test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten-Forward Weekly 10th February 2022

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,287 Arc User
    A fleet-like holding that would probably be popular nowadays would be an Alliance-level armada-like structure that could have fleets from all factions in it. It could feature a ground area that (like Drozanna and a few other places) is faction-neutral and have amenities and products that have an Alliance focus and style.
    Kael doesn't know if they will ever go back and add more races to the Dominion faction. He wants to, but they would have to rewrite the story for it to make sense.

While rewriting the Dominion tutorial to actually reflect the structure of the canon Dominion instead of just Odo's expeditionary force would be the best way to do it, it really isn't necessary. Odo's influence over the training facility that it starts out in could easily lead to having everyone go through the same basic training as a way of lowering the walls between the military castes (in canon no Jem'Hadar could ever rise above noncom ranks for instance, let alone captain ships like they do in STO).

All that would take would be adding short cutscene (or even just typed dialog/monolog) at the beginning saying that as an experiment the Founders (probably really only Odo, with the others tolerating his eccentricity) have opened the military to some other races (if they include Dosi, Wadi, Hunters, and/or "alien", in canon Vorta are already in the military/intelligence service) and are removing the caste barriers. That way the current starter scenario makes more than enough sense.

Realistically, Vorta may secretly be annoyed going through grunt basic training, but they are devout enough that they would do it without protest. And since their primary targeting sense is hearing instead of vision (that is what those huge complex ears are for) their nearsightedness would not be a problem (and in addition to that their ground weapons could link-in to their tac monocle which would also solve their weak distance vision problem).
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,774 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Terran faction unlikely since not too many people really like playing the badguy.

This will bother me until the sun blows up. What exactly constitutes "not too many people"?

Also, I question the entire logic of this. If nobody wants to play Terrans, why can we look like them (and why do so many choose to do so)?

"Not too many" really means "not enough to warrant developing a new faction". This is one area that Cryptic is very familiar with, a long time ago they made an expansion for City of Heroes called City of Villains, and the number of players who played a villain was extremely small compared to the hero playerbase. It's appealing to some, but the vast majority of players aren't interested in playing an evil character.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,287 Arc User
    Terran faction unlikely since not too many people really like playing the badguy.

This will bother me until the sun blows up. What exactly constitutes "not too many people"?

Also, I question the entire logic of this. If nobody wants to play Terrans, why can we look like them (and why do so many choose to do so)?

"Not too many" really means "not enough to warrant developing a new faction". This is one area that Cryptic is very familiar with, a long time ago they made an expansion for City of Heroes called City of Villains, and the number of players who played a villain was extremely small compared to the hero playerbase. It's appealing to some, but the vast majority of players aren't interested in playing an evil character.

True, if you read the bio of the Terran player characters that have them, most of them seem to be Spock's underground faction or other rebels instead of the actually evil ones. Playing a rebel is more of a draw than playing a villain, I think.

There is also the factor that the Terran uniforms show a lot more skin, generally look better than the spandex Berman era things, and a lot of people got them for free from an event or whatever while the 'open top' prime universe uniforms cost extra, which is also not the player wanting to play an evil character.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 9,822 Arc User
    edited February 12

True, if you read the bio of the Terran player characters that have them, most of them seem to be Spock's underground faction or other rebels instead of the actually evil ones. Playing a rebel is more of a draw than playing a villain, I think.

There is also the factor that the Terran uniforms show a lot more skin, generally look better than the spandex Berman era things, and a lot of people got them for free from an event or whatever while the 'open top' prime universe uniforms cost extra, which is also not the player wanting to play an evil character.

Yes, my one Terran captain is a defector who fled to the prime universe with his crew in his Paradox. He works for the Federation and Alliance not the Empire.

And: Space Barbie is the real endgame. Dressing up Space Ken and Space Barbie as a Terran is not playing a psycho stabby moron Terran who kills all of his skilled crewmates for DRAMA! reasons.
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I am sure that it's possible to play a Terran without hurting anyone's sensibility:
    We know that the Terran Empire is in constant inner turmoil, i mean that it's not uncommon that oerly ambitious captains and leaders try to ease their way to powers in manners we all know very well...

Smiley O'Brien ( and Spock, for that matter ) demonstrated that you don't necessarily Have to be the galaxy's meanest and evilest TRIBBLE. to be a Terran... we could be a disgraced captain, or a Smiley's O'Brien's loyalist, or even a Memory Omega/Spock follower... all origins tha could lead us in the Alliance's Embrace alongside Leeta ( but for other reasons ), Other relevant Mirror Counterparts of PRime Universe NPCs could be our contacts... a Mirror LaForge, or Mirror Kurland, or Mirror Bashir ( if he survived ) could be our lead, in Bashir's case we can even pull a DS9 Mirror reference...

We could have a Storyline where we could be a Terran Officer, but with a plot that puts us at odds with the Empire and everyone in its favour ( Kuumarke/Killy ), and it could give a story to the Inquisitor, WE could be the Inquisitor and it would replace the Red Shift story arc like Victory Is Life made an alternative for the Gamma Quadrant Mission...

Just my two cents... i am fairly confident that you can Be a Terran Character AND Decent at the same time, and become an Alliance player... unless the cange of management could grant Cryptic more juice and help them be more ambitious...
    0he9rXF.png
    I mean, it does have a bit of Romulan Republic/ Jarok-Unificationist vibe to it and we saw a taste of that in the Time Travel mission in Delta Rising to rid of the Vaadwaur ( we see a Romulan captain defecting in what could have been a possible timeline, same thing could happen in a Terran Scenario)
    0he9rXF.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,240 Arc User
    Mirror Uniforms are exclusive to the bundle.
    Untrue, they are in the lobi store as well, except for the Inquisitor's custom one, and the new badges and daggers. I hope they'll take those who bought the now incomplete lobi versions into consideration.
    Well, I got my answer. Unfortunately, it's as I expected:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507853
    These costumes and costume pieces are exclusive to this Bundle.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 2,072 Arc User
    edited February 13
    Mirror Uniforms are exclusive to the bundle.
    Untrue, they are in the lobi store as well, except for the Inquisitor's custom one, and the new badges and daggers. I hope they'll take those who bought the now incomplete lobi versions into consideration.
    Well, I got my answer. Unfortunately, it's as I expected:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507853
    These costumes and costume pieces are exclusive to this Bundle.

It also answers an outstanding question about the ships -- they are all fleet-level. I see some interesting consoles and traits, too.

-edit- I will say, my first response to Controlled Aggression trait was "Really, that's it? A bonus of up to 30 control expertise?"
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,958 Arc User

"No one" of course means "not enough to warrant the time and money spend, considering what we could do with it for players if we did stuff that more people want."

Giving us toys to look Terran is comparatively cheap to do, considering that even without that stuff, Cryptic still needs to build Terran costumes and ships. Giving us an actual Terran story where we go around, torturing and abusing people and committing terrible war crimes to make us feel better about the torture and abuse we were constantly exposed too until we got powerful enough to do it onto others is a different matter.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

"No one" of course means "not enough to warrant the time and money spend, considering what we could do with it for players if we did stuff that more people want."

Giving us toys to look Terran is comparatively cheap to do, considering that even without that stuff, Cryptic still needs to build Terran costumes and ships. Giving us an actual Terran story where we go around, torturing and abusing people and committing terrible war crimes to make us feel better about the torture and abuse we were constantly exposed too until we got powerful enough to do it onto others is a different matter.

If what many players are worried about is the moral standpoint when playing terrans, you could solve it by making some good storytelling: make us a Captain in Disgrace ( perhaps due to what Tilly/Kuumarke are doing ), have us get betrayed, or be a splinter factions that was with Smiley's reign and got shafted when the current Emperor facilitated his early retirement... or even better, make us Memory Omega-like operatives ( which Emperor Spock founded, in some lore ), or something similar STO can actually make.

And there we have, a morally decent ( relatively speaking ) or "grey" Terran with a story that justifies them ask for Alliance's Aid, maybe Leeta being our contact ( like D'Tan/Quinn and the other factions ), or a Mirror counterpart that could fill that role... Mirror Laforge or even better Bashir?

What i mean is, you can come from an evil faction and Still make it enjoyable and, while at it, add a piece of good storytelling that ties to the current events...
    0he9rXF.png
    edited February 13
    Maybe bring back Mirror O'Brien from early STO, change his character ( since it got replaced by Leeta ) and have him seek revenge for his father's murder ( thus the Emperor being someone else ), making Our terran faction a wild card of sorts, like Our Dominion characters, or even the Romulan Republic
    0he9rXF.png
    edited February 13
    Or, have us explore the Inquisitor story further and then have us switch sides, Red Shift being a little bit edited to leave out the Prime Universe bit at the beginning (meeting Janeway on the Prime Voyager, like what happened with Victory Is Life with a different perspective of the prologue if we play Jem'Hadar and how we entered the Tzenketh'i station ) and there you have an origin story that gets us right in the Alliance... ;)
    0he9rXF.png
  • trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    I was always under the impression that in most so called free to play games, such as E.V.E, the currency earned in game can only be exchanged for the 'purchase' currency directly with the game publisher at a fixed rate,

I do not know what gave you that impression but this is not how EVE Online does it, and it is not how any of the games I have seen does it.

In EVE you can get "premium" currency (plexes) either with irl money from CCP, or buy them for in-game currency (ISK) from other players whom have paid for it irl currency. At no point was ISK/plex rates "fixed" by ccp, and the rise of those rates over the years was a major community complaints.

Guild Wars 2, could give off the impression of being "fixed rate conversion" but as expressed by one of developpers some time ago, that is fancy fascade, for a system which automates trading of premium currency (gems) to in-game currency (gold) or vice versa by having a pool of both and automatically adjusting the conversion ratios based on those pools sizes, to ensure that at any given point player can do instant trade, but also ensuring that chances of either of pools actually running out are slim.

The main difference between these two, and STO tho is that there is a semi-constant demand for the in-game side of things - they use main farmable currency to pay for premium currency. STO on the other hand uses fancy time-gating mechanism disguising itself as a currency for one end of it, and this is what throws it out of whack, there is simply no constant demand for refined dill to sustain dilex.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    The only way we can have a terran faction, is if we are terran rebels, so we can have a little starting mission, and then business as usual (it would be fun to have some special choices of dialog on some missions)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,534 Arc User

That statement is a contradiction in itself really. If "not too many people really like playing the bad guy" how is that there are so many players flying around in ships wearing Terran liveries and using the ISS prefix? Why are players are falling over themselves over a bundle of Terran ships? How is it that there are players who are saying they'll spend considerable sum of money on the bundle just for the bundle-exclusive uniform?

Besides, whilst I'll concede that our character/the Federation don't run around murdering each other because Evil = stupid, I don't feel that we have an moral high ground in terms of how we approach fighting enemies. Or have they conveniently forgotten that we have delightful weapons that Assimilate our foes/ships and turn them against their former allies? That we use Thalaron weapons? And that's just two examples - we have a extensive arsenal of war-crime weapons, many of which would make even the Terran's flinch.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,181 Arc User

That statement is a contradiction in itself really. If "not too many people really like playing the bad guy" how is that there are so many players flying around in ships wearing Terran liveries and using the ISS prefix? Why are players are falling over themselves over a bundle of Terran ships? How is it that there are players who are saying they'll spend considerable sum of money on the bundle just for the bundle-exclusive uniform?

Besides, whilst I'll concede that our character/the Federation don't run around murdering each other because Evil = stupid, I don't feel that we have an moral high ground in terms of how we approach fighting enemies. Or have they conveniently forgotten that we have delightful weapons that Assimilate our foes/ships and turn them against their former allies? That we use Thalaron weapons? And that's just two examples - we have a extensive arsenal of war-crime weapons, many of which would make even the Terran's flinch.

Well, most of us are Terran Defectors... at least thats what i see in my chars, and also what i read of other people's chars... i have no problem playing the evil one, but some people do, acording to the complains in past missions that we where the "bad guy" and protomatter planets.. (i had no problem with it, but some do)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 3,302 Arc User
    I don't care about the Terrans or the Mirror Universe. But I believe there is some truth to the 'players playing defectors' claim.

I have a few 'Voth' characters. They ended up in Federation space after an accident in the Dyson Sphere they were studying disabled all their engines and they requested asylum.
    Most are free thinkers and scientists from species heavily influenced by the Voth.

Only one used to work for the Voth government and he now helps the Romulan Republic with developing de-indoctrination programs and propaganda countering. None of them wastes their time prosecuting people, the other ones command colony support ships and a mixed-colony development and research vessel.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    I am sure that it's possible to play a Terran without hurting anyone's sensibility:
    We know that the Terran Empire is in constant inner turmoil, i mean that it's not uncommon that overly ambitious captains and leaders try to ease their way to powers in manners we all know very well...

Smiley O'Brien ( and Spock, for that matter ) demonstrated that you don't necessarily Have to be the galaxy's meanest and evilest TRIBBLE. to be a Terran... we could be a disgraced captain, or a Smiley's O'Brien's loyalist, or even a Memory Omega/Spock follower... all origins that could lead us in the Alliance's Embrace alongside Leeta ( but for other reasons ), Other relevant Mirror Counterparts of Prime Universe NPCs could be our contacts... a Mirror LaForge, or Mirror Kurland, or Mirror Bashir ( if he survived ) could be our lead, in Bashir's case we can even pull a DS9 Mirror reference...

We could have a Storyline where we could be a Terran Officer, but with a plot that puts us at odds with the Empire and everyone in its favour ( Kuumarke/Killy ), and it could give a story to the Inquisitor, WE could be the Inquisitor and it would replace the Red Shift story arc like Victory Is Life made an alternative for the Gamma Quadrant Mission...

Just my two cents... i am fairly confident that you can Be a Terran Character AND Decent at the same time, and become an Alliance player... unless the change of management could grant Cryptic more juice and help them be more ambitious...

So a Terran Defector sub-faction like what many of us do now?

The problem is, the players who would create Terran captains are split. Some of us would be OK with that but some other players want to be a "real" Terran not a softie Feddie Bear-ran, someone who climbs the ranks in the Terran way.

Those people would not be happy, just like there are players who don't consider the Romulan Republic as "real" Romulans compared to a Romulan Star Empire faction.

Cryptic would only make (say) half of an already small group happy.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,900 Arc User
    Perhaps the original decision to only allow players to earn the game 'purchase' currency, C-Store points as it was then, without paying real money by directly exchanging the ingame 'earned' currency Dilithium with other players was flawed from the start.

I was always under the impression that in most so called free to play games, such as E.V.E, the currency earned in game can only be exchanged for the 'purchase' currency directly with the game publisher at a fixed rate, so there is never a risk of not enough, or none at all, being available to meet player demand.

The flaw in your reasoning is the fact that NO Zen is truly 'free' <--- Someone paid RL money for it at some point (even the LTS players who get 500 a month). It doesn't matter if someone decides to exchange it for Dil, someone paid money for it at some point in the chain; and if anything, having a 'healthy' exchange keeps others interested and gives those that actually spend, more people to play with (IE - TFs and other group content launches faster.)

With the DilEx in the sate it's in (lopsided demand) - some players may get frustrated and more pon to something (IE - another game/passtime) they find less frustrating.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Perhaps the original decision to only allow players to earn the game 'purchase' currency, C-Store points as it was then, without paying real money by directly exchanging the ingame 'earned' currency Dilithium with other players was flawed from the start.

I was always under the impression that in most so called free to play games, such as E.V.E, the currency earned in game can only be exchanged for the 'purchase' currency directly with the game publisher at a fixed rate, so there is never a risk of not enough, or none at all, being available to meet player demand.

The flaw in your reasoning is the fact that NO Zen is truly 'free' <--- Someone paid RL money for it at some point (even the LTS players who get 500 a month). It doesn't matter if someone decides to exchange it for Dil, someone paid money for it at some point in the chain; and if anything, having a 'healthy' exchange keeps others interested and gives those that actually spend, more people to play with (IE - TFs and other group content launches faster.)

With the DilEx in the sate it's in (lopsided demand) - some players may get frustrated and more pon to something (IE - another game/passtime) they find less frustrating.

Agreed - and this has been a contributing factor in why my online (gaming) time has been overwhelmingly committed to FFXIV for almost two months now.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,133 Arc User

Agreed - and this has been a contributing factor in why my online (gaming) time has been overwhelmingly committed to FFXIV for almost two months now.

its more than the dilex issue for me enjoying other games as of late...
    meh

its more than the dilex issue for me enjoying other games as of late...

Likewise - as I said, its a contributing factor but certainly not the only factor.
  • darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 145 Arc User

I have never been under any illusion that someone has to pay for the Zen at some point under the current model - I think I once called it 'Free to Play, Someone else pays' in one post a while back. It is more that I have never been a fan of the STO model to begin with, I probably just did not phrase it very well.

And as others have said, the exchange is far from the only issue to contend with when trying to continue playing this game. With all the good things said about it lately, I am thinking of taking a look at FFXIV to escape to as well.
  • mushoommushoom Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    No plans to make new recruitment events for Romulan or Discovery captains any time soon.

Why not?? the previous recruitments are now boring repeated over and again and now every year repeat why ??
    I'm not going to remake a new one every year it comes out...stupid idea...you need new recruits to keep it interesting.
    mushoom wrote: »
    No plans to make new recruitment events for Romulan or Discovery captains any time soon.

Why not?? the previous recruitments are now boring repeated over and again and now every year repeat why ??
    I'm not going to remake a new one every year it comes out...stupid idea...you need new recruits to keep it interesting.

Not for new players. New players don't find the re-runs boring.

Until Cryptic started re-running recruitment it was common to see threads asking for it. After the first re-run threads continued to ask for re-runs of the others from players who'd joined after the first time or missed them because of taking a break.
  • mushoommushoom Member Posts: 5 Arc User

Until Cryptic started re-running recruitment it was common to see threads asking for it. After the first re-run threads continued to ask for re-runs of the others from players who'd joined after the first time or missed them because of taking a break.

Thats all well and good but for how long till they're done with it as well???? Still need new recruitments same old same old wears thin after a while.

• keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,133 Arc User

Thats all well and good but for how long till they're done with it as well???? Still need new recruitments same old same old wears thin after a while.

much more than continual recruitments mate...its a common concern about this game as a whole for many things.

but as dave said...it was a highly requested option, and why? many new players wanted it, and many continual players wanted it for the account unlocks, the per toon perks that other toons dont get without it. valid reasons in my opinion to bring it back and alter which ones they do...klink now, maybe fed again mid year...who knows.

i see your point, but from a game perspective for new players, returning players, and long standing ones who may have missed it, it works for them.

meh

• livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited February 16
    Sad to say it, but I have a feeling the dilex is going to be like those removed Fed-KDF missions. In other words, something they are always asked about and something they always say they are working on but have no specific plans or dates to announce. And that same situation just goes on for years and years. But hey, I'd love to be wrong on this one.

oh make no mistake, they have 0 intention of fixing the Dilex. They are making more money now, why would they go back. the Dilex will eventually become a FCT topic and we'll get banned for bringing it up.

its sad that Cryptic as a business has not learned that happy players, are higher spending players. which is baffling as that is an incredibly simple concept. They also don't seem to understand what investment means, no wonder they had to sell to another company. its an incompetent studio.​​
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 8,377 Arc User

There already IS a recruitment event for Romulan characters.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,022 Arc User
    edited February 16
    You would have that same reasoning if KDF didn't get the KDF recruitment and only got Delta. Delta is available to Romulans but it's not Romulan based like KDF recruitment is KDF based.