test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Ships are Canon!

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
The Countdown to Canon is complete. As of this morning at midnight, four Star Trek Online ships have appeared in Star Trek Picard, officially making them canon vessels. And we want to celebrate with you. Look for a special video tomorrow documenting the process of these ships appearing on the show, but right now, get a chance to save on all of these ships, and grab the Inquiry for Lobi for the first time! All of these sales last from March 3rd at 8am PT to March 10th at 10am PT.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11510543-sto-ships-are-canon!
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    This is very interesting news. It means that Picard looks less cheap with more ship variety.

And of course it must be amazing for the designers involved. Congratulations!
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Didn’t you know? The copy-paste ships are totally most realistic. At least that is what the CBS propaganda tells me:

https://trekmovie.com/2020/07/05/us-naval-academy-professor-argues-for-single-ship-design-seen-in-star-trek-picard-battle-of-coppelius/

More interestingly maybe they call that 1- effect standoff a “battle.” Lazy.
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    ...Countdown to canon. So that's what that was supposed to mean. So... was spelling it "cannon" deliberate obfuscation, or yet another typo? Could go either way.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    Didn’t you know? The copy-paste ships are totally most realistic. At least that is what the CBS propaganda tells me:

https://trekmovie.com/2020/07/05/us-naval-academy-professor-argues-for-single-ship-design-seen-in-star-trek-picard-battle-of-coppelius/

Commander Berube makes some good points, but the Federation may not be quite as homogeneous as his observations about fleet efficiencies seem to assume. In TOS it was fairly obvious that the Federation is not as centralized and standardized as the US, but rather more like the EU, and Starfleet was more like NATO, with a certain amount of standardization but still more variety than a single nation would tend to field.

Paramount Pictures was not interested in the kind of universe-building that a TV series needs for long term sustainability, so they ignored the structure implied in TOS and TNG pretty much continued ignoring it instead of exploring it.

Federation technology seems to lean towards abstracted standards that are implemented via plug-and-play self-adapting system-to-system interfaces (in fact they often interface with completely alien tech with little or no trouble) rather than identical copies of more elemental, basic parts (and even then, replicators can take care of a lot of the elemental parts issues), so they don't have to be completely identical to take advantage of economies of scale.

That also means that the various planets and regions of the Federation do not have to completely change over their own manufacturing toolchains and design paradigms, just make sure that it is interoperable (not necessarily exact one-to-one parts interchangeable) with Federation standards.

This approach can be seen in action in the practice of taking old but still solid hulls and completely revamping the interior systems to update them to modern standards, and even change their roles, though the size creep eventually makes old battlecruisers the equivalent of later light cruisers and whatnot.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    You know, that guy from that article above arguing for several points...his first point was already done - the Federation has shipyards at every major planet, not just Mars...Utopia Planitia just happened to be the biggest.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »

ummm as far as major combatants in the US Navy, you have carriers, all of which except one is more or less the same, Aegis cruisers, again, pretty much the same, and Arleigh Burke destroyers, again, more or less the same.. in addition, the engineering on the cruisers and destroyers use the same engines.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    You know, that guy from that article above arguing for several points...his first point was already done - the Federation has shipyards at every major planet, not just Mars...Utopia Planitia just happened to be the biggest.​​

True, in dialog they mention nineteen major shipyards by name in the various series, and also mention that larger starbases and outposts also have shipyards and/or at least repair yards.
  • Options
    athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    The Countdown to Canon is complete. As of this morning at midnight, four Star Trek Online ships have appeared in Star Trek Picard, officially making them canon vessels. And we want to celebrate with you. Look for a special video tomorrow documenting the process of these ships appearing on the show, but right now, get a chance to save on all of these ships, and grab the Inquiry for Lobi for the first time! All of these sales last from March 3rd at 8am PT to March 10th at 10am PT.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11510543-sto-ships-are-canon!

Yeah STO ships are canon, they are pretty good looking (except that new eisnberg one, the toilet and toilet seat ship, yikes tbh). It's picard and TRIBBLE that aren't considered canon by most fans.
  • Options
    millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    athan#5519 wrote: »
    It's picard and TRIBBLE that aren't considered canon by most fans.
    You, and the vocal minority of haters, are not "most fans." The current Star Treks are making enough money for them to keep making new seasons, so most of us are watching them and having a good time not hating Star Trek.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    In addition, "canon" is not something up for debate, what appears in DSC and PIC is canon, period. Sometimes canon clashes, gets changed or genuine mistakes happen that stay in the final product, but it's still canon.

Regarding the news itself, many STO ships look really great so they did well to choose those to display as more modern versions of the canon ships. I personally however prefer the T5 Oddyssey/'Refit' line aesthetically to the Andromeda/Sutherlad/T6 optics, and I hadn't used the Gagarin but oh well. They're nice looking ships.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    angrytarg wrote: »
    In addition, "canon" is not something up for debate, what appears in DSC and PIC is canon, period. Sometimes canon clashes, gets changed or genuine mistakes happen that stay in the final product, but it's still canon.

Regarding the news itself, many STO ships look really great so they did well to choose those to display as more modern versions of the canon ships. I personally however prefer the T5 Oddyssey/'Refit' line aesthetically to the Andromeda/Sutherlad/T6 optics, and I hadn't used the Gagarin but oh well. They're nice looking ships.​​
    As a longtime Nebula fan, the Sutherland was one of the first ships I purchased. I unfortunately don't use it as much, because I prefer a different seating arrangement.

It's an incredibly well-designed (and to me, better) version of the Nebula. Now that it's in the TV show, I can hope that it gets made into one of those model figures. They already made the Andromeda and Gagarin, so the only one of the three they're missing is the Sutherland. ::Crosses fingers.::
  • Options
    As a longtime Nebula fan, the Sutherland was one of the first ships I purchased. I unfortunately don't use it as much, because I prefer a different seating arrangement.

It's an incredibly well-designed (and to me, better) version of the Nebula. Now that it's in the TV show, I can hope that it gets made into one of those model figures. They already made the Andromeda and Gagarin, so the only one of the three they're missing is the Sutherland. ::Crosses fingers.::

I am a big Nebula fan as well, one of the few Eaglemoss models I display on my desk pig-2.gif I always go back to the default looks, however. But if we talk about a newer touch, I prefer the Nebula with Venture parts. The Sutherland/Andromeda deflector is too boxy for my taste pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    so most of us are watching them

Eh, as long as they're stuck in streaming services, they can make all the shows they want, but odds are against me seeing them.

• Options
    balarickbalarick Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Forgive me, but isn't the Sutherland class a refit of the Nebula that uses architecture that we first saw with the Andromeda class, which was the refit of the Galaxy that specifically used technology and designs that came out in the early 2410s in response to the Iconian War? In other words, since "Picard" takes place at the turn of the 25th century (the first season being in 2399), isn't the Sutherland class a bit out of time -- in this case, too early?

Then again, if androids can mindmeld "because they like vulcan culture," I suppose anything goes.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Just imagine the supreme disappointment any new players coming into the game because of these ships appearing in Picard will have once they find their newly purchased ship is totally buried under layer upon layer upon layer of VFX vomit.

Well they'll just have to sit in space and look at it, just not use it.

With regards to VFX garbage, has anybody ever discerned what a Voth citadel is doing when initially provoked. I can't decipher it at all, I've even taken screenshots to try and figure it out.
  • Options
    balarick wrote: »
    Forgive me, but isn't the Sutherland class a refit of the Nebula that uses architecture that we first saw with the Andromeda class, which was the refit of the Galaxy that specifically used technology and designs that came out in the early 2410s in response to the Iconian War? In other words, since "Picard" takes place at the turn of the 25th century (the first season being in 2399), isn't the Sutherland class a bit out of time -- in this case, too early?

Then again, if androids can mindmeld "because they like vulcan culture," I suppose anything goes.

The Sutherland and Andromeda are not refits but entirely new classes continuing the "legacy" of the 24c classes. In STO, the Venture-type is the 'refit' of those ships (what the Ent-A constitution was to the TOS one, almost new ship but built around the old hull). However, you are right - they are out of time in Picard. I wonder if STOs devs, who are so hyped about this, think about rewriting their games' history pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    balarick wrote: »

The Sutherland and Andromeda are not refits but entirely new classes continuing the "legacy" of the 24c classes. In STO, the Venture-type is the 'refit' of those ships (what the Ent-A constitution was to the TOS one, almost new ship but built around the old hull). However, you are right - they are out of time in Picard. I wonder if STOs devs, who are so hyped about this, think about rewriting their games' history pig-2.gif​​

Hush! Game don't need more rewriting. @_@
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

Yeah it's a fun ship, but not very versatile.

• Options
    Just imagine the supreme disappointment any new players coming into the game because of these ships appearing in Picard will have once they find their newly purchased ship is totally buried under layer upon layer upon layer of VFX vomit.

With regards to VFX garbage, has anybody ever discerned what a Voth citadel is doing when initially provoked. I can't decipher it at all, I've even taken screenshots to try and figure it out.

It's a reflective shield that shoots back your own damage at you. It's not always easy to see on which side it's active.

And it can instantly kill you if you're good at the other 99% of the game.

• Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I'm just hoping that now that we are seeing ships promoted to canon that Polar Lights gets onboard and makes some decent scale models of ships. 3D prints and tiny toys are one thing, but a lighted 1/1000 or 1/350 resin model kit is still the shelf king.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

It's a reflective shield that shoots back your own damage at you. It's not always easy to see on which side it's active.

And it can instantly kill you if you're good at the other 99% of the game.

No, not that bit. That's glaringly obvious what that does, H'urq do that one too.

The OTHER kaleidoscope going on that completely obscures the ship.

Oh and to tack on a rider, no sale for consoles I take it? Guess Cryptic hate money.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    You, and the vocal minority of haters, are not "most fans." The current Star Treks are making enough money for them to keep making new seasons, so most of us are watching them and having a good time not hating Star Trek.

I beg to differ on the money making of this current Trek, in the last public investor open call, during the entire showing, TRIBBLE or Picard were never mentioned as a subscriber grabber or increaser as mentioned by YouTuber Valiant Renegade check for that specific converse at the 10:16 minute mark.

And once again, the only person I know officialy who 'HATE' the NuTrek, is Mr.Robert Meyer Burnett, who has declared very much since start of TRIBBLE, and Picard. And he has prudent reasons, as he and several folks who worked on the documentary portion of the NGen DVD merch. And he knows the material quite well.

But that is besides the point, if you can show a rebutal to VR's reporting on that matter, hopefully it would shine on what the numbers are for viewing.

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    truewarper wrote: »

I beg to differ on the money making of this current Trek, in the last public investor open call, during the entire showing, TRIBBLE or Picard were never mentioned as a subscriber grabber or increaser as mentioned by YouTuber Valiant Renegade check for that specific converse at the 10:16 minute mark.

And once again, the only person I know officialy who 'HATE' the NuTrek, is Mr.Robert Meyer Burnett, who has declared very much since start of TRIBBLE, and Picard. And he has prudent reasons, as he and several folks who worked on the documentary portion of the NGen DVD merch. And he knows the material quite well.

But that is besides the point, if you can show a rebutal to VR's reporting on that matter, hopefully it would shine on what the numbers are for viewing.

You fail to mention that while they aren't increasers, they aren't decreasers, either. The thing about subscription services is that maintainers are more valuable than increasers in the logn run. After all, a show that increases for 12 weeks but drops all of the increase at the end of the run (or worse, increases for a single week at the end of the run as people binge it) is nowhere near as valuable as the shows that keep those increses going for the remaining 40 weeks. A show doesn't have to be a blockbuster to make money in the world of subscription services, it just has to keep people from dropping.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    jaturnley wrote: »

And once again, the only person I know officialy who 'HATE' the NuTrek, is Mr.Robert Meyer Burnett, who has declared very much since start of S-T-D, and Picard. And he has prudent reasons, as he and several folks who worked on the documentary portion of the NGen DVD merch. And he knows the material quite well.

You fail to mention that while they aren't increasers, they aren't decreasers, either. The thing about subscription services is that maintainers are more valuable than increasers in the logn run. After all, a show that increases for 12 weeks but drops all of the increase at the end of the run (or worse, increases for a single week at the end of the run as people binge it) is nowhere near as valuable as the shows that keep those increses going for the remaining 40 weeks. A show doesn't have to be a blockbuster to make money in the world of subscription services, it just has to keep people from dropping.

Ah, but it is not on me to say the actual thing, because no one in the general public has true access to the numbers, except the provider of the said IP material. And the point of that specific mention was to highlight the fact, that if preimere show(s) is doing gangbusters, should get a vocal mention to perk up possible investors interest. So, please don't deflect.

Other shows got a mention, like 1883, but not TRIBBLE or Picard, that alone speaks volumes. That is the bottom line from a business view. And as I offer evidence to the point, on what is making money, and it wasn't dismiss outright. I am still awaiting your's...and your words alone here is not enough to sustain the obvious.

And to add to the context of making money, the latest attempt by JJA on drumming up interest for a fourth ST Kelvintime fic, felled flat, as it was dissected by seveal news sites or blogs much later. That the cast was coming back, was not even discussed beforehanded before that word was dropped. It has been now indicated, that was a farce announcement and any potiental leverage that Paramount supposedly had to discuss the salaries of the possible returning stars, are now gone.

That article can be found online if researched. Take care....

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

The reason why Discovery and Picard weren't mentioned as new subscriber grabbers, is because the people who are fans of the shows are already subscribed. That guy is twisting the new subscriber numbers, to make it seem like the shows aren't being watched. If you have millions of people already loving pizza, and pizza didn't get very many new lovers last year, that doesn't take away the fact that millions of people still love pizza.

From the end of 2020: https://trekmovie.com/2020/11/06/viacomcbs-ceo-touts-star-trek-for-streaming-growth-and-proof-of-concept-for-paramount/

So Discovery and/or Picard already pulled in the fans. Infinite growth is a fallacy.

This is from the end of last year: https://collider.com/star-trek-discovery-most-watched-original-series-paramount-plus/
    According to the platform, the critically acclaimed series Star Trek: Discovery and the new hit series iCarly have taken the top spots of the first and second most watched series respectively, with iCarly also taking the top spot of most downloaded episode to watch on the go with its debut episode “iStart Over” .

Showing that the fans that they pulled in, in the past, have remained and continue to watch and enjoy Star Trek.

They're not going to throw money away on a fifth season (already announced) if it isn't being watched or making money. The haters are just a vocal minority that would rather have no Star Trek than a Star Trek that doesn't focus on their own personal power fantasies.

EDIT: Jaturnley beat me to the punch. I probably should have finished reading the whole thread before clicking on reply. ^_^
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    moving back on topic, it makes sense they're using STO ships. it creates a "visual continuality" between STO and Picard (which is roughly set around the same time) and gives them a wide array of ships to use without having to spend development dollars and time designing brand new ships just to sit in the background of scenes
This discussion has been closed.