test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does this make sense? 3 hours left on event so lets do a 2 1/2 hour maintenance now.

heavyarms69heavyarms69 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I feel kind of cheated out 3 hours of double exp because them decided to do a 2 1/2 hour maintenance right now. I am thinking there should be some compensation. If you are going to have event at specify time and date to another time and date, then you should plan around the maintenance or if you have to maintenance for any reason then extend time for the event. I want to know if anyone else feels this way. thanks
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I’m sorry you ran out of time. But STO schedules events to end around the maintenance period every week. It might be better maybe if it ended before the server went off rather than during or after. But I think the real lesson here is just to be aware that you shouldn’t wait until the last few hours to complete events. Now that you know the schedule you can plan better next time, but I agree it is inconvenient for you.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    I want to know if anyone else feels this way. thanks

Not me but then I dont generally feel cheated or in need of compensation when a regularly free event ends.

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    STO's events usually go back to back. So the question here is do you want the old event that most people have already completed cut into by maintenance or do you want the shiny new event cut into by maintenance. Most people are going to say just cut it into the old one, mainly because all they are going to lose is a little bit of dilithium.

Two, maintenance is often over early with STO, so it's an easy thing, if you're prepped or available, to run into the game, complete the event for the dilithium, then turn around and complete the beginning of the next event.

Three, in general this is the time that the least amount of players are actually playing. Most people in America are at work, and the Asian and European community has already logged on in general and completed the event for the day.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I dunno about rest of Europe but for me I'm still at "work" when the maintenance starts so I wouldn't really be able to play anyway until after and it's not like the starting time should come as surprise seeing as it's more or less the same time every week.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Nearly every event ends on a Thursday, and Thursday is maintenance day the majority of the time.
    It's up to you to plan for this if you believe you cannot finish a 5 day event in the 7+ days provided.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    Welcome back to the game! I'm guessing that you don't recall, but this is pretty much standard operations. Maintenance is every Thursday around the same time, and about 2 hours is pretty much normal. Most everyone understands that events end at the beginning of maintenance, because turning off said events is part of maintenance, and plan accordingly. If "compensation" is ever offered, it is usually due to [b]unexpected [/b] downtime. I'm sorry that you feel "cheated." Hopefully, knowing this now will help moving forward. 🖖
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    This is why it's unwise to plan on completing an event on maintenance day, unless you can complete it before maint starts.

They usually give enough days that you can complete it before it ends.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I feel kind of cheated out 3 hours of double exp because them decided to do a 2 1/2 hour maintenance right now. I am thinking there should be some compensation. If you are going to have event at specify time and date to another time and date, then you should plan around the maintenance or if you have to maintenance for any reason then extend time for the event. I want to know if anyone else feels this way. thanks

You must be a new player - as this has been the SOP for years...Yes, the event ends at 10 AM on a day where there is a 2 - 3 hour downtime for a patch starting at 7 or 8 AM PDT...

Yes, they (Cryptic) know; and yes, since it's a 99% regular thing: IE - That they patch on Thursdays - their response is: "Plan for it, don't wait until the last minute and expect to finish..."

(And no, I'm really not defending them here per se - but no, they have rarely altered scheduled patch times - yes it has happened in these past 12 years - for events; and sometimes even IF the server comes up early, you'll still find the event ended as they didn't expect to come back up before 10:00 AM.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    The last day is a bit of a bonus day for me since I do an event once a day at roughly the same time. Because it's 20 hours instead of 24 hours cooldown there's a small window to get a bonus completion done earlier than I normally do it.

It's similar with Elder Scrolls Online; the events start/end at 3pm where I am but reset at 6:00am IIRC. They also have maintenance which can be from 9:00am until 2pm or thereabouts. Usually I can do the daily quest required on an alt in advance and log in quick to turn it in using Stadia on my phone. Very convenient.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    IMO, considering this happens ALL the times, they should just stop setting events' end date and hour during the usual maintenance period and set it before.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    IMO, considering this happens ALL the times, they should just stop setting events' end date and hour during the usual maintenance period and set it before.

Yep, list the official ending time as 6 AM Pacific then give the procrastinators "bonus" time until maintenance starts.

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User

Yep, list the official ending time as 6 AM Pacific then give the procrastinators "bonus" time until maintenance starts.

This seems more reasonable for benefit of new players. Who I strongly suspect try this game from scratch regularly with each new season of a Star Trek series entering the rotation. Why risk losing new players with avoidable confusion?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
This discussion has been closed.