test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What does the orange triangle mean?

badcyborg#2394 badcyborg Member Posts: 3 Arc User
w33fw9e02mj6.jpg

I would really like to know what the orange triangle on the target reticle represents, sometimes it points up, sometimes down and is also seen in ground combat. Google has been no help and I have asked in fleet and in a Facebook group and nobody seems to know, I'm hoping some bright spark in here will know as it's really starting to bug me. :smile: Thanks!
Came for the spaceship, stayed to mine rocks.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Best Answer

• Options
    corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 2,331 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    The up arrow ui icon indicates a 'special-class' enemy that has increased damage and health -- I hesitate to give an estimate but I'd wager roughly double normal values. The down arrow indicates the opposite. The whole system is used pretty sparingly.

Answers

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    w33fw9e02mj6.jpg

I would really like to know what the orange triangle on the target reticle represents, sometimes it points up, sometimes down and is also seen in ground combat. Google has been no help and I have asked in fleet and in a Facebook group and nobody seems to know, I'm hoping some bright spark in here will know as it's really starting to bug me. :smile: Thanks!

it's the targets relative power level, I think. if I remember correctly down is a weaker then normal, up is stronger.

at least I remember that being a thing in sto but it's been so long since it's mattered I'm not sure.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    That should be the rank of the enemy (Captain/Battleship/Carrier in this case), and I think changes looks between different factions.
    nightken wrote: »
    w33fw9e02mj6.jpg

it's the targets relative power level, I think. if I remember correctly down is a weaker then normal, up is stronger.

at least I remember that being a thing in sto but it's been so long since it's mattered I'm not sure.

Relative level is the Green 0 in this case, meaning on par level wise. Red numbers would mean higher level for the enemy (which STO usually doesn't do on purpose,) negative green (maybe yellow? rarely happens) numbers for lower than you (usually because you leveled while on the same map).
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    Could it have something to do with which of the enemy's shields is currently being targeted?
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Could it have something to do with which of the enemy's shields is currently being targeted?

That should be on the white circle thing in the center top element, I think it's not showing since the enemy is out of range.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    tom61sto wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »

That should be on the white circle thing in the center top element, I think it's not showing since the enemy is out of range.

Got it. Found the white triangle on the center targeting element when in range for targeted shield facing.

While on a patrol I have the same orange triangle on the center targeting element (PC). Up for a boss (named?) ship, down on others. Seems to be missing on some smaller enemy ships.

FvfuTRC.jpg
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    As I see you are on console, I will say it is probably just an artifact of the PC UI that didnt port over well. Just like how PC players can see all the buffs and debuffs on themselves, teammates, and enemies but console players cant see diddley.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    Federation DOT requires all ships to put out the orange triangles if they have to drop out of warp and pull over?
This discussion has been closed.