test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extend the Support Date of Win 7 to match omega ending

rascally8abbit#2284 rascally8abbit Member Posts: 36 Arc User
Right now you have support for Windows 7 to end on Feb 17, while the anniversary even will end on the 25th of February. Isn't that sort of silly to pull support 7 days before a major event ends. I am leading the charge for those of us who play the anniversary event to have at least access to the game till the end of the event. PLEASE extend Win 7 support to end on the same day that the event for 12th Anniversary/Omega Particles.

I hope others will join in on this dash for Win 7 support end when the event ends not a week before. Please help to tell Cryptic to see the error.
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    Why? Windows 10 is even close to EOL, one would think that by now they have had enough time to switch from W7 to W10 that way they can also ask to support XP. Switch to W10, is still free to install. I recently upgraded three laptops running XP to W10, so don't come off saying it can't be done or that the hardware is not suitable.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Adding this to the list of things that people ask for that make zero sense.....
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    cxeronockx wrote: »
    Why? Windows 10 is even close to EOL, one would think that by now they have had enough time to switch from W7 to W10 that way they can also ask to support XP. Switch to W10, is still free to install. I recently upgraded three laptops running XP to W10, so don't come off saying it can't be done or that the hardware is not suitable.

Well, October 2025 isn't really close to end of life, but agreed on the rest. It's even still possible to upgrade an old OS to Windows 10 for free.

There is no real reason to facilitate this request, they likely have updates in place for the target time that take advantage of the ability to move forward from legacy OS support, I see no reason to impact the majority of the player base to appease a very small minority.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    I honestly don't understand why you would even worry about completing an event when you know that you won't be able to play afterwards to even use the reward from the event.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Everyone affected had ample warning time to upgrade their Windows version. It's clear you elected to do nothing, and are now looking for any excuse to avoid doing it still. It seems likely you would ask for another upgrade for any additional excuse you can try to grab if this was extended. We'd be in 2023 with "please, more porridge sir!" requests.

If you fall off, you fall off. There are a myriad of reasons why this needs to happen; your defiance and inaction are on you.

Add on:
    Windows 10 is FREE from the Windows website. You need an empty thumb drive or a DVD and burner to get started.
  • chanfron66chanfron66 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Well, October 2025 isn't really close to end of life, but agreed on the rest. It's even still possible to upgrade an old OS to Windows 10 for free.

There is no real reason to facilitate this request, they likely have updates in place for the target time that take advantage of the ability to move forward from legacy OS support, I see no reason to impact the majority of the player base to appease a very small minority.

Oh yes, allowing some people to get the anniversary ship before they can no longer play the game is REALLY going to impact the vast majority of player, you also forget these are the days of modern politics, the needs and demands of the tiny minority far outstrip the the majority, companies change their policies and settings lore to accommodate one persons twitter demands for fear of being canceled.

• Soft Tribble Warm Tribble, Little ball of fur, Happy Tribble, Sleepy Tribble, Purr Purr Purr
    • Hard Gorny, Cold Gorny, Big Ball of Scales, Angry Gorny, Fighty Gorny, Hiss, Hiss Hisssss
    • History will never forget the name "InvalidEntityName"
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    chanfron66 wrote: »

Oh yes, allowing some people to get the anniversary ship before they can no longer play the game is REALLY going to impact the vast majority of player, you also forget these are the days of modern politics, the needs and demands of the tiny minority far outstrip the the majority, companies change their policies and settings lore to accommodate one persons twitter demands for fear of being canceled.

Do we really need you to inject your obvious political leanings into this discussion?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    No. Windows 7 end of life was January 14, 2020.

Move on with your life. Either get the free upgrade to 10 or switch to Linux + Proton.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    chanfron66 wrote: »

There isn't a single valid point in this mess of a post. That's the only reply you're going to get and it's more then you deserve.

Move on people, out with the old.. in with the new.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Does "ending Win 7 support" mean that the game will stop working for it right then, or just that from that point forward, they won't be testing/making patches to keep that version working right? (i.e, is all this panic for nothing)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Does "ending Win 7 support" mean that the game will stop working for it right then, or just that from that point forward, they won't be testing/making patches to keep that version working right? (i.e, is all this panic for nothing)

ding ding ding ding Winner! that is exactly what will happen. Chances are that there is 1-2 years more life in the game for Win 7 users. the differences between 7 and 10 is no where near as much as xp and 7. as long as TLS and a few other protocols are valid on 7 it should work fine
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    kiralyn wrote: »

They intend to remove DirectX 10. Which means after that patch STO will no longer launch on windows 7, as it will require DirectX 11.

To the OP... you really need to give it up. Windows 7 online ? That is a terrible terrible idea. If you really have an aversion to Microsofts newer options, look at Linux. Many of us game happily on Linux.

If you really are going to stick with Windows 7 I would suggest disconnecting from the internet, for your own protection. (and to protect those you know... nothing sucks more then getting emailed nasties from friends and family)

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497603-upcoming-os-and-directx-support-changes
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Due to the somewhat volitile nature of this thread...
    I'mma just gonna close this one down for everyone's sanity. The only answer the OP is going to get is some variation of what has been provided by not only the Devs, but other forumites. This isn't even a discussion, its gonna turn into beating the OP over the head with the fact the minimum system requirements are changing. No real point to continue saying the same thing in new and creative ways on this one.
    Computer... End Thread.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.