test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does it always take a couple of months for a bug fix???

2»

Comments

• urbanski#5793 urbanski Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Bug fixing is never an easy thing. But it does get even more complicated when the number of people capable of fixing bugs is so small and they are each expected to wear multiple hats and are constantly having to reprioritize their time according to whatever code-oriented whim dreamed up by people whose only hat is marketing.

It also doesn't help when the code you're trying to 'fix' is...not good, either. And STO's codebase is a mess. They've openly admitted as much. It was a rush job from the start that they never quite finished and have been playing whack-a-mole with ever since.

From my limited experience the space game seems fairly solid. The ground game is a hot mess, it looks and plays like a pre-alpha. It's all over the place. If that is the standard of coding then bug fixing must be a total nightmare.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Bug fixing is never an easy thing. But it does get even more complicated when the number of people capable of fixing bugs is so small and they are each expected to wear multiple hats and are constantly having to reprioritize their time according to whatever code-oriented whim dreamed up by people whose only hat is marketing.

It also doesn't help when the code you're trying to 'fix' is...not good, either. And STO's codebase is a mess. They've openly admitted as much. It was a rush job from the start that they never quite finished and have been playing whack-a-mole with ever since.

From my limited experience the space game seems fairly solid. The ground game is a hot mess, it looks and plays like a pre-alpha. It's all over the place. If that is the standard of coding then bug fixing must be a total nightmare.

Well the thing is and this is no secret either, that Cryptic was given way too little time to do STO by Atari back in the days as result there was a lot of sub-optimal solutions to coding problems and not enough reporting on how this was done. As a result the current team has the task of trying to guess what the original developers (who in many cases have left Cryptic or moved to another team) were trying to accomplish and then trying to work out a better way of doing it.

And this isn't so much due to incompetence as it's Atari (who were the original publisher) screaming at Cryptic's ear to get the game done and thus Cryptic devs were forced to do solutions that weren't as good as they have been but they sort of worked.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2022

Which is ironic, given the engine was adapted from a superhero game, and the space combat portions had to be h.acked in.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • vgerarnold#4379 vgerarnold Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    (Private correspondence moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    edited March 2022
    (Flaming/trolling comments moderated out. BMR)
    edited March 2022
    (Flaming/trolling, spamming comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    That was unfortunate. 😕
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.