test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request: Allow the Tachyon Detection Grid on the Laeosa and Naj'sov

nuwok1nuwok1 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
I posted this on reddit, but was encouraged to post it here, as well..

The Laeosa Research Warbird (rom) and the Naj'sov Research Vessel (kdf) are the faction equivalent for the Sutherland Advanced Research Vessel (a.k.a. the T6 Nebula).

They all get the Console - Universal - Tachyon Particle Field Emitter, but only the T6 Nebula can equip the Console - Universal - Tachyon Detection Grid (TDG). Also because of that, they don't get the 2pc set bonus.

I'd like to see it allowed on all "Research Vessels", which includes the Laeosa and the Naj'sov and their fleet equivalents. Consequently, giving them the 2pc bonus, as well. To be clear, I'm not asking for the TDG to be unrestricted. I just want Nebula equivalents to get access to it.

For those concerned that the TDG is too OP to be equipped on ships that can cloak, I'd like to make a few points.
  1. The big buff given by the TDG is AoE and the caster (person flying the nebula) doesn't actually get the +15% StealthSight buff. They get a much smaller StealthSight buff.
  2. Since the TDG is AoE, there's no restriction on who can get that +15% StealthSight bonus. Meaning, even players that can cloak get the big buff.
  3. The buff the caster gets is equivalent to the Console - Universal - Tachyon Detection Field (TDF), which comes with the T3 Nebula. That console is unrestricted.
  4. The TDF is disabled while cloaked. You can only trigger it while uncloaked. I'd like the TDG to work the same. Perhaps even preventing the ship from cloaking while the TDG is active.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    +1, this sounds like a reasonable request.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    First of all, i have a T6 sniffer build (cloak detection build) on a T6 Nebula which i frequently take into kerrat and i manage to spot cloaked vessels from a considerable distance.

Now note that i mention kerrat and it becomes obvious that the tachyon detection is primarily a PVP feature. On a T6 Nebula the large detection range is sort of balanced by the fact that it is very visible.

Now consider those consoles on vessels with a cloak...
    While there are a LOT of methods for detecting cloaked vessels, combining a detection range of 30+ Km with a cloak could very easily be considered a bit overpowered.

I'm sympathetic to the idea, but i do think it is unwise to implement.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    This request makes sense.

Personally, I'd like to see most console restrictions being removed. For some consoles a restriction makes sense, like the Prometheus' splitting console. Other restrictions, like for the Defiant's cloak or the Akira consoles, seem less necessary.

But for a ship that is clearly presented as being the equivalent of another one, it makes perfect sense that they should be able to use the same console.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @questerius said:
    > First of all, i have a T6 sniffer build (cloak detection build) on a T6 Nebula which i frequently take into kerrat and i manage to spot cloaked vessels from a considerable distance.
    >
    > Now note that i mention kerrat and it becomes obvious that the tachyon detection is primarily a PVP feature. On a T6 Nebula the large detection range is sort of balanced by the fact that it is very visible.
    >
    > Now consider those consoles on vessels with a cloak...
    > While there are a LOT of methods for detecting cloaked vessels, combining a detection range of 30+ Km with a cloak could very easily be considered a bit overpowered.
    >
    > I'm sympathetic to the idea, but i do think it is unwise to implement.

I think the OP has addressed your concerns very well.

I too support this idea. Note that the OP is not asking the devs to make faction equivalents of the T3 and T5 Nebulas, nor are they asking for the TDG console to be included with the purchase of any Rom or KDF ship. They are only asking for two ships, 2, to be added to the usage list of the TDG console.

Not a very big ask, and not an unreasonable one either.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    >

I too support this idea. Note that the OP is not asking the devs to make faction equivalents of the T3 and T5 Nebulas, nor are they asking for the TDG console to be included with the purchase of any Rom or KDF ship. They are only asking for two ships, 2, to be added to the usage list of the TDG console.

The issue is not with the clickies, but with the innate stealth sight.

And while PVP is a mere shadow of its former glory (being generous here) the devs are most likely not going to nerf cloaking even more than they already have without a tribble good reason to do so. Availability of a console because faction equality may simply not be a sufficient reason.

I understand why it is being asked, but i also think it is unwise to do so.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • nuwok1nuwok1 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    garaffe wrote: »
    >

The issue is not with the clickies, but with the innate stealth sight.

And while PVP is a mere shadow of its former glory (being generous here) the devs are most likely not going to nerf cloaking even more than they already have without a tribble good reason to do so. Availability of a console because faction equality may simply not be a sufficient reason.

I understand why it is being asked, but i also think it is unwise to do so.

I think you've missed one of my points. The TDG does not give the Nebula a big SDR. It gives *everyone else* the bonus.
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Bonuses aside, there's the question of how KDF allied chars would even get the console, since as far as I know there's no T5 versions of the two ships, and they probably won't make any. Right now the only way they could get the console is to get it from the T5 Sutherland, and it's the Fed version of the console so won't work on other ships. Removing the ship restrictions would still mean someone would need the T5 Sutherland and likely the T6 Nebula version, and cross faction flying, in order to use the consoles on other ships. Which might lead to more complaints by those that don't want to buy and claim a Fed ship on a KDF char or who don't have cross faction flying unlocked yet.
    edited February 2022
    Bonuses aside, there's the question of how KDF allied chars would even get the console, since as far as I know there's no T5 versions of the two ships, and they probably won't make any. Right now the only way they could get the console is to get it from the T5 Sutherland, and it's the Fed version of the console so won't work on other ships. Removing the ship restrictions would still mean someone would need the T5 Sutherland and likely the T6 Nebula version, and cross faction flying, in order to use the consoles on other ships. Which might lead to more complaints by those that don't want to buy and claim a Fed ship on a KDF char or who don't have cross faction flying unlocked yet.

Let me give an example of something you can already do. There are KDF and Rom equivalents for the T6 Vestas. If you own the T5 (Fed) Vestas, you can grab those consoles and put them on your KDF and Rom equivalents.

I simply want the same to be true for the KDF and Rom T6 Nebulas. If you own the T5 Nebula, I want to grab that console and put it on the KDF and Rom T6 equivalents.
    westmetals wrote: »

"and it's the Fed version of the console so won't work on other ships. "

There's no such thing. Consoles don't innately have allegiances. Just, in some cases, restrictions on which ships they can be used on.

Let me give an example of something you can already do. There are KDF and Rom equivalents for the T6 Vestas. If you own the T5 Vestas, you can grab those consoles and put them on your KDF and Rom T6 equivalents.

I simply want the same to be true for the KDF and Rom T6 Nebulas. If you own the T5 Nebula, I want to grab that console and put it on the KDF and Rom T6 equivalents.

edited February 2022
    Consoles don't have allegiances.

I understand what you are saying; but we're just dancing around vocabulary, which isn't where I want this discussion to go.

westmetals wrote: »
    nuwok1 wrote: »
    Consoles don't have allegiances.

I understand what you are saying; but we're just dancing around vocabulary, which isn't where I want this discussion to go.

If you want to snipe at me for agreeing with you, then you can lead this crusade all by yourself.

My apologies. I misunderstdood.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Actually, there are a few cases of race-specific console ingame - but only in how they function, not in equip restrictions.

The warhead modules being one example and the enhanced induction coils off the T2 BoP refit boosts a different power level than its fed counterpart - weapons instead of shields.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @corinthalas said:
    > There's similar kind, but I forget the console name -- it provides a 'faction specific' energy weapon boost to phaser, disruptor, plasma, or polaron, based on the faction equipping the console rather than whichever faction ship the console comes from.

Entangled quantum bombardment.
This discussion has been closed.