test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Improvement Ideas

BACKGROUND:
I've played this game since beta, and immediately purchased the Lifetime Subscription the second it became available. Many of my friends did as well, and we started a Fleet and began loving everything about this game. I've continued building my character off-and-on, however, lately I just can't seem to get enough of this game. But years later, and I'm the only one of my friends still playing this game, and solo-building my fleet (level 8 :D ).

THE GAME STATE (the good stuff):
The game honestly just gets better and better; the more I learn, the more I learn to love this game more. <3 The ship designs are drop-dead gorgeous, the character and bridge officer customizations are endless (including builds). Star Trek is only getting stronger, and this game beautifully takes advantage of this, in all the best ways (Discovery, Picard, etc.). These things are simply unheard of in other MMO's. This game can only be compared to other MMO's in pieces, because it has something in common with all of them, and more.

The content packs are lovingly tied to STO Lore, and bring our most-loved actors and actresses to us in interesting ways, and the content seems like it never ends. The "daily" content rewards are top-notch. It feels like Christmas every time I open a daily reward box, or participate in some random encounter in any of the ongoing war zones.

The game has been free-to-play since the beginning, and this can't be overstated. Too many of

THE GAME STATE (the bad stuff...and what I need fixed in order to get my friends back):

Preface: However, the game isn't perfect, and it's problems are endlessly preventing my old AND new friends from (re-)joining this game. There's probably heaps and heaps of good ideas I could think of, but these few are the major ones I see time-and-again that directly affect my friends.

PROBLEM #1 - Unorganized UI:
I doubt anyone disagrees with me on this. Sure, everything is there at your fingertips, but also EVERYTHING is in your hands with only a few clicks. Personally, I love the amount of control I have with the UI, but finding the right information often results in many web searches, or hoping someone will answer in-game (which NEVER happens). Looking for Duty Officers required

SOLUTION #1 - Consolidate or Global Search:
Consolidate and Reorganize all of these tabs, and sub-windows, and on-screen buttons (e.g. the button to Beam to Ship vs the button on the right that often does the same thing, or replaces the button above). There should be a max of 3 main buttons to get me where I need to go, and from there please limit the number of clicks to get to what I'm looking for.

...even if you kept the UI, an in-game "Global Search" function to find certain screens or items would be amazing. I know there's hidden Search Bars throughout the system, but that doesn't quite solve this problem. Although I do really appreciate this feature!

PROBLEM #2 - Limited Help Info:
This has been an issue from the original design of this game. True information was meant to be hidden behind theoretical scientific ideas. It was an interesting idea to add mystery and lore, but the information provided now is severely lacking.

...many sections of the game aren't explained well enough to know what they do, and many functions don't have any help info as to what they're for.
Example:
  • Admiralty System, there's simply not enough info here to help me understand the benefits of its use, how to get more ships, what the rewards are...other than tiny icons. It's too time-consuming for what the rewards, and it almost eliminates the need for the rest of the game to exist!!!
  • Duty Officer Assignment Chains: nuff said...
  • Bridge Officer and Character abilities: This was one of my first issues with this game, and it still exists in an even more-confusing way. Now there are like 10 sources to obtain these abilities, with almost no in-game explanation of how to obtain them. Only a "Lock Box" icon for some abilities.

SOLUTION #2 - Remove or improve:
  • Remove the admiralty system. Nobody would complain. ;)
  • Remove Assignment Chains. Unless you plan to revisit this system and improve upon it, this has got to go. The rewards are great, but there's gotta be a better way to get them than this.
  • Brainstorm all the useful information that could be added here, and add it. Provide a source for the ability, and an icon to click directly to that source (Lock Box, Exchange, Event Store, etc)

PROBLEM #3 - No Marketing

Seriously how do I never hear about this game anywhere I go other than MMORPG's website? That site is constantly giving STO awards for such a great game, but that's pretty much the only place I hear about this game. Why is this game NEVER referenced in Ads for Star Trek shows, or Twitch, or mobile games?

SOLUTION #3 - Start Marketing
This game is polished enough now, that a little marketing could go a long way to the longevity of this game. Trillions of dollars are made in mobile games, and this has the same pay-to-win strategy that those do.

...I would even love a simple mobile side to this game that would let me access (e.g. Duty Officer Missions, the silly Admiralty System, character builds, etc).

...BETTER YET, move these systems to be mobile-only. They would run great there, and would free me to accomplish these activities while I'm going about my day. It would simplify the user-interface, and at the same time bring in a whole new audience of pay-to-win players. It's like a WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN scenario.

TLDR:
If you read this far, then perhaps you feel like I do, or maybe you'd love to disagree with me. I welcome any and all feedback! B)<3

It's an almost perfect game in many ways, and full of sooo much potential that it hurts. Yet it has a lot of baggage that comes along with being an MMO, and such an old one. Star Trek isn't going the way of the Dodo anytime soon, so why not ensure its legacy stands the temporal test of time!!
-MINI Cooper
"
Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we'll never die?
Who teaches us what's real, and how to laugh at lies?
Who decides why we live, and what we'll die to defend?
Who chains us, and who holds the key that can set us free?
It's you...you hold all the weapons you need...Now FIGHT!" Zack Snyder, Sucker Punch

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,472 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    geenyus wrote: »
    BACKGROUND:
    I've played this game since beta, and immediately purchased the Lifetime Subscription the second it became available. Many of my friends did as well, and we started a Fleet and began loving everything about this game. I've continued building my character off-and-on, however, lately I just can't seem to get enough of this game. But years later, and I'm the only one of my friends still playing this game, and solo-building my fleet (level 8 :D ).

THE GAME STATE (the good stuff):
    The game honestly just gets better and better; the more I learn, the more I learn to love this game more. <3 The ship designs are drop-dead gorgeous, the character and bridge officer customizations are endless (including builds). Star Trek is only getting stronger, and this game beautifully takes advantage of this, in all the best ways (Discovery, Picard, etc.). These things are simply unheard of in other MMO's. This game can only be compared to other MMO's in pieces, because it has something in common with all of them, and more.

The content packs are lovingly tied to STO Lore, and bring our most-loved actors and actresses to us in interesting ways, and the content seems like it never ends. The "daily" content rewards are top-notch. It feels like Christmas every time I open a daily reward box, or participate in some random encounter in any of the ongoing war zones.

The game has been free-to-play since the beginning, and this can't be overstated. Too many of

THE GAME STATE (the bad stuff...and what I need fixed in order to get my friends back):

Preface: However, the game isn't perfect, and it's problems are endlessly preventing my old AND new friends from (re-)joining this game. There's probably heaps and heaps of good ideas I could think of, but these few are the major ones I see time-and-again that directly affect my friends.

PROBLEM #1 - Unorganized UI:
    I doubt anyone disagrees with me on this. Sure, everything is there at your fingertips, but also EVERYTHING is in your hands with only a few clicks. Personally, I love the amount of control I have with the UI, but finding the right information often results in many web searches, or hoping someone will answer in-game (which NEVER happens). Looking for Duty Officers required

SOLUTION #1 - Consolidate or Global Search:
    Consolidate and Reorganize all of these tabs, and sub-windows, and on-screen buttons (e.g. the button to Beam to Ship vs the button on the right that often does the same thing, or replaces the button above). There should be a max of 3 main buttons to get me where I need to go, and from there please limit the number of clicks to get to what I'm looking for.

...even if you kept the UI, an in-game "Global Search" function to find certain screens or items would be amazing. I know there's hidden Search Bars throughout the system, but that doesn't quite solve this problem. Although I do really appreciate this feature!

PROBLEM #2 - Limited Help Info:
    This has been an issue from the original design of this game. True information was meant to be hidden behind theoretical scientific ideas. It was an interesting idea to add mystery and lore, but the information provided now is severely lacking.

...many sections of the game aren't explained well enough to know what they do, and many functions don't have any help info as to what they're for.
    Example:
    • Admiralty System, there's simply not enough info here to help me understand the benefits of its use, how to get more ships, what the rewards are...other than tiny icons. It's too time-consuming for what the rewards, and it almost eliminates the need for the rest of the game to exist!!!
    • Duty Officer Assignment Chains: nuff said...
    • Bridge Officer and Character abilities: This was one of my first issues with this game, and it still exists in an even more-confusing way. Now there are like 10 sources to obtain these abilities, with almost no in-game explanation of how to obtain them. Only a "Lock Box" icon for some abilities.

SOLUTION #2 - Remove or improve:
    • Remove the admiralty system. Nobody would complain. ;)
    • Remove Assignment Chains. Unless you plan to revisit this system and improve upon it, this has got to go. The rewards are great, but there's gotta be a better way to get them than this.
    • Brainstorm all the useful information that could be added here, and add it. Provide a source for the ability, and an icon to click directly to that source (Lock Box, Exchange, Event Store, etc)

PROBLEM #3 - No Marketing

Seriously how do I never hear about this game anywhere I go other than MMORPG's website? That site is constantly giving STO awards for such a great game, but that's pretty much the only place I hear about this game. Why is this game NEVER referenced in Ads for Star Trek shows, or Twitch, or mobile games?

SOLUTION #3 - Start Marketing
    This game is polished enough now, that a little marketing could go a long way to the longevity of this game. Trillions of dollars are made in mobile games, and this has the same pay-to-win strategy that those do.

...I would even love a simple mobile side to this game that would let me access (e.g. Duty Officer Missions, the silly Admiralty System, character builds, etc).

...BETTER YET, move these systems to be mobile-only. They would run great there, and would free me to accomplish these activities while I'm going about my day. It would simplify the user-interface, and at the same time bring in a whole new audience of pay-to-win players. It's like a WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN scenario.

TLDR:
    If you read this far, then perhaps you feel like I do, or maybe you'd love to disagree with me. I welcome any and all feedback! B)<3

It's an almost perfect game in many ways, and full of sooo much potential that it hurts. Yet it has a lot of baggage that comes along with being an MMO, and such an old one. Star Trek isn't going the way of the Dodo anytime soon, so why not ensure its legacy stands the temporal test of time!!

The game has not been free-to-play since the beginning, it started as a subscription-based game under Atari and Perpetual Entertainment and then Cryptic Studios was bought by Perfect World Entertainment. Now, it is under the ownership of Embracer Group (Gearbox). Stowiki is a good resource and is managed by people who play Star Trek Online. It is not official but still is better than just a lot of Google searches. I also recommend the Let's Plays of Brent Justice.

As for your problems with the UI, I don't think it is un-organized. More like it is not always intuitive to a new player where things are and is not always explained well in the tutorial.

Global search sounds like a good idea or improving the search bars we currently have in game since a season update. I would rather there be an option for this re-organization and consolidation instead of removing an option. Otherwise, muscle memory is affected for veteran players.

I agree with you on the limited help info. In regards to the Admiralty system, DOFF system, and BOFF and character abilities. That does need to be worked on.

I do not support the removal of the Admiralty system. Instead a better explanation of its purpose and what you can do with it.

I do not support the removal of Assignment Chains, just wish they would pop up more. Still trying to finish the Ghosts of the Jem'Hadar chain on my main Fed character which is a pain in the gluteus maximus. I have pretty much given up on ever getting it done unless they do a revamp of the DOFF system in the future.

As for the brainstorming it seems that lately they have been improving on making things easier to understand and accessible. Still more needs to be done though I agree.

There is marketing but surprisingly not on the Internet a lot. It is done at the Star Trek and gaming conventions. I do agree it does seem odd that it is not advertised in ads for TV shows (except on Youtube), Twitch, or mobile games. Maybe with the acquisition of Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios by Embracer Group (Gearbox) this will improve.

Star Trek Online is not pay-to-win though the Dilithium-Zen exchange does need to be worked on so that free-to-play can get the zen that they want from their dilithium so they can purchase the items that they want. As well as attract more players to get a lifetime subscription or buy things in the C-Store (Z-Store) using a credit card.

They one time had a portal called the Gateway but because of the code changes causing it to have to be turned off and back on again, bots, and not a lot of players using it or knowing of its existence, it was discontinued. The Foundry was also discontinued due to code changes and not a lot of players using it or knowing of its existence in both Star Trek Online and Neverwinter. There were good Foundry missions amongst other ones. Many Foundry authors still mourn its death and want it to return but I doubt that will ever happen.

I do not support moving these functions to mobile-only. That should be made an option not take away the other option. You can accomplish the other activities without doing the Admiralty and DOFF systems. Those systems are optional unless you want to do an endeavor that involves them.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    geenyusgeenyus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    THANKS!
    @sthe91 , thank you for the corrections in accuracy!! <3 I had forgotten the game began with a subscription model. I'm also glad you agree with me on some points. I sometimes wondered if nobody, including the players, felt that these issues weren't glaring problems with the game.

My requests for completely removing existing systems...that was more-or-less facetious. >:) They do add great value in many ways, but I was hoping to instigate action from the Devs.

BETTER SUGGESTIONS
    The Admiralty System works well enough, but could really use some polish to make it a beautiful system. Such as graphical loot drop display, similar to loot boxes. Maybe even some (skippable) miniature videos, and use in-game footage, showing these encounters playing out in real-time, that relates to the Admiralty Mission in question. It would add a sense of epic-ness that the Admiralty system is sorely missing.

Duty Officer Chains have such amazing benefits too, but I've encountered the same issues trying to complete them. Countless web searches, and hours flying around the universe, stopping/moving, etc, just to trigger the right sequence... I do believe that these rewards should be difficult, but not like this.

The best simplest solution I can think of? Make them to be accessible from anywhere, with the same "rarity" in appearance. I mean sheesh, we can Transwarp to almost any mission, anywhere, at any time. Why make these so difficult? Probably like the lowest of low in dev priorities I'm sure. I've seen forum posts about this issue dating back to 2016.

BEST SUGGESTION!
    One suggestion I forgot to mention, which if implemented properly, would really bring the STO community together, in my opinion. For users needing "help", there should be a reward system for helping players, to incentivize users to help other players that aren't as knowledgeable. Soooo many players have encyclopedia's of knowledge, but if you post a question in chat, you usually get "what 'r u gorn do to me?" remarks, instead of true help.

I'm not sure how to keep that system from getting abused though...
    -MINI Cooper
    "
    Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we'll never die?
    Who teaches us what's real, and how to laugh at lies?
    Who decides why we live, and what we'll die to defend?
    Who chains us, and who holds the key that can set us free?
    It's you...you hold all the weapons you need...Now FIGHT!" Zack Snyder, Sucker Punch
  • Options
    zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    PROBLEM #1 - Unorganized UI
    My biggest issue is the lack of a simple option to lock ALL windows in their place. Just a simple click anywhere in a new window often moves the window. It triggers my OCD every time.

The several stores all over the place are annoying. There are two on the minimap, one is somewhere hidden in the Doff Tabs and only pops up when you rank up or you can go to a certain NPC, the replicator is in the inventory next to the salvage and upgrade window. And the event store and reclaim rewards window is in the event tab of the MISSION journal.
    All except the salvage and upgrade window could be in one window seperated by tabs.

Then there is the event tab which currently lists five methods to gain progress for the event. Yet a third of the window is unused. There is just a huge gap and we have to scroll in the list on top. Its just a waste and inefficient. It makes me think the devs havent learned that we dont play with 640x480 resolution anymore.

The event campaign is still in the event tab. Totally useless. But the winter event which has ended is still there until the end of march to buy it out.

Now it gets funny.

The doff window. When Im in sector space doing the cluster chains, find a mission, see I need commodities, open the replicator... and the doff window resets. I have to find the mission in the list again.

Im at the bank, grab phoenix tokens, use them in my inventory to open the phoenix store, still have the bank open, I close the phoenix store... and my bank closes too.

Some windows prevent the buttons for the bank to show up as if both are somehow incompatible.

My inventory remembers its size and location after moving it one pixel in any direction. But the reputation tab cant remember the position I was at in the long list of any faction after switching to another tab.

I use ship batteries. They come in stacks of 20. I fit them into the device slot, save my loadout, change maps and I find all except one in my inventory. I load the loadout but sometimes it just moves a part of the stack back into the device slot, sometimes all. I move maps, same problem. Sometimes I have to do this all day long with every toon after logging in, after entering a TFO, after leaving a TFO, after beaming down/up... Often I just click on any ship item and I see the stack popping up in my inventory.

Im at the tailor because I got a new bridge officer. Cant have the new guy/girl running around not matching the rest of the crew. This is something I did not ever realize because its nowhere even indicated. By default when you edit a Boff they are in their UNIFORM. So I thought I just load one of the saved outfits which is supposed to only change the clothing, not the body. Nope! It changes the entire body with the outfit to match the saved outfit perfectly. Exactly what I didnt want. So out of curiosity I changed it from uniform to the unlocked outfit I want. I tried again to load the outfit and guess what the game does? It loads the outfit without changing the body which its supposed to do from the start!!

Its just ridiculous. This doesnt need an overhaul, this needs to be rebuild from the ground by someone with common sense.
    PROBLEM #2 - Limited Help Info
    Agreed. I had to consult the wiki to discover that we can gain good passive traits through the R&D system because there is absolutely no indication ingame.
    Remove the admiralty system. Nobody would complain. ;)
    I would actually. Many around me too. When you have the motivation to do it on a daily basis with several toons then its a great way to earn lots of dilithium. Re-engineering, reputation items and phoenix token arent cheap.
    Wow actually offers something similar. I occasionally enjoyed it.
    ...BETTER YET, move these systems to be mobile-only.
    NOPE! This is primarily a PC game. Everyone else gets what PC users get. Moving parts of the game to mobile only will cause a crapstorm you dont want to see.
    It's an almost perfect game in many ways, and full of sooo much potential that it hurts.
    Not really. Not by far actually. Yes, it has huge potential but the wrong people at the helm to take advantage of it.

The UI is a nightmare, the missions are very buggy, TFOs with bugs dont get any attention, we are now down to three missions per year instead of six as far as new content goes, there hasnt been a new zone in years...

As a player who loves story content I find the game doesnt really get new content that lasts longer than maybe an hour per content patch. I find that very sad. Especially the longer you play, the more you have seen. And what do we get every month? A new ship for a tiny minority of players.

Extremely wasted potential.

"Love the game, hate the incompetent people in charge" sucks.
    Post edited by zarasz on