test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 12th Jan 2022

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,534 Arc User
Thanks and acknowledgement to Som (aka TheSajuukKhar on Reddit) for posting this on Reddit - copied to forums so that it can be discussed here too:

Anniversary ship is "gorgeous" according to Kael

The lockbox coming with the anniversary has a ship that is just "ridiculous". Can't say what the theme is, but says it "might make us envious" as a teaser

Three guest stars for the 12th anniversary. One of which is "very exciting". Chase Masterson is one of the other two

One new episode, and a new TFO, is coming with the anniversary update

Will be a new ship pack will be coming a few weeks after the anniversary

Kael will ask about a TOS tricorder costume option for the shoulder slot

Kael heard hopeful news about DSC Andorian species the other day, but things have shifted since then so hes not sure if thats still hopeful news

Grudge is coming to the game sooner then you think, but less soon then Kael thought

As far as Kael knows Champions will keep running even after the Gearbox purchase because its profitable

Kael would love to do a Lower Decks style TFO where you just go around a ship scrubbing things. He admits it would have to have no rewards or else people would just play it constantly

There were talks of STO doing a crossover with another scifi IP, but Kael only mentions it because he believes the deal has fallen through. Though says it may not

Red Alert events don't really increase the amount of time people play, just keep the player counts from other events going

If they were to make a Lower Decks TFO it would still look like normal STO since trying to recreate all the assets in a cartoony style would be too hard. Could try to throw a Champions style cell shade effects over it

Reason Cryptic doesn't do more music from the TV shows/movies is because they don't have the rights to that music

Ability to further expand bank space depends on data use

If Cryptic were going to bring back Memory Alpha they would update it, but to get the time to update it they need a good reason to bring it back/update it

Kael has expressed to the team making elite marks like normal marks and out of normal inventory

Tailor being unrestricted is an unequivocal no. Every costume piece has hundreds of yes/no things for what it works with clipping wise/in canon that would need to be changed

Unlikely that weekly set unlocks will return since featured TFOs work better at bringing in more people/having them be more interested then featured episodes ever did. Also more fun to have more options to play with during events then featured episodes

Items getting into Mudds/Phoenix boxes depends on Jeremy/Jared getting the time to do it. Sometimes thats easy, sometimes its not

Similar amount of new content in 2022 as in 2021

Kael not sure why wandering NPCs are gone in Firct City/when they will return

There will be free giveaways this year

Kael will pass on the NX vanity shield idea

Kael will pass on the feedback about heads/uniforms taking forever in tailor to load on console

If they do another event campaign this year its likely to have a similar prize to last years

The idea for the new guitar Terran music came from art director Bill Yates in a playtest of that episode

No plans for more original songs right now

No plans for any new BoPs right now

No new badges for the Anniversary update that Kael is aware of

Will check on Tzenkethi Front not being on console

New materials being added to older ships depends on if someone on the ship team has the time to do it

Kael's favorite thing for STO in 2021 was the Klingon metal song

We will be getting new Terran ships for sure

Kael will poke the devs about fixing joysticks again

No new ship specs planned at this time as far as Kael knows, but that could change over the year

Blogs for the anniversary event starts next week

No ETA on when the Guardian of Forever will come back

Two new ships being announced next week

As always, far too much 'coming sooner than you think' and 'can't say what X is' for my tastes.

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,304 Arc User
    There's a lot of sooner than you think can't say what it is because he's under an NDA not to disclose it until they are ready to disclose it.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the ships being announced next week are the anniversary ship & the next lock box ship, as they have been releasing the anniversary towards the end of January for the last several years.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,534 Arc User
    edited January 13
    There's a lot of sooner than you think can't say what it is because he's under an NDA not to disclose it until they are ready to disclose it.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the ships being announced next week are the anniversary ship & the next lock box ship, as they have been releasing the anniversary towards the end of January for the last several years.

Okay - firstly this is NOT directed at you at all - just to be clear on that.

I'm aware that he's under an NDA - but Cryptic's policy of feeding us breadcrumbs about upcoming content is tiresome to the extreme. Literally EVERYTHING is a big secret that they 'can't talk about'. I know they're paranoid about the nasty community saying nasty things to them, but I've never known a game that has to make a big damn secret of literally anything new of everything.

I mean seriously - they're being secretive about when a damn (NPC) CAT is coming to the game! Pointlessly obvious remarks about how Grudge is a "Queen" aside, is this event so incredible and significant that it would cause FFXIV-style server queues if it were revealed early or something?

I despair.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,774 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Three guest stars for the 12th anniversary. One of which is "very exciting". Chase Masterson is one of the other two

I believe Al said in his interview the other day that Mary Chieffo was in it as well, so that just leaves the "very exciting" one. In that same interview Al also said it was the first time he was actually star struck in a recording session, so it sounds like this is going to be someone big. I've seen some people speculate that it could be Scott Bakula based on something Al said on Twitter, though I personally think Frakes or Brooks would make more sense for the story right now.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    No ETA on when the Guardian of Forever will come back

Like that's a surprise, nothing is being done about content removed from the game people have been wanting back FOR YEARS. At this point, Kael might as well just start mentioning Terradome in the same way.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    The lockbox coming with the anniversary has a ship that is just "ridiculous". Can't say what the theme is, but says it "might make us envious" as a teaser

Its the Maathai:
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftrekmovie.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F01%2Fdsc-s3-fedship-concept-maathai-640x287.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,108 Arc User

I honestly want to get excited about something with this game again, like I have been about various things in the past. LOR and VIL were probably the peaks for me. Unfortunately, they are making such a small amount of content these days...I just don't know what to say.

I mean, I get that the quality is much higher than it used to be. There's no denying that. But it's just such a small amount of new playable content for an MMO.

I'm starting to feel like the only way I can enjoy this game is to basically not play it much. Basically, find some other game to enjoy on a daily basis, and only log back into STO a few times a year when something new comes out.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    Its the Maathai:
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftrekmovie.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2021%2F01%2Fdsc-s3-fedship-concept-maathai-640x287.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Something like that, I'd expect that to be an Infinity Promo ship, not a lockbox ship.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    edited January 13

I honestly want to get excited about something with this game again, like I have been about various things in the past. LOR and VIL were probably the peaks for me. Unfortunately, they are making such a small amount of content these days...I just don't know what to say.

I mean, I get that the quality is much higher than it used to be. There's no denying that. But it's just such a small amount of new playable content for an MMO.

I'm starting to feel like the only way I can enjoy this game is to basically not play it much. Basically, find some other game to enjoy on a daily basis, and only log back into STO a few times a year when something new comes out.
    That's exactly the point I am at. I've turned my attention to FFXIV and only dip into STO occasionally now. And the sad thing is, I don't feel as if I'm missing anything (particuarly not with the vast wealth of actual story content FFXIV enjoys). Loathe as I am to repeat myself, it really does seem like the only time there is news regarding STO it's about something new to buy (more often than not its another expensive bundle or gamblebox) or yet another daisy-chained event that expects us to replay recycled content with a new FOMO unlock.

And much of what was said in the Livestream just reinforces that feeling for me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,764 Arc User
    edited January 13
    No new badges for the Anniversary update that Kael is aware of

We don't need no steeenking badges!!

Seriously, we don't. We've got way too many badges as it is.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,133 Arc User
    yay...more paywall BS to not be interested in.

thanks for the post, but this list is the same old fluff and hype that does nothing for me. ymmv though.

i no longer care if a new ship is in a LB that requires millions of keys to get (yes i have very bad luck). i guess the only thing that really is something to look forward to, even with the pathetic hype, is the anni ship.

all the rest? well, why bother having 10forwards if its all like this all the time?

all i really got from this was...look for new things to buy, but dont look for fixes to things that are dorked or that people want.

again, my take, not to be focused on any other person as ymmv.
    meh

• zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited January 13
    If I had to guess, I'd say the new Lockbox ship might be the Viridian. Considering both the "envious" hint and the well known phrase "green with envy." After all, we would be talking about an Orion's ship with a name that even means blue-green. Also I think there was an old comment regarding how they planned to make it someday, but were having a bit of trouble, at the time, with its tentacle grappler things. Just my two cents of course. o:)
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 3,302 Arc User

Its the Maathai:

I hope that will be the Anniversary ship. It's unlikely, but still.

It seems to be one of those niche ships that are fun to people who are into commanding flying cities/ecosystems/planets/whatever, but not really interesting to the playerbase at large because it's such a strange thing. Hence, it may not be popular/profitable enough as a lockbox or promo ship, but good enough for a freebie.

I'd love to have it on all toons.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    There were talks of STO doing a crossover with another scifi IP, but Kael only mentions it because he believes the deal has fallen through. Though says it may not

Hopefully it's the Expanse, and not something fantasy-like Star Wars.
    The idea for the new guitar Terran music came from art director Bill Yates in a playtest of that episode

Ok... I haven't played the latest episode yet, but I might be in more of a hurry to check it out now. :)
    Unlikely that weekly set unlocks will return since featured TFOs work better at bringing in more people/having them be more interested then featured episodes ever did. Also more fun to have more options to play with during events then featured episodes

This is unfortunate.

More people might be tempted to play with TFO/time restricted sets. But that doesn't mean that more people like it. I prefer having sets of gear available at all times through an episode. Instead of being forced to get it now when I'm not even sure I'll use it yet - just because you won't be able to in the future.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

This is unfortunate.

More people might be tempted to play with TFO/time restricted sets. But that doesn't mean that more people like it. I prefer having sets of gear available at all times through an episode. Instead of being forced to get it now when I'm not even sure I'll use it yet - just because you won't be able to in the future.

This.

Its the epitome of FOMO - just because players are funneled into playing content to obtain a particular item or items doesn't mean they LIKE that conent.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,661 Community Moderator
    Oooo... TOS Tricorder cosmetic possible... Me like.
    And GRUDGE!

The issue with that is the physics. Star Trek uses Semi-Neutonian physics for ships, so they kinda move like they're in an atmosphere and actually bank when turning. Expanse uses full Neutonian physics from what I am aware of, meaning they don't bank and you can literally do a 180 without losing momentum. Other examples of full Neutonian physics is the reboot Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5.

Not only that, Expanse has no shields, so any ships involved would probably get shredded instantly.

While its doable with enough planning... in a combat oriented game like STO I'm a little less sure about that.

Would be interesting to see what ends up crossing over though if it does happen.

66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,774 Arc User

I doubt it's the expanse, imo the most likely candidate would be Galaxy Quest via a T6 Protector.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,108 Arc User

I doubt it's the expanse, imo the most likely candidate would be Galaxy Quest via a T6 Protector.

That would actually give me something to be excited about :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Oooo... TOS Tricorder cosmetic possible... Me like.
    And GRUDGE!

The issue with that is the physics. Star Trek uses Semi-Neutonian physics for ships, so they kinda move like they're in an atmosphere and actually bank when turning. Expanse uses full Neutonian physics from what I am aware of, meaning they don't bank and you can literally do a 180 without losing momentum. Other examples of full Neutonian physics is the reboot Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5.

Not only that, Expanse has no shields, so any ships involved would probably get shredded instantly.

While its doable with enough planning... in a combat oriented game like STO I'm a little less sure about that.

Would be interesting to see what ends up crossing over though if it does happen.

Good point.

But to be honest, the more realistic space movement and combat is exactly why I'd like them to take inspiration from The Expanse. It would be difficult though indeed.

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 4,288 Arc User
    If they did a crossover with The Expanse it would have to be the people only, or the ship would have to be something almost entirely ring-tech. As it is, the current level of tech on this season of The Expanse compared to Star Trek tech would be like a Roman legion "guest starring" in a 21st century battle (or even worse). And not only are all their weapons kinetic with nothing to wear down the shields of a Trek ship, their best weapons are railguns which throw small chunks of metal at impulse speeds...

Star Wars would be a lot closer, but still at a disadvantage tech-wise for the most part.
  • corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 2,072 Arc User
    If they did a crossover with The Expanse it would have to be the people only, or the ship would have to be something almost entirely ring-tech. As it is, the current level of tech on this season of The Expanse compared to Star Trek tech would be like a Roman legion "guest starring" in a 21st century battle (or even worse). And not only are all their weapons kinetic with nothing to wear down the shields of a Trek ship, their best weapons are railguns which throw small chunks of metal at impulse speeds...

Star Wars would be a lot closer, but still at a disadvantage tech-wise for the most part.

The Orville?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,900 Arc User

The Orville?

probably Doctor Who - and I say that because EVE Online is doing a crossover with that IP - and who knows, they may have approached STO/CBS first and the deal fell through.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    edited January 13

This is unfortunate.

This.

Its the epitome of FOMO - just because players are funneled into playing content to obtain a particular item or items doesn't mean they LIKE that conent.

Bingo.

But they don't care what people actually enjoy, it's just about numbers and the current system gets people to log in every day. The REAL reason that sets are now TFO rewards and not Episode rewards is because you can go back and do episodes anytime. The TFO system forces people to do it now or miss out forever. FOMO inflates the numbers while aggravating the player base, but for Cryptic.. that's a win.

Read through it all, and it's the usual plate of steaming hot disappointment. The most time was spent talking about new 'shineys' to pay a ton of money for and there is a single new episode coming that will provide 20-35 min of entertainment and then another 3-4 months of 'buy this' bundles and promos.

*yawn*

And the actual issue with an Expanse crossover is the fact that it's owned by Amazon. You guys need to think much cheaper, this is PWE we're talking about.
    That's exactly the point I am at. I've turned my attention to FFXIV and only dip into STO occasionally now. And the sad thing is, I don't feel as if I'm missing anything (particuarly not with the vast wealth of actual story content FFXIV enjoys). Loathe as I am to repeat myself, it really does seem like the only time there is news regarding STO it's about something new to buy (more often than not its another expensive bundle or gamblebox) or yet another daisy-chained event that expects us to replay recycled content with a new FOMO unlock.

This is exactly where I am now as well. I just play something that's actually fun most of the time and occasionally pop into STO when there is something to do.. I mostly log in to chat with a couple people from the fleet who also scaled way back on STO.

I no longer think of STO as a full MMO like FFXIV, ESO, or similar. It's more of a 'play it a few times a month/year' title then something you want to play every day. Out of all the online games I play though, this is the only one that tries to force me to log in by holding things over my head that I will never be able to get again.

I just learned to no longer care.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > I honestly want to get excited about something with this game again, like I have been about various things in the past. LOR and VIL were probably the peaks for me. Unfortunately, they are making such a small amount of content these days...I just don't know what to say.
    >
    > I mean, I get that the quality is much higher than it used to be. There's no denying that. But it's just such a small amount of new playable content for an MMO.
    >
    > I'm starting to feel like the only way I can enjoy this game is to basically not play it much. Basically, find some other game to enjoy on a daily basis, and only log back into STO a few times a year when something new comes out.

I've been at this point for years. I will play for a couple weeks after a content drop until the excitement of the new content wears off. Then it's back to other games for several months.
    probably Doctor Who - and I say that because EVE Online is doing a crossover with that IP - and who knows, they may have approached STO/CBS first and the deal fell through.

Well... there are crossover comics already with Doctor Who, and physics don't factor in. I can see us getting costume unlocks from that. No ships though.
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 3,900 Arc User

Well... there are crossover comics already with Doctor Who, and physics don't factor in. I can see us getting costume unlocks from that. No ships though.

I'm sure we would have seen the British Police lockBOX at some point. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 36,961 Arc User
    edited January 14
    It had a far higher chance of being Doctor Who or Transformers, being those two IPs have already crossed over with Star Trek before...in comics, granted, but they were still crossovers.

Actually, I think there might've been something with the X-Men too, but that might've been a different franchise.

But I do know it absolutely wasn't The Expanse...the universes are just fundamentally incompatible with each other - Expanse is based heavily in realistic science and physics and Star Trek may as well be fantasy for all the TRIBBLE they've come out with since the beginning - and Star Trek's just way too advanced anyway; the tech available to even minor powers makes the most advanced tech of the Laconian Empire look primitive in comparison.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Actually, I think there might've been something with the X-Men too, but that might've been a different franchise.

Nope. They had two crossovers with X-Men. One comic, I believe was called Second Contact, where the X-Men and the crew of the Enterprise-E (right after the events of First Contact) faced off against Kang the Conqueror. Then we have the sequel novel Planet X, where the X-Men actually get pulled into the Star Trek universe a year after (at least for the Enterprise crew) they first met, and helped with an emerging mutant crisis on an alien planet, which was caused by hostile aliens wanting to make weapons out of the people.

Spoiler: Worlf and Wolverine have respect for each other as warriors. Also Storm and Picard have a great deal of respect for each other.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 159 Arc User

Nope. They had two crossovers with X-Men. One comic, I believe was called Second Contact, where the X-Men and the crew of the Enterprise-E (right after the events of First Contact) faced off against Kang the Conqueror. Then we have the sequel novel Planet X, where the X-Men actually get pulled into the Star Trek universe a year after (at least for the Enterprise crew) they first met, and helped with an emerging mutant crisis on an alien planet, which was caused by hostile aliens wanting to make weapons out of the people.

Spoiler: Worlf and Wolverine have respect for each other as warriors. Also Storm and Picard have a great deal of respect for each other.

There was also the TOS/X-Men crossover comics, which was published first.
    At that point, Star Trek comics were being published by Marvel anyways, so makes sense they cross i over with their most popular collection of super heroes.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,133 Arc User
    wow. a crossover...gonna have to rethink my long standing commitment to this game depending on what it is.
    meh