis77canubis77c Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Attack pattern Beta does NOT trigger the new starship trait, Scientific Bulwark. The STO website said both Omega and Beta would trigger it; Omega does, Beta does not. It's also nearly impossible to achieve 5 stacks, let alone maintain; lucky if you can somewhat maintain 2 (maybe 3) stacks at any given point. Honestly, trait description should be redone with the description: 3 stacks of Bulwark are achievable.

Why would Beta trigger this trait? Omega and Delta both give damage resistance, but Beta does not, therefore Beta should not be triggering this trait. That seems like the correct behavior.

Also, you could easily get all 5 stacks of this trait indefinitely by cycling Aux2Damp or Aux2Sif. These abilities can activate every 10 seconds.
    PvP Guides and Build Help Videos

Co-Founder of OrganizedPvP https://discord.gg/Uf2ywQvfsg
    -STO- Community Fleet Officer & Build Advisor (21,000 characters, 3800+ unique players active on discord)
    Build Curator for STOBUILDS
  • dannon#6463 dannon Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    anubis77c wrote: »

Why would Beta trigger this trait? Omega and Delta both give damage resistance, but Beta does not, therefore Beta should not be triggering this trait. That seems like the correct behavior.

Also, you could easily get all 5 stacks of this trait indefinitely by cycling Aux2Damp or Aux2Sif. These abilities can activate every 10 seconds.

Great question! You should ask Cryptic about Beta, not me. Read the information they send out:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11513573

Starship Trait – Scientific Bulwark
    Activating any Bridge Officer Ability which increases Damage Resistance Rating will also provide a boost to your Control Expertise, Drain Expertise, and Exotic Particle Generator skills. This bonus lasts 15 seconds, and may be stacked up to 5 times.

When Triggered:

+35 Control Expertise, Drain Expertise, and Exotic Particle Generator skills
    Abilities that will trigger this effect include:

Attack Pattern Beta
    Attack Pattern Omega
    Auxiliary Power to Inertial Dampers
    Auxiliary Power to Structural Integrity
    Hazard Emitters
    Polarize Hull
    Hold Together
    Reroute Shields to Hull Containment

And no, you cannot get to and MAINTAIN 5 stacks by cycling Aux2Damp or Aux2Sif; tried it, not possible. Key reason? Activations do not REFRESH the timer. (This nugget of truth would have been a nice add to the release notes.) Admittedly though, it was this same logic of thought that I, too, shared before investing in the purchase of the ship. Adding insult to injury, after activating Hazard Emitters, the countdown for the trait does not wait to begin until after the ability has completed as seen with Cold Hearted when activating Hold Together. Which dovetails into Hold Together and this new trait. Yes, just like Hazard Emitters, Scientific Bulwark does not wait for Hold Together to complete before beginning its 15-sec countdown. All well and good if that is the game's intent but again, this bit of intel would have been a nice add to the release notes.

PS: I am in agreement, Attack Pattern Delta should activate this trait. Guess what? It does not! Then again, it is also NOT listed in the release notes...like BETA.
    Post edited by dannon#6463 on
  • dannon#6463 dannon Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    westmetals wrote: »

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11513573

Starship Trait – Scientific Bulwark
    Activating any Bridge Officer Ability which increases Damage Resistance Rating will also provide a boost to your Control Expertise, Drain Expertise, and Exotic Particle Generator skills. This bonus lasts 15 seconds, and may be stacked up to 5 times.

When Triggered:

+35 Control Expertise, Drain Expertise, and Exotic Particle Generator skills
    Abilities that will trigger this effect include:

Attack Pattern Beta
    Attack Pattern Omega
    Auxiliary Power to Inertial Dampers
    Auxiliary Power to Structural Integrity
    Hazard Emitters
    Polarize Hull
    Hold Together
    Reroute Shields to Hull Containment

And no, you cannot get to and MAINTAIN 5 stacks by cycling Aux2Damp or Aux2Sif; tried it, not possible. Key reason? Activations do not REFRESH the timer. (This nugget of truth would have been a nice add to the release notes.) Admittedly though, it was this same logic of thought that I, too, shared before investing in the purchase of the ship. Adding insult to injury, after activating Hazard Emitters, the countdown for the trait does not wait to begin until after the ability has completed as seen with Cold Hearted when activating Hold Together. Which dovetails into Hold Together and this new trait. Yes, just like Hazard Emitters, Scientific Bulwark does not wait for Hold Together to complete before beginning its 15-sec countdown. All well and good if that is the game's intent but again, this bit of intel would have been a nice add to the release notes.

PS: I am in agreement, Attack Pattern Delta should activate this trait. Guess what? It does not! Then again, it is also NOT listed in the release notes...like BETA.

In combination with the other skills, perhaps you could. I have not tested it, but I have a current build that includes Hazard Emitters, Polarize Hull, AND Hold Together... (and AP Beta, but...) those plus the Aux ones, perhaps?

Also, even if it's difficult to get to 5x stacks, there's no reason that can't be the limit. There are other abilities similar to that already... for example, while it is possible to 4x the [AMP] warp core mod, most people can't get to 4x and are usually at 2x or 3x.

True. This is true. I did, however, expect (or rather, hope for) more from a 1.2-1.4 billion ship. In context, this is, after all, just a cartoon game for the bored and/or unemployed; nothing serious lost with this purchase. Once more, onto the next pixel! :smile:
  • chrian#9670 chrian Member Posts: 622 Cryptic Developer
    The Attack Pattern : beta being there is an error in the blog, It should be attack pattern Delta.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    The Attack Pattern : beta being there is an error in the blog, It should be attack pattern Delta.

Delta doesn't work either. Just tried it.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

Delta doesn't work either. Just tried it.

It works now since the patch.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.